CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C1 & C2 Corvettes (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c1-and-c2-corvettes-4/)
-   -   My 62 Fuelie- This will get interesting! (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c1-and-c2-corvettes/3216883-my-62-fuelie-this-will-get-interesting.html)

edub63vette 02-11-2013 10:20 PM

My 62 Fuelie- This will get interesting!

So,,a few of you may remember I picked up the "deal of the century" on my 62 fuelie several months ago. Actually, my good friend knew a retired gentleman who he has known for years, who owned the vette since 1967 and was the second owner. He bought the car and immediately suffered "buyers remorse" and sold it to me.

Fast forward to this week and I have had it parked in my shop and not been around it for a while. I went over to mess around with the car and discovered it does not have the VIN tag on the top of the steering wheel column! I cannot believe something so basic was overlooked when I rec'd the car. I had originally asked my friend if he checked the VIN (which he said yes), however, he only checked it from the title to the engine block to ensure it was the original "born with" fuelie engine. I guess I was too focused on verifying the car was an original fuelie and totally spaced the obvious.

Here is the interesting part. The State of Indiana requires a police check on out of state cars so I had an officer look at the car, he took the title VIN, and he ran the car through, which came back clean. He hardly even looked at the car. So, I take the police report and and the Tenn title to the Indiana DMV and get my title work finished.

So now I am sitting with a clean Indiana title and a car with no VIN tag!!

In doing research I think these are my options;

1. Get a repo VIN tag from Datatags in Colorado, who requires verification (clean title, owners, VIN tag picture from frame, etc.) and spot weld it back on. I am assuming this is ok if I can verify the VIN on the frame.

2. Get a state issue VIN from the State of Indiana, if I can. Seems like this will be an issue since I already have an Indiana title.

3. Part the car out, just kidding (kinda)

I went to the shop today and tried the wooden wedge on the frame trick (from the inside to create more clearance) and a mirror, but did not see anything. I have also heard the VIN is about 1/4 inch from the outside of the (top) frame (middle of driver's seat location), so I will have to try it again as I was looking more from the inside frame.

In any event, quite pissed at myself as you would guess.

So, the question is, what is everyones input on what course they would take if they were in my "stupid" shoes????

Any input welcome,,,,,,Eric

66jack 02-11-2013 10:30 PM

Better hope the Frame matches the Title...:trainwreck:

Ironcross 02-11-2013 10:56 PM

.the top of the steering column is where the Vin tag is located...its nothing to do with the trim......as there isn't any trim tags

http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/f...tes/107512.jpg

all this tag really identifies is the production number...{or the Vin}....

edub63vette 02-11-2013 11:14 PM

My bad,,,should have stated VIN tag, not trim,,,,,,,,,,
And yes, 66jack, you will hear the screaming from your house if they do not,,,,,

66jack 02-11-2013 11:17 PM

Originally Posted by edub63vette (Post 1583099747)
My bad,,,should have stated VIN tag, not trim,,,,,,,,,,
And yes, 66jack, you will hear the screaming from your house if they do not,,,,,

You will be out there after midnight jacking the body up checking...:lol:

emccomas 02-12-2013 08:32 AM

Did you ask the seller about the VIN tag? Does he have it? Did he know it was missing from the steering column?

hedgehead 02-12-2013 08:41 AM

:lurk:

wmf62 02-12-2013 08:42 AM

don't worry about it... if someone asks, say: "gee, it must have fallen off" (and a lot did...)
Bill

Frankie the Fink 02-12-2013 08:58 AM

A state issued VIN tag is the kiss of death for your car's value. Do number 1 in your list.

MikeM 02-12-2013 10:17 AM

I believe Indiana requires two different points of identification on out of state inspections. In your case it could have been engine, body, frame.

The cop should have caught it. He didn't and you have a clean title so no problem until you sell it. To cover that, I believe I'd get the replacement VIN plate from whoever makes them and never look back.

edub63vette 02-12-2013 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by MikeM (Post 1583102005)
I believe Indiana requires two different points of identification on out of state inspections. In your case it could have been engine, body, frame.

The cop should have caught it. He didn't and you have a clean title so no problem until you sell it. To cover that, I believe I'd get the replacement VIN plate from whoever makes them and never look back.

Seems like the best option to me as well. Will be heading back to the shop later today to (hopefully) find the VIN on the frame. Not sure what is involved if I have to jack the body up a few inches. Given my understanding on the location, is it safe to assume I need to look for the VIN on the top (outside) part of frame? I had read that it is 1/4 inch from the outside (top) of the frame. I looked yesterday from standing under the car (on the lift) but did not see anything.

