CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C7 General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion-142/)
-   -   A little more info on GM's new engine line up for the trucks, EcoTec3 (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion/3182077-a-little-more-info-on-gms-new-engine-line-up-for-the-trucks-ecotec3.html)

LS1LT1 12-13-2012 01:20 PM

A little more info on GM's new engine line up for the trucks, EcoTec3

Some of the new Corvette's engine technology will spill over into the trucks (and likely Camaro and the new SS 4 door as well of course) as we'd all already assumed.
A little info on the new 5.3L V8 and 4.3L V6:

http://www.lsxtv.com/news/gen-v-fami...ncluding-a-v6/

BlueOx 12-13-2012 01:28 PM

Wow, am I really counting THREE belts?
http://speednik.com/files/2012/12/20...coTec3-050.jpg
http://cdn.lsxtv.com/image/2012/12/2...coTec3-001.jpg

LS1LT1 12-13-2012 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by BlueOx (Post 1582558968)
Wow, am I really counting THREE belts?

Yes it does appear that way. But that's not necessarily a bad thing either, going back to a 'multi belt' set up can both free up some horsepower (parasitic losses) and possibly improve reliability (with the current serpentine belt set up, if it breaks we're basically stranded).

LS1LT1 12-13-2012 01:35 PM

And this isn't directly 'Corvette related' of course but here are the brand new trucks that these awesome engines will be going into. :yesnod:
The new line up looks VERY nice in my opinion. :cool:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?.../photos_stream

BlueOx 12-13-2012 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by LS1LT1 (Post 1582558991)
Yes it does appear that way. But that's not necessarily a bad thing either, going back to a 'multi belt' set up can both free up some horsepower (parasitic losses) and possibly improve reliability (with the current serpentine belt set up, if it breaks we're basically stranded).

I'm not saying it is a bad thing necessarily but it does look like the two lower ones would be a real be-atch to change. I do see your point about losses. Just surprised to see the LT1 with one belt and these all having 3.

LS1LT1 12-13-2012 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by BlueOx (Post 1582559014)
I'm not saying it is a bad thing necessarily but it does look like the two lower ones would be a real be-atch to change. I do see your point about losses. Just surprised to see the LT1 with one belt and these all having 3.

True, might be a little easier to change them being in a larger truck frame/platform and all (more room in the engine bay and accessibility from underneath?) but I agree it is also a little odd that it is different from the LT1.

oldvtr 12-13-2012 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by BlueOx (Post 1582558968)

Hmmm? Looks like one for the AC compressor and one for the oil pump and then one for everything else. With the switch to electric steering assist, no need for a power steering pump. Looks like the oil pump belt runs behind the balancer on the crank shaft on a smaller diameter pulley. Suppose that allowed a smaller pulley on the oil pump while still providing the optimum pump speed?

BlueOx 12-13-2012 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by LS1LT1 (Post 1582559047)
True, might be a little easier to change them being in a larger truck frame/platform and all (more room in the engine bay and accessibility from underneath?) but I agree it is also a little odd that it is different from the LT1.

It's really easy to change a single belt vs trying to change that small one way in the back. You'd have to take the other two off to get to it wouldn't you?

Larry/car 12-13-2012 01:52 PM

I wouldn't worry to much, my truck belt is to be replaced at 160,000 miles. Years and Years before most Corvettes reach that mark.

LS1LT1 12-13-2012 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by BlueOx (Post 1582559089)
It's really easy to change a single belt vs trying to change that small one way in the back. You'd have to take the other two off to get to it wouldn't you?

Yes true...but even now one would have to take the main serpentine belt off just to change the small A/C belt as well (C5/C6).

BuckyThreadkiller 12-13-2012 03:06 PM

I put this in another thread, but it fits here better - the dash images from the new trucks show a Tach that only goes to 6K. Doesn't say if that the V6 or the V8s but that still seems low.

Kappa 12-13-2012 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by BuckyThreadkiller (Post 1582559599)
I put this in another thread, but it fits here better - the dash images from the new trucks show a Tach that only goes to 6K. Doesn't say if that the V6 or the V8s but that still seems low.

