CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C6 Corvette General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion-74/)
-   -   Corvette "the old mans car" (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion/3186630-corvette-the-old-mans-car.html)

Boba Fett 12-22-2012 02:51 AM

Corvette "the old mans car"

-Where'd this come from?
-How long has it been this way?
-How often do you hear this? (if you do)
-Do you agree?

Like many here, I graduated to a vette after owning trans ams, Camaros/mustangs and actually owning my first (formula) at 16. Ive been a vette fan since then as well as my other little car buddies. Never once did we even think of the vette as an old mans car, but rather the ultimate. Got my 1st vette @ 32. I get compliments on my vette all the time, including from young guys/gals. Whats your take on this old man car stuff?

Torchsport 12-22-2012 03:24 AM

It's been a topic of discussion often here.
Mainly, it's a car most can't buy until later in life, as it's not a practical family vehicle.

I waited until I saved enough cash. Took me until I was 46.

Z06LUST 12-22-2012 03:30 AM

Originally Posted by bobafett (Post 1582631001)
-Where'd this come from?
-Do you agree?

With all respect- are you serious?
Try since about 1962....
Vettes have been top of the market in terms of price...takes income, takes age....prior to the new internet world of 20 something millionaires..very few (except for a well of daddy) could afford a Vette before 30-40..and if traditionally married...figure kids gone and 50.

The Stereoype really took off in the 70;s...middle age doctors, dentists and lawyers-gold chains and all.

Hear it often-it is the midlife crisis car of Americna culture--wish, pray, hope, argue all you want but the stereotype is not going away. And that fact is driving GM marketing folks nuts as the boomer population ages...thus GM's attempt to turn the Vette into a young man's car but the economics of it are still against the proposition.

To quote Jay Leno: "Two middle age guys with Corvettes, you never see that"...yuck yuck yuck...

LS3 Monster 12-22-2012 03:56 AM

Man if i was a millionaire i would buy a lamborghini, not a corvette.

Cyber Greg 12-22-2012 04:01 AM

Who're you calling old?

TerryL 12-22-2012 04:19 AM

Originally Posted by LS3 Monster (Post 1582631086)

I'd love to have an old Countach! With the wing! :thumbs:

sar10 12-22-2012 04:45 AM

On a recent auction show, one of the commentators stated the latest statistics show the average age of Corvette purchasers is 61. Now the debate can begin as to whether 61 is "old". :D

KnightRid3r 12-22-2012 05:07 AM

The beauty of this car is that it suits all ages but most people choose not to spend that type of money on a car until the more experienced years. The car itself is suited to please all ages though which makes it great. Just like everyone here I get compliments from young kids to older people (Men and women) I am only 27 and i think most people think I am driving around my father's vehicle. I for one think it is great having a car that various age groups stop me and want to chat about. I didn't get nearly as many compliments or spur of the moment conversations when I had my 2000 SS. I always arrive early just for the time to chit chat with a fellow car enthusiast.

shaimerej 12-22-2012 05:23 AM

I don't think it's an older person's car. It's just that most people who own one are older.

p4snow 12-22-2012 05:26 AM

I also waited until I could pay cash which took me until 62. I look at people my age and think they look old! No gray hair yet for me.

AviBen 12-22-2012 07:00 AM

So what if it's an old man's car? I AM (statistically) an old man, and I hang around with other old men and old ladies, and I like it! Young men don't envy us much -- except for the vette.

USAF 12-22-2012 07:06 AM

Wait!!!!
Gold Chains???

I know I have some left from the 80's.

Now I havta find them???

Crap

USAF

LFZ 12-22-2012 07:10 AM

Old man car for sure....I only like vettes, because my old man liked vettes so I grew up in this learned environment. But you do see more and more "younger" 25-35 owning vettes and mostly due to graduating from a camaro or needing something to pull more tail.

Chicks dig the Vettes....only because it makes you look like you have money.

roscoe118 12-22-2012 07:23 AM

...absolutely! But it's the only car I've ever owned that makes me feel 20 years younger every time I get in it.
I won't speak to how long it takes me to get in, though...:D

m.whitmell 12-22-2012 07:30 AM

You would have to be worth millions to own one of these....I've seen many with new clutch replacements as low as 6000 miles at $5-6000 a pop.......:willy:

obxchartercaptain 12-22-2012 07:38 AM

Like I have said many times..... I could care less what labels people put on what I do. I've got one and they DON'T....They will NEVER know what it feels like to drive one....:auto:

N2TU 12-22-2012 07:43 AM

Originally Posted by obxchartercaptain (Post 1582631372)
Like I have said many times..... I could care less what labels people put on what I do. I've got one and they DON'T....They will NEVER know what it feels like to drive one....:auto:

Well said....!!

:iagree:

not08crmanymore 12-22-2012 08:00 AM

Wait!!!!
Gold Chains???

I know I have some left from the 80's.

Now I havta find them???

Crap

USA
I just bought 3 new gold chains!:D Does this mean the VETTE is the new CAMARO IROC??:toetap:

MTsVette 12-22-2012 08:01 AM

I was 49 when I bought my first Vette, a 1999 Coupe. I "waited" until my 3 kids had their own cars before I bought one. Also, most families, including me, found a Vette not practical, being a third vehicle. That said, I finally did achieve my dreams, although it took me longer than some 25-35's I've seen on the forum. That's ok, I don't consider myself "old" at 52 now and I'm happy with my 2006 Coupe. I believe anyone can afford a Corvette, albet not a new one, if they chose one that's 3-6 years old. My wife and I make good $, but new Corvette's are out of my comfort zone in terms of what I "want" to pay for a car.

All that said, age is just a number. When I'm driving my 400 HP rocket, I instantly turn 20 again. Nothing like it...

MT --Merry Christmas to all my Corvette friends, any age!!:cheers:

heli-vette 12-22-2012 08:41 AM

like the Ad says " Camaro the car for people who can't afford corvettes " . You can still justify it as a family car . Not so much for the vette ....... aka old man car .

