CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-zr1-and-z06-136/)
-   -   [Z06] talked with a tech at ferrari (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-zr1-and-z06/3181091-talked-with-a-tech-at-ferrari.html)

rustybridges05 12-11-2012 11:59 PM

Ive raced many exotic cars around here...mostly in my old built 99ta but ive actually never lost to one??? Maybe those guys cant drive?? Only raced a 911s and an aston martin vanquish in the z as far as exotics go but they didnt fare so well either. Its hard to find a decent run on the street these days :( Guess everyone is too concerned with keeping up their pretentiousness to race a lowly z06...

383vett 12-12-2012 12:15 AM

Originally Posted by mistermog (Post 1582544723)
nope... unless you were in the upper RPM it felt like a turd. Remind me of a honda.

granted it was fantastic otherwise but no power down low and that transmission jerked like a mother

Who cares how a Ferrari drives. It could have a lawnmower engine and still would be cool. I owned one back in the 70s and still remember the sound of the 4 cam 308 right behind my head. :thumbs:

rustybridges05 12-12-2012 01:10 AM

Originally Posted by 383vett (Post 1582546719)
Who cares how a Ferrari drives. It could have a lawnmower engine and still would be cool. I owned one back in the 70s and still remember the sound of the 4 cam 308 right behind my head. :thumbs:

considering the price tag, i definitely would care lol

4wheels 12-12-2012 01:25 AM

Most of them drive pretty damn nice although maintenance and repair bills can be scary. A guy in one of the clubs I run with has over 100k miles on his 430 including a ton of track use and it ran great.

Carnut1 12-12-2012 07:27 AM

After over 250 cars including multiple Ferrari's, Maserati's, and Lamborghini's I would not trade my 07 LMB Z06 for a 458 or any current so called exotic. As far as I'm concerned the last good Ferrari was my GEAR BOX 430 coupe. I HATE Flappy paddle cars (and I've owned BMW's Ferrari's Lamborghini's and Maserati's with them) no matter whose name is on them. But I'm old and I hate traction control, and AWD (oh do I hate them) sports cars as well. After I laugghed too many times when people who have Ferrari's talked about theirs cars having soul I think I am probably not well liked on the Ferrari chat boards anymore. It is all about drinking the kool aid and falling for the hype that is why 90% of the owners of exotics bought them, I was once amoung them. Me I'd rather have a car that does not draw attention (I live 5 miles from Algar Ferrari and a Z06 barely gets noticed there are 50 Ferrari owners and 200 Porsche owners withing a 3 mile radius of my house) and I can park wherever I like. Oh yeah my novel Mr. Breeze does have a 458 in it see what our maker does to that car! Happy Holidays!

vertC6 12-12-2012 08:32 AM

The 308's had sodium filled valves and yes they failed too.

GMuffley 12-12-2012 08:34 AM

Originally Posted by mistermog (Post 1582544576)
the one i drove was horrible... jerky trans and not fast at all.... :)

Was the engine on?

VetteVinnie 12-12-2012 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by Carnut1 (Post 1582547520)
After over 250 cars including multiple Ferrari's, Maserati's, and Lamborghini's I would not trade my 07 LMB Z06 for a 458 or any current so called exotic. As far as I'm concerned the last good Ferrari was my GEAR BOX 430 coupe. I HATE Flappy paddle cars (and I've owned BMW's Ferrari's Lamborghini's and Maserati's with them) no matter whose name is on them. But I'm old and I hate traction control, and AWD (oh do I hate them) sports cars as well. After I laugghed too many times when people who have Ferrari's talked about theirs cars having soul I think I am probably not well liked on the Ferrari chat boards anymore. It is all about drinking the kool aid and falling for the hype that is why 90% of the owners of exotics bought them, I was once amoung them. Me I'd rather have a car that does not draw attention (I live 5 miles from Algar Ferrari and a Z06 barely gets noticed there are 50 Ferrari owners and 200 Porsche owners withing a 3 mile radius of my house) and I can park wherever I like. Oh yeah my novel Mr. Breeze does have a 458 in it see what our maker does to that car! Happy Holidays!

http://www.amazon.com/Mr-Breeze-Mr-M.../dp/0615461034

Interesting premise.

As for thread topic, I would much rather have a Lamborghini Diablo. :D For cost of ownership relative to performance, however, I am quite happy with my C6Z.

EyeMaster 12-12-2012 11:28 AM

Looks like the car that has been made for you is a first generation Miata...

DON T. 12-12-2012 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by LFZ (Post 1582543778)
I have never seen nor heard of a Ferrari with 25k miles.

:rofl:

sublime1996525 12-12-2012 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by F430F1 (Post 1582544511)
You guys are very funny. My 05 F430 has over 18K on it and I drive it all the time. The newer models with chain driven cam will run for a very long time and need a $1K service each year and $3K every 3.

There are plenty of Vetts that sit in the garage driven only on the right sunny days.

I will not argue that the Ferrari can get very expensive to fix if something big goes wrong, but it is well worth the price of admission.

I am very happy with my 2012 Z07 though, which is my first Vett and have put 6K on it since getting it in April. It's a mighty fine car, but it aint no Ferrari :D........Steve

I'm a little jealous. The F430 is my dream car. One day maybe. Beautiful car sir :cheers:

383vett 12-12-2012 12:32 PM

You've gone through more cars than most people go through underwear in a lifetime. :yesnod:

CF Editor 12-12-2012 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by LFZ (Post 1582543778)
I have never seen nor heard of a Ferrari with 25k miles.

It's not uncommon for the 308s to go over 25k, and I remember seeing one on eBay—one owner, daily driver—with close to 80k. And with the new maintenance program, all services are covered for 12,500 miles per year, for seven years. So you can bet will see more high mileage examples in the future.

Drewstein 12-12-2012 01:39 PM

Until I see some UGR type Ferraris doing work they'll be second rate in my book.

The name used to be synonymous with speed, but now there's too many much better options.

LanceFitzgiben 12-12-2012 04:51 PM

I rode in a 430 scud with a fabtech straight through exhaust, wasn't properly tuned yet but it would run dead even with a stock Z. That's not saying much for the cost of the car, but all I'm trying to say is that they can and do shove out pretty good. But they're no trq fiend like the zed is.

mistermog 12-12-2012 05:51 PM

They are amazing machines, beautiful and fast yes but they just dont 'feel' it for me. They dont make me giggle. :) Not saying I wouldnt cut off a few fingers to afford a 599 or F12, or my favorite a 328.

camirocz 12-12-2012 06:27 PM

Ferraris like the 430 and 458 italia are great cars.Anything before that is really not reliable and costs a fortune to maintain.The 360 is really slow.

vertC6 12-12-2012 07:42 PM

Did he mention the $10K clutch you need after taking it to the track a couple of times.

D nice 12-12-2012 08:12 PM

Great thread...

The cost of ownership/maintenance depends also on the owner.

A friend of a friend owns a 2008 F430...
His 6k mile service included replacing drivers side seat bottom (because of scratch), tires, fluids....

But this is because he took the car in and said "whatever she needs"...

$14,000 later...he's good for another 6K miles :thumbs:

I can imagine the service manager pressuring the owner to "keep the Ferrari quality through good maintenance" tactic. "You really should replace that scratched seat bottom":D

cruzin2 12-12-2012 09:04 PM

I have been lucky to drive a few exotics at the track. Both the murcielago and the ferrari stradale were very quick, shifted with ease and handled so nicely. mid engine cars just handle like a dream. now at that same track, drove a z with cup tires and I was much quicker but it was a different experience. both are cool.