CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C5 General (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-general-103/)
-   -   [Z06] will C5Z be a collectable ? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-general/3180060-will-c5z-be-a-collectable.html)

95rtturbo 12-10-2012 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by arkus (Post 1582531140)
thats the thing , you never know which model will demand big bucks .

True. My point is that it's foolish to just store a C5 Z in the hopes that someday it will bring big bucks. There are better investment options out there. :)

Toque 12-10-2012 12:03 PM

It may take a while but the C5 Z06 and FRC's will be more desirable than the coupe/vert.
For sure they will be worth more too.
It not for looks, then for the low volume made.

Toque

rcrflyby 12-10-2012 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by racebum (Post 1582528950)
a lighter car with direct injection is garbage? :lol:

Deleted e-argument starter

ctusser 12-10-2012 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by racebum (Post 1582528950)
a lighter car with direct injection is garbage? :lol:

There's always resistance from some to new releases. In a decade the current naysayers will own them and call the future generation cars garbage.

RC000E 12-10-2012 06:00 PM

40 years from now, I think any of the "upper end" Corvette models are clearly going to be the more desirable models. As far as the "big money" collector cars, I imagine the C6Z has very good potential to be a big money collector if the 427 goes away. C5Z's may also have a place due to the FRC's.

This is all speculation though, and frankly....who cares at this piont..lol?

RC000E 12-10-2012 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by rcrflyby (Post 1582531896)
Deleted e-argument starter

the e-argument starter was that blind statement you made about the C7 being junk...lol. You based this on...nothing?

The only info really available is the outward body design (which may not be entirely accurate), the motor with limited details, and that's about it. Based upon its performance in GranTurismo5, the car is extremely capable..appearing to possibly be as fast at the Nurburgring as the C6Z.

How this is junk, based on the limited info available, just strikes me as a very, very ignorant statement.

danziger 12-10-2012 06:13 PM

I think the FRC body-style will be desirable, but not necessarily "collectable". Heck, I have a "special Commemerative Edition" Z16 and mod it and drive it hard...not worried about resale.

GeorgeZNJ 12-11-2012 07:08 AM

Collectable- no, desireable-maybe.
but it'll be another 40-50yrs. My personal car- never, unless you like superior good looks, 500rwhp/490rwyq, and a history of driving it properly.

vant 12-11-2012 02:43 PM

Collectible? Maybe in 40 years. But I doubt you'll be able to afford 18 gallons of gasoline in 2052. :willy:

Here's the thing. There IS a big difference between 60's/70's classic cars and modern cars. Specifically, in the electronics and computer systems.

The 60's/70's muscle cars are relatively simple machines by today's standards. They're mostly mechanical. They're easy to work on, fix, repair, whatever...with basic garage tools. Most shade tree mechanics can handle it.

On the other hand, modern cars have extremely complex electronics and computer systems. I have to imagine that these systems are going to be a nightmare to keep running in 40 years. In some cases, you may not be able to find parts at all. It may just end up being too expensive or too problematic for potential collectors.

I don't expect them (or any modern Corvette) to be worth much in the future. So I'm driving mine as much as possible. :cheers:

Moto One 12-11-2012 03:18 PM

For anything to be collectable, there has to be a demographic group that has the desire to have any one item. Look at mid century cars, the group that has a connection and desire to own them is now starting to die out. And depending on how next generations are educated there may be no desier for collector cars of any kind.

That said, having a hi performance, easy to maintain, good looking C5 Z06 at an affordable cost (know matter the milage) will alway have a place on the Desierable list. Just not at the money our generation (that includes you sub 30 types) think they should bring.

Mark

93Polo 12-11-2012 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by jpalamar (Post 1582528621)
Nope. It's just a car that should be driven hard and a lot.

Originally Posted by DvX (Post 1582529232)
i think maybe the super low run ones (SW and z16) will be in like 20-30 more years lol

Originally Posted by ctusser (Post 1582529247)
Less so than the 90's ZR-1's and they aren't very collectable yet.

Likely some truth above. However, as much as I love the C4 ZR-1s, the C5Zs are more loved by the people that were young when they were new, making it the attainable dream car like a big block 69 Camaro, C2/C3 427. ZR-1s were modded less often and tracked less often making for a higher survival rate. The masses also have a fear of getting parts or finding a good mechanic for the LT5.

I also think that in 20 years original C5Zs will go up in value because so many were modded. Original clean Notchback Fox bodies have gone up over the past 10 years, most were modded and driven hard. With that said they will still likely sell for less than they do now.

JoeJ 12-11-2012 11:18 PM

It's all due to market conditions and none of us can predict what the future will bring. 60 era muscle cars developed value because of actions the insurance industry and petroleum prices drove the big three to do. Back in the day you could hardly give away a LS6 Chevelle. It took the automotive industry 25 years to recover after that. Today we have modern muscle that exceeds what was produced then, but it’s at 10 times the cost and much of the styling is inferior. All we can do is wait and see, enjoy the cars now, but if you are buying it as an investment, you should re-think that decision.

Varmit 12-12-2012 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by DvX (Post 1582529232)
i think maybe the super low run ones (SW and z16) will be in like 20-30 more years lol

well my kids hope so anyway, as I will not be around. probably room temp by then!!!!

2kFRC_HWN 12-12-2012 02:35 PM

I wondered about this.. I just sold my old notchback mustang for almost as much as I bought the frc for. Pure speculation but looking at the value of this generation of vette to the fox mustang, I think in the long run the notch would've eventually commanded more money. But I must say that i enjoy driving this much more!

khartford 12-12-2012 06:02 PM

Hi Arkus,
I think so. V8s are disappearing fast.
Remember the discussion about the C7 having a turbo or supercharged V6?
We're at the end of an era.
Regards,
Ken

sublime1996525 12-12-2012 06:07 PM

I would like to think they will be collectible but it won't be in my lifetime and if it is it would have to be super low mileage ones. I can't buy a car and just let it sit. On a side note I miss my C5Z

arkus 12-12-2012 10:41 PM

Originally Posted by JoeJ (Post 1582546399)
It's all due to market conditions and none of us can predict what the future will bring. 60 era muscle cars developed value because of actions the insurance industry and petroleum prices drove the big three to do. Back in the day you could hardly give away a LS6 Chevelle. It took the automotive industry 25 years to recover after that. Today we have modern muscle that exceeds what was produced then, but it’s at 10 times the cost and much of the styling is inferior. All we can do is wait and see, enjoy the cars now, but if you are buying it as an investment, you should re-think that decision.

I agree with your whole post :cheers:

79inSD 12-12-2012 11:01 PM

My 03 just got totaled by a drunk driver so one less there :sadangel: But I think they might. Just think how many less there are each year. I am sure thousands have bet junked from accidents. Was looking at KBB and says mine was worth 27750 and a 08 z is at like 38000. So they are holding the prices pretty good.

danziger 12-13-2012 07:11 AM

Originally Posted by 2kFRC_HWN (Post 1582550765)
I wondered about this.. I just sold my old notchback mustang for almost as much as I bought the frc for. Pure speculation but looking at the value of this generation of vette to the fox mustang, I think in the long run the notch would've eventually commanded more money. But I must say that i enjoy driving this much more!

You sold a notch Fox for FRC money? You made out on that deal for sure... Don't think the Foxes will ever be worth more on average than C5s. Too many made and to low of an entry price...

I currently wouldn't pay more than $6K for a Fox unless it was a 1993 Cobra. You can find plenty of decent ones around here for $5K and project Foxes for $2K...

2kFRC_HWN 12-13-2012 05:07 PM

I got the FRC for a good price... and the fox had money into it. Nothing exotic... but much faster than my vette (for now anyhow!) Lol! In the past few years the fox mustangs have been creeping up in price, apparently its getting harder to find one without significant rust.

I wonder if its going to be like first gen camaros. Dime a dozen before but hard to find for reasonable cost now. Dunno??

Originally Posted by danziger (Post 1582556072)
You sold a notch Fox for FRC money? You made out on that deal for sure... Don't think the Foxes will ever be worth more on average than C5s. Too many made and to low of an entry price...

I currently wouldn't pay more than $6K for a Fox unless it was a 1993 Cobra. You can find plenty of decent ones around here for $5K and project Foxes for $2K...