CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C7 General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion-142/)
-   -   Interior road noise (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion/3185189-interior-road-noise.html)

Jinx 12-26-2012 06:24 PM

The charts quit at 70mph. That's what matters most to me -- cruising speed. But yes, 3dB is more significant. There's a case that those Michelins are quieter than those Goodyears. Alas it's the Pilot Sport versus the F1 GS. The PS2 that I think most of us C6 guys run is a different tread pattern. The non-runflat PS2 is 0-2dB lower than the non-runflat F1 GS. The PS2 might be quieter in runflats too, but notice we're now multiple variables away from a C6 runflat scenario. Enough to matter? *shrug* My C6 was too damn loud with the F1 SCs and it's too damn loud with the Michelins. These kids are just too damn loud. Sure can corner, though.

Always dangerous to assume scientific comparisons or even controlled conditions from nonspecific forum comments. Nevermind the vagaries of perception and mindset. I'd take seriously the words of someone specifically addressing a noise issue swapping new stock tires for new PS2 runflats and finding a noticeable improvement. Second-hand reports, much less so. Unqualified comments about switching to X and finding it quieter frankly aren't worth much. Opinions on tires are rife with new-to-used comparisons; it's the default condition.

SCM_Crash 12-26-2012 10:11 PM

I installed headers and an x-pipe on my C5Z. Left the stock mufflers...

The car is louder than I'd like now. LOL It's not bad noise, just not good noise. While I'm cruising the car is noticeably louder. I'm going to have to figure out some sound insulation like the "Mad Vette" one... except it will actually arrive when I order it.

In the mean time, I really do hope the C7 has less cabin noise. I really hate yelling or not being able to hear my passenger while we talk.

Michael A 12-27-2012 11:03 PM

Originally Posted by Mike Mercury (Post 1582655902)
but for the mfgr; it is not the added weight that's the problem... it's the man-hours needed to install the stuff.

After being brand loyal to Goodyear for 20+ years; I recently swore "never again".

GY now makes some of the worse sports car tires.

I was loyal to Goodyear even longer than that. Then they sold me a set of "junk" tires that weren't round, or even close to round. That was my last set. I couldn't stand the "shovel it out the door" quality. I also drive a C6 Vert with Goodyears, and the tires were terrible. They made so much noise around a hard turn, I thought I was driving a Lincoln Town Car.

Good riddance to Goodyear.

Michael

SCM_Crash 12-27-2012 11:25 PM

Originally Posted by Michael A (Post 1582672357)
I was loyal to Goodyear even longer than that. Then they sold me a set of "junk" tires that weren't round, or even close to round. That was my last set. I couldn't stand the "shovel it out the door" quality. I also drive a C6 Vert with Goodyears, and the tires were terrible. They made so much noise around a hard turn, I thought I was driving a Lincoln Town Car.

Good riddance to Goodyear.

Michael

It would be nice if the C7 was optioned with some proxies from Toyo. I love my Toyo tires. I have T1Rs and they're far superior to the GY junk that came stock on my car.

Would be awesome if R888's were offered as a performance tire.

goatts 12-30-2012 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by JustinStrife (Post 1582661370)
You are full of crap. Assuming that none of us even know the difference between new and used tires. Runflats and non-runflats. I have had standard c5 gy tires, supercars, kumho's, michelin pilot sports, michelin ps2's, nitto nt05's, nitto 555r2's, and mickey thompson et streets on my three c5's.

All of them, even the drag radial et streets, were quieter than both good years. What different tires have you run? What is your world experience? How about talking to guys in the general sections who have bought their cars new, and swapped to competing tires immedietely and noticing the difference?

I'm full of crap? Think of what your saying. You're comparing different tires on 3 different cars and you remember how loud a tire was 5 years ago on a different car? You sir are delusional.

As far as world experience, I bought my first vette when you were 2 years old.

JustinStrife 12-30-2012 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by goatts (Post 1582692096)
I'm full of crap? Think of what your saying. You're comparing different tires on 3 different cars and you remember how loud a tire was 5 years ago on a different car? You sir are delusional.

As far as world experience, I bought my first vette when you were 2 years old.

They were all C5s. Two were hatchs, one was an FRC. And I've run a lot of different tires through these cars over the last 7 years. Including trips in the snow while up in Utah visiting friends. They've seen all kinds of weather, and all kinds of driving conditions, including drag strip use.

And if you're going to go by that benchmark about buying corvettes when, I got into Corvettes because of my dad. He's got 5 currently, and has owned 16 since he started in 1969. None of his Corvettes run Goodyears either.

Compared to the competition, the Goodyears are garbage.

goatts 12-30-2012 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by JustinStrife (Post 1582692189)
Compared to the competition, the Goodyears are garbage.

Not when it comes to performance. I got my best 1/4 mile time on a worn out set of GY's. Also, I did time trials at Roebling a few years ago and the guy next to me had the track record for a stock Z and he runs GY runflats so there's a little world experience for you.

But as I said before I don't run GY's. They wear out too fast and they are too expensive.

You are certainly entitled to your opinion however ignorant it may be. When you have some actual noise data that supports your view I'm ready to listen.

Nitrous Oxide 12-30-2012 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by HarryWild (Post 1582656194)
There a differences between crappy no sound proof sound and nice engine sound like from a Ferrari 590 with tons of sound insulation.

The engine was all I could hear in the Jaguars I've driven. It feels like a saloon. I like to hear the tires too. Not because I have no musical taste, but because I like to get an idea of what's going on down there at 160 mph.

I've never driven a Ferrari, maybe they have it right (to my taste).

stevebz06 12-30-2012 04:04 PM

I hope that GM hasn't listened to opinions like these in designing the C7. I remember reading that something like 40 pounds of sound insullation went into the hatch area alone in the C6.

If they do make serenity a high priority, then I would hope for a hard-core version that let you opt out of all the stuff that slows the car down. Why not buy a Lincoln if this is so important?

Jinx 12-30-2012 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by stevebz06 (Post 1582692688)
I hope that GM hasn't listened to opinions like these in designing the C7. I remember reading that something like 40 pounds of sound insullation went into the hatch area alone in the C6.

If they do make serenity a high priority, then I would hope for a hard-core version that let you opt out of all the stuff that slows the car down. Why not buy a Lincoln if this is so important?

First, we're asking for less noise, not a hearse. Stick your Lincoln straw man where the sun don't shine. You might also notice I've asked for additional sound insulation to be optional.

Second, noise (and heat) cause fatigue. Noise over long periods of time also causes permanent hearing damage.

Third, the C5 Z06 debuted with thinner windows, less sound insulation, and no luxury options. That didn't last long. Like it or not, the hardcores are the minority. Still, there's a good chance that C7 will continue the upscaling of Corvette and offer a hardcore track version stripped of nonessential mass. Of course, like other manufacturers, GM will probably wise up and charge more for it....

.Jinx

SCM_Crash 12-30-2012 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by goatts (Post 1582692489)
Not when it comes to performance. I got my best 1/4 mile time on a worn out set of GY's. Also, I did time trials at Roebling a few years ago and the guy next to me had the track record for a stock Z and he runs GY runflats so there's a little world experience for you.

But as I said before I don't run GY's. They wear out too fast and they are too expensive.

You are certainly entitled to your opinion however ignorant it may be. When you have some actual noise data that supports your view I'm ready to listen.

:iagree:

I'd rather have a set of R888s which are better performance tires for less than the GYs. They wear out in about 3/4s the time of the GYs but cost half as much.

Or a set of T1Rs like I currently have which cost less than half as much as the GYs but last a really long time and still have similar performance to the GYs.

Mike Mercury 01-02-2013 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by JustinStrife (Post 1582661370)
You are full of crap.

All of them, even the drag radial et streets, were quieter than both good years.

http://www.tim-yvonne.com/gif/bell1.gif

When Yvonne bought her like-new 2003 AE vert with 4k miles... I had about 2500 miles on my non-Goodyear RF replacements (on my 2002 C5).

I was in position to do a direct comparison between new factory Goodyears (wifes C5) and newer aftermarket runflats (my C5). The Goodyears were terrible noisy. Loud roar; and a "plunk" noise when running over anything; even a leaf.

I don't know what happened to the company (as at one time I would swear by them). Never again will I ever trust Goodyear. :nonod:

JustinStrife 01-02-2013 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by Mike Mercury (Post 1582716877)
http://www.tim-yvonne.com/gif/bell1.gif

When Yvonne bought her like-new 2003 AE vert with 4k miles... I had about 2500 miles on my non-Goodyear RF replacements (on my 2002 C5).

I was in position to do a direct comparison between new factory Goodyears (wifes C5) and newer aftermarket runflats (my C5). The Goodyears were terrible noisy. Loud roar; and a "plunk" noise when running over anything; even a leaf.

I don't know what happened to the company (as at one time I would swear by them). Never again will I ever trust Goodyear. :nonod:

Careful Mike. You'll bring out the Goodyear Nutswingers.

Most(not saying all, but most), defenders of Goodyears, haven't even tried the competition on their cars. I know of several in my own car group... :crazy2:

ANTIVNOM 01-03-2013 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by Mike Mercury (Post 1582655902)

GY now makes some of the worse sports car tires.

GY makes THE worst tires PERIOD. I've had dozens of sets of Sh*tyears on trucks, luxury cars, you name it. Every single set has blown. They religiously get noisier, they are horrible about following ruts and groves and good luck getting more than 25K out of a set. My F150 tore through it's first set of Sh*tyears. I got 90K out of the next set of Michelins, and they were dead quiet till the day I took them off.

I'm still toying with the idea of another Shelby before they change the body style and if I pull the trigger the OEM crapyears are going straight into the garbage.