CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C3 General (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c3-general-119/)
-   -   vinyl wrap (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c3-general/3212366-vinyl-wrap.html)

taylor34 02-03-2013 11:50 PM

vinyl wrap

Hey--

I saw a thread on this about 1 1/2 years ago in this forum but no one had ever tried doing it to a c3 at that point. My question is, has anyone tried it now? My 72 has a deteriorating paint job up front, basically it needs a repaint but that's probably 3 years away I'm guessing due to the 5k to 10k price tag. I had forgotten about the vinyl wrap diy option until today, and it looks like they've got some nice colors that would work. But before I would even attempt to undertake something like that, I'd like to know if anyone else had ever took a shot at it. Thanks

TheSkunkWorks 02-04-2013 12:22 AM

I saw an episode of "How Do They Do That" not too long ago where a Union Jack wrap was applied to a Lotus Exige. Don't recall the cost, but I'd think a C3 shouldn't be any more difficult for a real pro shop.

:cheers:

diehrd 02-04-2013 08:28 AM

I think wrapping a c-3 would be pretty str8 forward , except the rear deck and quarter panels , there you will need one real big section of wrap because there are no breaks in the surfaces. Well at least on my 1980 there are not any .

7T1vette 02-04-2013 12:09 PM

I put a wide vinyl stripe on my hood/rear deck and found the process to be rather difficult...dealing with the curves/humps on the car and keeping the air bubbles out of it. I wouldn't want to attempt doing the whole car without a lot of help from experienced folks.

If you want it done right, you'd best just take it to a business that does this all the time. It will be costly [not as much as a paint job] and it won't last more than a few years, unless you keep it coated with a UV filtering coating like Nu-Vinyl or Meguiar's protectant for plastics. Zaino (a polymer polish) might also block UV and still keep the surface shiny.

I think you would get the best prices in a large metropolitan area where there is a bigger market for this stuff. Keep us "in the loop" if you do more research or actually have it done.

diehrd 02-04-2013 12:11 PM

The new wrap is very easy to work with air bubbles are easy to eliminate with the newer 3M wrap.. It is designed specifically to deal with air bubbles.. I just think that rear quarter area and back deck would be a problem because you would need a sheet way bigger then is sold on line.

7T1vette 02-04-2013 12:17 PM

Also be aware than any little surface defect...bump, nick, pit, bubble...will show up just as badly when covered with a vinyl surface. It will NOT hide defects, unless you prepare them properly [filling, sanding, etc.] before installing it.

briankeery 02-04-2013 12:50 PM

Look into Plasti-Dipping the car. Should get you by until you're ready to paint, and it'll probably be a lot cheaper than wrap.

CaptPaul 02-04-2013 02:19 PM

How hard is it to remove Plastic Dip when you are ready for paint??? Thanks, PW

TheSkunkWorks 02-04-2013 03:16 PM

I'd suspect "they" make wrapping a curvy body look a lot easier than it actually is...

briankeery 02-04-2013 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by CaptPaul (Post 1583031625)
How hard is it to remove Plastic Dip when you are ready for paint??? Thanks, PW

Well, according to this vid, it's looks fairly straightforward.

Jerry82 02-04-2013 05:07 PM

I have worked with vinyl graphics and a wrap is not as easy as it looks, but if you pay to have it done is no big deal for installers. i would not recommend tackling it yourself because you may be out the $$$ invested on the vinyl. my $.02

Redwing01 02-04-2013 06:10 PM

I know I wouldn't attempt it but it does look pretty cool!

donnie1956 03-30-2013 11:25 PM

https://www.dipyourcar.com/home.php. Looks pretty easy and a color change in an afternoon. Something to consider if you don't have the $5-8K for a full on strip and paint.

holden7896 03-31-2013 12:00 AM

I did 2 stripes on the fender like the new grand sports and that was challenging. Took about 2 hours and it wasn't flawless. I would not even think about attempting the whole car.

harris1507 03-31-2013 12:10 AM

Originally Posted by briankeery (Post 1583030897)
Look into Plasti-Dipping the car. Should get you by until you're ready to paint, and it'll probably be a lot cheaper than wrap.

LOL, If you get the bunch of match box cars of your year and try the different colors to see what looks best.

Sorry in advance if this offends anyone!

AdamMeh 03-31-2013 12:49 AM

Can do some amazing stuff with wraps, but they do "wear out" quicker than paint.

I know this isn't a Corvette, but I found the color to be pretty amazing. Got me thinking that our '77 would be a good promotional car for my business. Not talking about putting words all over it, just a color that works. The color you see below is seriously being considered.

http://www.dgermancar.com/wp-content...-rear-view.jpg

79CalShark 03-31-2013 02:33 AM

I used vinyl wrap in another car and, depending on your objective, it may be a viable alternative but keep in mind that over time (time, weather and exposure), the vinyl will lift where folded, even if it is professionally applied. In my case, I used it as an accent on the hood and trunk and eventually replaced the vinyl with paint. Turned out to be an expensive exercise.