CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C6 Corvette General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion-74/)
-   -   Who does your mechanical work... (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion/3212054-who-does-your-mechanical-work.html)

arrie 02-03-2013 12:14 PM

Who does your mechanical work...

I know many of you do your own work, and I wish I could too, but I don't have the equipment or the know how. I am SO lucky to have a great guy that lives nearby who does build vettes and races them....he does my work. But I have often wondered what I would do without him...and there are a few things he doesn't do, but he refers me to who he uses.

For those of you who do not do your own work, who does your work?

Dealer?
Local Mechanic?
Other Vette owner?
any others?

Are vette "groups" common? For instance a vette owner that has equipment doing work for others (for a fee of course)? Do people other than my friend do this?

I'm just curious...if my buddy leaves I'm screwed :willy:

Corvette ED 02-03-2013 12:22 PM

I do most of my own work. What I can't do I have a couple of friends who have auto repair shops and they can do anything.

calemasters 02-03-2013 12:26 PM

Me, myself and I.

cmonkey713 02-03-2013 12:55 PM

Me! Nothing like cardboard on concrete.

Wayne O 02-03-2013 01:08 PM

"Who does your mechanical work..."

It depends on what needs to be done. I do what work I'm comfortable doing myself. I also have a friend (I race with) who helps....he's forgotten more about cars than I'll ever know and he has a separate, 3-bay garage/shop with a lift. I've also used a variety of performance shops both in Arizona and in Texas (21st Century Muscle Cars and LG Motorsports). Occasionally, there are certain things that the dealership is best suited to do. I'm involved with the serious Corvette racers in Arizona so word gets around as to who to use for what. Again, it just depends on what I'm doing to the car.

I'm not sure where you are but I suggest you contact local Corvette Club members to see whom they recommend. For routine things there are likely good dealerships or independent mechanics around. For more performance related work, find serious Corvette racers in your area.....NASA or SCCA events would be a good place to look. Good luck.

Tally Ho 02-03-2013 01:16 PM

I do all of my own work that doesn't require specialized equipment. When it's a big job, I have a couple of friends that are very good with a wrench and live close by to lend a hand.

Warranty work I would have done by the dealer just so it would be on record. My 06 has only had one warranty claim since new and that was for the convertible top headliner replacement. The 13 only has 1500 miles on it with no claims to date.

Jimini 02-03-2013 01:36 PM

My local GM dealer does all my work They have a great service dept. :thumbs:

weathermaker 02-03-2013 01:39 PM

I change the oil, replaced the exhaust, wiper blades and do the small stuff. Dealer takes care of big stuff. Harmonic balancer was one thing, alignment for another.

Johnny_B_Good 02-03-2013 01:41 PM

ECS of course......

These guys did the repairs and maintenance for me over the past 7 years. As far as I'm concerned these guys are the very best. They are about an hour and a half from you but well worth the trip.

http://www.eastcoastsupercharging.com/

Rich Mickol 02-03-2013 01:47 PM

Kerbeck. Never had a problem there. Mine is not a daily drive so I don't rack up the miles. They change the oil once a year.

davidtcpa 02-03-2013 01:52 PM

All my work is done by Horsepower Sales in Pompano Beach, FL.

http://hpsalesflorida.com/

Nobody else touches my car!! Jeremy, Roger, & Co are the best! :thumbs::thumbs:

LEAVINU 02-03-2013 01:53 PM

Do a lot myself but if I can't I only trust my guys at Lamar Walden Automotive.

ZO ZICK 02-03-2013 01:54 PM

gotjuice?

obxchartercaptain 02-03-2013 02:33 PM

I have and do all my own work. Having said that...Oil changes, fan belts and brakes are all I've had to do on my cars & trucks over the last 30 yrs. Before that, I had done major motor rebuilds, tranny's and rears.

Today's cars last a long time and I haven't had the need to tear into any of my car/trucks. However, I would be LOST if something went wrong with the computer.

Larry/car 02-03-2013 02:35 PM

Other than the roof, my car has been trouble free. I had the roof recall, completed by warranty. My clear top developed cracks, replaced by warranty. Only other item was the battery started to have issues, replaced but most of the issues turned out to be iPhone interference with FOB. I had a blackberry before and had no interference problems with it. Removed and replaced battery, change oil and replaced the rear axle fluid, that's it.

jonesaut 02-03-2013 02:40 PM

All mechanical work in my own shop.
Body work front end alignment outside source.

Presently doing maintenance 158,000 + miles.
Complete change of fluids P/S, Brakes, ATF,
coolant, Rear end.

Will be back on road soon for trip to Fl.

72 and hope to keep going awhile longer.

:):)

mcandrew67 02-03-2013 03:19 PM

I do some of my own work, and for that which I don't I am lucky enough to have an awesome performance shop, "Torq", so close that I can drop my Vette off and walk home.:rock:

rakuhn 02-03-2013 03:33 PM

I have an excellent dealership that sell and works on a lot of Vettes.

DSOMC6 02-03-2013 04:20 PM

I do most of the work on the TT C6 with the exception of allignment, machining (heads @ WCCH) and dyno/tuning is by Westech Performance Group.

I've done my own upgrades to suspension (coilovers/sways etc), installed heads, cam, timing chain, lifters, HB, starter etc and all the general maintenance. I've also had to troubleshoot fuel and electrical issues. There are other things I'd rather be doing sometimes, but on the other hand I've saved thousands of $$ over the years. Performance modified cars are fun but require work. I highly recomend having some basic mechanical abilities, a few tools and a place to work on your car if you go in that direction. The internet is a great tool to research issues etc. There is a TON of good info available for free. :cheers:

dvilin 02-03-2013 04:41 PM

Turner Automotive in Victor NY.