CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C5 General (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-general-103/)
-   -   Here is a good one for ya... (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-general/3211171-here-is-a-good-one-for-ya.html)

Mr.Bill 02-01-2013 06:36 PM

Here is a good one for ya...

Really nice day today so I thought I would take the Vette and get it all cleaned up.
When I pull in there is another C5 there getting detailed and I asked the guy if that was his C5 and his reply was "It isn't a C5" and I looked again and it sure was a C5 so I asked well what is it then and his reply was "It's a Corvette" So I told his a C5 was the 5th gen of the car and he told me that he didn't care what is was other than a Corvette, He was very unsociable, After he left my detail guy told me that he don't know much about cars except how to start them...
True story...

Phanni 02-01-2013 06:49 PM

Yeah, there's a few of 'em out there.

CatCam 02-01-2013 06:50 PM

What a tool. Sad that they are out there and the 0.5% of these people give all Corvette owners a bad name. :crazy2:

Glock 23C 02-01-2013 06:53 PM

Oh boy, I would have had some fun with him.

TwoSmoke 02-01-2013 06:53 PM

I wish I had a video of your face and the following double take when he said it wasn't a C5. :lol:

I'll talk to anybody who walks up and wants to talk corvette....ummm..I mean C5. :lol:

Mr.Bill 02-01-2013 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by TorchRedDriver (Post 1583009295)
I wish I had a video of your face and the following double take when he said it wasn't a C5. :lol:

I'll talk to anybody who walks up and wants to talk corvette....ummm..I mean C5. :lol:

Ya, I was like WOW

Mickeyrx70 02-01-2013 07:15 PM

The sad thing is there are a scary number of people like that out & about these days.

VETJAZZ 02-01-2013 07:52 PM

Ignorance is bliss. To each his own. :willy:

jrose7004 02-01-2013 07:54 PM

Oh well, his loss.

DevilDog II 02-01-2013 08:08 PM

. . . . so that's why they call them a C5. ;)

damilleniumboy 02-01-2013 08:12 PM

:D:leaving:Are you quoting yourself lol?

sereneDelusions 02-01-2013 08:13 PM

That sounds like a weird conversation. I would think a person would be more inclined to learn something about the car they drive from someone else with the same car. Even if they were having a bad day....at least acknowledge the generation. Beyond value, there are some notable differences between years. I don't understand generalizing the car as being just a Corvette. Sounds like a laughable moment though!

fishbust 02-01-2013 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by Mr.Bill (Post 1583009171)
Really nice day today so I thought I would take the Vette and get it all cleaned up.
When I pull in there is another C5 there getting detailed and I asked the guy if that was his C5 and his reply was "It isn't a C5" and I looked again and it sure was a C5 so I asked well what is it then and his reply was "It's a Corvette" So I told his a C5 was the 5th gen of the car and he told me that he didn't care what is was other than a Corvette, He was very unsociable, After he left my detail guy told me that he don't know much about cars except how to start them...
True story...

He doesn't even know how to appreciate what he has.

A shame to buy and own one and not even be interested in the least. Clearly only a status symbol for him and likely no one is impressed.

Chilliwack vettes 02-01-2013 09:13 PM

Originally Posted by VETJAZZ (Post 1583009752)
Ignorance is bliss. To each his own. :willy:

True that!

routeman007 02-01-2013 09:17 PM

:thumbs:"They walk among us!"

:cool:

Vetteman Jack 02-01-2013 09:57 PM

You run across jerks every now and then in the Corvette hobby. Too bad that guy was just unsociable.

El original 02-01-2013 10:03 PM

Immediate thought...he is a car curber and probably just washing the Corvette to flip it! For him it is just another piece of metal to be sold at a profit. Very common in this town. Greetings, Rob

dannyman 02-01-2013 10:10 PM

WOW; is right!

So, maybe this wasn't his car and he was bringing the car in for detailing for a neighbour, friend, relative, etc...???

How old was this guy?

Truly bizarre: and now "we may never know the rest of the story".