Sounds about right to me. Ford's 6.2 and the Hemi engines are limited to about the same. These trucks aren't make to make much power above 5000-5500rpm. Need low end torque more than anything.

BlueOx 12-13-2012 10:35 PM

Originally Posted by Kappa (Post 1582559706)
Sounds about right to me. Ford's 6.2 and the Hemi engines are limited to about the same. These trucks aren't make to make much power above 5000-5500rpm. Need low end torque more than anything.

Funny we don't hear about that very often but my 5.3 'rado has plenty of power without revving very high.

McGirk94LT1 12-14-2012 01:06 AM

I'm a little confused, although obviously final numbers are needed first. Dodge and Ford both put their new hi po v6 in their trucks, yet Chevy won't?(3.6 in camaro and others) I feel like as long as they mpg was decent, either adding the 3.6 or dropping a v6 altogether and trimming the price on the 5.3 would have been a much better idea. The number of v8 to v6 buyers is probably significant, and most would take the v8 if it was the same or just 1 mpg less then dodge/Ford's v6's. The 4.3 is well past it's expiration date honestly. Now in 2013 it's in the same boat as Ford's 5.4 was. Guess we'll see if this total revamp was actually worth it. I'd wager not a whole lot.

NSC5 12-14-2012 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by McGirk94LT1 (Post 1582564336)
I'm a little confused, although obviously final numbers are needed first. Dodge and Ford both put their new hi po v6 in their trucks, yet Chevy won't?(3.6 in camaro and others) I feel like as long as they mpg was decent, either adding the 3.6 or dropping a v6 altogether and trimming the price on the 5.3 would have been a much better idea. The number of v8 to v6 buyers is probably significant, and most would take the v8 if it was the same or just 1 mpg less then dodge/Ford's v6's. The 4.3 is well past it's expiration date honestly. Now in 2013 it's in the same boat as Ford's 5.4 was. Guess we'll see if this total revamp was actually worth it. I'd wager not a whole lot.

The 4.3 is getting the same technology treatment as the two new V-8 engines so its only real relationship to the old iron block 4.3 is its displacement. From that point of view I think that is a mistake because many are going to jump to the same conclusion you did-that it is the same old 4.3 derived from the vintage 5.7 SBC.

I have a 3.6 in my CTS and it is a fun engine but probably not as well suited for truck type tasks. A 3.6 may not function well moving a moderately heavy load up a sustained grade and the basic cooling design for the block was probably biased more to reduced weight and fast warm up time instead of for sufficient cooling under sustained heavy load. I expect the 4.3 would have sufficient capacity to tow a smaller trailer and certainly the power to handle rated bed payload under typical conditions.

I don't need the complete payload and towing capacity of my current GMC 2500HD with Duramax diesel. I will be looking closely at the 1500 specs now that the crew cab will be available with a 6.5' bed. I will miss the torque characteristics of the diesel but with the price spread between gas and diesel coupled and the greatly increased emissions complexity for the newer models compared to my 2006 I think my next pickup will be gas powered.

Jinx 12-14-2012 11:58 AM

Chrysler probably doesn't sell enough V6 pickups to make engineering a competitive V6 out of their pushrod V8 worthwhile. It makes sense that they'd put everything into one V6 they can use in cars and trucks.

Ford is leveraging commonality with their EcoBoost, and a Coyote V6 probably doesn't save them anything.

GM's approach makes sense for them. They do enough volume that they can justify lopping two cylinders off the new pushrod V8. The resulting engine is probably lighter and cheaper to build, with a more truck-appropriate torque curve, and more service commonality with the V8 which will make commercial customers happy.

It pretty much cements that GM is not in any hurry to follow Ford's EcoBoost lead on trucks. As if there was any doubt :)

I didn't pore through the details, does the new V6 get cylinder deactivation?

.Jinx

BlueOx 12-14-2012 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by Jinx (Post 1582566939)
Chrysler probably doesn't sell enough V6 pickups to make engineering a competitive V6 out of their pushrod V8 worthwhile. It makes sense that they'd put everything into one V6 they can use in cars and trucks.