I am checking to see if the 2nd owner has the VIN tag, he is not too happy that my friend did not keep the car so I will see how that works out.

Lot of "glares" from the wife right now,,,,,,,,,,:hide::hide:

OldKarz 02-12-2013 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by MikeM (Post 1583102005)

:iagree: The hard part is over.........

wilbur 02-12-2013 11:03 AM

I used play doh to get a impression of my vin off the frame and there was no need to jack the body.
You'll also need a pudy knife or paint stick or something to push the play doh down into the top of the frame

jdk971 02-12-2013 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by wilbur (Post 1583102397)
I used play doh to get a impression of my vin off the frame and there was no need to jack the body.
You'll also need a pudy knife or paint stick or something to push the play doh down into the top of the frame

good idea
silly putty or ask your dentist for some mold stuff may work better
more smooth than playdough. after cleaning area and letting dry. jim

ps. this is what happen at Mershons a couple of months ago. a young
female agent saw a 63 vette with weld marks on vin and got a search
warrant. 20 osp guys came in and took two cars. Mershon sued the osp and i think attorney generals office. official apology and posible settlement will be released soon. jim

edub63vette 02-12-2013 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by jdk971 (Post 1583102615)
good idea
silly putty or ask your dentist for some mold stuff may work better
more smooth than playdough. after cleaning area and letting dry. jim

ps. this is what happen at Mershons a couple of months ago. a young
female agent saw a 63 vette with weld marks on vin and got a search
warrant. 20 osp guys came in and took two cars. Mershon sued the osp and i think attorney generals office. official apology and posible settlement will be released soon. jim

I have a dentist that lives next store, good input.
In regards to Mershon's,,,,,,,car will not leave shop until I have a resolution,,,,,,,:thumbs::thumbs:

MaineDoc 02-12-2013 12:24 PM

My story about DMV is that investigating official insisted that my VIN on my 64 coupe was bogus. Everyone knows that the VIN should be on the door jam. Because it was not she insisted that the VIN plate had been altered. I'm really glad she didn't inspect my 62 because "someone" moved the VIN to the steering column. Can you imagine?

GCD1962 02-12-2013 12:49 PM

Make your own tag and affix it to the steering col. You have all ther legal paperwork, you just don't have the tag

MaineDoc 02-12-2013 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by GCD1962 (Post 1583103312)
Make your own tag and affix it to the steering col. You have all ther legal paperwork, you just don't have the tag

He could even use a label maker to create the tag because he has the title. The real issue is when this Corvette needs to find a new home, and they all do at some point. I sure would be scared of buying a car without a proper VIN tag, no matter what paperwork came with it.

edub63vette 02-12-2013 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by MaineDoc (Post 1583103359)
He could even use a label maker to create the tag because he has the title. The real issue is when this Corvette needs to find a new home, and they all do at some point. I sure would be scared of buying a car without a proper VIN tag, no matter what paperwork came with it.

As long as I document the VIN on the frame I am hoping that this, and getting the replacement VIN Tag, should be ok for most potential buyers.
As well as having a police report ran on the VIN, which came up clean.

If I do not find the VIN on the frame then make sure you check the "Parts for Sale" section of the forum, as there will be some "interesting parts" listed for sale,,,,,,,,,,,:(:(:(

wmf62 02-12-2013 01:20 PM

i'd buy the whole car just as it sits...
Bill

mgsabrsula 02-12-2013 02:10 PM

If the number on the frame matches, I might get in line in the number two spot. With your paper work and a matching frame number. If a repro tag is put on the steering column correctly it will probably never raise a doubt.

My first Corvette was a '61 fuelie. I was 15 years old. I remember asking my dad then "what happens if you have to change out the steering column?" The VIN number location never made sense to me even back then.
Mike

edub63vette 02-12-2013 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by mgsabrsula (Post 1583104028)
If the number on the frame matches, I might get in line in the number two spot. With your paper work and a matching frame number. If a repro tag is put on the steering column correctly it will probably never raise a doubt.

My first Corvette was a '61 fuelie. I was 15 years old. I remember asking my dad then "what happens if you have to change out the steering column?" The VIN number location never made sense to me even back then.
Mike

Great, TWO potential buyers!!! Getting tied up at work today. Will be heading over later to search again.
I took about 20 pictures of the car on Sunday and was going to load a link to my photobucket. For some reason every time I try to go to the photobucket site it redirects me to a "beta" address and just sits there, trying to load.

3310vette 02-12-2013 05:28 PM

The dental product is an alginate; a powder mixed with water that sets up like silly putty in about 60 seconds. Dentists use it to make impressions for night guards. A couple of ounces and the appropriate amount of water (cold if you want to slow down the set time) would be enough to spread out over top of a cleaned frame, but you would need to know that you are in the right place. Sometimes you can use a dental mirror and shine a light on the mirror and see the numbers, but the area is usually dirty and rusty; making the VIN difficult to see. On a 1960, it is just below the driver's seat.

edub63vette 02-12-2013 08:33 PM

Good News Everyone, found the VIN on the frame,,,,,and it MATCHES!!!

Great big sigh of relief!

Once I looked on the outside of the top frame it was easy to find. Used a mirror to confirm numbers. Using the wood wedge to give me another 1/2 inch was a big help. No rust at all, just a little dirt I had to wipe off.

I will sleep MUCH better tonight,,,,,:blueangel::blueangel:

66jack 02-12-2013 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by edub63vette (Post 1583107750)

Once I looked on the outside of the top frame it was easy to find. Used a mirror to confirm numbers. Using the wood wedge to give me another 1/2 inch was a big help. No rust at all, just a little dirt I had to wipe off.

I heard a scream of JOY instead of anguish.....:lol:

wilbur 02-12-2013 08:51 PM

That's great news!!!

esema 02-12-2013 09:53 PM

Congrats! :thumbs:

Kerrmudgeon 02-12-2013 09:57 PM

Originally Posted by edub63vette (Post 1583107750)

That's great news. NOW, it I was you, I would order up a new plate and just keep it with your papers, but don't install it. You don't need any prying eyes judging your install of a phony plate. One day when you sell it you can pass it along to the future owner, with the whole story. :thumbs:

SpartyGW 02-12-2013 10:02 PM

I'd love to see a picture of the wood shim where you used it. I've been under my car a few times with silly putty, play-doh and a mirror and can't find anything on the frame. Haven't tried the shim though.

edub63vette 02-12-2013 10:07 PM

Originally Posted by Kerrmudgeon (Post 1583108555)
That's great news. NOW, it I was you, I would order up a new plate and just keep it with your papers, but don't install it. You don't need any prying eyes judging your install of a phony plate. One day when you sell it you can pass it along to the future owner, with the whole story. :thumbs:

What phony plate are you talking about? I THOUGHT I lost it but discovered it had fallen on the shop floor,,,,,,,,:D:D:D

Just kidding of course.

Plasticman 02-12-2013 10:11 PM

What type of proof does Datatags require for verification that the frame number matches? I would assume a photo? Were you able to take one using the wedge & perhaps a mirror?

Congrats on the "match"!

Plasticman

edub63vette 02-12-2013 10:21 PM

Originally Posted by SpartyGW (Post 1583108594)
I'd love to see a picture of the wood shim where you used it. I've been under my car a few times with silly putty, play-doh and a mirror and can't find anything on the frame. Haven't tried the shim though.

Sparty,

Currently having photobucket issues but can shoot you a picture the next time I am at the shop. Just pm me your contact.
Just took a wooden garden stake and cut it to about 5 inches. Put it on the outside of the frame a few inches between the top frame rail and floorboard and gently hammered it in just a bit to raise the floor about 1/2 an inch. I put the stake about 6-8 inches towards the back from where the serial number is at ( the serial number is located about where your wallet would be if you were sitting in the driver's seat), straight down. The numbers were to the left of the stake. There was just some hard dirt (not rust). I marked the spot on the side of the frame with a marker and used a rag soaked in paint thinner and pushed the rag through the top frame and kind of "buffed" it.

Hope that helps,,,,,,,

edub63vette 02-12-2013 10:24 PM

Originally Posted by Plasticman (Post 1583108686)
What type of proof does Datatags require for verification that the frame number matches? I would assume a photo? Were you able to take one using the wedge & perhaps a mirror?

Congrats on the "match"!

Plasticman

That is my plan, I need to get more details from them. I know the cost is $300.00 :eek:

SpartyGW 02-12-2013 10:35 PM

Originally Posted by edub63vette (Post 1583108774)
Sparty,

Currently having photobucket issues but can shoot you a picture the next time I am at the shop. Just pm me your contact.
Just took a wooden garden stake and cut it to about 5 inches. Put it on the outside of the frame a few inches between the top frame rail and floorboard and gently hammered it in just a bit to raise the floor about 1/2 an inch. I put the stake about 6-8 inches towards the back from where the serial number is at ( the serial number is located about where your wallet would be if you were sitting in the driver's seat), straight down. The numbers were to the left of the stake. There was just some hard dirt (not rust). I marked the spot on the side of the frame with a marker and used a rag soaked in paint thinner and pushed the rag through the top frame and kind of "buffed" it.

