CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C6 Corvette General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion-74/)
-   -   GS Tire Wear GM Laugh of the Week-- it's Drivers Fault (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion/3182085-gs-tire-wear-gm-laugh-of-the-week-its-drivers-fault.html)

DebRedZR1 12-13-2012 01:51 PM

GS Tire Wear GM Laugh of the Week-- it's Drivers Fault

Update: Had front tires and alignment redone at aprox 7500 miles -GM said back tires were not worn enough to replace at that time.
2K miles later as par for the course the Run Craps on the rear are done.
GM Field Rep says now it's the way people drive these cars that is causing the tire wear:rofl::toetap::crazy: and they won't replace them. There is not a tire wear issue with them. I could barely contain my laughter!

Torchsport 12-13-2012 02:31 PM

GM is sticking with their story. "The Emperor has new clothes" :crazy2:

DebRedZR1 12-13-2012 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by Torchsport (Post 1582559345)
GM is sticking with their story. "The Emperor has new clothes" :crazy2:

And of course they refused to give me said Rep's name or have him call me. :smash::smash::smash: Like I give up that easy and it's just not so well known that these tires are crap :yesnod:

JLMounce 12-13-2012 02:56 PM

Do you have the Supercar EMT's or the G2's

Unless you're driving that car like a grandma, 9500-10,000 miles is all you can expect from the supercarEMT's.

Remember, GM didn't design those tires, Goodyear did.

DebRedZR1 12-13-2012 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by JLMounce (Post 1582559552)
Do you have the Supercar EMT's or the G2's

Unless you're driving that car like a grandma, 9500-10,000 miles is all you can expect from the supercarEMT's.

Remember, GM didn't design those tires, Goodyear did.

I guess that is what you are supposed to do with a Vette. :rofl:Supercars. It's entertaining he is saying they wore out because of the driving style not that the tires only last that long. If I would have behaved myself they would have lasted much longer :lol::lol::lol: Bad driver...................:hide:

not08crmanymore 12-13-2012 03:33 PM

It would seem to me that you should contact GOODYEAR and complain about the early wear issues since they made the tire and therefore,they warranty it.

FloydSummerOf68 12-13-2012 03:35 PM

There isn't a tire wear issue with them...performance tires wear rather quickly.

It's not from driving style though.

I have the same tires on my '12 SRT8 Charger and will be replacing them at 18-20k, but I was able to rotate.

DebRedZR1 12-13-2012 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by not08crmanymore (Post 1582559767)
It would seem to me that you should contact GOODYEAR and complain about the early wear issues since they made the tire and therefore,they warranty it.

:yesnod: But the mighty GM Rep said it was my driving:skep::yawn::confused:

Originally Posted by FloydSummerOf68 (Post 1582559785)
There isn't a tire wear issue with them...performance tires wear rather quickly.

It's not from driving style though.

I have the same tires on my '12 SRT8 Charger and will be replacing them at 18-20k, but I was able to rotate.

That's what gets me. First they were not worn enough, now it's how I drive. Maybe I should just tow the car so the tires don't wear. :smash:

mirage2991 12-13-2012 04:22 PM

the goodyears are garbage, I drove my Z06 like a grandma and I barely got 14k miles out of them...0 tracking of any kind, just driving to from work and couple road trips....Potenzas later on were barely 25% used after 12k miles....Goodyear is a joke

JLMounce 12-13-2012 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by DebRedZR1 (Post 1582559595)
I guess that is what you are supposed to do with a Vette. :rofl:Supercars. It's entertaining he is saying they wore out because of the driving style not that the tires only last that long. If I would have behaved myself they would have lasted much longer :lol::lol::lol: Bad driver...................:hide:

It seems most commonly to be a problem associated with the EMT version of the Supercar tires.

Overall those tires don't get very good reviews, but the non EMT's tend to last longer. Just take a look at the reviews on Tire Rack as a starting point.

But, it is true that performance tires will wear faster in general. Add to that the fact that most corvettes are driven "as intended," well, you get crappy mileage from them.

There are some decent alternatives though. If you don't track the car, the Invo's provide good every day driving characteristics with long life and a good look. The sidewall is too soft for track duty though, they don't tend to perform well in that situation.

PARANORMAL 12-13-2012 04:35 PM

You probably never rotated your tires.......that's the real reason:rofl:

JoesC5 12-13-2012 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by mirage2991 (Post 1582560122)
the goodyears are garbage, I drove my Z06 like a grandma and I barely got 14k miles out of them...0 tracking of any kind, just driving to from work and couple road trips....Potenzas later on were barely 25% used after 12k miles....Goodyear is a joke

Bridgestone run flats are the way to go on the Z06/GS. I expect to get 30,000+ miles out of mine.

JoesC5 12-13-2012 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by JLMounce (Post 1582560223)
It seems most commonly to be a problem associated with the EMT version of the Supercar tires.

Overall those tires don't get very good reviews, but the non EMT's tend to last longer. Just take a look at the reviews on Tire Rack as a starting point.

But, it is true that performance tires will wear faster in general. Add to that the fact that most corvettes are driven "as intended," well, you get crappy mileage from them.

There are some decent alternatives though. If you don't track the car, the Invo's provide good every day driving characteristics with long life and a good look. The sidewall is too soft for track duty though, they don't tend to perform well in that situation.

Can't get a non runflat version of the Goodyear Supercar tire in Z06/GS sizes, can you?

toxin440 12-13-2012 04:53 PM

I only got 9000ish miles out of my Z06 stock runcraps. (one track event)

Replaced with a set of nitto invos and got about another 12K out of the rears (and that's with two track events).

Keep in mind my front invo's are still "okay" - the rears are the only thing getting replaced here in January.

z51vett 12-13-2012 04:57 PM

Got 14800 out of mine still had some wear left taking trip to Fla needed traction in rain this mileage was after street alignment at 500 miles.
Now run mich runflats.
z51vett:hide:

DebRedZR1 12-13-2012 05:07 PM

A real joke for mr GM rep not to just say that instead of it's the driving style :rofl:

Originally Posted by JLMounce (Post 1582560223)

Thanks for the info :thumbs:

Originally Posted by jacquesc6 (Post 1582560242)
You probably never rotated your tires.......that's the real reason:rofl:

OMG that must be it! Mystery solved! I am seriously going to say that when I catch up with said person:yesnod::woohoo:

Originally Posted by JoesC5 (Post 1582560254)
Bridgestone run flats are the way to go on the Z06/GS. I expect to get 30,000+ miles out of mine.

Joe, I have heard good things about the Bridgestones:smash:

Mrc100 12-13-2012 05:22 PM

Seems like a combination of factors for me. Performance tires do wear faster, alignment on the performance car wears faster (i think) and i certainly do drive my vette more aggressive than my truck. I have 14k on the originals and they will pass inspection. However, i,m moving on to RE11s in the spring for my traction.

MKenM 12-13-2012 05:52 PM

It may be very true that you don't get good mileage out of GY's but there isn't a tire that is worth its salt that gets good mileage that is made out of a soft high speed compound. I know there will be plenty of naysayers but the facts are the facts. Great tires with great traction just don't last that long.

When you look at GY F1 EMT's they have a wear rating of 220 vs the Potenza with a rating of 280. If 100 is the base then 220 means that the tire should last a little more than twice as long. Hence the 280 rating should last even longer. Driving habits excluded.

It still comes down to your preference. Getting 10 to 15 K miles on a set of tires is not too bad. IMO

Mrc100 12-13-2012 06:14 PM

I just checked tread warranty on tirerack for OEM GY tires.

There is no warranty for treadwear so that pretty much somes it up.

Flh Den 12-13-2012 06:15 PM

Deb I just changed my original Gy wranglers, on my 07 gmc van with almost 60000 miles on them and they still had 3 to 4/32 on them. It can be done, but what is the tradeoff. If they don't pro rate a new set at least let them know you will never buy GY's again and there are 80000 members on the Corvette forum and I will tell everyone of them how crappy they are. A new set must be over 2 grand on a ZR1, so that means 2000 every year for new tires. WOW!!!!