Quick Silver Z 12-22-2012 08:51 AM

I bought my first at 55, bang per buck was why.

beepster 12-22-2012 08:53 AM

OK, OK...I got it (and accept it). I am an old man and thankful for my health, the things I have, and surviving difficult times (Some of my comrades did not). I'm on my 3rd vette and don't give a rat's a$$ what others think. I love my Callaway and enjoy the brotherhood:cheers:

Mike Campbell 12-22-2012 08:58 AM

I also wanted a Vette since I was a teenager, but, couldn't afford one until after I had sent all 4 of my kids thru college, and paid off my house. Sure, it's an "old guy's car" because of a lot of people like me did the same thing. But, looking back, I really didn't have much of another choice. :rofl:

3GenVettes 12-22-2012 09:11 AM

Since I bought my first vette when I was 28 I didn't consider myself an old man. But that was a long, long time ago. However, my teenage and college age neighbor kids seem to genuinely love my vettes, and they have one their wish list. So l'd say they don't consider the vette an old man's car even though the driver in this case happens to fit that description.

SK360 12-22-2012 09:12 AM

It's def the car show/corvette club crowd that gives that impression. 99% of corvettes at local cruises and shows have tacky **** on them and are driven by an old man. They also like to gather in circle jerks and talk about their newest chrome trinket.

I show up at cruises to see friends, I could care less about your chrome valve covers.

I'd rather be at the drag strip or local autox. I'm 27 and it really wasn't a graduation from a lesser car as my GTO was more comfortable and faster, just boredom and the want for something new.

dvilin 12-22-2012 09:19 AM

Come on Man, you know this has been an old mans car for years. Why because old men buy them.
Just that simple!

Boomer111 12-22-2012 09:22 AM

Waited till the kids were out of the house and I had the cash.

It took till I was 60.

Best bang for the buck and it has torque, unlike the previously owned 350Z and M3.

I guess I qualify.

Kimera 12-22-2012 09:25 AM

22 Year Old LS3 Corvette owner here. I am definately not rich... I work at Best Buy... making $12 an hour. I just don't have any other vices except my car =D

Edit:

I should also state that I don't have any kids and live in a $700/mo apartment. So pretty much you got food corvette beater car and rent I pay for pretty much nothing else.... save about $150mo

I'm happy.

Strake 12-22-2012 09:25 AM

I bought my first vette ( a '65 roadster) in 1975, I was 22 years old. Unfortunately, it was a daily driver...... all numbers matched, perfect condition. I decided I needed something more practical to drive....... I'd kill to have that car back.

We never had any kids, and both had good jobs so we had money for toys, etc. We just bought Corvette #8 but I figured I had to..... it is the 60th Anniversary model and in February, I'll be 60. Must have been meant to be !

Kimera 12-22-2012 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by Strake (Post 1582631891)
I bought my first vette ( a '65 roadster) in 1975, I was 22 years old. Unfortunately, it was a daily driver...... all numbers matched, perfect condition. I decided I needed something more practical to drive....... I'd kill to have that car back.

We never had any kids, and both had good jobs so we had money for toys, etc. We just bought Corvette #8 but I figured I had to..... it is the 60th Anniversary model and in February, I'll be 60. Must have been meant to be !

That is such a beautiful corvette I am deeply envious. My budget would not allow for a widebody =(

Just 4 2 12-22-2012 09:42 AM

well thought about buyiny one in 57, bought a bel air instead, couldn't afford the corvette, got married, kids, drolled over a 63 silver split window, too any kids, always wanted a corvette, going down the street one day with wife and saw a black 94 coupe, told wife "i always wanted a corvette", she bought it for me the next day. also have a 2000 vert and bought a new 07 vert on a friday 2 weeks before xmas, drove it to Lingenfelder the next Monday , still have it Want to buy 1 more, take it back to Lingenfeler , then to Europe for about 6 weeks , drive Germany, Swiss and Italy. Been to some beautiful places over there. Old mans car, maybe , I'm 75 but don't tell anybody. Radio talk show girl was telling " You see a good looking corvette and sneak up behind the driver to make a pass at him and its usually some old white hair or bald guy ".. LOL so what , old guys have fun to. If you have one take it to Lingenfelder and take some clean underware with you when you go pick it up. Merry Xmas guys and gals, gals own them too,

1snake 12-22-2012 09:42 AM

I bought my first Corvette when I was 19. Bought my second one at 21. Since that time, I've always had at least 2 of then in the garage. 16 Corvette's later, I'm now 57. I always figured that it was the Corvette's that kept me young since it's quite obvious that I never grew up.

Jim

obxchartercaptain 12-22-2012 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by SK360 (Post 1582631810)
It's def the car show/corvette club crowd that gives that impression. 99% of corvettes at local cruises and shows have tacky **** on them and are driven by an old man. They also like to gather in circle jerks and talk about their newest chrome trinket.

I show up at cruises to see friends, I could care less about your chrome valve covers.

I'd rather be at the drag strip or local autox. I'm 27 and it really wasn't a graduation from a lesser car as my GTO was more comfortable and faster, just boredom and the want for something new.

Don't know what cruises you've been to or shows for that matter....but the ones I've been to .... it's the "youngsters" who put the "tacky ****" on their Vettes. And as far as your GTO being faster....You pick the time and place....and I'll show you FASSSST.

SK360 12-22-2012 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by obxchartercaptain (Post 1582632128)
Don't know what cruises you've been to or shows for that matter....but the ones I've been to .... it's the "youngsters" who put the "tacky ****" on their Vettes. And as far as your GTO being faster....You pick the time and place....and I'll show you FASSSST.

In a stock LS3 vert? My GTO woulda dragged you down the street. Unfortunately I don't own it anymore which led me to buying the C6 which is painfully stock and slow.... For now.

I don't see much younger guys in C6's around here, I know of a few and they also drive cammed Z06's

boraxman 12-22-2012 10:24 AM

Old man car?...Well I am over 50/:lol:

Gary '09 C6 12-22-2012 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by Torchsport (Post 1582631041)
It's been a topic of discussion often here.
Mainly, it's a car most can't buy until later in life, as it's not a practical family vehicle.

I waited until I saved enough cash. Took me until I was 46.

I have followed a very similar course of action with respect to my "toy" cars. Bought my first (a very used P-928S)
at age 40, then eventually saved enough money to buy new car models & quickly trade-up until I got what I really
wanted. I'm now 57...

z51vett 12-22-2012 10:39 AM

-Where'd this come from?
-Do you agree?

Like many here, I graduated to a vette after owning trans ams, Camaros/mustangs and actually owning my first (formula) at 16. Ive been a vette fan since then as well as my other little car buddies. Never once did we even think of the vette as an old mans car, but rather the ultimate. Got my 1st vette @ 32. I get compliments on my vette all the time, including from young guys/gals. Whats your take on this old man car stuff?

Since mommy and daddy gave them a 4 banger honda or toyota to drive at 16. Oh and you don't have to wash it or maintain it just buy another junker and continue on.
And the price for a vette is more than the younger Generation can afford. They are not into cars they are to busy texting and playing video games.This how they spend their time oh and working with computers they have nothing mechanical, they don't under stand it.
Nothing but 0's and 1's is how they think a thrill for them is texting and video gaming.
z51vett:hide:

FlyingBear 12-22-2012 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by TerryL (Post 1582631111)
I'd love to have an old Countach! With the wing! :thumbs:

Surely one of the most spectacular-looking cars, ever. And it was on every (male) teenager's wall as a poster in the 70s.

But, sorry to burst the fantasy, the car was really not very good. I had one back in 1979. It was supposed to make 440hp; if it was 300, I'd be surprised. The build quality was awful, e.g. the roof liner was a piece of felt glued to the roof, and it fell off whenever there was condensation in the car. The a/c never really worked, which was a problem because you're basically sitting under a sheet of almost-horizontal glass. You got fried on a sunny day. There was always something wrong with the car.

Mine didn't have the wing. Maybe that's why it was no good :-)

It's just amazing how build quality on ALL cars has improved in the 30+ years since then. Newer Lambos are just fine (especially since Audi took over). Ferrari got their act together, except for the 348, around 1989. Porsche was always good, and got spectacular in the 90s. Maserati....not so much.

I just got my first-ever Corvette, and am absolutely stunned at the value for money, and the build quality considering the price. Sure, the interior is a little dated and very "Chevy parts bin", but the parts all fit together well.

You're much better off with a late-model Corvette than a Countach, although a well-restored Countach LOOKS amazing. Just don't drive it too much.

Wayne O 12-22-2012 10:42 AM

Corvette "the old mans car"

Who knew? ;) I'm sure the perception of the Corvette as old man's car came from a predominantly older male customer base. I don't hear it often but from what I know it's been this way for quite-a-while. I wouldn't label the car as such but I don't disagree with the statistical demographics. It is what it is. Typically, the Corvette is prohibitively expensive for younger guys. I think older men often see the Corvette as a reward for years of hard work and practicality. I had a 2-seater sports car in college and then I drove more utility/family-oriented vehicles. I'll admit it, for me the Corvette was a 'reward' of sorts. By the age of 50 I had burnt the proverbial candle at both ends for far too long. I wanted to buy a ‘fun’ car and I could afford it. My teenage daughter (the Queen of Sarcasm) once made the midlife crisis remark about my Corvette. I'm sorry but to me a "crisis" implies the potential for something undesirable. I don't see anything undesirable about driving a Corvette.

Now pushing 60 I may fit the old man demographic but how I use my Corvette doesn't match the stereotype. However one enjoys their Corvette is fine. That said my Corvette isn't a shrine in the garage; I'm not afraid to drive in the rain; I don't go to 'cars & coffee' events or do cruise-in's; I'm not into chrome do-dads; I'm not a 'wash & wax' guy; and, I don't enter the car in beauty pageants. I'm an avid road racer. I'm not the fastest (or the slowest) car on the track but I have a blast with the car. I can assure you some of the fastest cars in the groups I run with are modified Corvettes driven by "old men." :) Being an "old man" is a state of mind. I know guys in their 30's who seem old. I know guys in their mid-70's who are young at heart. We may all get older but we don't have to let age define how we live. If someone wants to say my Corvette is an old man's car I'm good with that....see ya at the track. :)

You'd have to be a millionaire to pay the constant, exorbitant service and repair bills. My friend's Dad used to own 2 Ferrari's. It was good he had 2 because one or the other was always in the shop. Adding insult to injury he had to have the car transported to an authorized dealer 150 miles away. He could well afford it but he tired of exotic ownership and sold both of them.

z06inVB 12-22-2012 10:45 AM

I bought my used C5Z06 in 2006 at age 46. It was not that I could not afford one earlier but that I had grown up assuming Vettes were truly old guys cars, they were expensive, hard to insure and difficult to maintain.

Only after a friend loaned me his to drive and told me the real deal and I researched it did I jump on the wagon. I regret I believed the BS all those years and did not get one earlier.

That all said when I pulled in the driveway with my new 2012 base coupe the neighbors boys came over and said..wow you got a geezer car. :rofl:

JimmyLee 12-22-2012 11:06 AM

The Corvette is NOT too expensive for young people, as there is a huge inventory of used, low mileage C5 & C6's out there priced in the Camaro range. Some of these used cars are like new as certain retirees don't drive them much. Furthermore, the insurance is fairly reasonable due to the "older owner's" good driving records.

Yes, the Corvette (despite the large trunk!) is not a practical family car and lacks rear seats. Also, I wonder if young couples might perceive the Corvette as a little too "single and sexy" for an early marriage and raising a family.