Ford is leveraging commonality with their EcoBoost, and a Coyote V6 probably doesn't save them anything.

GM's approach makes sense for them. They do enough volume that they can justify lopping two cylinders off the new pushrod V8. The resulting engine is probably lighter and cheaper to build, with a more truck-appropriate torque curve, and more service commonality with the V8 which will make commercial customers happy.

It pretty much cements that GM is not in any hurry to follow Ford's EcoBoost lead on trucks. As if there was any doubt :)

.Jinx

Yes, all of them get the same stuff...

All three engines feature similar technologies found on the 6.2-liter Corvette engine that was introduced in October: direct injection, cylinder deactivation and continuously variable valve timing. While the Corvette engine is designed for performance to enhance the driving experience of a sports car, the truck engines will be tuned for towing and durability.

5.3L V8 and 4.3L V6 EcoTec3
All three have aluminum blocks and boast an 11:1 compression ratio, except the 6.2 that has 11.5:1. All three have a 92mm stroke (3.62 inches) crankshaft with cylinder bores of 3.92 inches for the V6 and 3.78 and 4.06 inches for the 5.3L and 6.2L, respectively. The cylinder head design appears identical to the Corvette engine, based on excerpts from the press release: switched intake and exhaust valve positions, revised spark-plug location, pistons with unique topography, large rectangular intake ports with a twist to enhance mixture motion and the “advanced combustion system.”

JoesC5 12-14-2012 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by Jinx (Post 1582566939)

.Jinx

It appears that the V6 is the LT1 design, just missing two cylinders. DI, AFM (6 to 4) and VVT.

chaase 12-14-2012 12:10 PM

A belt driven oil pump just seems wrong.

JoesC5 12-14-2012 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by chaase (Post 1582567016)
A belt driven oil pump just seems wrong.

I agree. That engine does not have a dry sump and we know from the details released on the LT1, including the dry sump option, the oil pump(s) is(are) driven by the crankshaft, just like on the C6 engines.

The info I have read on the 2014 Silverado, it , like the C7, will have electric assisted steering vs the current hydraulic assisted(that does require a pump like shown in the above photos).

Now, that begs the question...what is that pump for? Maybe transmission cooling pump for the manual?

Jinx 12-14-2012 12:25 PM

I wonder if the 6.2L could get better city mileage than the 5.3L, since its AFM could be more aggressive. GM did say that the Corvette got 6.2L for that reason...

FRANKENSTEIN4x42000 12-14-2012 12:40 PM

Way to go GM you screwed that up really good, you are now only 100hp short of the Ford base engine, WHOA!!! and you gained 5hp on the 5.3!!!! and better fuel management? great and I am glad you didn't change the truck too much it was dated 5 years ago now we can look at it for another 5 at least. And NO floor shifter? really, is it that hard to do?

For the record I am a hard core GM guy We own nothing but GM's but you guys didn't raise the bar one bit, not at all, your competition is laughing at you right now.
have a nice day and go back in your bubble

BlueOx 12-14-2012 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by FRANKENSTEIN4x42000 (Post 1582567301)
Way to go GM you screwed that up really good, you are now only 100hp short of the Ford base engine, WHOA!!! and you gained 5hp on the 5.3!!!! and better fuel management? great and I am glad you didn't change the truck too much it was dated 5 years ago now we can look at it for another 5 at least. And NO floor shifter? really, is it that hard to do?

For the record I am a hard core GM guy We own nothing but GM's but you guys didn't raise the bar one bit, not at all, your competition is laughing at you right now.

Where did you get that? They didn't even publish any numbers.

Truck customers will soon be able to choose between 6.2-liter and 5.3-liter V8 engines as well as a 4.3-liter V6 version. Horsepower and torque numbers were not released, but GM officials promised the engines are “specifically designed for the way customers use trucks in the real world.”

