CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C6 Tech/Performance (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-tech-performance-101/)
-   -   My corvette shop, Robbed me... (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-tech-performance/3217733-my-corvette-shop-robbed-me.html)

PRicanC6Xpress 02-13-2013 01:25 PM

My corvette shop, Robbed me...

I have a question, I took my car to my local corvette shop. Rather not mention any names because I don't know if he overcharged me. I'm not a mechanic so I paid 135.00 to tow my c6 to the shop. I gave him brakes and rotors that I purchase here on the forum. I purchased all Items that I'm gonna mention.. I gave him a center console carbon fiber to put on and also a start button. Eboot and shifter boot. He bleed the brakes changed them all around plus installed the rotors. He painted the calipers red. He left the (abs) light on. He says the right rear sensor is no good. that's the reason the light is on. He painted the rotors red, the calipers look really nice.. He charged me 700.00.

Do you guys think that was too much to pay, or could he have been a little more reasonable. I just wanted to add, I gave him my credit card and he said I will have to charge you for the taxes. So I asked him to give me the keys so I can go pick up the money at the bank 2 miles away. He said he needs the money. Mind you I have used him two times before and have paid him cash on the spot both times. I just was not thinking this time because my friend that was giving me a lift there had a doctors appointment... Should I use him again or was he reasonable and regarding the money. That is how he runs his shop...

JudgeNjury 02-13-2013 01:38 PM

I would suggest it's best to settle charges before the work begins.

PRicanC6Xpress 02-13-2013 02:23 PM

Thanks

Originally Posted by JudgeNjury (Post 1583112856)

So, what do you think about the price, your the judge jury.....I asks that but he does not want to give estimates....

timd38 02-13-2013 02:29 PM

Sounded fair to me.

PRicanC6Xpress 02-13-2013 02:31 PM

Thanks

Originally Posted by JudgeNjury (Post 1583112856)

So, what do you think about the price, your the judge jury.....Lol..

C7&7 02-13-2013 02:31 PM

$700 doesn't seem too bad I suppose for doing the brakes, painting the calibers, installing the center console, etc. Thanks about 5-6 hours worth of work and shakes out to about $100 or a little more per hour. Sounds like you guys need to have a more clear understanding next time. I don't get the impression he tried to get one over on you.

PRicanC6Xpress 02-13-2013 02:32 PM

K

Originally Posted by timd38 (Post 1583113317)
Sounded fair to me.

Okay cool, want to get an idea, Thanx.....

PRicanC6Xpress 02-13-2013 02:35 PM

I know him for some time. We treat each other w respect.....

cclive 02-13-2013 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by timd38 (Post 1583113317)
Sounded fair to me.

:iagree::iagree:

EyeMaster 02-13-2013 03:24 PM

He did lots of work for you. Consider shop hours can be as high as 160$ per hour, it's not so bad. Painting the calipers means taking them off the car, cleaning them, bleeding the brakes, so it's a lot of work. Changing the console is something I have never tried because there's too much potential of breaking clips and having the reinstall not fit quite nicely, so then again that's expensive labour. The cheapest thing you got done were to change the brakes.

cclive 02-13-2013 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by EyeMaster (Post 1583113775)
He did lots of work for you. Consider shop hours can be as high as 160$ per hour, it's not so bad. Painting the calipers means taking them off the car, cleaning them, bleeding the brakes, so it's a lot of work. Changing the console is something I have never tried because there's too much potential of breaking clips and having the reinstall not fit quite nicely, so then again that's expensive labour. The cheapest thing you got done were to change the brakes.

:iagree::iagree: Things like painting calipers and installing consoles are not traditional jobs for a mechanic...you just have to accept his hours for things like that. I certainly would have charged much more for that work than he did. If he breaks a clip on the console, it's his problem...he deserves to be compensated for that kind of risk.:thumbs:

PRicanC6Xpress 02-13-2013 03:40 PM

So he actually took care of me......

speedraider 02-13-2013 04:14 PM

you got f***ed ....:yesnod:

cclive 02-13-2013 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by PRicanC6Xpress (Post 1583113905)
So he actually took care of me......

Yup...so now get out there and enjoy a great car with all that cool new stuff!:D

C7&7 02-13-2013 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by speedraider (Post 1583114161)

:lol:

ParisTNDude 02-13-2013 06:24 PM

Sounds like too much to me, but he's supposed to invoice you listing the parts he used and the number of hours worked. Dealership service center rates are based on the shop rate manual and those are probably 50% higher, since they usually complete the tasks in way less time than the shop rate calls for...you pay the shop rate anyway.

I wouldn't go back to them simply because they wouldn't allow you to go get cash for the payment...that's really poor..they at least could have offered you a ride.

glenB 02-13-2013 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by speedraider (Post 1583114161)

:iagree:

vettenutchas 02-13-2013 07:07 PM

If he will not give you a price ahead of time find another place. He can do the work and give you any price he wants with you having no idea what he will charge. If he can not figure a price ahead of time he must not have much of a idea what if involved to do the job which makes me wonder if he knows what he is doing. If he runs into unexpected trouble he can contact you and you can tell him what you want to do after he explains what needs done and again how much that work will cost!

JCtx 02-13-2013 07:20 PM

Where I live he definitely overcharged you. But in other places, maybe not. Bottom line is you should NEVER allow anything to be done to your car without a clear understanding of the charges first. Open-ended quotes only entice techs/patrons to overcharge customers. Since the 'damage' is done, I'd let it go if the guy did a great job. But apparently he damaged one of your sensors, and they aren't cheap. If he didn't advice you of possible damage at your own expense, it's his responsibility to fix it. If he needs to do that, I'd say he's a good guy. If not, find somebody else. Good luck.

ricknyc23 02-13-2013 07:28 PM

Pm me who you used. Since I'm from LI as well it would be good to know...