SK360 12-22-2012 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by z51vett (Post 1582632440)
Since mommy and daddy gave them a 4 banger honda or toyota to drive at 16. Oh and you don't have to wash it or maintain it just buy another junker and continue on.
And the price for a vette is more than the younger Generation can afford. They are not into cars they are to busy texting and playing video games.This how they spend their time oh and working with computers they have nothing mechanical, they don't under stand it.
Nothing but 0's and 1's is how they think a thrill for them is texting and video gaming.
z51vett:hide:

I grew up spending most of my free time playing with computers (and during school time as well which led to me dropping out of high school and starting but not finishing college), as did my fiancée, we both turned it into rewarding careers young and thus we are able to afford the things we have. You say working with computers as if its a bad thing.

I also enjoy turning wrenches in the garage.

Jackb0524 12-22-2012 11:20 AM

I'm 27 and just got my corvette recently. I used to have a Z28, but the corvette I found was in my price range, so I bumped up. My 98 Z28 is really cheap now. Around $10k or less everywhere. I bought my 2007 C6 with 30k miles for $25,000 before trade in price. I believe thats a great price and affordable to a lot of people. What gets me is,with corvettes so inexpensive, there still "rare" cars on the road.

I think the fact that it's a 2 seater has a lot to do with it since its not a family car. The picture of an "old man" is kids are out of the house, retired, etc... So now it's time for a 2 seater prize. I think eventually teens will start having Vettes more and more as years go by.

phileaglesfan 12-22-2012 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by obxchartercaptain (Post 1582631372)

I agree but one only has to walk near a Corvette Club to see how many older people drive a Corvette. Too bad most of those people won't be able to afford a new one someday.

obxchartercaptain 12-22-2012 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by z06inVB (Post 1582632486)
I bought my used C5Z06 in 2006 at age 46. It was not that I could not afford one earlier but that I had grown up assuming Vettes were truly old guys cars, they were expensive, hard to insure and difficult to maintain.

Only after a friend loaned me his to drive and told me the real deal and I researched it did I jump on the wagon. I regret I believed the BS all those years and did not get one earlier.

That all said when I pulled in the driveway with my new 2012 base coupe the neighbors boys came over and said..wow you got a geezer car. :rofl:

Bring that "geezer" car down to the OBX this spring and meet some REAL "geezers". PS don't forget your trenchcoat...:rofl:

jkeithv 12-22-2012 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by JimmyLee (Post 1582632616)
The Corvette is NOT too expensive for young people, as there is a huge inventory of used, low mileage C5 & C6's out there priced in the Camaro range. Some of these used cars are like new as certain retirees don't drive them much. Furthermore, the insurance is fairly reasonable due to the "older owner's" good driving records.

I agree that the argument that younger people can't afford them doesn't totally hold water. Yes they aren't practical for a family car and all that. But used ones can be had for a reasonable price. Also, many of the owners I know of Ferraris, Lambos, Lotuses, and Porsches are younger than the average age I see in the Vettes. Of course there are exceptions on both sides, but in general the Vette crowd does seem the oldest when compared to other expensive (usually more expensive), impractical sports cars. But who cares, really! I'm 47, so whatever age group that puts me in, and I love my Vette :)

Cyber Greg 12-22-2012 12:12 PM

Just remember 50 is the new 35!

su8pack1 12-22-2012 12:19 PM

My Vette belongs to an old guy. :D

ncvette_1FUNRIDE 12-22-2012 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by shaimerej (Post 1582631144)
I don't think it's an older person's car. It's just that most people who own one are older.

I get compliments all the time from young people, like "Nice car", "Cool car", "Beautiful car".

Look at it this way, if you let a young person drive a Corvette, a Mustang, a Charger, and a Camaro and then offered them their choice of car afterward, how many would choose the others over the Corvette? Not too many IMO.

You have to remember that not many young people have had a hands on experience with a Corvette. They can't just go into a showroom and ask to test drive one. It's not going to happen.

Supersonic 427 12-22-2012 12:41 PM

In reality, as we all know, the Corvette is anything but, an "old mans car"! However, due to the fact that the majority of Corvette owners are by older men... the tag sticks!
We all know the reasons why the majority of Corvettes are owned by older men and have been covered in this thread!
As for me, I am now 59, so I too, fit in the old man Corvette category! However, I have owned Corvettes since I was 18 years old and have had them in my 20's, 30's, 40's and now my 50's. I hope to be able to have one when I take my last gasp in life! Why? Because, I have always had a love affair with the Corvette since I was a very young kid!
A Corvette was not easily affordable for me at 18 (or anytime) and it still is not today at 59. Somehow, regardless of finances or practicality, a Corvette has always been a part of me...Young or Old!

beaubear 12-22-2012 01:13 PM

I have had Corvettes since I was 18 and now that I am 67, wear gold chains and drive a 2013 427 convertible I guess I qualify as an old dude. But it is the car that gets the thumbs up as others pass by and admire its looks or is it my blond haired twenty something year younger wife?

z06inVB 12-22-2012 01:22 PM

That brings up a good question. Are the gold chains a RPO and I just missed them or do they come from Chevy later like the drivers hand book.

If I just forgot to order them any idea who is the best vendor here to get them from? :D

DreamChaser 07 12-22-2012 01:33 PM

Im in my mid twenties and I get the old man car comment alot actually. I laugh it off and look at it this way. Its the best vehicle when you compare the specs, looks, and bang for buck. So it shouldn't be considered as an old man car, but a wise mans car. He who can differentiate the best bang for his buck ( hard earned bucks I might add) should not be considered an old man, but a wise one.

Union/NatBridge 12-22-2012 01:45 PM

I got a good deal on a two-year old 1965 convertible from a fellow university student when I was 22. I had saved enough to pay for both the car and the college tuition by working part time jobs since I was 14. The car cost me $2500 and a year's tuition was about the same. Over the years there have been a few more degrees and five more Corvettes. Each time, the price of every Corvette was about the cost of a year's tuition at a good private university (minus books and board). Each time, the Corvette would be about double the cost of a nice Chevy sedan. So some things haven't changed that much. I was taught early to earn, save, and do some good with what I made. The Corvettes just were a bit of frosting on my cake, never causing sacrifices from family or friends. But when I look around our local Corvette club membership, I see mostly gray (if any) hair. The only way my five kids will drive a Corvette of their own is for me to leave them mine. They have other priorities that I cannot argue with.

Union/NatBridge 12-22-2012 01:47 PM

I got a good deal on a two-year old 1965 convertible from a fellow university student when I was 22. I had saved enough to pay for both the car and the college tuition by working part time jobs since I was 14. The car cost me $2500 and a year's tuition about the same. Over the years there have been a few more degrees and five more Corvettes. Each time, the price of every Corvette was about the cost of a year's tuition at a good private university (minus books and board). Each time, the Corvette would be about double the cost of a nice Chevy sedan. So some things haven't changed that much. I was taught early to earn, save, and do some good with what I made. The Corvettes just were a bit of frosting on my cake, never causing sacrifices from family or friends.

Boomer111 12-22-2012 01:59 PM

I know from my 28 yr. old sons view point the corvette lacks refinement he desires. He likes the styling though.

He is looking into purchasing a 2011 or 2012 Lexus IS-F.

Presently owns a Lexus G35.

The C6 just does not offer enough passenger room, even though he is single still.

On the flip side I prefer the less tech approach.

bladex10 12-22-2012 02:03 PM

Corvettes are very affordable in today's world. It probably kills some corvette owners that some kids could afford to buy a c5 at 18 working a minimum wage job. C6's are cheap now aswell. I have some friends that have cars/trucks worth double of what you could get a 05-07 C6 for. There are 2 worlds and types of corvette owners, there are those who keep them bone stock and never drive them and those who spend more in mods that equal out to the cost of the actual car. The "old man" corvette stereotype mainly goes out to those bone stock owners. I seen an old guy driving a slammed black z06 with a beefy cam the other day. Bet he doesnt get thrown into that stereotype.

ATC399 12-22-2012 02:06 PM

And the problem is?....Mine is bone stock and driven...

ls1121 12-22-2012 02:12 PM

Simple...to own a Corvette you must have EXTRA money to spend on a toy, A Lot of Extra money. MOST people....I'm not talking about the little rich kid that goes to Ivy League and daddy buys them a Vette, ya know the type born into money. I'm talking about MOST people the ones like me that come into this world with nothing and because we live in this Great Country of chance that if you work hard and do the right thing you can prosper. We spend most of our money taking care of our families most of our lives. Then you reach a point in your life where you feel comfortable and can AFFORD to spend some of that Extra money on yourself...and when you turn around and look in the mirror there is this old guy looking back at you lol. The Fact is these cars cost a lot of money that the average Joe just does not have.......New ZR1 $120,000 where I live I can buy a house for that. So all of you little rich kids do not be offended by this post....consider yourself MORE Fortunate than 99% of the people on the face of the earth. Yes I am an old man of 57 and yes I had camaros all of my life because I had More Important things to do with my money than to by a Corvette. BUT......I have one now and am loving every moment of it. to your original question.....YES the Corvette is an Old Mans car. lmao.

ls1121 12-22-2012 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by bladex10 (Post 1582633753)
Corvettes are very affordable in today's world. It probably kills some corvette owners that some kids could afford to buy a c5 at 18 working a minimum wage job. C6's are cheap now aswell. I have some friends that have cars/trucks worth double of what you could get a 05-07 C6 for. There are 2 worlds and types of corvette owners, there are those who keep them bone stock and never drive them and those who spend more in mods that equal out to the cost of the actual car. The "old man" corvette stereotype mainly goes out to those bone stock owners. I seen an old guy driving a slammed black z06 with a beefy cam the other day. Bet he doesnt get thrown into that stereotype.

If you really feel this way you must have never been Hungry. :cheers:

bladex10 12-22-2012 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by ls1121 (Post 1582633816)
Simple...to own a Corvette you must have EXTRA money to spend on a toy, A Lot of Extra money. MOST people....I'm not talking about the little rich kid that goes to Ivy League and daddy buys them a Vette, ya know the type born into money. I'm talking about MOST people the ones like me that come into this world with nothing and because we live in this Great Country of chance that if you work hard and do the right thing you can prosper. We spend most of our money taking care of our families most of our lives. Then you reach a point in your life where you feel comfortable and can AFFORD to spend some of that Extra money on yourself...and when you turn around and look in the mirror there is this old guy looking back at you lol. The Fact is these cars cost a lot of money that the average Joe just does not have.......New ZR1 $120,000 where I live I can buy a house for that. So all of you little rich kids do not be offended by this post....consider yourself MORE Fortunate than 99% of the people on the face of the earth. Yes I am an old man of 57 and yes I had camaros all of my life because I had More Important things to do with my money than to by a Corvette. BUT......I have one now and am loving every moment of it. to your original question.....YES the Corvette is an Old Mans car. lmao.

Yeah ZR1's are $120k but 05-07 C6's can be had for 20k right now. Which is nothing to an average person.

DreamChaser 07 12-22-2012 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by bladex10 (Post 1582633935)
Yeah ZR1's are $120k but 05-07 C6's can be had for 20k right now. Which is nothing to an average person.

Agreed! As for rich kids comment. Not sure there's any one here, at least not what I've read. Everyone's situation is different and if your in your 60's now that means your 20's were back in the 70's. Times have changed, and lifestyles have changed. I know my generation is nothing like my parents generation so you can't compare the two!