BeaZt 12-14-2012 01:13 PM

(From the Tech site)
"What I can tell you is this.... the 4.3liter V6 engine will out perform a stock LS1 in every area possible. Or to say it another way it will drag the STOCK LS1 BALLS against the Asphalt. That should give you some type of gaming changing performance we are looking at going forward."

Bigg Gunz

NSC5 12-14-2012 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by JoesC5 (Post 1582567132)

Now, that begs the question...what is that pump for? Maybe transmission cooling pump for the manual?

From GM's media website, "All engines feature an engine-driven mechanical vacuum pump to enhance braking performance"

I imagine this is the mystery pump.

Since they are moving to electric type power steering that removes the need for a PS pump to provide for the hydraboost braking used on some models.

CPhelps 12-14-2012 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by McGirk94LT1 (Post 1582564336)

The 3.6L is pretty high strung in the cars. It makes good peak power, but you have to rev to get to it. Not really ideal for a truck motor, IMO.

Why would you assume a "total revamp" is not worth it? The 4.3L is a completely new engine, (different bore and stroke, crankshaft, camshaft, heads, pistons, intake manifold, direct injection, VVT, 11.1:1 compression vs. 9.2:1, etc. ) it's not the 4.3 that has been available forever, the only thing it shares is displacement. The current 4.3L was based off a Gen I SBC, the new one will be based off the Gen V stuff. I for one am happy to see GM stick with relatively large displacements. It probably won't make significantly more peak HP than GM's 3.6L, but I expect it to have a very beefy power curve with the extra displacement and considering what we see with the LT1.

EDIT: Actually, I looked up the LFX's powercurve, and it is better than I thought, so maybe it wouldn't be too bad in a truck. Still think the larger displacement 4.3L tuned for low end torque will suit a truck better though.

Originally Posted by FRANKENSTEIN4x42000 (Post 1582567301)

Could you please post a link to the power numbers you are referencing? None of the press release info I've read cites power numbers. The base Ford F-150 has 302hp and 278 lb-ft tq from a 3.7L V6. Are you saying that the all new 4.3L only makes 202hp, basically nothing gained from the Gen I based 4.3L Vortec? Very interested to see where you're getting power figure numbers from. I would expect ~330hp/tq from an all new 4.3L based on the Gen V Small blocks. I'm also curious on what the 5.3L makes, since it was rumored to make over 350HP, and what you are saying suggests it only is making ~320?

Sierra Speed Shop 12-14-2012 03:27 PM

I just want to see them release something similar to the Raptor.

I'm surprised they went with an intake manifold similar to the LT1. I wonder what the main differences are. It used to be a dramatic difference.

BeaZt 12-14-2012 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by Sierra Speed Shop (Post 1582568834)
I just want to see them release something similar to the Raptor.

X10,000:iagree:

McGirk94LT1 12-14-2012 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by 1320vetteran (Post 1582567653)
(From the Tech site)
"What I can tell you is this.... the 4.3liter V6 engine will out perform a stock LS1 in every area possible. Or to say it another way it will drag the STOCK LS1 BALLS against the Asphalt. That should give you some type of gaming changing performance we are looking at going forward."

Bigg Gunz

Isn't this the same guy who said the lt1 would cost $15k? If any of you guys believe him I have a bridge, pyramid, and this big tower thing to sell ya. Your responsibility to pick up from France though...

A 4.3 pushrod v6 is gonna skull drag a 5.7v8 in every possible way. So you guys believe believe this engine is the equivalent of an ls6, but possibly more torque? Mediocre(for direct injection) compression and down a liter and a half... sure, that's believable. Even if the new lt1 managed to come out with 495hp, a 60hp gain over the ls3, you think this new 4.3 is going to be able to even MATCH the ls1 with ls6 intake? That would be gains of 160hp and 115lb ft. And matching it's torque curve, sure it will...

Yeah this guy is officially playing some of you. Be realistic people.

FRANKENSTEIN4x42000 12-14-2012 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by CPhelps (Post 1582568754)
The 3.6L is pretty high strung in the cars. It makes good peak power, but you have to rev to get to it. Not really ideal for a truck motor, IMO.