You just have to laugh! :lol:

:cheers:

Dan

MSG C5 02-01-2013 10:11 PM

I might have met a relative of his back in 2005. I saw a guy pull into the parking lot of my son's baseball league in a (then) new C6 coupe. I said "Nice C6" and he lifted his nose as said, "this is a Corvette!" So much for making new friends...:toetap:

I remember thinking what a toolbag! :lol:

WetteVette 02-01-2013 10:12 PM

Knowledge is King

We, here, are the knowledgeable few. I mean, anything, EVERYTHING, you want to know about a C5 Corvette is here (and a little extra).

duckvett 02-01-2013 10:33 PM

It is really sad to run into one of these "it's just a Corvette" types selling cars at your local Chevrolet dealer. I recently went to our local dealer to drop off newsletters and I didn't see the `13 black ZO6 that had been parked in front. I asked one of the salesmen if they had sold the ZO6... blank stare... what's a ZO6? he asks... my turn to stare in amazement...the Corvette that was parked right here, I said...oh you mean the black one? We moved it out on the lot so we could showcase this Cruze. I had to just walk away shaking my head. :toetap:

WetteVette 02-01-2013 11:08 PM

Originally Posted by duckvett (Post 1583011084)
It is really sad to run into one of these "it's just a Corvette" types selling cars at your local Chevrolet dealer. I recently went to our local dealer to drop off newsletters and I didn't see the `13 black ZO6 that had been parked in front. I asked one of the salesmen if they had sold the ZO6... blank stare... what's a ZO6? he asks... my turn to stare in amazement...the Corvette that was parked right here, I said...oh you mean the black one? We moved it out on the lot so we could showcase this Cruze. I had to just walk away shaking my head. :toetap:

That is totally pathetic! And not just a normal used car salesman. A Chevy dealer salesman!

Satisfactory goods and services are becoming harder and harder to find.

Aerovette 02-01-2013 11:57 PM

Did you explain to him that it's not a "bird"...it's your middle finger?

96mogt 02-02-2013 12:11 AM

There are some A holes that drive our amazing cars. He must think he's in a league of his own. Jay

WetteVette 02-02-2013 12:42 AM

Originally Posted by 96mogt (Post 1583011604)
There are some A holes that drive our amazing cars.

Just the other day I'm driving down the freeway in the slow lane, when a C5 comes hauling ass up behind a slow car in the left lane. I keep glancing over at the dude, but not once did he ever look my way. He just kept tailgating the car in front all the while just staying beside me and getting nowhere!

olbear1962 02-02-2013 12:52 AM

Originally Posted by jrose7004 (Post 1583009764)
Oh well, his loss.

:iagree:

FrankLP 02-02-2013 12:52 AM

True story...

Guys like that give the rest of us "Corvette Owners" a bad image.

I'm glad that you were the last impression that your detail guy got of a "Corvette Owner"! :thumbs: :D

91LSMAN 02-02-2013 01:16 AM

I guess my license plate would throw him for a loop. LOL

Carcass 02-02-2013 01:45 AM

Originally Posted by Vetteman Jack (Post 1583010787)
You run across jerks every now and then in the Corvette hobby. Too bad that guy was just unsociable.

"Unsociable" is giving the guy way too much credit.
He was an a$$hole.
Definitely an unsociable one,but an a$$hole none the less.

ErMaK 02-02-2013 05:03 AM

What a d*ck. Coming from the "Import Scene" I am all to familiar with jerks in the car world. Upgrading to the Corvette family I can say hands down that the Corvette community, and just fellow Corvette owners in general no matter what generation they drive all are very friendly and I find myself always exchanging waves when passing other Vettes. However, with that being said I'm sure that there are a "few" out there, but I refuse to let a few bad apples ruin the bunch. Screw 'em if they don't want to be friendly.

Cubman 02-02-2013 09:55 AM

Too Funny !

bluemuskets 02-02-2013 10:55 AM

A week ago I was at walmart on a Sunday evening. Parked off by myself in an empty row, turned off my lights, and the left one came halfway back up. I pop my hood to wind the light down and silently curse that I have to get back in that assembly after putting in brass gears, and then what do ya know a white C5 rolls up and an older guy stepped out and walked over to me (I'm 23, he turned out to be 66). We talked for 30 solid minutes about our cars--the good, the bad, and the awesome. Told me how he had a '64 back in the day and how now he has models of every year all over his house. So while there are snobs out there, there are always other guys who love these cars and can't get enough of them. I was pretty excited that a guy 3 times my age saw my car and wanted to talk Corvettes with me.

flags97 02-02-2013 02:53 PM

Prior to my C5 I had a C4 and once I owned a vette I would and still do read everything about them. This may sound stupid but are there any other cars described by generations like the C1,C2 C3 etc?

Oh 2 Fun 02-02-2013 03:03 PM

Good one Mr. Bill...amazing.

Reminds me of the guy and his girlfriend that drove up to a local bar while I was outside. It was an '03 black vert.

I complimented his car (being polite, wasn't anything special) and he got kind of snotty and said, "Yeah it's a 50 Anniversary Edition, it says so on the hood". Well yes, it has the anniversary emblem and I explained the connection being the 50th anniversary but then tried to describe the "Edition" with the Anniversary Red and Shale interior/top etc.

