CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C5 General (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-general-103/)
-   -   I don't want to be fast anymore (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-general/3180128-i-dont-want-to-be-fast-anymore.html)

95rtturbo 12-10-2012 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by BeastlyC5 (Post 1582530671)
I have an '89 with a 2.8L. Those aren't for the 2.8.

The 2.8L isn't much better:

http://www.automobile-catalog.com/ma...etta/1989.html

18 city/29 highway, with a blazing 16.9 1/4 mile time!

Basically exactly the same estimates as the C5 Vette (minus the 1/4 mile time, of course). :)

TwoSmoke 12-10-2012 09:49 AM

Okay, so my idea about losing weight was just a joke.

But seriously, if you want better fuel mileage then forget about the idea of reducing cylinders. It's all about fuel delivery.

A 2000HP dragster will get the same mileage as a 4 cylinder motor if the fuel metering system is done correctly.

You need to get a variable fuel pre-compressor/expander filtration system on the Vette. A good fuel pre-compressor compresses the fuel before it gets to the engine and increases the volumetric efficiency of the fuel therefore giving any motor better fuel economy. Compressing the fuel before combustion removes the air from the fuel and condenses the fuel so that a smaller amount goes farther. After compressing, the fuel is then released into a expansion chamber that increases the volume exponentially before going into the motor.

Here is a good example of a fuel pre-compressor/expanding filter.

http://img.directindustry.com/images...55-2963411.jpg

Actually quite simple.

Good luck.

BeastlyC5 12-10-2012 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by 95rtturbo (Post 1582530716)
The 2.8L isn't much better:

http://www.automobile-catalog.com/ma...etta/1989.html

18 city/29 highway, with a blazing 16.9 1/4 mile time!

Basically exactly the same estimates as the C5 Vette (minus the 1/4 mile time, of course). :)

People always want to talk about the Beretta. Forget that car. I regret even mentioning it.
All I know is that I fill up a lot less with it, but drive it more than the vette.
And no I don't have a heavy foot when driving it. My wife would kill me if she found out how much I spend filling that thing up.
Are you serious about changing up the spark plug wire connections every now and then?

Evil-Twin 12-10-2012 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by BeastlyC5 (Post 1582529375)
Ummm, I have no reason to lie about this. Are you guys serious?

ARE YOU SERIOUS.... ??????????????????????????????

This forum has really hit bottom wth people like this.
The pristine Berretta comment was the best.. just look at the pristine engine bay.

Haxzaw 12-10-2012 09:53 AM

I'll bite with a serious answer. You can't do what you want to do to the car to save gas. Probably the best thing you could do is swap out the engine for a 6 cylinder or maybe a 4, but it would probably cost more than your interested in spending. On the other hand, you'd have a one of a kind C5, and that's bound to increase its value. A 6 cylinder from a Nissan 370Z would be great. If you decide you're tired of the Vette, I'll trade you straight across for my wife's smart car. 3 cylinders, 70 hp, and an automated manual transmission. It gets around 40 mpg and is a blast to drive.

3boystoys 12-10-2012 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by BeastlyC5 (Post 1582530744)
People always want to talk about the Beretta. Forget that car. I regret even mentioning it.
All I know is that I fill up a lot less with it, but drive it more than the vette.
And no I don't have a heavy foot when driving it. My wife would kill me if she found out how much I spend filling that thing up.
Are you serious about changing up the spark plug wire connections every now and then?

DUDE, go to Google and READ and Displacement on Demand (or MDS which is what Chrysler calls it). It's not a simple as removing a spark plug wire. Without the onboard computer knowing which cylinders to not fire the injectors on, it also has to realize which ones on each side of the engine need to be deactivated in order to keep engine balance. You also have to have SPECIFIC criteria as to when to deactivate these cylinders in order to not notice the different modes of operation. You also do not want a bunch or error codes (which you would get pulling plug wires).

Trade the Vette before you hurt yourself.

BeastlyC5 12-10-2012 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by 3boystoys (Post 1582530786)
DUDE, go to Google and READ and Displacement on Demand (or MDS which is what Chrysler calls it). It's not a simple as removing a spark plug wire. Without the onboard computer knowing which cylinders to not fire the injectors on, it also has to realize which ones on each side of the engine need to be deactivated in order to keep engine balance. You also have to have SPECIFIC criteria as to when to deactivate these cylinders in order to not notice the different modes of operation. You also do not want a bunch or error codes (which you would get pulling plug wires).

But if I cancel out the cylinders that are directly across from each other, there shouldn't be a balancing issue right? Like if I unplug them evenly. Do you see what I am saying?
I just want to make sure i'm doing this correctly. I don't want to mess anything up.

c5vetteguy 12-10-2012 10:01 AM

OK, Beastly, my fellow forum members have been having fun with you on this one. We usually let posts like this go for 5 pages before enlightening you to the real world of Corvetting. Consider this an initiation.

Being new to high performance automobiles, the first thing you need to know is that we register fuel consumption in gallons per month (GPM). This rating was instituted back in the late '70s, not long after the fuel crisis of that era. It was thought that this new way of judging consumption would totally baffle penny-pinching spouses and clueless environmentalists. And it worked! As a result, high performance cars are back, sporting the most horsepower than ever. Because GPM is inversely proportional to MPG, GPM has decreased accordingly, yielding the most efficient, highest performing cars ever. Sounds confusing, but just a different way of looking at performance. Kinda like converting chin-ups to pushups (which is not related to the effect that a bra adds to aerodynamics).

Now, on to your concerns about bettering your current consumption (not to be confused with electrics and/or hybrids). Simply put, drive your Corvette half as much and your GPM will decrease accordingly. As far as your Beretta goes (and this is just a shot in the dark), sell it and put the $ into car care products so the next owner can enjoy your insight and forethought. I hope you don't think this train of thought is cavalier, but is one that most of us with high performance sports cars adhere to, not unlike a well-applied can of Plasti-Dip.

:flag:

BeastlyC5 12-10-2012 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by 3boystoys (Post 1582530786)

Ok. So is this what you mean? Should I deactivate opposite connections? Would the balance be ok like this?

http://img713.imageshack.us/img713/5...camswapeng.jpg

BlackY2KCorvette 12-10-2012 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by sfc rick (Post 1582530243)
It's like being a man, then wanting to cut your nuts off. Capisci? :toetap:

:D :cool: LMAO!!

knewblewkorvette 12-10-2012 10:13 AM

Wow, just read 4 pages of......well.......wow :leaving:

95rtturbo 12-10-2012 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by BeastlyC5 (Post 1582530877)
Ok. So is this what you mean? Should I deactivate opposite connections? Would the balance be ok like this?

No. I think he meant to unplug all 8.

BlackY2KCorvette 12-10-2012 10:15 AM

put a Chevette engine in it. it still has Vette in it LOLOLOLOL :smash::smash:

Dave1998 12-10-2012 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by chassed (Post 1582529188)
Big as$ picture is big.

Nice shirt. Wait... Wuut?

You bought a Vette and you're worried about gas mileage? LOL

:withstupid:

renegad44 12-10-2012 10:23 AM

Every now and then, one comes around :lol:. Kind of reminds me of the Kung-Fu dude on here recently who was stomped by three dudes. :eek: :hide:

It's killing me that I see a U.S. Army plate on the front of the Beretta too... :U

BeastlyC5 12-10-2012 10:33 AM

Ok, so which ones should I disable to keep my balance? Is there any specific ones that are best? Last thing I need is to muck anything up that could cost me in the long run.

http://img812.imageshack.us/img812/5133/dsc0023ti.jpg

ssrallyred 12-10-2012 10:34 AM

Nice chuckel this morning thanks :D

That blue intake on the Barretta has to be worth a 50 shot lol

95rtturbo 12-10-2012 10:35 AM

You will have perfect balance if you disconnect all 8 - and wonderful gas mileage to boot! :thumbs:

BeastlyC5 12-10-2012 10:37 AM

Serious replies please. :cuss

renegad44 12-10-2012 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by sfc rick (Post 1582530243)
It's like being a man, then wanting to cut your nuts off. Capisci? :toetap:

:lol: :rofl:

http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/c...2494927_n1.jpg

:leaving: