CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C7 General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion-142/)
-   -   Tadge explains why 6 vs 8 speed auto... (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion/3205511-tadge-explains-why-6-vs-8-speed-auto.html)

skank 03-28-2013 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by jkcam6017 (Post 1583481199)
Clarkson's review was spot on. Pay 100K pounds more for the Ferrari and match the Z06 performance, with some more street roadability. Of course he doesn't go on to say that cost of ownership of the Ferrari is also exorbitant.

The reality is Clarkson bought a ZR1 after he drove one in the San Francisco to Bonneville show. He was so impressed with the torque of the ZR1 and commented about how smooth and docile it seemed until you would put your foot into it. The massive torque of the motor is the very attribute which allows less gears to be used. A 8 speed gearbox is just a waste in a Vette. Totally unnecessary !!!!

tuxnharley 03-28-2013 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by skank (Post 1583483051)
The reality is Clarkson bought a ZR1 after he drove one in the San Francisco to Bonneville show. He was so impressed with the torque of the ZR1 and commented about how smooth and docile it seemed until you would put your foot into it. The massive torque of the motor is the very attribute which allows less gears to be used. A 8 speed gearbox is just a waste in a Vette. Totally unnecessary !!!!

Interesting - Thanks for posting/sharing that nugget! I wonder if he ever actually acknowledged that on the show?

:cheers:

skank 03-28-2013 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by tuxnharley (Post 1583483231)
Interesting - Thanks for posting/sharing that nugget! I wonder if he ever actually acknowledged that on the show?

Here is a video of Tadge discussing the media response to the ZR1 and at 2:22 he mentions Clarkson buying a ZR1. Clarkson also named the 2009 ZR1 Top Gear Car of the Year. It will be interesting what he thinks of the C7. Whether you like him or not he's probably the most influential car guy in the world.

tuxnharley 03-28-2013 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by skank (Post 1583483377)
Here is a video of Tadge discussing the media response to the ZR1 and at 2:22 he mentions Clarkson buying a ZR1. Clarkson also named the 2009 ZR1 Top Gear Car of the Year. It will be interesting what he thinks of the C7. Whether you like him or not he's probably the most influential car guy in the world.
2009 Corvette ZR1 - Media Reaction - YouTube

Thanks again! Yeah - I have always thought of Clarkson as an arrogant @$$ - but may now have to modify the @$$ part of that assessment a bit............:D

jumper5836 03-28-2013 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by CitationZ06@yahoo (Post 1582921926)
Talked about rev match and how you can more the shifter around and watch the rpms jump to the new RPM and that it may be fun to try to turn it off and try to do as good as it does. You have the master knob to change settings but in the center stack you can mix match functions like loud exhaust and stiff ride in tour mode. I want this car more and more; the more I learn!! I also am more of a Z06 guy but the base car is looking great!

You bring up a great aspect of this new feature. At 6 min mark on the video.

Keeping the rpm up while up shifting is critical and helps close the gap a little on what an automatic DCT has gained over the manual during up shifts.