Then he thought I was being rude and uninformed.....they just put up their noses and walked in. Oh well....

He probably paid more for it being an "Edition"....let it be. :D

John1990 02-02-2013 03:22 PM

Way too funny, bro. LOL

What a moron that guy is.

John1990 02-02-2013 03:35 PM

Not to steal your thunder, bro; but that reminds me of the time I was at a GM car show at a dealership when, while standing around talking Corvettes with a few guys, one of them said: "Hey did you see the Grand Sport in the showroom?"

When we were in the showroom taking a look, the guy drew our attention to some of the features of the Grand Sport model; so he obviously knew something.

At one point, I said: "Didn't they make a Grand Sport in '96?". The guy said: "I wouldn't know."

Huh?

Choreo 02-02-2013 03:47 PM

I meet Corvette snobs all the time.

If you want to have some real fun with the Corvette Clueless crowd talk to most Corvette Salesmen at a Chevy Dealership!:smash:

At least your guy could "start" a Corvette - that is better than some recent thieves can do apparently!:willy:

ensteele 02-02-2013 04:03 PM

That is one of my biggest problems - I will talk cars for hours even if I need to be somewhere else. :D :yesnod: :lol:

C5Wolfe 02-02-2013 04:10 PM

I had our "55" Chevy out the other day at the local diner for breakfast last weekend and a guy informed me that he had 64 Impala just like it in high school!:willy:

duramaxsky 02-02-2013 04:26 PM

Are you sure it was not a C4 with a C5 body kit? That would explain it. Too embarrassedn to admit it was really a C4!:rofl:

knewblewkorvette 02-02-2013 04:38 PM

I ran across two people recently that made me do a double take.
The first was a woman in the Walmart parking lot (yes, Walmart). As she walked by she asks if my car was a GS model. "Um no", I replied. Then she says "well even though it's no a GS model, it still looks good".
The second one was last week at a hockey game. The guy two seats from me had a Corvette coat on, the one that says "Corvette" in the front and has a big "C5 logo" on the back. While we were waiting for the game to start, I lean over and said "I have two C5's" and his response was "What's a C5?" I replied "a Corvette made between 1997 and 2004". That was the end of our conversation.

Save the wave. :cheers:

WKMCD 02-02-2013 05:30 PM

There are Corvette "owners" and Corvette "enthusiasts".

Most of us here are of the enthusiast variety. :thumbs:

DARRYLZO6 02-02-2013 06:00 PM

True story...

Doesnt surprise me. you should also have asked him if he's ever been to Bowling Green, or if he's ever been to Carlisle, or ask him if his engine was an LS1,LS6,or if if was a 5.7 liter. Well, maybe its best you didnt. you probably would have needed bail money. Theres a lot of these so called vette owners who couldnt care less about the history of these cars. :iagree:

andrec10 02-02-2013 06:15 PM

YOU CAN'T FIX STUPID!!!:willy:

MotoJB 02-02-2013 06:17 PM

LOL...he probably thinks his base C5 is a Z06 too.

C5Wolfe 02-03-2013 08:59 AM

Did any of you guys see "Passtime" Friday night? A guy said his c-5 Roadster was a "Z06" and had around 450 H.P. at the rear wheels.
He then proceded to put down a blistrering 13.30 E.T.!:eek:

3318C5 02-03-2013 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by CatCam (Post 1583009270)
What a tool. Sad that they are out there and the 0.5% of these people give all Corvette owners a bad name. :crazy2:

:iagree: :crazy:

gknight99 02-03-2013 10:02 AM

At least they were getting the C5 cleaned and not having mudflaps installed.

Zr-1Mike00 02-03-2013 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by WKMCD (Post 1583016694)
There are Corvette "owners" and Corvette "enthusiasts".

Most of us here are of the enthusiast variety. :thumbs:

:iagree: That's for sure!

I would have had a field day, then again.... he can't saved/not worth saving :lol:

hdkeno 02-03-2013 03:59 PM

Its people like him that give corvette owners a bad name....:crazy2:

DevilDog II 02-03-2013 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by gknight99 (Post 1583021418)
At least they were getting the C5 cleaned and not having mudflaps installed.

I suppose you don't like these? :D
http://i690.photobucket.com/albums/v...ps73eed04b.jpg

JaxEagle 02-03-2013 04:48 PM

True story...

It wouldn't bother me as much that he didn't know what a C5 was as the fact that he was a rude ogre to another vette guy... oh well.... they're everywhere...

MSG C5 02-03-2013 04:53 PM

News alert...Even a$$holes buy Corvettes! :yesnod:

:lol:

:cheers: