CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C6 Corvette General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion-74/)
-   -   Corvette "the old mans car" (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion/3186630-corvette-the-old-mans-car.html)

Boba Fett 12-22-2012 02:51 AM

Corvette "the old mans car"

-Where'd this come from?
-How long has it been this way?
-How often do you hear this? (if you do)
-Do you agree?

Like many here, I graduated to a vette after owning trans ams, Camaros/mustangs and actually owning my first (formula) at 16. Ive been a vette fan since then as well as my other little car buddies. Never once did we even think of the vette as an old mans car, but rather the ultimate. Got my 1st vette @ 32. I get compliments on my vette all the time, including from young guys/gals. Whats your take on this old man car stuff?

Torchsport 12-22-2012 03:24 AM

It's been a topic of discussion often here.
Mainly, it's a car most can't buy until later in life, as it's not a practical family vehicle.

I waited until I saved enough cash. Took me until I was 46.

Z06LUST 12-22-2012 03:30 AM

Originally Posted by bobafett (Post 1582631001)
-Where'd this come from?
-How long has it been this way?
-How often do you hear this? (if you do)
-Do you agree?

With all respect- are you serious?
Try since about 1962....
Vettes have been top of the market in terms of price...takes income, takes age....prior to the new internet world of 20 something millionaires..very few (except for a well of daddy) could afford a Vette before 30-40..and if traditionally married...figure kids gone and 50.

The Stereoype really took off in the 70;s...middle age doctors, dentists and lawyers-gold chains and all.

Hear it often-it is the midlife crisis car of Americna culture--wish, pray, hope, argue all you want but the stereotype is not going away. And that fact is driving GM marketing folks nuts as the boomer population ages...thus GM's attempt to turn the Vette into a young man's car but the economics of it are still against the proposition.

To quote Jay Leno: "Two middle age guys with Corvettes, you never see that"...yuck yuck yuck...

LS3 Monster 12-22-2012 03:56 AM

Man if i was a millionaire i would buy a lamborghini, not a corvette.

Cyber Greg 12-22-2012 04:01 AM

Who're you calling old?

TerryL 12-22-2012 04:19 AM

Originally Posted by LS3 Monster (Post 1582631086)

I'd love to have an old Countach! With the wing! :thumbs:

sar10 12-22-2012 04:45 AM

On a recent auction show, one of the commentators stated the latest statistics show the average age of Corvette purchasers is 61. Now the debate can begin as to whether 61 is "old". :D

KnightRid3r 12-22-2012 05:07 AM

The beauty of this car is that it suits all ages but most people choose not to spend that type of money on a car until the more experienced years. The car itself is suited to please all ages though which makes it great. Just like everyone here I get compliments from young kids to older people (Men and women) I am only 27 and i think most people think I am driving around my father's vehicle. I for one think it is great having a car that various age groups stop me and want to chat about. I didn't get nearly as many compliments or spur of the moment conversations when I had my 2000 SS. I always arrive early just for the time to chit chat with a fellow car enthusiast.

shaimerej 12-22-2012 05:23 AM

I don't think it's an older person's car. It's just that most people who own one are older.

p4snow 12-22-2012 05:26 AM

I also waited until I could pay cash which took me until 62. I look at people my age and think they look old! No gray hair yet for me.

AviBen 12-22-2012 07:00 AM

So what if it's an old man's car? I AM (statistically) an old man, and I hang around with other old men and old ladies, and I like it! Young men don't envy us much -- except for the vette.

USAF 12-22-2012 07:06 AM

Wait!!!!
Gold Chains???

I know I have some left from the 80's.

Now I havta find them???

Crap

USAF

LFZ 12-22-2012 07:10 AM

Old man car for sure....I only like vettes, because my old man liked vettes so I grew up in this learned environment. But you do see more and more "younger" 25-35 owning vettes and mostly due to graduating from a camaro or needing something to pull more tail.

Chicks dig the Vettes....only because it makes you look like you have money.

roscoe118 12-22-2012 07:23 AM

...absolutely! But it's the only car I've ever owned that makes me feel 20 years younger every time I get in it.
I won't speak to how long it takes me to get in, though...:D

m.whitmell 12-22-2012 07:30 AM

Originally Posted by LS3 Monster (Post 1582631086)

You would have to be worth millions to own one of these....I've seen many with new clutch replacements as low as 6000 miles at $5-6000 a pop.......:willy:

obxchartercaptain 12-22-2012 07:38 AM

Like I have said many times..... I could care less what labels people put on what I do. I've got one and they DON'T....They will NEVER know what it feels like to drive one....:auto:

N2TU 12-22-2012 07:43 AM

Originally Posted by obxchartercaptain (Post 1582631372)
Like I have said many times..... I could care less what labels people put on what I do. I've got one and they DON'T....They will NEVER know what it feels like to drive one....:auto:

Well said....!!

:iagree:

not08crmanymore 12-22-2012 08:00 AM

Wait!!!!
Gold Chains???

I know I have some left from the 80's.

Now I havta find them???

Crap

USA
I just bought 3 new gold chains!:D Does this mean the VETTE is the new CAMARO IROC??:toetap:

MTsVette 12-22-2012 08:01 AM

I was 49 when I bought my first Vette, a 1999 Coupe. I "waited" until my 3 kids had their own cars before I bought one. Also, most families, including me, found a Vette not practical, being a third vehicle. That said, I finally did achieve my dreams, although it took me longer than some 25-35's I've seen on the forum. That's ok, I don't consider myself "old" at 52 now and I'm happy with my 2006 Coupe. I believe anyone can afford a Corvette, albet not a new one, if they chose one that's 3-6 years old. My wife and I make good $, but new Corvette's are out of my comfort zone in terms of what I "want" to pay for a car.

All that said, age is just a number. When I'm driving my 400 HP rocket, I instantly turn 20 again. Nothing like it...

MT --Merry Christmas to all my Corvette friends, any age!!:cheers:

heli-vette 12-22-2012 08:41 AM

like the Ad says " Camaro the car for people who can't afford corvettes " . You can still justify it as a family car . Not so much for the vette ....... aka old man car .