Why would you assume a "total revamp" is not worth it? The 4.3L is a completely new engine, it's not the 4.3 that has been available forever, the only thing it shares is displacement. The current 4.3L was based off a Gen I SBC, the new one will be based off the Gen V stuff. I for one am happy to see increased displacement. It probably won't make significantly more peak HP than GM's 3.6L, but I expect it to have a very beefy power curve with the extra displacement and considering what we see with the LT1.

EDIT: Actually, I looked up the LFX's powercurve, and it is better than I thought, so maybe it wouldn't be too bad in a truck. Still think the larger displacement 4.3L tuned for low end torque will suit a truck better though.

Could you please post a link to the power numbers you are referencing? None of the press release info I've read cites power numbers. The base Ford F-150 has 302hp and 278 lb-ft tq from a 3.7L V6. Are you saying that the all new 4.3L only makes 202hp, basically nothing gained from the Gen I based 4.3L Vortec? Very interested to see where you're getting power figure numbers from. I would expect ~330hp/tq from an all new 4.3L based on the Gen V Small blocks. I'm also curious on what the 5.3L makes, since it was rumored to make over 350HP, and what you are saying suggests it only is making ~320?

The hp rating on the "new" 4.3 is 260 so yes i did make a mistake on the hp i thaught the Ford base engine was the eco boost at 360hp. the new 5.3 is 330 with DI and DOD or whatever you want to call it, I still by my post it's a joke. And if you think about it that's all they can do the mighty Corvette LT1 is 450 and it's a 6.2 so there is no way they will have more hp than that.

BlueOx 12-14-2012 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by FRANKENSTEIN4x42000 (Post 1582568955)
The hp rating on the "new" 4.3 is 260 so yes i did make a mistake on the hp i thaught the Ford base engine was the eco boost at 360hp. the new 5.3 is 330 with DI and DOD or whatever you want to call it, I still by my post it's a joke. And if you think about it that's all they can do the mighty Corvette LT1 is 450 and it's a 6.2 so there is no way they will have more hp than that.

Where are you getting these new Chevy engine HP numbers??

CPhelps 12-14-2012 04:20 PM

But where are you getting these power figures from? As far as I'm aware they haven't been released.

McGirk94LT1 12-14-2012 04:43 PM

He's not. He's trolling like a pro. I think making the 5.3 the base engine would have provided a better effect cost/development wise, while providing a better/cheaper entry engine then Ford/Dodge's v6. The 3.6 has plenty of umph, and a new manifold could have sealed the deal for truck duty since Ford/Dodge's v6's are not a truck spec version.

I absolutely believe if the 5.3 was only 1 mpg highway less then the 4.3, had they not invested money in the 4.3 thereby making the 5.3 cheaper, 99% of truck buyers would be happier. Tow anything at all with the other companies v6's and then the 5.3 and I can guarantee all would take the v8. The 6's just need to rev which annoys most truck owners.

But this guy believing 450hp vette, and 330hp 5.3 is just talking out his back side.

McGirk94LT1 12-14-2012 04:47 PM

Btw, Ford's ecoboost devours gas in the trucks. Just check any of their forums talking about it. It's fair to say 80% don't get what the mpg ratings are and about 50% weren't even in the ballpark. Towing something? Don't torture yourself by looking at the gas gauge. It's a great idea in theory, this mini diesel, but the turbo's just need to much gas.

FRANKENSTEIN4x42000 12-14-2012 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by McGirk94LT1 (Post 1582569508)
He's not. He's trolling like a pro. I think making the 5.3 the base engine would have provided a better effect cost/development wise, while providing a better/cheaper entry engine then Ford/Dodge's v6. The 3.6 has plenty of umph, and a new manifold could have sealed the deal for truck duty since Ford/Dodge's v6's are not a truck spec version.

I absolutely believe if the 5.3 was only 1 mpg highway less then the 4.3, had they not invested money in the 4.3 thereby making the 5.3 cheaper, 99% of truck buyers would be happier. Tow anything at all with the other companies v6's and then the 5.3 and I can guarantee all would take the v8. The 6's just need to rev which annoys most truck owners.

But this guy believing 450hp vette, and 330hp 5.3 is just talking out his back side.

Trolling because you don't agree with what i said? think about this for a minute, isn't the C7 450hp? you think GM will have a 400 hp 5.3? just apologize when you see it on the web if that's what it takes.
on the other hand i agree with the rest of your post I just wish ppl wouldn't be so quick judging. I don't appreciate you tone you don't know anything about me.

BlueOx 12-14-2012 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by FRANKENSTEIN4x42000 (Post 1582569601)
Trolling because you don't agree with what i said? think about this for a minute, isn't the C7 450hp? you think GM will have a 400 hp 5.3? just apologize when you see it on the web if that's what it takes.
on the other hand i agree with the rest of your post I just wish ppl wouldn't be so quick judging. I don't appreciate you tone you don't know anything about me.

Soooo...link or it's bs.:yesnod:

Jinx 12-14-2012 05:17 PM

Doing the displacement math on the LT1, a 5.3L version would be worth 385hp. And we know the LT1's 450hp number is conservative, or at least the motor's very conservatively tuned (just look at that torque curve). I don't buy that the truck variant will give up another 55hp. Besides, the competitive target is 360hp, and 30hp is too much to give up to the competition. The 330hp number just isn't credible.

But hey, cite a credible source and shut us up.

As for skipping the V6 altogether, I doubt fleet buyers would be happy. Don't forget that mpg isn't linear to operating cost; and 21mpg vs 20mpg is significant. As for just using a version of the 3.6L DOHC, cost and power curve and service commonality all favor the 4.3L V6 variant of the truck V8.

.Jinx

CPhelps 12-14-2012 05:20 PM

Which is why Ox and I have asked you to provide the source of this info. Not calling you a troll but would like to know how you know this information that as far as I know has not been released.

McGirk94LT1 12-14-2012 05:25 PM

No, it's not that I disagree with your opinion, you're simply touting your opinion as fact.

The FACT is the lt1's preliminary/estimated(exact words used) are 450/450. Regardless of what some think, release an all few corvette with this totally revamped engine and give it only +14hp and +22tq and sales we be pathetic. Realistically I'm estimating 485. I think 495 is a stretch, but 450 is unacceptable to most, especially since the chance of it weighing less then a z06 is still only a possibility. The 6.4 hemi with variable cam timing makes 470/470. THAT is a realistic target. Down .2L but a ground up design and direct injection/variable cam timing. The hemi has always been close to the lsX motors, size for size.

I've thought that the 5.3 having 310hp was low for years now, but I'm sure its torque curve is plenty impressive for that size engine. 345hp is probably realistic, but about 375lb ft and it's new power curves are what matter far more then peak hp in a truck.

I think the 4.3 is flat out down with 2 other options, but I'm sure the new 5.3 and 6.2 will be great.

No mention of a 6.0 or new displacement though or did I miss that?

BlueOx 12-14-2012 05:30 PM

OK, time's up...I officially call BS.:bs
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-5w8E82uPhx...0/bulloney.jpg

CPhelps 12-14-2012 11:33 PM

Why is new in quotes? It has a different block, camshaft, crankshaft, heads, pistons, bore, stroke, direct injection system, and intake manifold, how is it not new?

Jinx 12-15-2012 03:33 AM

Maybe the plastic in the intake is recycled from old Vortecs :)

JoesC5 12-15-2012 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by NSC5 (Post 1582567919)
From GM's media website, "All engines feature an engine-driven mechanical vacuum pump to enhance braking performance"

I imagine this is the mystery pump.

Since they are moving to electric type power steering that removes the need for a PS pump to provide for the hydraboost braking used on some models.

I bet you're correct on it being a vacuum pump. The photo's of the Vette versions don't show the pump.

LS1LT1 12-15-2012 11:42 PM

isn't the C7 450hp?

I don't know, is it? :confused2:
I suppose it could be only 450 but it might even be 470 or even anywhere in between.
The final figures haven't been released yet.

obzidian 12-16-2012 12:35 AM

Haters will do what they know best.... :)