CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C5 General (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-general-103/)
-   -   Tire pressure sensor (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-general/3192039-tire-pressure-sensor.html)

emtmike 01-02-2013 01:21 AM

Tire pressure sensor

When I had my new PS2's put on my 2001 Z06, I also wanted to purchase the tire sensor stems to make sure the pressure is always right. The salesman proceeded to tell me my model didn't have that option, so I didn't buy them :cry. Then somebody told me that Belle Tire had the sensor stems, and box for inside the car :hurray:. When we were having tires put on my sons car at Belle tire, I asked them about the sensors for my car. The saleman told me that my car did have that option, and I could have bought the tire sensors for my car :confused2::confused2:. Does anybody know if that was a standard option for my Z06, or was it an addtional option you would have to buy? :banghead:.

DeeGee 01-02-2013 01:30 AM

I'm sure some members have fitted TPS to a Z06. You can certainly fit the new components to an older pre 01 system. I'll try to find the link.

DeeGee 01-02-2013 01:44 AM

The Remote Keyless Entry System
The remote keyless entry system shares components with the tire pressure monitoring system. Living in the UK there’s some confusion over which parts to use for which cars. I dug into the manuals to try to find the full story.
The main components are 2 key fob transmitters, 4 tire pressure sensors and a remote control door lock receiver (RCDLR) which acts as a common radio receiver for both elements.
Looking at the keyless entry system first, each key fob transmitter has a unique vehicle access code that changes every 5 seconds. As a security feature, the transmitter does not send the same signal twice to the RCDLR and the receiver will not respond to a signal that has been sent previously. This prevents anyone from recording and playing back the signal from the transmitter. Because of this feature, if a transmitter or receiver is replaced, each transmitter must be reprogrammed to the vehicle's receiver.
The Tire Pressure Monitor (TPM) system displays the tire pressures on the Driver Information Center (DIC). The system uses the Remote Control Door Lock Receiver (RCDLR), Body Control Module (BCM), Powertrain Control Module (PCM), 4 radio frequency transmitting pressure sensors inside each wheel/tire assembly, and a class 2 serial data circuit to perform the system functions. When the vehicle is stationary for more than 20 minutes the sensors go into power down mode. In this mode the sensors transmit tire pressure data once every 60 minutes, this minimizes sensor battery consumption. These batteries are not easily changed so have to be replaced once the batteries die. Typically, the DIC will read XXX to show a dead battery. As vehicle speed increases to 32 km/h (20 mph) the sensor's internal roll switches turn the sensors on and they will each begin to transmit a unique identification code and a radio frequency signal. The RCDLR receives and translates this data in to tire location and tire pressure. The RCDLR sends this data to the DIC via a class 2 serial data circuit where the tire pressures are displayed. For this reason the TPMs have to be programmed using a learning mode in the DIC to tell the car where they are mounted and to pass sensor data to the computers.
The US models have 2 different versions of TPMs with the older version being more expensive. There is a 3rd type for Euro models which, unfortunately, are also more expensive. Check with your vendor but the part numbers appear to be:
97-00 – 10438853
Apparently an after market Schrader TPS sensor part number 28006 will work with a 97-00 and is much cheaper
01-04 - 25773946
Euro – 10354987 (Tire pressure sensor export) There may be a new part number to replace this standard. I’ve seen a post in a German Forum which states that the following part numbers are compatible but I can’t verify this - 10330204, 10438854, 10422623, 10402717, 10354987, 10316125, 10277791.
Euro 00-01 C5 the sensor number is 20807214 (courtesy autocolour)
The key fobs are in 4 groups. It’s not clear why the 00 has a different part number but I believe it’s because the passive entry feature was deleted during the 00 model year:
97-99 - 10253839
00 - 10432147
01-04 - Number 1 Fob - 25695954
01-04 - Number 2 Fob – 25695955
Euro transmitters 97-04 (transmitter R/CON DR LK) - 10407640
The RDLCR part numbers for the US models are:
97-00 - Remote control door lock receiver - 10422621
01-04 - Remote Control Door Lock Receiver - 10312535
There is much confusion about frequencies. One Corvette Forum member (seoulbrooks) checked with Schrader who manufacture the OEM tire pressure sensor transmitters and elicited some good information. Both the US systems actually transmit at the same frequency of 315Mhz. Even though they operate on the same frequencies the receivers and transmitters have a year group specific code which must match for the transmitter and receiver to communicate. The older fobs and TPSs will not work with the newer RDLCR. The Euro transmitters work at a different frequency of 433 MHz for European emission compliance. I’ve been unable to verify that.
The part numbers for Euro versions:
97-00 - Remote control door lock receiver (Export) - 10426004
01-04 Remote Control Door Lock Receiver 10431034
It is possible to retrofit the later US standard into US 97-00 and Euro Vettes. The kit includes both fobs, a RCDLR, an RCDLR connector, 4 TPMs and mounting nuts. The kit is available from www.gmpartshouse.com for about $400 which is about the same price as 4 older sensors which are becoming harder to order.
You can program the TPMs using as strong magnet:
1. Turn the ignition to ON.
2. Press the RESET button in order to clear any IPC display warning messages.
3. Press and release the OPTIONS button on the DIC to scroll through the display options until the IPC display is blank.
4. Press and hold the RESET button for 3 seconds.
5. Press the OPTIONS button again until the TIRE TRAINING message appears.
6. Press the RESET button until the IPC LEARN L FRONT TIRE message appears in order to begin the programming sequence.
7. Place the magnet over the TPM sensor.
8. The horn will sound, indicating the left front TPM sensor is programmed. (if not use a bigger magnet)
9. When the horn sounds, proceed to program the next TPM sensor in the order directed
by the IPC messages:
- LEARN R FRONT TIRE
- LEARN R REAR TIRE
- LEARN L REAR TIRE