NevadaVette 12-22-2012 02:54 PM

One reason that people think that Corvette buyers are old fogies is because Corvette buyers think that Camaro and Mustang buyers are kids. The average age of new buyers of both Camaros and Mustangs is 51. People age 51 are kids only in the eyes of old fogies and Corvette forum members.

The new Ford Mustang coming out soon is dumping the Mustang retro look of the current model in the hope that it will have more appeal to young people. That doesn't mean that Ford dumped the retro look in the new model entirely - some old fogies think that Ford went for the Probe retro look in the new model.

JoesC5 12-22-2012 03:06 PM

When I was in high school, a friend got a new 1957 Corvette for his 16th birthday. Of course, his father was a doctor and his mother was a very successfull county & western song writer.

at7000ft 12-22-2012 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by p4snow (Post 1582631150)
I also waited until I could pay cash which took me until 62. I look at people my age and think they look old! No gray hair yet for me.

Ditto, age 62 and would have felt guilty putting myself in debt to buy such an "impractical" car. Paid cash for my 08. However I do have some grey hair.

1 of 220 12-22-2012 03:17 PM

For a long time it appeared to me that Buick was the official old timer's brand with Crown Vic in second place and Mercury a distant third.

I assumed that the Buick salesman wouldn't even talk to you unless you could produce an AARP card. :D

I'm not sure what those buyers are choosing with the revisions GM has made plus the Crown Vic is dead along with Mercury.

It seemed to me that the difference between old guys driving Corvettes vs. old guys driving Buicks was that the Corvette guys had a permanent smile pasted on whereas the Buick drivers tended more toward the grumpy old curmudgeon look.

KBow_Photo 12-22-2012 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by NevadaVette (Post 1582634009)
One reason that people think that Corvette buyers are old fogies is because Corvette buyers think that Camaro and Mustang buyers are kids. The average age of new buyers of both Camaros and Mustangs is 51. People age 51 are kids only in the eyes of old fogies and Corvette forum members.

The new Ford Mustang coming out soon is dumping the Mustang retro look of the current model in the hope that it will have more appeal to young people. That doesn't mean that Ford dumped the retro look in the new model entirely - some old fogies think that Ford went for the Probe retro look in the new model.

Its because Ford and GM for whatever reason have a insanely hard time making cars that kids can get excited about. GM thought they were "cool" with the Chevy sonic, fail, its a car no one would buy because they are so enthusiastic about it. Ford shouldve brought over the Focus RS, kids loved the idea but they kept it in Europe (morons). Seriously both GM and Ford need

a car similar to the Subaru/Scion Twins (and not those two ugly POS GM has out as concept cars)
a hot hatch (Ford Focus ST is a good start) GM could bring over the ASTRA GTC
GM to offer a Cruze SS based on the WTCC car
a smaller high performance sedan
Ford is doing a better job than GM

Supersonic 427 12-22-2012 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by 1 of 220 (Post 1582634101)
For a long time it appeared to me that Buick was the official old timer's brand with Crown Vic in second place and Mercury a distant third.

I assumed that the Buick salesman wouldn't even talk to you unless you could produce an AARP card. :D

I'm not sure what those buyers are choosing with the revisions GM has made plus the Crown Vic is dead along with Mercury.

It seemed to me that the difference between old guys driving Corvettes vs. old guys driving Buicks was that the Corvette guys had a permanent smile pasted on whereas the Buick drivers tended more toward the grumpy old curmudgeon look.

Buick most definetly was and maybe still is, the geriatric division of GM. I remember when I bought my '87 GN, the salesman commented how refreshing it was for him to see a young person buying a Buick. He told me that I would fully understand what he meant when I visit the service department. He was right, it was like visiting a nursing home!

p4snow 12-22-2012 03:57 PM

Got an offer in the mail last year for a $100 gift card just for test driving a Buick. The salesmen at the dealership were all old guys, I mean really old. Guess that helps them relate to potential customers. In all fairness, back in the days when the kids were young we had a Buick estate wagon, a tank, but what a smooth ride.

JoesC5 12-22-2012 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by Supersonic GS (Post 1582634282)
Buick most definetly was and maybe still is, the geriatric division of GM. I remember when I bought my '87 GN, the salesman commented how refreshing it was for him to see a young person buying a Buick. He told me that I would fully understand what he meant when I visit the service department. He was right, it was like visiting a nursing home!

Bought my first new Buick when I was 39. Guess I aged prematurely, except I had a 1969 Corvette at the same time, and a 1965 El Camino with a factory 327 4 speed.

Now at 70, I don't have a Buick, but I have a 56, a 64 and a 09 Z06 Corvettes.

Had a Cadillac(and that really made me feel old) once, but I now drive a supercharged Mercedes as a DD.

KBow_Photo 12-22-2012 04:23 PM

and another GM thing, stick with a name for a car

lets see in the pat 10 years there have been a Cavalier, Cobalt and a Cruze, screw all those dumb names and just call it a Nova.
Call the Traverse a trailblazer etc.

went from STS and DTS to XTS

Buick had/had the Lucerne, Le Sabre, Lacrosse, regal, verano, do they think renaming a piece of crap will somehow change the crap?

JadeRaven 12-22-2012 04:30 PM

Sure there are some younger folks in C5 and older C6 vettes, and of course there are the outlier 25 year olds with new C6's, but the overwhelming majority of the newer Corvettes I see are driven by old guys, and sometimes their wives.

A base vette stickers for $50k which is cheap compared to a ZR1 but is a ton of money compared to a mustang or the japanese competition. Really 50k is a ton of money in general for the average american any way you cut it. And then once you get into cars with any real options or the up-models you're in a $65k car easily.

rcallen484 12-22-2012 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by oldstyleGS (Post 1582634440)
and another GM thing, stick with a name for a car

lets see in the pat 10 years there have been a Cavalier, Cobalt and a Cruze, screw all those dumb names and just call it a Nova.
Call the Traverse a trailblazer etc.

went from STS and DTS to XTS

Buick had/had the Lucerne, Le Sabre, Lacrosse, regal, verano, do they think renaming a piece of crap will somehow change the crap?

You forgot to say, "Dadgummit" and/or, "Those young punks" :lol: :lol: :lol:

KBow_Photo 12-22-2012 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by rcallen484 (Post 1582634524)
You forgot to say, "Dadgummit" and/or, "Those young punks" :lol: :lol: :lol:

im 31 :P

XPLOSYV 12-22-2012 04:48 PM

its based on what folks see i guess...around here, if i see 20 Corvettes in one day, 17 of them are being driven by senior citizens

my main reason for switching from years of Mustangs was just to say I bought a Corvette before 40 (34 when i got the C5)...i went to my first Corvette club meeting this month and they were all 55+!!!!! i was the youngest by 20 years!!!!!

so oh well...even in my little world...it is an OLD MAN's CAR

KBow_Photo 12-22-2012 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by XPLOSYV (Post 1582634576)
its based on what folks see i guess...around here, if i see 20 Corvettes in one day, 17 of them are being driven by senior citizens

my main reason for switching from years of Mustangs was just to say I bought a Corvette before 40 (34 when i got the C5)...i went to my first Corvette club meeting this month and they were all 55+!!!!! i was the youngest by 20 years!!!!!

so oh well...even in my little world...it is an OLD MAN's CAR

Corvette clubs are like that, they are nearly all older. just stating fact. I have belonged to two and ended up stopped going because so many were, lets have a meet for breakfast, etc, no lets rent a track and see what these cars can do.

R&L's C6 12-22-2012 05:10 PM

Our little "unofficial" Corvette club ranges in age from 35 to 55 years of age. Like others have said, for most of us, these cars are still expensive toys so it just stands to reason that we buy them later in life.

Better late than never...:D

Larry/car 12-22-2012 05:16 PM

I thought old age was around 90. So if the average age of people buying Corvettes is 61, what makes the Corvette an old mans car?

Torchblue 12-22-2012 05:38 PM

I got my first corvette at 34. Unfortunately we don't stay young forever. I am now 33 years older and have my 6th corvette. just because we get older it doesn't mean that our love for corvettes should change.

KBow_Photo 12-22-2012 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by Larry/car (Post 1582634733)
I thought old age was around 90. So if the average age of people buying Corvettes is 61, what makes the Corvette an old mans car?

same as the buick brand as a whole

Mikado463 12-22-2012 05:44 PM

Whats your take on this old man car stuff?

I'm an young man (59)..........and I own a Corvette....any questions ??

my dad sold his last Vette a few years back, he was 78 at the time.

KBow_Photo 12-22-2012 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by BLD.70DRIVERMPG-RET. (Post 1582634897)
I have a 26 year old wanting me to do her K9 over the the hood or deck of the vert. How old or young do you think that makes me feel at 63? The car is paid for and so is she .Haha....

that she is waiting till you die in hopes of getting money or just having sex with you so you buy her crap?

Tom45 12-22-2012 06:37 PM

A lot of the "Old Man's Car" comes from a change in values from younger generations.

The older Corvette owner grew up in the 60s and 70s when cars were a big part of our life. We got our driver's license on the day we turned 16, we started out with an old car that we seemed to work on all the time (and they were fairly easy to work on), we learned how to a drive stick shift, we tried to make the cars go as fast as we could, and we loved performance cars. Cars were in our blood. We are also old enough to understand that a Corvette provides one of the best values for the money for a good looking performance/sports car.

From what I have seen, many of the younger kids (not all) today are in no hurry to get a driver's license, they spend much of their time with electronic gadgets, they are convinced that foreign cars are better and their mechanical knowledge is limited to checking the oil. Cars are not a big deal with them. Some of them do like performance cars, but they will still buy a foreign car because that is what is cool within their group of friends. Their ideas will probably change with age.

In the mean time, I will still drive a vette so I can enjoy driving.

Supersonic 427 12-22-2012 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by Tom45 (Post 1582635188)
A lot of the "Old Man's Car" comes from a change in values from younger generations.

The older Corvette owner grew up in the 60s and 70s when cars were a big part of our life. We got our driver's license on the day we turned 16, we started out with an old car that we seemed to work on all the time (and they were fairly easy to work on), we learned how to a drive stick shift, we tried to make the cars go as fast as we could, and we loved performance cars. Cars were in our blood. We are also old enough to understand that a Corvette provides one of the best values for the money for a good looking performance/sports car.

From what I have seen, many of the younger kids (not all) today are in no hurry to get a driver's license, they spend much of their time with electronic gadgets, they are convinced that foreign cars are better and their mechanical knowledge is limited to checking the oil. Cars are not a big deal with them. Some of them do like performance cars, but they will still buy a foreign car because that is what is cool within their group of friends. Their ideas will probably change with age.

In the mean time, I will still drive a vette so I can enjoy driving.

Very well said...and true. The longest wait of my life was waiting to turn 16 to get my license and I was there on my birthday to get my permit. The 1960's was a time of performance cars and most every red blooded American male wanted one!
My son who is 30 could care less about cars. He didn't get his license till 18 and drives the same Jeep that he has had since 19.

MTsVette 12-22-2012 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by Larry/car (Post 1582634733)

I'm 52...not OLD...:toetap: lol

MT

SK360 12-22-2012 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by oldstyleGS (Post 1582634604)
Corvette clubs are like that, they are nearly all older. just stating fact. I have belonged to two and ended up stopped going because so many were, lets have a meet for breakfast, etc, no lets rent a track and see what these cars can do.

That's why I don't associate with corvette guys at cruises, they look at me like an alien when I told them I was at the drag strip the night before.

I hang out with friends I met through having the GTO still, most are in different cars these days but we still hit the drag strip and the "street" a lot.

DreamChaser 07 12-22-2012 07:15 PM

It's easy to blame the generation of kids, but what about the car manufactures? With technology the way it is now you Can't do 80 percent of the things you used to be able to do back in the 60's-80s. Also look at laws now against speeding and street racing. Maybe the reason the youth is not as hands on as they used to is because of other factors besides laziness and other things people might say about them. You would change your oil do your breaks and then throw some bolt ons and it was great. Almost comparative to Lego. Now you need specialty tools, computer scanners and most the time it's a little electronic device you can barely get to that may be the issue. I do agree that my generation isn't as hands on but I know within my group of friends we still very much love our Cars and do what we can

3LZZ06 12-22-2012 07:17 PM

-Where'd this come from?
-Do you agree?

Got my 1st one at 19 years old, I wasn't very old then...

Still a Corvette owner 30 years later, damn time fly's!!! I guess I'm "older" now. :D

Don't really know what people think about me or my Vette, but I do know I'm pretty freakin' happy!!! :cheers:

05dsom 12-22-2012 07:34 PM

then you'd only be a half-millionaire..........

SK360 12-22-2012 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by DreamChaser 07 (Post 1582635374)
It's easy to blame the generation of kids, but what about the car manufactures? With technology the way it is now you Can't do 80 percent of the things you used to be able to do back in the 60's-80s. Also look at laws now against speeding and street racing. Maybe the reason the youth is not as hands on as they used to is because of other factors besides laziness and other things people might say about them. You would change your oil do your breaks and then throw some bolt ons and it was great. Almost comparative to Lego. Now you need specialty tools, computer scanners and most the time it's a little electronic device you can barely get to that may be the issue. I do agree that my generation isn't as hands on but I know within my group of friends we still very much love our Cars and do what we can

Just as easy to throw boltons on and get it tuned somewhere or tune it yourself. Lots of kids modify their cars, imports or domestics.

c54u 12-22-2012 07:53 PM

Let's see......

Corvette is an old man's car........ok.....in my experience usually said out of jealousy.
I have owned a Corvette in my 20's and 40's and still do.

Buick is an old man's car.............ok.....in my experience usually said to make fun of you
I have owned a Buick in my 30's and 40's and still do.

People just say these things because others say them and they are shallow.

Now, let's focus on what they drive :D

jeffs42885 12-22-2012 07:56 PM

I might have already chimed in on this but..

Up until August 2012 I had a crammed/stalled 09 G8 GT that did 440/430 at the wheels. I have always wanted a corvette..but just never found one locally that was within my budget and had what I wanted.

I remember when I was like 11-12 years old when the C5 was unveiled and my dad took me to all the dealerships to look at them and I have loved them since. One day in march we were watching the Barrett Jackson auction or medium..I forget.. And my dad said to me "when are you going to get rid of that piece of junk G8 and buy a vette" ..keep in mind I had a lot of issues with my G8.

About 15 minutes later, my father suffered a massive heart attack and that was the last thing he ever said to me. I found my 2008 C6 for 35k with with 3500 miles on it. As soon as I saw the listing I decided I want it. Without even ever driving a c6! We went down in my daily..because I had to part out my G8..and they gave me 22500 on a trade and the vette for 32500. I demodded most of the visual stuff on the g8 and had the vette for the weekend.

I am 27 by the way- and I love the wtf look I get from fellow vette owners, younger car guys, and just people in general..expecting me to be. 40-50something with salt and pepper hair!

Just thought I would share

Thesisinbold 12-22-2012 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by bladex10 (Post 1582633935)

Nothing to an average person? What?

Okay, besides the inaccuracy of that statement, I believe the fact that most people my age (30) need more seats and room.

bladex10 12-22-2012 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by Thesisinbold (Post 1582635691)
Nothing to an average person? What?

Okay, besides the inaccuracy of that statement, I believe the fact that most people my age (30) need more seats and room.

Go look up the prices on all those Toyotas, Hondas, Sedan Chevys and Fords that you see everyone driving on the road then come back to me. 18-20k is nothing to an average working person.

1 of 220 12-22-2012 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by LS3 Monster

05dsom:

then you'd only be a half-millionaire..........
or ... you could just get married...

narfdanarf 12-22-2012 08:30 PM

I'm 28 now, I've had various vettes for a few years now and in general I only see older generation driving them. I think this STIGMATA of the corvette being an old person car hurts its sales and resale value quite a bit. I agree that pretty much anyone can afford a corvette especially a c5 nowadays, I've had many cars that cost more than my c6 including most SUV's and even a neon. They may not be practical for everyone, but they are affordable as compared to most other vehicles nowadays.

VET4LES 12-22-2012 08:36 PM

How old is old? I guess I'll know when I get there. :cheers:

Jackb0524 12-22-2012 08:46 PM

I chimed in before, but reading some posts I think it's still surprising when people see a "younger" person driving a corvette. It's simple, majority of corvette owners are elderly men and most happen to have gray hair. (This is not a shot)

So over the years of visually seeing and hearing it from others, it has grown to an old man car OR rich mans car. Eventually, corvettes will take the place of the camaros for teens once they realize how cheap these cars are. But in the mean time, enjoy the surprise looks!! :rolf:

Never-Enough 12-22-2012 09:11 PM

When I took my interior apart for carbon work, I found a sealed Cialis. Whichever previous owner needed that is not doing the stereotype any favors :rofl:

Never-Enough 12-22-2012 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by narfdanarf (Post 1582635863)
I'm 28 now, I've had various vettes for a few years now and in general I only see older generation driving them. I think this STIGMATA of the corvette being an old person car hurts its sales and resale value quite a bit. I agree that pretty much anyone can afford a corvette especially a c5 nowadays, I've had many cars that cost more than my c6 including most SUV's and even a neon. They may not be practical for everyone, but they are affordable as compared to most other vehicles nowadays.

It's not hurting NEW Corvette sales. Most young people cannot afford a new Corvette. I know I couldn't when I was young.

What Neon cost more than a Corvette?