CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C1 & C2 Parts (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c1-and-c2-parts-59/)
-   -   1965 327/375hp radiator cap (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c1-and-c2-parts/3214323-1965-327-375hp-radiator-cap.html)

moonframer 02-07-2013 11:28 AM

1965 327/375hp radiator cap

anyone know the correct cap for my 65 fuelie? I see the books call for both a #13 lb and a #15 lb. Thanks, Jim

stingrayl76 02-07-2013 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by moonframer (Post 1583058392)
anyone know the correct cap for my 65 fuelie? I see the books call for both a #13 lb and a #15 lb. Thanks, Jim

AC model 307 cap rated at 13psi is correct for your car. The 15psi cap was used on A/C cars.

JohnZ 02-07-2013 02:37 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Looks like this - note the aluminum rivet. :thumbs:

moonframer 02-07-2013 08:47 PM

rad cap

Thanks for your reply and info. Do you sell caps? Need one for my car that will be judged in survivor class at Bloomington....

JohnZ 02-08-2013 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by moonframer (Post 1583063490)
Thanks for your reply and info. Do you sell caps? Need one for my car that will be judged in survivor class at Bloomington....

Nope, but Joe Perri in Chicago can probably take care of you. (312) 307-1977. :thumbs:

moonframer 02-08-2013 05:16 PM

rad cap

thanks, I will call Joe

Mike Ward 02-08-2013 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by moonframer (Post 1583063490)

You're going to buy repro parts to help with survivor judging?

moonframer 02-08-2013 09:40 PM

re pro parts?

Not really sure what your comment means about buying repro parts~??

Mike Ward 02-08-2013 10:33 PM

'Survivor' judging means just that- a car survived untouched and unmolested in orignal but maybe deteriorated condtion. Fixing/restoring/swapping parts sort of defeats the purpose.

If the original cap was lost somewhere along the way, so be it. It didn't survive.

Thorson 02-09-2013 01:12 AM

Originally Posted by Mike Ward (Post 1583073622)
'Survivor' judging means just that- a car survived untouched and unmolested in orignal but maybe deteriorated condtion. Fixing/restoring/swapping parts sort of defeats the purpose.

If the original cap was lost somewhere along the way, so be it. It didn't survive.

Makes sense to me... including the purpose and defeating part.

moonframer 02-09-2013 04:21 PM

So let me get this straight.. If you find a wonderful old "fuelie" like mine and the rad. cap is not functional or the tires are worn, or the belts are needing replaced, you should not replace them. Did you create the definition of a "survivor" ?
I have had wonderful old Corvettes judged as "survivors" by very knowledgeable judges at Bloomington. According to your standards, there is not a true "survivor in existence".
Once you change a filter, wiper blade, brake pad, rad. cap etc., you no longer have a "survivor" Do some research before you make such a ridiculous statement about survivor"

Mike Ward 02-09-2013 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by moonframer (Post 1583078429)
So let me get this straight.. If you find a wonderful old "fuelie" like mine and the rad. cap is not functional or the tires are worn, or the belts are needing replaced, you should not replace them. Did you create the definition of a "survivor" ?
I have had wonderful old Corvettes judged as "survivors" by very knowledgeable judges at Bloomington. According to your standards, there is not a true "survivor in existence".
Once you change a filter, wiper blade, brake pad, rad. cap etc., you no longer have a "survivor" Do some research before you make such a ridiculous statement about survivor"

So present it with the cap that's on it now or a current service replacement if it's defective rather than trying to fool the judges with an old cap from somebody else's car. Putting a service replacement cap, tires, filters or belts is honest, expected and is obviously not an attempt to fool anybody or hide anything. Cars are original only once.

The point of Survivor Judging or NCRS Bowtie is to present preserved, original cars the way they came from the factory not a possibly skewed vision of what somebody today thinks they once were.

MikeM 02-09-2013 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by Mike Ward (Post 1583071076)
You're going to buy repro parts to help with survivor judging?

Atta' boy Mikey! Just saw this!

:D:lurk:

ifitgoesfast 02-09-2013 07:55 PM

I don't think that's a survivor car. It's restored, with patina.

JohnZ 02-09-2013 08:04 PM

Bloomington Gold "Survivor" judging isn't particularly difficult - each of the four areas only needs to be 50% original, and you can fail one area completely with no penalty; only three of the four areas need to pass. :thumbs:

ifitgoesfast 02-09-2013 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by JohnZ (Post 1583080139)
Bloomington Gold "Survivor" judging isn't particularly difficult - each of the four areas only needs to be 50% original, and you can fail one area completely with no penalty; only three of the four areas need to pass. :thumbs:

[edit: starting new thread, as to not hijack this one]

Is there any difference between:
Survivor
Bowie
Restored using used OEM parts that are correct

Thanks

JohnZ 02-09-2013 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by ifitgoesfast (Post 1583080264)
[edit: starting new thread, as to not high jack this one]

Survivor
Bowie

Thanks

"Survivor" is a Bloomington Gold-copyrighted term for their judging process for unrestored Corvettes.

"Bowtie" is an NCRS-copyrighted term for their much more rigorous Star/Bowtie judging process for unrestored Corvettes.

Restored Corvettes whose focus is the appearance of originality are judged in NCRS in the Flight Judging process, and at Bloomington Gold in the Gold Certification process. :thumbs:

Mike Ward 02-09-2013 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by ifitgoesfast (Post 1583080264)
Survivor
Bowie

Thanks

Originally Posted by JohnZ (Post 1583080419)
"Survivor" is a Bloomington Gold-copyrighted term for their judging process for unrestored Corvettes.

"Bowtie" is an NCRS-copyrighted term for their much more rigorous Star/Bowtie judging process for unrestored Corvettes.

Restored Corvettes whose focus is the appearance of originality are judged in NCRS in the Flight Judging process, and at Bloomington Gold in the Gold Certification process. :thumbs:

As John says, except that 'Bowie' might refer to David Bowie. Not sure he's into Corvette Judging.

Sorry, just had to. :D

Obviously this type of stuff irks me. Trying to fool the judges serves little purpose, it's the owner that's fooling himself in the end or possibly screwing a buyer.

I was aware of a situation where the owner of a true-blue original FI car was looking to get a Bowtie award. In preparation and to assure his chances, he removed the FI unit and shipped it off to a restorer to have him make the unit look more original and aged and remove the traces of normal maintenance that had occurred over the decades.

Sorry, that's 'restoring' not 'preserving'. :toetap:

moonframer 02-09-2013 10:42 PM

I hate to spoil your little fairy tale Mikey. Unless a Corvette left the St. Louis plant and was NEVER serviced in any way ( like a rad. cap being changed 40 years ago at a service station with an aftermarket type) there are maybe a couple of cars that have survived time with NO replacement parts....Most cars that are awarded the prestigious Bowtie award have some replacement parts (maybe early on by a Chevrolet dealer or recently by the current owner) and the owners are not trying to fool anyone. Replacing a part like a rad. cap (with a correct factory original) IS PRESERVING not RESTORING.

Mike Ward 02-10-2013 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by moonframer (Post 1583081244)
Replacing a part like a rad. cap (with a correct factory original) IS PRESERVING not RESTORING.

Umm, sorry. You've got it backwards. Good luck with your award.