CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C5 General (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-general-103/)
-   -   Got hit by a drunk driver. (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-general/3181800-got-hit-by-a-drunk-driver.html)

ERDOC 12-13-2012 09:14 AM

It's amazing you walked away from it as well as you did. 50 mph head ons normally put you in ICU or worse. I see a lot of accident patients and wearing seat belts and air bags save lives. Cherish every day!

maxx2200 12-13-2012 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by 79inSD (Post 1582554319)
Here is the pic from the scene Hit a 06 Maxima

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/pict...ctureid=128774

I am still stuck inside in the pic

:blueangel: Thank God you're here writing this to us. From the looks of the car, I wouldn't have guess anyone could have survivied. You are blessed my friend.

waddisme 12-13-2012 09:33 AM

Glad you are OK dude. At least you got a solid weekend in at Daytona before losing the car. My wife is not happy that I race around at 180mph, but I tell her I am in more danger going to and from track days than being on the track. Good luck with the resolution.

MSG C5 12-13-2012 09:35 AM

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/pict...ctureid=128774

As horrific as this picture is, I'm impressed with the integrity of the cabin frame and how it did not compromise allowing you to walk away from the accident. If you were both driving 50 MPH, that was a 100 MPH impact! :eek:

ZeroToSixty 12-13-2012 09:52 AM

Wow,......that was a close one.

I hope Mr. Drunk is well heeled,........get a good lawyer.

Also, you may be able to buy the "totaled" car for a low low price.

Many of the parts are quite valuable (especially motor and transmission)

PhilsFRC 12-13-2012 09:58 AM

Couple of Suggestions

I was T-boned by a Ford diesel dually in my Avalanche in June, and have retained a "good" attorney, not an ambulance chaser. My suggestions-you need to find a good trial lawyer to represent you, not one of the clowns that advertise "One call that's all". You need to document EVERYTHING, including starting a daily diary about your injuries, pain, doctor's appointments, recovery and so on. Write it ALL down-everything. You've already started gathering your receipts for the physical damages, but the extent of the medical damages (temporary and permanent) to you, will determine the amount of your (eventual) settlement. As a personal friend of mine who is an attorney (maritime) told me about my issue "don't be a stoic"-meaning if it hurts go back to the doctor. Get physical therapy, consultation etc.. Note that in addition to suing the other party to the limits of their liability, and perhaps getting a judgement against whatever net worth they have, you can also sue your own automobile policy under the uninsured motorist clause. Again get a GOOD attorney.

All that said, you're lucky-that was a bad one. Best wishes on your speedy recovery and Godspeed.

ssrallyred 12-13-2012 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by ZeroToSixty (Post 1582557047)
Wow,......that was a close one.

I hope Mr. Drunk is well heeled,........get a good lawyer.

Although it doesnt matter really but in this case I think I read it was a Miss drunk. And an early one to by looking at the time of day :eek:

leet13 12-13-2012 10:03 AM

I am so sorry. Seeing pics like that make me sick knowing it was a drunk driver. I am glad you were not killed or seriously injured. You can always replace your car, remember that...

knewblewkorvette 12-13-2012 10:07 AM

So glad you are okay. :thumbs:

jrose7004 12-13-2012 10:07 AM

Glad you weren't hurt any worse than you were.

RetiredSFC 97 12-13-2012 10:15 AM

Wow, what a mess. Glad to hear you're OK.

RetiredSFC 97 12-13-2012 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by PhilsFRC (Post 1582557097)
I was T-boned by a Ford diesel dually in my Avalanche in June, and have retained a "good" attorney, not an ambulance chaser. My suggestions-you need to find a good trial lawyer to represent you, not one of the clowns that advertise "One call that's all". You need to document EVERYTHING, including starting a daily diary about your injuries, pain, doctor's appointments, recovery and so on. Write it ALL down-everything. You've already started gathering your receipts for the physical damages, but the extent of the medical damages (temporary and permanent) to you, will determine the amount of your (eventual) settlement. As a personal friend of mine who is an attorney (maritime) told me about my issue "don't be a stoic"-meaning if it hurts go back to the doctor. Get physical therapy, consultation etc.. Note that in addition to suing the other party to the limits of their liability, and perhaps getting a judgement against whatever net worth they have, you can also sue your own automobile policy under the uninsured motorist clause. Again get a GOOD attorney.

All that said, you're lucky-that was a bad one. Best wishes on your speedy recovery and Godspeed.

Why is it always about lawyers?:crazy:

OP should be gald he's alive and if he's OK then move on and let it go.

This is the most screwed up advice I ever saw on CF. I will not return to this thread and I hope it doesn't turn into a sue the world opinion piece.

C5Wolfe 12-13-2012 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by James2002z06 (Post 1582554226)
All burn in hell lost my sister in 95 .... There is no excuse .....
Glad your alive bro

AGREE 100%! I lost my son to a drunk "AZZHOLE" driver in 1985.
I'm glad your O.K. my friend. I hope they Jail this potential murderer.:toetap:

PhilsFRC 12-13-2012 10:21 AM

Why do you say that? If the accident results in some sort of permanent medical issues for him, he should just "suck it up?" I really don't understand your reasoning-no offense. OUT.

c5chines 12-13-2012 10:48 AM

Go to your doc and document some injuries and pain.That will become very handy in the upcoming battles with insurance companies.

79inSD 12-13-2012 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by 17inac4 (Post 1582556644)
Your guardian angel was definitely flying with you that day. So glad to see you are okay

Sure was, you know in hindsight. I was going to stop for some food but skipped it. Had to take a leek but decided to make it home first. Guess everything happens for a reason. If I would have done one of those who know what would have happened. As it turns out one of my co workers was 2 or 3 cars behind me with her kids in the car...

79inSD 12-13-2012 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by RetiredSFC 97 (Post 1582557302)
Why is it always about lawyers?:crazy:

OP should be gald he's alive and if he's OK then move on and let it go.

This is the most screwed up advice I ever saw on CF. I will not return to this thread and I hope it doesn't turn into a sue the world opinion piece.

Well I am not looking to get rich from this, but I do not want to end up with a 15k settlement with what was put into my car.

If it was a regular accident with a driver not impaired I might agree with what you said. But She made the decision to get in the car and drive.

MSG C5 12-13-2012 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by 79inSD (Post 1582558247)
Sure was, you know in hindsight. I was going to stop for some food but skipped it. Had to take a leek but decided to make it home first. Guess everything happens for a reason. If I would have done one of those who know what would have happened. As it turns out one of my co workers was 2 or 3 cars behind me with her kids in the car...

The second guessing never helps. We know a friend who was driving eastbound on a divided, 3-lane highway. A drunk driver was heading westbound on the wrong side of the road. :eek: She swerved to avoid him and he hit the car behind her killing a father and his son. Her initial guilt was overwhelming, however everyone including the arriving police officer and paramedic squad tried to console her and told her she was NOT at fault.

03whitecoupe 12-13-2012 12:31 PM

Wow:eek: That looks terrible. Glad you are ok:thumbs: I'm just amazed you walked away.

bladex10 12-13-2012 01:46 PM

Earlier this year i had an extreme close call with a suicidal guy in a van going 100 mph on the wrong side of the freeway at 2am at night. I was in the far left lane and about a half a mile up the road, it collided with a smaller tow truck and literally ripped the right half of the truck off and the van just had the windshield hanging with the whole front of the vehicle completely disintegrated.. Had that tow truck hadn't been in that lane a half a mile up, who knows what it wouldve done to my little corolla. The tow truck driver lived and the guy in the van died so it all turned out well in the end.

Thats awesome you were able to walk away from that. Hope you get a nice settlement from it and the drunk driver learns a valuable lesson through all this.