CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C6 Corvette General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion-74/)
-   -   Do you fully use the capabilities of your C6????????????????????? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion/3202241-do-you-fully-use-the-capabilities-of-your-c6.html)

R&L's C6 01-18-2013 09:34 AM

Do you fully use the capabilities of your C6?????????????????????

I will be the first to admit it. I don't race or track my car, so I probably only use 60% of the performance capabilities my car has less than 10% of the time. Everyone is touting the performance number of the new C7 but at what point is all that complex and expensive technology just a waste of money for those of us that just street drive these cars? I understand some of you race your car and that's totally different. I do like the C7 and hope to have one someday, but for me its not about being a better performing car, our C6's already have more performance than I ever use. JMHO

LFZ 01-18-2013 09:38 AM

I don't know about you...but I use every bit of it each time I take it out..whether it be to the track or starbucks. Shifting at 7000rpms, taking turns at 1.2Gs, etc. What fun would it be if you just moped around in one?

BWF07 01-18-2013 09:42 AM

I will admit that as a street car, I don't use it to its full potential and I really doubt anyone does. Also unless you have been to a competitive driving school, you won't be using it to its full potential. Most likely with out professional training, if you try and push it to it full potential, you most likely will get your self in a lot of trouble as well as those around you.

dvilin 01-18-2013 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by R&L's C6 (Post 1582872786)
I will be the first to admit it. I don't race or track my car, so I probably only use 60% of the performance capabilities my car has less than 10% of the time. Everyone is touting the performance number of the new C7 but at what point is all that complex and expensive technology just a waste of money for those of us that just street drive these cars? I understand some of you race your car and that's totally different. I do like the C7 and hope to have one someday, but for me its not about being a better performing car, our C6's already have more performance than I ever use. JMHO

I agree in general with all you say. As you noted most people will never use the full performance capabilities of their Vette or other cars. It is a matter of bragging rights, knowing it is there for those few minutes of experiencing its full potential.
Also much of the technology is not wasted 100% as it is used on many other GM vehicles.

j_digi454 01-18-2013 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by BWF07 (Post 1582872884)
I will admit that as a street car, I don't use it to its full potential and I really doubt anyone does.

:iagree: Full potential? Not even close.

Svre46 01-18-2013 09:50 AM

I have used only a percent or two of what mine could do. I took it home Monday after buying it and it is now sitting in the garage covered for winter. :banghead:

wolfdogs 01-18-2013 09:52 AM

That's the way it's been since the introduction of the first muscle car ;)

z06inVB 01-18-2013 09:54 AM

No not even close.

JohnAE455 01-18-2013 10:11 AM

Not even close. I only drive on the street so I don't come close to pushing the limits of a car that can go 190 mph.

CETA 256 01-18-2013 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by JohnAE455 (Post 1582873169)
Not even close. I only drive on the street so I don't come close to pushing the limits of a car that can go 190 mph.

:iagree: I am sure I couldn't use its full potential. They can be dangerous if your not careful.:thumbs:

GSoldman 01-18-2013 10:21 AM

i try but the the car has more ability than i do. i enjoy a good spirited run down winding back roads , a blast down the drag strip and every other month or so a weekend on the road coarse. i bought a vette because its a performance car and thats how i use it.

Wayne O 01-18-2013 11:35 AM

"Do you fully use the capabilities of your C6?????????????????????"

Absolutely....I'm an avid road racer and my C6 is now a dedicated track car. I continually modify the car to enhance its capabilities and to be competitive. As for really using the full capabilities of your car (and your driving skill) IMO there's no substitute for running on road courses. It's a blast! :thumbs:

Z06bob 01-18-2013 11:38 AM

Definitely punch it every time I take it out.The most fun is going to our local track,NED, with the Corvette club.Unfortunately,verts cannot run the full 1/4 mile w/o a roll bar.But racing the 1/8 is still fun. My stock GS 60' time is 2.0 mainly because of the big rear tires and 8 seconds @ 90 mph in the 1/8.I believe the car will go low 12's @ 115 in the 1/4, similar times of the coupes.

redrckt97 01-18-2013 11:50 AM

potential in itself can be very satisfying - knowing you have it, you don't have to use it all the time. I drive mine daily where I don't and shouldn't use all its potential -- but do a few track days /autocrosses where its potential comes out - but even if I did not get to use it that way I would be pleased to know I could. I bought a Vette for its great performance per dollar factor - but maybe its better said "potential per dollar"?

ShockwaveGT 01-18-2013 11:55 AM

Nope. Daily driver here and that's about it. But love every mile of it.

johnodrake 01-18-2013 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by LFZ (Post 1582872844)
I don't know about you...but I use every bit of it each time I take it out..whether it be to the track or starbucks. Shifting at 7000rpms, taking turns at 1.2Gs, etc. What fun would it be if you just moped around in one?

Don't come to Guilford County or Forsyth or Rockingham - the law dawgs will getcha!

Torchsport 01-18-2013 12:11 PM

If I can find the time, I'll take my GS to the track. :thumbs:
My problem is I already have 6 motorcycle track days scheduled for this summer...:yesnod:

LFZ 01-18-2013 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by johnodrake (Post 1582874307)
Don't come to Guilford County or Forsyth or Rockingham - the law dawgs will getcha!

They get you here too....mostly due to UGR cars giving anything thats wide, low, and fast a bad rep. There are local forum members that know about this well...:hide:

Just because you shift at 7k rpms...doesn't mean you have to go 100mph. :D

brooklync5 01-18-2013 12:17 PM

Its kind of a shame but I really dont. I drive it to work nearly every day and find myself sitting at traffic lights more than actually on the throttle. Havent taken it to the track and really dont use more than 50 percent of its capabilities even on the open highway. Its a shame but I still enjoy looking at it. After all the cosmetic mods its certainly a pleasure to look at especially when I dont owe a penny on it knowing its mine and no one elses is nice.

Scuba Ghost 01-18-2013 12:27 PM

Not even close....I didn't buy my Corvette to race it, take it to the track, or to push its limits. I bought it because I have always liked the Corvette and its nice to know that if I need to use the power I have it.