Programming Cancellation

The programming mode will be cancelled if any of the following conditions are met:
• The program mode is exited through the DIC.
• The ignition is turned to OFF.
• All four sensors have been programmed.
• The TPM system has been in the program mode for longer than 2 minutes and no sensors have been learned.
If the program mode is cancelled with less than four codes stored, the receiver will only accept the codes programmed up to that point.
Fob Training
1. Turn the ignition to ON.
2. Turn the radio to OFF.
3. Press the RESET button on the driver information center (DIC) in order to clear any IPC warning messages.
4. Press and release the OPTIONS button on the DIC to scroll through the display options until the IPC display is blank.
5. Press and hold the RESET button for 3 seconds.
6. Press the OPTIONS button until FOB TRAINING message is displayed.
7. Press the RESET button in order to begin the programming sequence. The message HOLD LK + UNLK 1ST FOB will be displayed.
8. Simultaneously press and hold the LOCK and UNLOCK buttons on the first transmitter for 15 seconds. The IPC will indicate when that transmitter is programmed and when to proceed to the next. Repeat this procedure for each additional transmitter or press the OPTIONS button to exit.
The receiver will cancel the programming sequence if any of the following conditions occur:
• The program mode is exited through the DIC.
• The ignition is turned to OFF.
• The three transmitters have been programmed.
• The RFA system has been in the program mode for longer than 2 minutes and no transmitters have been learned.
If the program mode is cancelled with less than 3 codes stored, the receiver will only accept the codes just stored. If the program mode is cancelled before any code is stored, the codes still remain valid.
The receiver retains all current access codes in memory if either of the following conditions occur:
• A programming sequence is interrupted.
• The battery is disconnected.
Synchronizing Transmitters
Perform the following procedure if a transmitter cannot communicate or becomes out of synchronization with the receiver:
1. Move a programmed transmitter within range.
2. Press the LOCK and UNLOCK buttons on the transmitter simultaneously for 7 seconds.
3. The horn will chirp once when the transmitter is synchronized. Repeat this procedure for each additional transmitter if needed.

Remote Control Door Lock Receiver

RCDLR Location
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...agrams/RFA.jpg

DeeGee 01-02-2013 01:56 AM

I guess the RFA/door lock module is already there for the keyless entry.

A link:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-z...-on-a-z06.html

How to activate the TPM mode with a Tech II:

http://www.stopforce.com/RPO.html

DeeGee 01-02-2013 02:06 AM

The Answer

TPMs were not fitted originally to save weight.

From another Forum:

"It didn't come with it but it can be added. The info is in the programming. Anyone with a Tech II can turn it on (or off if you have a coupe) it only takes about 2 minutes. All you need are the sensors and have it turned on.

The Z also didn't come with automatic headlight turn on but it can be added also. In the vent at the base of the windshield on the left side there is a hole for the daylight sensor. I think the sensor is about $15. The wiring is already there. Buy the sensor, hook it up and have it turned on with the Tech II also."

Vetteman Jack 01-02-2013 07:51 AM

:iagree: The Z06 did not come standard with the TPS but you can add it to the car. Nice safety feature IMO.

3sACROWD 01-02-2013 09:16 AM

As previously mentioned, TPMS can be added to a Z06 as well as auto headlights.

If you go to a stealership, they will also tell you it cannot be done. I went to 3 stealerships and all had the same reply until I showed them the instructions. Then of course they said they could do it for $75.00.

I went to a local shop with a Tech 2 and they did it for me for $15.00. Discount Tire installed the sensors while replacing my rear tires and charged me $8.00 a tire to do the fronts. (I supplied the sensors.) If I remember correctly, it turned out my sensors were the same as the replacements offered by Discount Tire.