CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C7 General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion-142/)
-   -   From 436HP to 450HP...is it worth it? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion/3210369-from-436hp-to-450hp-is-it-worth-it.html)

AFVETTE 01-31-2013 12:29 PM

Guess you weren't around back in late 2001 when the LS6 went from 385HP to 405HP. That was a big deal, guys were pissed and traded in their 2001 Z06's just to get that 405HP badge.

arkus 01-31-2013 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by 1320vetteran (Post 1582996597)
My personal opinion is that they do and wantshow everything until it's time for them to hit the showroom floor. But that is just my opinion. I could be wrong though, it won't be the first time.:thumbs:

Thats possible but unlikely . I think they would want to get the highest numbers out there first because thats what a lot of people will remember .

Matt26 01-31-2013 12:29 PM

My personal opinion is that they do and wantshow everything until it's time for them to hit the showroom floor. But that is just my opinion. I could be wrong though, it won't be the first time.:thumbs:

This.

It is all about managing expectations!

FrankTank 01-31-2013 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by Matt26 (Post 1582996585)
Couple of things to consider at this point.

450 HP was stated as the "at least" figure meaning this is not the real number. There have been multiple instances where they have hinted that it will be higher than this number. They are holding their cards to their chest for a little longer.

Don't just look at peak HP, if you take a look at the torque curve from the LT1 reveal you will see that the torque is on par with the LS7 up to 4k RPM.

My advice is wait until you see finalized official numbers before making your mind up about it being worth the upgrade or not.

My personal opinion is that they do and want to over deliver once it's time for them to hit the showroom floor. But that is just my opinion. I could be wrong though, it won't be the first time.:thumbs:

:iagree: :iagree: 100% :smash: it's almost like if you think of a negotiation... you don't show all your cards, or make your best offer right out of the gate :lol: You hint at information or other facts and go from there.

The numbers will be higher, Torque, HP and track results... it will create another stir and even more hype for the release of the car..

Mark my words :D

Ed32 01-31-2013 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by jimmyb (Post 1582996558)
So, you are using Car and Driver's weight estimate????

The same Car and Driver that said the ENTIRE body would be Carbon Fiber? The same Car and Driver that said the automatic offered would be an Aisin 8 speed?

That Car and Driver? Sorry, what I KNOW is that we will get HP/Torque/Curb weight when GM announces it.

Jimmy

I agree, nothing is final yet, but those are the est. numbers not only from car and driver. Also, if you had watched the video you would know that GM engineers are the ones talking about the car so I guess they told the dude from car and driver to use those numbers :D

HollywoodC7 01-31-2013 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by Ed32 (Post 1582996360)
I have watched several videos and read different articles about the C7. I like the car a lot, but my LS3 with the NPP has 436HP and 428TQ.
I understand GM has put a lot of effort refining the car; I am not even going to mention the MPG because most of us do not care about that :ack: The argument about the breakthrough technology used in the narrower tires is dumb :lol: since I could put those tires/wheels in my C6 if they are so great :D. IMO the rev-match feature is unnecessary, since most of us know how to rev-match, and kind of a gimmick of a dual clutch.

So, the C7 has an electronic differential which is nice for traction, stiffer chassis... :rofl:okay, 450HP and 450TQ and a bunch of driving modes and electric steering (which BTW may make it less exciting to drive). However it seems like with all the gadgetry in this car now is going to weigh more that the C6; they keep talking about CF and hallow aluminum etc, but the truth of the matter is the C7 is still heavier (as far as we know).

Don't you guys think GM is being a little stingy with the ponies? I mean, they are just giving us 14 extra ponies? And some torque with more weight, what do you guys think?

Intake.....Headers.......Chip the ECU.....away ya go...:rock:

BlueOx 01-31-2013 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by Matt26 (Post 1582996618)
This.

It is all about managing expectations!

Absolutely...and the competition is out there wanting to know this stuff asap also. That way they could try to one-up the C7 when it finally ships.

jimmyb 01-31-2013 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by Ed32 (Post 1582996635)
I agree, nothing is final yet, but those are the est. numbers not only from car and driver. Also, if you had watched the video you would know that GM engineers are the ones talking about the car so I guess they told the dude from car and driver to use those numbers :D

I watched the video when it came out weeks ago, please give me the time stamp where a GM ENGINEER states the weight of the car. Csaba stating the weight is just guessing.

Jimmy

-CM- 01-31-2013 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by 1320vetteran (Post 1582996520)
I have an honest question for anyone to answer. If your engine was not SAE certified yet how would you market to the public?
a) Keep mum about power
b) Give an estimate
c) shoot for the moon and hope it certifies at that #

Good point. In some parallel universe, GM chose option c, and in that parallel universe's Corvette Forum, the members are twiddling endlessly about how bogus it is for GM to release estimated numbers before the engine has been certified. In another parallel universe, where GM chose option a, the prevailing rumor on that CF is that the C7 will have 525HP, because GM wants to best the current Z06.

As to whether it matters to me if the C7 has "only" 450HP, I care not; I'm going to get one.

BeaZt 01-31-2013 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by FrankTank (Post 1582996633)
:iagree: :iagree: 100% :smash: it's almost like if you think of a negotiation... you don't show all your cards, or make your best offer right out of the gate :lol: You hint at information or other facts and go from there.

The numbers will be higher, Torque, HP and track results... it will create another stir and even more hype for the release of the car..

Mark my words :D

Originally Posted by BlueOx (Post 1582996646)
Absolutely...and the competition is out there wanting to know this stuff asap also. That way they could try to one-up the C7 when it finally ships.

:iagree: Both Tadge and Ed have both said they are not letting everything be known quite yet. Read the interviews they gave. Heck look what happened with the ZL1(kinda sorta) They touted that 500+ number and Ford used it as a target and unlease their 600+ number.

OBSSSD 01-31-2013 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by Ed32 (Post 1582996360)
I have watched several videos and read different articles about the C7. I like the car a lot, but my LS3 with the NPP has 436HP and 428TQ.
I understand GM has put a lot of effort refining the car; I am not even going to mention the MPG because most of us do not care about that :ack: The argument about the breakthrough technology used in the narrower tires is dumb :lol: since I could put those tires/wheels in my C6 if they are so great :D. IMO the rev-match feature is unnecessary, since most of us know how to rev-match, and kind of a gimmick of a dual clutch.

So, the C7 has an electronic differential which is nice for traction, stiffer chassis... :rofl:okay, 450HP and 450TQ and a bunch of driving modes and electric steering (which BTW may make it less exciting to drive). However it seems like with all the gadgetry in this car now is going to weigh more that the C6; they keep talking about CF and hallow aluminum etc, but the truth of the matter is the C7 is still heavier (as far as we know).

Don't you guys think GM is being a little stingy with the ponies? I mean, they are just giving us 14 extra ponies? And some torque with more weight, what do you guys think?

No it isn't worth it and furthermore the base car has been a real letdown versus the LS3 C6. Unless they offer something above 500hp I have no reason to upgrade, and even then I have to think about it because the C7 will be much harder to upgrade performance-wise in the aftermarket.

Really disappointed...

BeaZt 01-31-2013 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by -CM- (Post 1582996675)
Good point. In some parallel universe, GM chose option c, and in that parallel universe's Corvette Forum, the members are twiddling endlessly about how bogus it is for GM to release estimated numbers before the engine has been certified. In another parallel universe, where GM chose option a, the prevailing rumor on that CF is that the C7 will have 525HP, because GM wants to best the current Z06.

As to whether it matters to me if the C7 has "only" 450HP, I care not; I'm going to get one.

Yep and if it comes with "just" 450 and you know how to drive you can whip up on quite a few who "just" have 505 and don't know how to use it..lol

FrankTank 01-31-2013 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by OBSSSD (Post 1582996724)
No it isn't worth it and furthermore the base car has been a real letdown versus the LS3 C6. Unless they offer something above 500hp I have no reason to upgrade, and even then I have to think about it because the C7 will be much harder to upgrade performance-wise in the aftermarket.

Really disappointed...

Like a few of us have said...I'd hold off yet before you throw in the towel. Final numbers are not out.

I would agree with you, if the tuning is locked down etc..as has been the rumor that will in fact suck, and really hurt the aftermarket modding parts. My guess is that the C7 will be just a tad under the C6Z in terms of performance.

If I am wrong, I will be the first to admit it :thumbs:

Jinx 01-31-2013 12:43 PM

Ed32, your original post lays out a pretty compelling case for keeping/buying a C6 and giving it a set of C7 Michelins.

It won't be quite as powerful, quick, refined, or new, but it'll still be a great sports car.

What a bargain!

.Jinx
Thanks for helping my trade-in value

Ed32 01-31-2013 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by jimmyb (Post 1582996665)
I watched the video when it came out weeks ago, please give me the time stamp where a GM ENGINEER states the weight of the car. Csaba stating the weight is just guessing.

Jimmy

That is a possibility. But also Feb/March Road and Track mentions the same about the weight. I am not wasting my time quoting the whole thing but it's on page 47 if you want to read it. They basically say that GM "wishful thinking" was 3000 pounds but now they just want to match the Grand Sport weight (3311 pounds).

There is so much they can do at this point to make it lose more weight. I still like the car, I still think is going to be a hit. I am not too sure if it is an upgrade in terms of pure perfomance.

arkus 01-31-2013 12:51 PM

Lets say the C7 has 460 hp . If you don't like the body , you won't buy the car.

I'm wondering why they made the car longer and wider than the C6 when weight is so important ?

Dif 01-31-2013 12:52 PM

IMO when looking at the numbers in black and white on paper, sure, it may not "seem" like much.
But, anyone simply looking at the "numbers" is missing what the complete C7 package is going to deliver ;)
The C7 is a Totally redesigned platform with Completely different weight distribution throughout the whole car with a lower and wider stance.
Also with the So Called Base Skinny tires ;) and rims there is Less unsprung Weight compared to bigger tires and rims, which IMO is a big Plus.
Reading up on the components like the frame, the wish bones, cross members and other suspension parts ( unsprung weight parts ) they are lighter and stronger.
And if I'm not mistaken the redesigned C7 is now 50/50 weight distribution front/ rear, another big Plus.
Maybe the C7 is heavier than the C6, but again, it all depends on where that weight is on the car and heavier may not necessarily be a bad thing.

Personally I think there is going to be a HUGE difference for the better with the C7 :thumbs: :auto:

Curtis A. Franz 01-31-2013 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by Big Dan 427 (Post 1582996489)
Nice write up Ed32! I agree with everything you say especially the narrow tire part, it looks very meek. Also (and I do not claim to be an expert) it should be quite easy to make more power with DI, to increase only 14 hp also seems minimal. I don't know that this is a correct comparison but Acura just introduced the new RLX with DI and using the same 3.5l motor of the RDX increased the hp by 37. Again I don't know the inner workings of it all but numbers don't lie.

Too much fixation on HP. In regular driving (versus track) it is torque that counts.
:blueangel:

Ed32 01-31-2013 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by Dif (Post 1582996833)
IMO when looking at the numbers in black and white on paper, sure, it may not "seem" like much.
But, anyone simply looking at the "numbers" is missing what the complete C7 package is going to deliver ;)
The C7 is a Totally redesigned platform with Completely different weight distribution throughout the whole car with a lower and wider stance.
Also with the So Called Base Skinny tires ;) and rims there is Less unsprung Weight compared to bigger tires and rims, which IMO is a big Plus.
Reading up on the components like the frame, the wish bones, cross members and other suspension parts ( unsprung weight parts ) they are lighter and stronger.
And if I'm not mistaken the redesigned C7 is now 50/50 weight distribution front/ rear, another big Plus.
Maybe the C7 is heavier than the C6, but again, it all depends on where that weight is on the car and heavier may not necessarily be a bad thing.

Personally I think there is going to be a HUGE difference for the better with the C7 :thumbs: :auto:

I agree with you but I think the C6 is also 50/50 I am pretty sure. Even the C5 may be 50/50, the 50/50 it's been around in the Corvette DNA for some time already.

Big Dan 427 01-31-2013 01:03 PM

Good point Curtis! I think it's more comparison than it is importance, maybe expectation also!