Hope that helps,,,,,,,

That does help. I wasn't sure about hammering it in there. Any fiberglass creaking noises during that? I'll have to give it a try.

edub63vette 02-12-2013 11:33 PM

Originally Posted by SpartyGW (Post 1583108895)
That does help. I wasn't sure about hammering it in there. Any fiberglass creaking noises during that? I'll have to give it a try.

No creaking noises. 2 or 3 taps on the hammer does it and I could pull it out by hand. :cheers:

INMYBLOOD 02-13-2013 08:57 AM

Good News, now go buy a lottery ticket.

waltonb123 02-13-2013 09:35 AM

That's too bad, you could have bought a custom frame added a new steering column and called it a restomod, then you could have taken it to Barrett Jackson and sold it for $150,000!:rock:

edub63vette 02-13-2013 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by waltonb123 (Post 1583110882)
That's too bad, you could have bought a custom frame added a new steering column and called it a restomod, then you could have taken it to Barrett Jackson and sold it for $150,000!:rock:

Can't I still do that??? :D:D:D

Actually I would like to have a resto-mod, have to decide how far I want to go in restoring the 62 fuelie before I look for another(of course I would have to trade or sell the 62). It runs perfect and only needs a good clean up and a paint job. 78k original miles and second owner has had it since 1967. I did replace the Keystones with stock tires (well radials) and hubcaps. Put on new brakes, clutch, and it runs great!!!!!!

wmf62 02-13-2013 10:06 AM

don't resto an original fuel car..... :toetap:
Bill

waltonb123 02-13-2013 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by edub63vette (Post 1583110994)
Can't I still do that??? :D:D:D

Actually I would like to have a resto-mod, have to decide how far I want to go in restoring the 62 fuelie before I look for another(of course I would have to trade or sell the 62). It runs perfect and only needs a good clean up and a paint job. 78k original miles and second owner has had it since 1967. I did replace the Keystones with stock tires (well radials) and hubcaps. Put on new brakes, clutch, and it runs great!!!!!!

Well I'll give you $20,000 right now! (You know...since it doesn't have a vin tag):rofl:

edub63vette 02-13-2013 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by wmf62 (Post 1583111086)
don't resto an original fuel car..... :toetap:
Bill

NEVER would do that Bill.
Now a 62 driver? Game on!!!!!!!
Like I said, if I ever went down that route I would trade/sell the original fuelie first.

edub63vette 02-13-2013 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by waltonb123 (Post 1583111118)
Well I'll give you $20,000 right now! (You know...since it doesn't have a vin tag):rofl:

Ha!!!!!!
What new VIN tag?
Darn it, I knew I shouldn't have started a thread on this!!:D:D:D

edub63vette 02-17-2013 04:55 PM

Update below with pictures. Also found numbers on tranny as well.

I hope this link works, been having trouble with photo bucket.

http://s1063.beta.photobucket.com/us...fuelie%20vette

JohnZ 02-17-2013 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by edub63vette (Post 1583147865)
Update below with pictures. Also found numbers on tranny as well.

I hope this link works, been having trouble with photo bucket.

http://s1063.beta.photobucket.com/us...fuelie%20vette

I didn't see it mentioned in any of your prior posts, but I'm sure you're aware that the block pad stamp has been messed with. :thumbs:

wmf62 02-17-2013 05:19 PM

what is the extra vacuum line running from the DS plenum fitting going to?
Bill

wmf62 02-17-2013 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by JohnZ (Post 1583147979)
I didn't see it mentioned in any of your prior posts, but I'm sure you're aware that the block pad stamp has been messed with. :thumbs:

do you mean the 'CE' stamp?
Bill

JohnZ 02-17-2013 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by wmf62 (Post 1583148057)
do you mean the 'CE' stamp?
Bill

That, and the "112346RF" above it, and whatever is also below it - can't make it all out from the photo. :thumbs:

wmf62 02-17-2013 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by JohnZ (Post 1583148098)
That, and the "112346RF" above it, and whatever is also below it - can't make it all out from the photo. :thumbs:

you're right, there are a bunch of numbers/letters on there.
Bill

edub63vette 02-17-2013 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by wmf62 (Post 1583148039)
what is the extra vacuum line running from the DS plenum fitting going to?
Bill

Bill,

Not sure will have to check. I am not a a stamping expert, which is why I needed some advice. Not sure whats is wrong with the numbers, however, not saying I would know what was right!!
Can anyone elaborate?

edub63vette 02-17-2013 06:13 PM

I wondered what the CE meant, however, upon zooming just noticed all those other numbers/letters.

Not sure what the heck those are! Sure looks like a re-stamp to me!! Will have to go over to shop and get that paint off for a better look.

Only saving grace is that I did not pay a 100% verified pedigree price. I guess the $40k I paid has to be now considered a "fair" price and not the deal I was hoping for.

Really strange given the length of time the 2nd owner had it (since 1967) and had a mild restoration in the late 80's. This car wasn't even for sale, my friend talked him into it since he had only put about 200mi on the car in the last 20 years.

Very, very, strange,,,,,,,,,,,

wmf62 02-17-2013 06:18 PM

all-in-all i think you made a GREAT deal and have a great car; one i would be proud to own...
:thumbs:
Bill

edub63vette 02-17-2013 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by wmf62 (Post 1583148518)
all-in-all i think you made a GREAT deal and have a great car; one i would be proud to own...
:thumbs:
Bill

Thanks Bill, will enjoy getting her all shined up! :cheers:

6T7L71CPE 02-17-2013 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by edub63vette (Post 1583148469)
I wondered what the CE meant, however, upon zooming just noticed all those other numbers/letters.
Really strange given the length of time the 2nd owner had it (since 1967) and had a mild restoration in the late 80's. This car wasn't even for sale, my friend talked him into it since he had only put about 200mi on the car in the last 20 years.

Very, very, strange,,,,,,,,,,,

CE is a replacement engine code. Heck, the original owner could have blown the original engine within a hour of driving it off the car lot!!

62Jeff 02-17-2013 10:04 PM

Originally Posted by 6T7L71CPE (Post 1583150165)
Heck, the original owner could have blown the original engine within a hour of driving it off the car lot!!

CE Program wasn't in place in time to put a warranty motor in a 62.

Ironcross 02-17-2013 10:07 PM

You did well

All in all its a nice car as I do have a soft spot on clean 62 FI pieces....and its about 99% all there ....I don't know what the extra line to the FI is all about.......do you have some close up pictures in that area?

but, .......:thumbs:

.and i`ll drink to that......:cheers:

edub63vette 02-17-2013 11:43 PM

Originally Posted by Ironcross (Post 1583150579)
All in all its a nice car as I do have a soft spot on clean 62 FI pieces....and its about 99% all there ....I don't know what the extra line to the FI is all about.......do you have some close up pictures in that area?

but, .......:thumbs:

.and i`ll drink to that......:cheers:

Thanks,
I will get some more pictures this week. Not sure about the extra
line to the FI. Will be interesting. Sure runs great though.
Thanks

wmf62 02-18-2013 08:14 AM

Originally Posted by 62Jeff (Post 1583150555)
CE Program wasn't in place in time to put a warranty motor in a 62.

i can't see if it has a road draft tube; at this point it could be any SBC engine, but if it runs good i wouldn't even bother to try to figure it out if i had to take it apart to do it.
Bill

John McGraw 02-18-2013 09:41 AM

A.G. Backeast (Datatags), makes a nice C1 VIN tag. No DMV or police officer will ever give one a second look. They have made several for me over the years for C1 cars, and his work is outstanding. These things had a bad habit of falling off. His requirements for documentation are strict, and non-negotiable. The last thing he wants is the have the law knocking on his door someday. A real gentleman, who makes the best Automotive data tags in the business. He has been doing this for many years.

If your state will not allow it, he won't make you one, but if your state allows it, you will be hard pressed to find a more correct tag anywhere.

Regards, John McGraw

edub63vette 02-18-2013 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by John McGraw (Post 1583153115)
A.G. Backeast (Datatags), makes a nice C1 VIN tag. No DMV or police officer will ever give one a second look. They have made several for me over the years for C1 cars, and his work is outstanding. These things had a bad habit of falling off. His requirements for documentation are strict, and non-negotiable. The last thing he wants is the have the law knocking on his door someday. A real gentleman, who makes the best Automotive data tags in the business. He has been doing this for many years.

If your state will not allow it, he won't make you one, but if your state allows it, you will be hard pressed to find a more correct tag anywhere.

Regards, John McGraw

John,

Thanks, sent my order in last week to him with copies of documentation.
Not cheap, however, glad to hear he has a strong reputation for quality.

Thanks