CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C7 General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion-142/)
-   -   C7 video On Jay Lenos Garage (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion/3205734-c7-video-on-jay-lenos-garage.html)

themonk 01-24-2013 08:57 PM

Didn't Matt Lauer (sp?) drive it before Jay?

Breze84 01-24-2013 09:17 PM

Im sorry everyone but I think it is hideous... The car looks great from head on and the interior is pretty damn cool minus the steering wheel and the Racing Flag Emblems that look like Firebird wings. I dont like the side profile, The rearend, And most of all I hate all the Star Wars Plastic under the hood... The car does seem to have a nice stock exhaust note but it just does nothing for me... Maybe one day it will grow on me but until then blah... I laugh how GM says it wants the C7 to appeal more to the younger crowd, But how is that going to happen with what I would assume is going to bring a 60K premium lol... I dont think Jay Leno liked it that much imo thus the VERY EUROPEAN LOOK. Too much going on to get that wow factor "It Has WHUUHH" and it has lost the whole drivers car appeal to me with all the electronics going on. Not to mention it now looks like a European sports car lol..

lt1george 01-24-2013 09:17 PM

Did you see that ???????? What a car ! I can't wait to see one for real. Stunning ! Thanks.

DREAMERAK 01-24-2013 09:31 PM

After watching this video for the third time I went from about 75% sure i wanted a C7 to about 98%.

User24 01-24-2013 09:31 PM

Jay Leno is the rare guy who can see the beauty in all cars. That is why he has so many cars that are not very attractive on the surface. Look at his outfit and tell me if you want his aesthetic opinion on anything.

Racer 01-24-2013 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by Breze84 (Post 1582936720)
Im sorry everyone but I think it is hideous... The car looks great from head on and the interior is pretty damn cool minus the steering wheel and the Racing Flag Emblems that look like Firebird wings. I dont like the side profile, The rearend, And most of all I hate all the Star Wars Plastic under the hood... The car does seem to have a nice stock exhaust note but it just does nothing for me... Maybe one day it will grow on me but until then blah... I laugh how GM says it wants the C7 to appeal more to the younger crowd, But how is that going to happen with what I would assume is going to bring a 60K premium lol... I dont think Jay Leno liked it that much imo thus the VERY EUROPEAN LOOK. Too much going on to get that wow factor "It Has WHUUHH" and it has lost the whole drivers car appeal to me with all the electronics going on. Not to mention it now looks like a European sports car lol..

You clearly are biased, Jay loved the car it is OBVIOUS to almost EVERYBODY.

Breze84 01-24-2013 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by Racer (Post 1582936916)
You clearly are biased, Jay loved the car it is OBVIOUS to almost EVERYBODY.

I disagree..... Look at when he talked about the Z06 and ZR1, He was genuinely exited. Didn't seem so much here. Good way try and wash away all the criticism about the rear by getting Jay to talk up the car and get good PR for GM.

Racer 01-24-2013 10:45 PM

Originally Posted by Breze84 (Post 1582937046)
I disagree..... Look at when he talked about the Z06 and ZR1, He was genuinely exited. Didn't seem so much here. Good way try and wash away all the criticism about the rear by getting Jay to talk up the car and get good PR for GM.

Sorry, he loved it. Did you see his interview on Barret Jackson? He is a fan. Sorry that your wrong.

arkus 01-24-2013 10:50 PM

Why do you c7 fanatics feel like you HAVE to defend this thing ?

Racer 01-24-2013 10:51 PM

Originally Posted by arkus (Post 1582937622)

Because of the ****ing haters. :cheers:

arkus 01-24-2013 10:54 PM

Let them hate . what do you care .
why so personal about the car ?

rcallen484 01-24-2013 10:55 PM

Originally Posted by arkus (Post 1582937622)

Possibly because those of you who do not like the C7 call those who like it fanatics? And then proceed to vilify it instead of simply saying they don't like it. Ya think? DUH!

Racer 01-24-2013 10:56 PM

Originally Posted by arkus (Post 1582937655)

Well, hater. Maybe because I am a Corvette fan, on this, the CORVETTEFORUM. Get lost.

Hemi Dave 01-24-2013 11:02 PM

Originally Posted by arkus (Post 1582937655)

Let them defend, what do you care.........The C7 rocks!!!

BlueOx 01-24-2013 11:07 PM

Originally Posted by Breze84 (Post 1582936720)
Im sorry everyone but I think it is hideous...

That's ok, a lot of folks think the C5 is fugly...and about as exciting as a bar of soap. Sorry.

BMadden 01-24-2013 11:14 PM

Originally Posted by BlueOx (Post 1582937767)
That's ok, a lot of folks think the C5 is fugly...and about as exciting as a bar of soap. Sorry.

Yeah, and I'm sure you can find people who don't think Aston Martins are good looking either so just because someone has bad taste doesn't mean they're right.

BlueOx 01-24-2013 11:24 PM

Originally Posted by BMadden (Post 1582937818)
Yeah, and I'm sure you can find people who don't think Aston Martins are good looking either so just because someone has bad taste doesn't mean they're right.

Admit it...very generation of Corvettes has it's detractors.

The C7 will do just fine and the only difference will be that if a given generation of Corvette owners continues their useless berating of the C7, those C7 lovers will come over to the C5 Forum and bitch and moan in much the same way. It'll happen.:rock:

WHT 01-24-2013 11:38 PM

I enjoyed the video very much and thanks for posting. But, shouldn't these two guys (especially Ed) know something about the new car?

Same HP as Z06
Same wheelbase as C6
About the same length
More compact
lighter

Really?

rbartick 01-24-2013 11:56 PM

Originally Posted by rcallen484 (Post 1582937664)
Possibly because those of you who cannot afford the C7 call those who like it fanatics? And then proceed to vilify it instead of simply saying they don't like it. Ya think? DUH!

Fixt

vetteship 01-24-2013 11:59 PM

Does anyone know what are the front hood vent made from ? (plastic- Carbon fiber, etc...)

BlueOx 01-25-2013 12:06 AM

Originally Posted by vetteship (Post 1582938079)
Does anyone know what are the front hood vent made from ? (plastic- Carbon fiber, etc...)

I think it is painted CF.

GK 01-25-2013 12:22 AM

Did anyone else notice when Jay started the car, the center LCD displayed a "Service Rear Axle" message? :lol:

Wynsnob 01-25-2013 12:28 AM

Originally Posted by burtonbl103 (Post 1582925913)

Love the video. Wanted so much to be in the driver seat. I can't wait to take one for a spin. Only thing I would love is if it came in Victory Red. LOL. That's my color.
:flag:

SolidlyStated 01-25-2013 12:34 AM

Jay I am so glad you didn't say "and its a Chevy- you can fix it with a hammer" for the 10th time :)

masksqueeze 01-25-2013 03:58 AM

FOR THE RECORD:

Jay showed no sign of disgust with the absence of round tail lights.

Properly honest, genuine car enthusiast. Love it!

Paulchristian 01-25-2013 04:44 AM

Originally Posted by Breze84 (Post 1582937046)

:iagree: If I had to bet, I would say, without hesitation, that he prefers the exterior design of his C6 Z's.

He was definetly not as excited as usual when talking about vettes. Given Mr. Welburn was right there next to him, he was obviously going to remain positive and respectful.

termigni 01-25-2013 08:30 AM

Originally Posted by BlueOx (Post 1582938133)
I think it is painted CF.

if i remember correctly from one of the video interview with the engineers, everything is real on this car. if it looks like CF, it is real CF. if it looks like aluminum, it is aluminum, and if it looks like plastic, it is plastic.

Big Dan 427 01-25-2013 08:34 AM

Jay would never bash a product on video, especially an American iconic automobile! I did not get the sense he was genuinely excited with the car, remember he's an actor and he seemed to be lauding the car but not with complete sincerity!

Bill17601 01-25-2013 08:47 AM

Jay liking a C6 over a C7 really? His garage is like a harem of beautiful woman. How you going to pick when they are all unique. I think he loves all his cars unconditionally.

99HRDTP 01-25-2013 09:10 AM

Again, it's truly amazing how polarizing this car is. Those who like the car think Jay liked it and those who don't, think he doesn't. Changing minds on this is as hard as trying to get a liberal to vote Republican.:D

That said, I want my gas guzzler tax that I paid back, since Leno didn't have to pay one. I also want mid 20 MPG on the highway. Guess I got a "bum" LS9.;)

Hemi Dave 01-25-2013 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by Big Dan 427 (Post 1582939314)
Jay would never bash a product on video, especially an American iconic automobile! I did not get the sense he was genuinely excited with the car, remember he's an actor and he seemed to be lauding the car but not with complete sincerity!

Maybe he was "acting" when he seemed excited about the C6Z?

You guys are really reaching :D

Joe B. 01-25-2013 09:23 AM

"World class"

Hemi Dave 01-25-2013 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by 99HRDTP (Post 1582939574)
Again, it's truly amazing how polarizing this car is. Those who like the car think Jay liked it and those who don't, think he doesn't.

....but Jay actually said he liked it......

The ones who say he didnt like it say he was "acting"......Thats the funny part thats based in fantasy....they can read Jays mind :D

Big Dan 427 01-25-2013 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by Hemi Dave (Post 1582939649)

Not reaching for anything Dave, to me he just did not seem totally enamored with the car!

lt4obsesses 01-25-2013 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by Hemi Dave (Post 1582939649)

Honestly, I wouldn't read so much into it. It was a video made for "Jay Leno's Garage"...a show. One of hundreds of publicity spots that Ed Welburn has done this week, and of course Jay Leno has to do this because, well, it's the biggest story in automotive news this month.

Jay Leno obviously didn't know about the car, so he kept his comments to general Corvette. Welburn was just along for the ride, so to speak. I am looking forward to when Jay can wring the car out a little bit, then see what he says.

Hemi Dave 01-25-2013 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by Big Dan 427 (Post 1582939704)
Not reaching for anything Dave, to me he just did not seem totally enamored with the car!

Even if Jay said he hated it's guts .......I still love it. :thumbs:

I love the rear end too........Looks like JLO in a thong to me :)

Big Dan 427 01-25-2013 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by Hemi Dave (Post 1582939800)
Even if Jay said he hated it's guts .......I still love it. :thumbs:

I love the rear end too........Looks like JLO in a thong to me :)

That is the perfect stand to take Dave! The only opinion that matters is our own and I'm glad to hear your comment stating so!

Now the butt being compared to JLO in a thong may be a stretch (no pun intended):lol: but I hear ya!! :thumbs:

I have to admit that is one part of the car that is growing on me, still looking forward to seeing it in person!

LS WON 01-25-2013 10:10 AM

Jay Leno mentioned that the clearance on the C-7 Corvette is a positive thing as far as driveways and height. Does the C-7 have better ground clearance than the C-6?

speedfreak27 01-25-2013 10:11 AM

First off, I love the C7. The Corvette needed a change and it was about damn time they got rid of the round taillights.

In the case of the video, however, I have to agree with the haters. Jay was just being polite. If you watch his other videos, especially his first McLaren MP4-12C video in which he went to the McLaren factory to get a preview of the car, Jay tells Anthony Sheriff that he prefers smooth, flowing lines and curves and that he hates sharp, angular lines. Sharp, angular lines like the ones on the C7 Corvette.

Doesn't matter how much most of us like the car, Jay was just being polite. He says in most of his videos that he's "old school". He'd rather have a ball on the end of his manual shifter and a wood steering wheel.

dmporter31 01-25-2013 10:35 AM

Ed Welburn seemed like a nervous schill and spewed the usual designer BS. I see nothing "european" in the design at all other than the obvious Ferrari cues. Love the overall look, can't wait to drive it. The storage compartment access is much cooler than the XLS CUE setup - hopefully it's faster responding too (thought the Caddy system was laggy and unresponsive when I tried it in real life) The start up sounded good to me, it's going to be a very long wait until I can go test drive/plop down money to buy. :D

capevettes 01-25-2013 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by burtonbl103 (Post 1582925913)

Nice video Bill. Thanks for the link. Jay is a real car guy and grew up right here in Mass :thumbs:

Big Dan 427 01-25-2013 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by speedfreak27 (Post 1582940175)
First off, I love the C7. The Corvette needed a change and it was about damn time they got rid of the round taillights.

In the case of the video, however, I have to agree with the haters. Jay was just being polite. If you watch his other videos, especially his first McLaren MP4-12C video in which he went to the McLaren factory to get a preview of the car, Jay tells Anthony Sheriff that he prefers smooth, flowing lines and curves and that he hates sharp, angular lines. Sharp, angular lines like the ones on the C7 Corvette.

Doesn't matter how much most of us like the car, Jay was just being polite. He says in most of his videos that he's "old school". He'd rather have a ball on the end of his manual shifter and a wood steering wheel.

My buddy just picked up a MP4 yestersay in what they call Volcano Orange, car had a sticker of 289k and he got it for 229k. It is a 2012 brand new and freakin' gorgeous! You want to talk about carbon fiber, it is everywhere on this car!:thumbs:

speedfreak27 01-25-2013 11:36 AM

VO is an awesome color. A new one they've come out with is Volcano Yellow. It's a yellow base with green flake in it. Looks great on the 12C Spyder. Sucks for McLaren that their cars aren't selling. The problems with the car during it's launch have turned a lot of people off despite the fact that those problems have all been corrected. Doesn't help that the 5th Gear guys said it sucked. They didn't know how to properly drive the car, so therefore it was a bad car.

But back on topic, I still love the C7. Everyone's entitled to their opinions on the car. People were saying some of the same things in C6 Gen when that car was first introduced. What some people on both sides of the argument need to understand is that it's your opinion, not a fact, and being an internet tough guy isn't going to get the other person to change their position.

DREAMERAK 01-25-2013 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by speedfreak27 (Post 1582940175)

Jay was just being polite to Anthony Sheriff too, and if jay is old school and likes manuals with a ball on the end and wood steering wheels, why would he buy a Mclaren MP4-12C? one of the most automated and modern supercars in the world.

2VettesMike 01-25-2013 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by FrankLP (Post 1582927284)
Yeah...kinda sounds like it bottoms out when Jay pulls it off the platform...listen at 11:19. Or maybe it was just loose flooring/ramping on the platform itself.

Second time watching you can see/hear the ramps off the turntable clacking...

Mike

speedfreak27 01-25-2013 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by DREAMERAK (Post 1582941421)
Jay was just being polite to Anthony Sheriff too, and if jay is old school and likes manuals with a ball on the end and wood steering wheels, why would he buy a Mclaren MP4-12C? one of the most automated and modern supercars in the world.

Preferring old technology doesn't negate appreciating modern technology (It also helps that his wife prefers the 12C to just about any other car in his collection because it has a softer ride). Nor does it negate the fact that, as far as design goes, he has stated on multiple occasions, not only to Anthony but in his own garage as well, that he prefers flowing lines and curves to sharp angular lines. People aren't black and white. People are complex beings with complex opinions. From what I've seen, for Jay, the 12C is the perfect melding of older style with newer technology.

When I come to this forum I'm reminded every time of the saying "people hear only what they want to hear".

DREAMERAK 01-25-2013 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by speedfreak27 (Post 1582941668)
Preferring old technology doesn't negate appreciating modern technology (It also helps that his wife prefers the 12C to just about any other car in his collection because it has a softer ride). Nor does it negate the fact that, as far as design goes, he has stated on multiple occasions, not only to Anthony but in his own garage as well, that he prefers flowing lines and curves to sharp angular lines. People aren't black and white. People are complex beings with complex opinions. From what I've seen, for Jay, the 12C is the perfect melding of older style with newer technology.

When I come to this forum I'm reminded every time of the saying "people hear only what they want to hear".

Thanks for making my point, Jay calls the C7 beautiful in the video. As you say people are complex, and sometimes they change their mind on what beauty is, even when it doesn't fit with what they said earlier.

rad928music 01-25-2013 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by Racer (Post 1582933293)
Ya, not sure you watched the same video as I did.
Jay loved the car, how could you ever think otherwards, unless.........

I think he liked it but he thought that his C6 ZR1 Would be the last great vette Judging by the comments on the C6 ZR1 he helped sale on Berret Jackon in 2009.
Mybe he saying to himself ( Crap they came out with a New Vette thats better than my ZR1) now I got to get a C7.

On a side Note we have a new Avart Winner .....Racer

Redmenace 01-25-2013 09:05 PM

OK, I read this entire thread before I watched the video and now I'm wondering what some people who posted here were thinking.:crazy2: I'll just give them the benefit of the doubt and assume they aren't regular visitors to Jay's website and haven't seen many of his videos (especially those with Ed Welburn). If you have seen Jay's other vids you would realize that Ed is as perfectly at ease as he has been before with Jay at the garage or Pebble Beach, and that Jay absolutely loved the car (with lots of his Corvette bias shining through).:thumbs:

BlueOx 01-25-2013 09:41 PM

Originally Posted by Redmenace (Post 1582946380)
OK, I read this entire thread before I watched the video and now I'm wondering what some people who posted here were thinking.:crazy2: I'll just give them the benefit of the doubt and assume they aren't regular visitors to Jay's website and haven't seen many of his videos (especially those with Ed Welburn). If you have seen Jay's other vids you would realize that Ed is as perfectly at ease as he has been before with Jay at the garage or Pebble Beach, and that Jay absolutely loved the car (with lots of his Corvette bias shining through).:thumbs:

:iagree:Totally...Ed wouldn't be giving Jay crap about the "dashboard" statement if he wasn't comfortable with him. I do think they shot it quickly and that they would have been better to reshoot a scene or two. Ed isn't the greatest on-air talent.:D
No biggie...:thumbs:

speedfreak27 01-25-2013 11:02 PM

Originally Posted by DREAMERAK (Post 1582941909)
Thanks for making my point, Jay calls the C7 beautiful in the video. As you say people are complex, and sometimes they change their mind on what beauty is, even when it doesn't fit with what they said earlier.

In reality, it's the other way around. You made mine. Just because he says it's beautiful doesn't mean he has to like it. How many times have you said something you didn't really mean to not insult the person standing next to you? In Jay's case, not only was he next to a GM executive, but he was on camera next to this person as well. He's said the same thing about the Lamborghini Aventador in one video, but in another he said he didn't care for it. As I said, people hear what they want to hear.

Yes, people are complex and they do change their opinions all the time. However, in this case, with as consistent as Jay has been with his opinion on car designs, I'm pretty sure the C7 isn't for him. With age comes more difficulty in accepting new things. That applies to Jay, and he has even admitted as much.

DREAMERAK 01-25-2013 11:14 PM

Originally Posted by Redmenace (Post 1582946380)

Yes he is very enthusiastic about the stingray, obviously liked it very much.

Big Dan 427 01-26-2013 06:26 AM

Originally Posted by speedfreak27 (Post 1582941073)
VO is an awesome color. A new one they've come out with is Volcano Yellow. It's a yellow base with green flake in it. Looks great on the 12C Spyder. Sucks for McLaren that their cars aren't selling. The problems with the car during it's launch have turned a lot of people off despite the fact that those problems have all been corrected. Doesn't help that the 5th Gear guys said it sucked. They didn't know how to properly drive the car, so therefore it was a bad car.

That that VY sounds like a beautful color! :thumbs: I will get to drive my friends car when the weather gets nice in April/May but I agree, it was a tough start! P.S. One of my favorite colors ever is Snake Skin Green on the Viper, I wish GM would have their version!

DREAMERAK 01-26-2013 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by speedfreak27 (Post 1582947351)
In reality, it's the other way around. You made mine. Just because he says it's beautiful doesn't mean he has to like it. How many times have you said something you didn't really mean to not insult the person standing next to you? In Jay's case, not only was he next to a GM executive, but he was on camera next to this person as well. He's said the same thing about the Lamborghini Aventador in one video, but in another he said he didn't care for it. As I said, people hear what they want to hear.

Yes, people are complex and they do change their opinions all the time. However, in this case, with as consistent as Jay has been with his opinion on car designs, I'm pretty sure the C7 isn't for him. With age comes more difficulty in accepting new things. That applies to Jay, and he has even admitted as much.

I didn't know you could read Jays mind via a recored video, have thought about wall street? You may want to add, people believe what they want to believe.

HDBADDOG55 01-26-2013 07:14 PM

Awesome video. Can't wait to see this beauty at my local dealership. Do any members know what the exterior and interior color options will be? Can't say I was very impressed with the black wheels or the rear spoiler, but maybe it will grow on me. I wasn't overly impressed with the new C6 design when it first came out, but, having owned one for the past 4 1/2 years I can truly say that I love it. Hope I feel the same when I purchase the new C7.Still, Corvette is by far the best bang for your buck hands down.

DREAMERAK 01-26-2013 07:18 PM

Here is a link to the sales brochure. http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c7-g...-brochure.html

HDBADDOG55 01-26-2013 09:00 PM

Thanks! That was just what I was looking for.

zland 01-26-2013 09:45 PM

1. 7 speed, not 6.
2. Longer wheel base on C7.
3. Not sure of Eds HP numbers were did because he didn't want to correct Leno?
4. First time I had seen dash, Speedo change, interesting.
5. Like storage bin behind screen.
6. I do remember Leno staying he disliked the Nissan 350Z but he didn't say it in front of the Nissan people. In the end doesn't master if Leno likes it it not, if you like it is what matters.

zland 01-26-2013 09:48 PM

1. 7 speed, not 6.
2. Longer wheel base on C7.
3. Not sure of Eds HP numbers were did because he didn't want to correct Leno?
4. First time I had seen dash, Speedo change, interesting.
5. Like storage bin behind screen.
6. I do remember Leno saying he disliked the Nissan 350Z but he didn't say it in front of the Nissan people. In the end doesn't master if Leno likes it it not, if you like it is what matters.

gbgary 01-26-2013 11:15 PM

the more i see the c7s on the street (in videos) the more i like them. will have to get one in a couple of years...if i can.

Gage 01-27-2013 02:03 AM

Well Jay is not going to tell the head designer to his face on a TV show that he doesn't like the direction that the corvette is going...No one is going to tell it to your face if your baby is ugly...you usually something nice like "he/she is beautiful" and then in private you might tell your wife, "wow that kids is not that good looking" . Also consider that Jay is aware that Wall Street probably values his opinion on cars and negative comments he might make could effect GM's stock price!!!

His comment that the car does not look American, but European, might be a compliment to many cars, but not a vette. iI can only compare it to other times when he saw new models and I observed him get much more excited when he likes something...Just my opinion.