CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C6 Corvette General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion-74/)
-   -   Deadbeats and my C6 (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion/3192887-deadbeats-and-my-c6.html)

Mad*Max 01-03-2013 06:58 PM

:lurk:

azcanuk 01-03-2013 07:47 PM

always wondered

Originally Posted by mabryusmc (Post 1582727052)
I wish no one would notice me... but its hard not to when 75% of the cars in this town are early 90's, half rice'd out, or on their last leg. You stick a bright yellow vett in the mix..... it sticks out.

Our club does the Vette show up there every year, having 20 - 30 Vette’s up there, however I will not be doing it again. Had kids dragging ice cream covered fingers along the side of the car, a dad carrying his kid walked so close to the car that the kid’s foot kicked the mirror.. then there was the vagrant walking down the street cursing all of us for "wasting" our money on cars.

We have never had an issue with anyone messing with the cars while parked at the hotels or on the streets but have noticed there seems to be an increasing number of homeless people panhandling on Whiskey Row and walking the streets at night. We usually get up there 4 or 5 times a year and thinking might start to take "the other car" on the trips up there.

su8pack1 01-03-2013 08:27 PM

I've though about cameras myself when I'm out and will be parking it somewhere.

Keep 'Em Flying 01-03-2013 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by azcanuk (Post 1582728829)
Our club does the Vette show up there every year, having 20 - 30 Vette’s up there, however I will not be doing it again. Had kids dragging ice cream covered fingers along the side of the car, a dad carrying his kid walked so close to the car that the kid’s foot kicked the mirror.. then there was the vagrant walking down the street cursing all of us for "wasting" our money on cars.

We have never had an issue with anyone messing with the cars while parked at the hotels or on the streets but have noticed there seems to be an increasing number of homeless people panhandling on Whiskey Row and walking the streets at night. We usually get up there 4 or 5 times a year and thinking might start to take "the other car" on the trips up there.

Sorry to hear that Prescott and Whiskey Row have gone trashy, it used to be such a fun place before it was "discovered" :(

mabryusmc 01-03-2013 08:55 PM

I dont think it was just a spilled drink. I park away from everyone so someone would be going out of their way to carry a drink that close to my car. Plus the splash pattern was pretty large.

I know its not THAT big of a deal, It was only soda. If it was something beyond control than I would more than likely suck it up. It just bothers me that someone would do that to another persons property.

I think cameras would be a great idea. I dont think having cameras would attract would-be thieves either. If anything I would think it would deter them from messing with a car. wouldnt want to be caught on tape....

I have a black Contour helmet cam that I am thinking of putting up behind the rear-view mirror, pointing forwards. With a 32gb card and a full battery I can get a ton of record time out of it. granted it wont last forever.... but the vette is only out of the garage for short stints anyways.

ROD BROWN 01-03-2013 09:13 PM

Freeway debris

I live in Hollywd,Ca. and last week while driving N/B on the 101 Freeway ,a truck going N/B on to the 5 Freeway goes around a curb and 2 medium sized crates slide off the flat bed and hit the front of my Vette.The driver kept going and didn't even look back.I couldn't go after him as he was on the other ramp and to try to find him would be close to impossible with that much head start.Sad thing is my insurance has to pop.The boxes weren't even tied down.I am really lucky they didn't hit my windshield as I would have been a fatality.Rod:flag::flag::chevy:flag::fla g:

designerRob 01-03-2013 09:16 PM

Sorry to hear. Unfortunately jealous azzholes are everywhere. Probably delinquent kids.

STEVE MC 01-03-2013 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by designerRob (Post 1582729559)
Sorry to hear. Unfortunately jealous azzholes are everywhere. Probably delinquent kids.

:iagree: :smash::smash::smash:

NorthTXC6 01-03-2013 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by LS WON (Post 1582727226)
It's worse in California:ack::toetap: We have so much road debris from sheet rock, nails, glass, refrigerators, applicances, plywood, couches furniture, building materials, landscaping equipment with just about everything including the kitchen sink and anything than can damage your Corvette since our cars our low we are even more suceptible to getting the worst of damage but any of the above will damage any motorist driving on the freeways and beat up streets here.
Plus we have the worst roads all beat up, pot holes that will bend your rims or ruin your alignment. More expensive to maintain a car here because of all this that we pay for but doesn't get done.:cuss

Don't even think of taking your Corvette to San Francisco (real bad roads) and especially in the hilly areas. Not a Corvette friendly place. Better off with a Buick Park Avenue to protect yourself (body) from all the shock and isolate you better from torn up unmaintaned roads.:toetap:

I grew up and lived in San Diego for 40 years before moving to Texas a few years ago. I still miss the weather and the beaches, especially when the weather here in Dallas doesn't make for good driving in the vette, but I don't miss the pot holes since there's no money for roadwork or running over a mattress on the 5 fwy! Plus, lots of vettes here in TX and people seem to be nicer to their cars here, or at least I don't feel there's as much of a deliberate push for vandalism, although there are a-holes everywhere....

laconiajack 01-03-2013 09:29 PM

I suspect a yellow Vette with black wheels to some is like waving a red flag in front of a bull; just asking for trouble. I have no knowlege of Prescott, nor Wiskey Row, but based on this limited info, I don't intend to go there soon. Apparently the median price of homes in the last five years has declined from $340,000.00 to $200,000.00, or some 41%, so I suspect their are a lot of frustrated people in Prescott, not a good thing if you flaunt your well being.

CO_GTS 01-03-2013 09:35 PM

About 14 years ago when I had my first Corvette I went to the local hardware store and was sure to park well away and up-slope in the lot. Just before I walked in the door I looked back way across the lot to see a POS ricer park right next to the vette. I stopped and watched while the teenage driver, with great force, opened his door into the side of my car. Next 4 other 18 years old guys piled out and praised the driver for his act.

While my first instinct was to run out and confront the lot of them I thought the wiser of it and went into the store and made a revised purchase. Quickly returning to my car I wrote out a rather vile and obscene note and nailed it to the hood of the ricer with massive spike I had just bought. Every time I use the hammer I bought that day it makes me think of it.

I'm not saying what I did was right or that I am proud of it; I'm just telling the story...

JKbride 01-03-2013 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by schneid (Post 1582727141)
God bless the south baby!:rock:

I mostly get waves and thumbs up in GA. :thumbs:

:iagree:

God love the South, down here it seems everyone loves cars:thumbs:

mpuzach 01-03-2013 09:51 PM

Originally Posted by CO_GTS (Post 1582729748)
About 14 years ago when I had my first Corvette I went to the local hardware store and was sure to park well away and up-slope in the lot. Just before I walked in the door I looked back way across the lot to see a POS ricer park right next to the vette. I stopped and watched while the teenage driver, with great force, opened his door into the side of my car. Next 4 other 18 years old guys piled out and praised the driver for his act.

While my first instinct was to run out and confront the lot of them I thought the wiser of it and went into the store and made a revised purchase. Quickly returning to my car I wrote out a rather vile and obscene note and nailed it to the hood of the ricer with massive spike I had just bought. Every time I use the hammer I bought that day it makes me think of it.

I'm not saying what I did was right or that I am proud of it; I'm just telling the story...

I agree with you that it wasn't necessarily right but under the circumstances I'd have wanted to do the same thing. Thanks for sharing your story. :cheers:

Iconic 01-03-2013 09:52 PM

returning to my car I wrote out a rather vile and obscene note and nailed it to the hood of the ricer with massive spike I had just bought. Every time I use the hammer I bought that day it makes me think of it.

That was awesome. :cool:

rjrausch 01-03-2013 09:54 PM

I took my "new to me" white '08 coupe to our Albuquerque Isotopes AAA ball game last summer. When we came out, some Cretan had hocked a lugee on my windshield. Nice

Thomasmoto 01-03-2013 10:07 PM

You know I was raised to respect other people's property, but that isn't the norm anymore.

azcanuk 01-03-2013 10:35 PM

Originally Posted by rjrausch (Post 1582729928)
I took my "new to me" white '08 coupe to our Albuquerque Isotopes AAA ball game last summer. When we came out, some Cretan had hocked a lugee on my windshield. Nice

Originally from Edmonton, I would made a point of heading to the Coyotes/Oilers games. After one game I walked up to the car to find that someone had done the same thing (several times) on the hood of my car.

Think it might have been due to my plate (AZCANUK) which some Coyotes fans may have taken as supporting the Oilers.

Flame Red 01-04-2013 08:18 AM

What do you expect when 47% of the population are takers? I do NOT drive the car where the takers congregate. SprawlMart comes to mind as the top of the list.

TLS_Addict 01-04-2013 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by Thomasmoto (Post 1582730041)
You know I was raised to respect other people's property, but that isn't the norm anymore.

Exactly.

ATC399 01-04-2013 09:14 AM

OK.. I'll say it was the right thing to do....:thumbs: