CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C6 Corvette General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion-74/)
-   -   Tips for driving your C6 in the snow! (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion/3174356-tips-for-driving-your-c6-in-the-snow.html)

Mad*Max 12-01-2012 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by Mr.T. (Post 1582461560)
Guys, Please!
The corvette isn’t made of sugar, it won’t melt in the presence of precipitation!

What I find odd is here in Toronto over the winter I see loads of Porsche on the road: carrera 2, carrera 4, (I see turbos 2 but I think those are all AWD). Even though the Porsche costs big $$$ (maybe they are all leased) they are out in the winter.

I also see BMWs including the M3s, M5s chugging along just fine. Other than watching the ground clearance (yes, on the ‘vette it’s low), put on winter tires, and what’s the problem?

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w...ettesalty1.jpg

GreginNH 12-01-2012 02:03 PM

Guys, Please!
The corvette isn’t made of sugar, it won’t melt in the presence of precipitation!

What I find odd is here in Toronto over the winter I see loads of Porsche on the road: carrera 2, carrera 4, (I see turbos 2 but I think those are all AWD). Even though the Porsche costs big $$$ (maybe they are all leased) they are out in the winter.

I also see BMWs including the M3s, M5s chugging along just fine. Other than watching the ground clearance (yes, on the ‘vette it’s low), put on winter tires, and what’s the problem?

If I didn't care about messing up my fair weather toy, I would consider putting on a set of Hakkas and have some major fun! BTW, I drove my 911SC year round when I lived in Montreal. I never got stuck.

MisterMidlifeCrisis 12-01-2012 08:39 PM

Guys, Please!

Exactly. You can't imagine how many 911's, S4's, Caymans, and other equally or way more expensive sports cars you see up at the ski areas, but never a Corvette. It only reinforces all of the negative stereotypes of Corvette owners. Drive 'em!

jackhall99 12-01-2012 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by Don Nolan (Post 1582458787)
You can't be serious!!-----:leaving:

OK, after four straight posts stating you won't drive your Corvette in the snow, we get it! :thumbs:

TKgs2010 12-02-2012 01:22 AM

Originally Posted by MisterMidlifeCrisis (Post 1582463938)
Exactly. You can't imagine how many 911's, S4's, Caymans, and other equally or way more expensive sports cars you see up at the ski areas, but never a Corvette. It only reinforces all of the negative stereotypes of Corvette owners. Drive 'em!

:eek: A couple things you're not thinking of.....
911 = rear engine, RWD
Cayman = mid engine, RWD
S4 = front engine, AWD
All 3 with much more ground clearance and narrower tires than the Corvette. Think about it.:yesnod:

oldgoat99 12-02-2012 02:12 AM

Originally Posted by Arachnyd (Post 1582440782)

Fixed!

TerryL 12-02-2012 03:41 AM

Originally Posted by Mad*Max (Post 1582457262)
I have the same tires and I have found them to be very good in the rain, even with the tread being low - and I am talking about interstate highway speeds.

But in the cold they are definitely like hockey pucks...

They only have 4,000 on them but they were cold. Just left the house and got on the freeway and with very little help from my right foot I thought I was in a drifting contest. The first day I got the car I drove down hiway 1 from Mendocino and it was wet but the tires had warmed up properly. Cornered on rails!

MisterMidlifeCrisis 12-02-2012 05:08 AM

Originally Posted by TKgs2010 (Post 1582465730)
:eek: A couple things you're not thinking of.....
911 = rear engine, RWD
Cayman = mid engine, RWD
S4 = front engine, AWD
All 3 with much more ground clearance and narrower tires than the Corvette. Think about it.:yesnod:

None of those cars were running summer tires so the summer tire width has nothing to do with it. And you have a spectrum of nose heavy (S4), tail heavy (911) and evenly balanced (Cayman/Corvette), and AWD (S4 and some 911) and RWD (some 911, Cayman, Corvette). There's nothing exclusive about the Corvette layout that says it shouldn't be driven up to a ski area or during a winter, other than that more Corvette drivers than drivers of these other more expensive vehicles, tend not to use them and will park them in the winter.

Arachnyd 12-02-2012 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by phileaglesfan (Post 1582449288)
I would worry more about hitting buried potholes/curbs.

My wife's friend wanted to go for a ride last weekend, top down and around 40 degrees. Heaters work great. People probably thought we were nuts but who cares. She was even from Phoenix.

I used to chuckle because my summer car had heated seats and heated mirrors while my truck had neither.

Why would they come with heated seats and heated mirrors if they were for summer only? haha. At least lets take some spring and fall...

Arachnyd 12-02-2012 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by MisterMidlifeCrisis (Post 1582463938)

Some of the stereotypes are probably true but not necessarily negative... Quite frankly, I know a lot of vette owners who are really stretching themselves to buy a vette, while most the porsche owners I know have money to spare... be it the nature of a no-nonsense performance car and probably no doubt the best bang-for-the-buck in existance.

I think that causes a lot of vette owners to overly "baby" their cars.

I was at the track a few weeks ago and a guy totalled his Porsche carerra GT. He pulled out his lambo and drove the rest of the day.

JEA 12-02-2012 05:15 PM

Use your Gallardo in wintertime it is 4WD
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbNCeKITAc8

Pinky... 12-02-2012 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by Arachnyd (Post 1582469581)
Some of the stereotypes are probably true but not necessarily negative... Quite frankly, I know a lot of vette owners who are really stretching themselves to buy a vette, while most the porsche owners I know have money to spare... be it the nature of a no-nonsense performance car and probably no doubt the best bang-for-the-buck in existance.

I think that causes a lot of vette owners to overly "baby" their cars.

I was at the track a few weeks ago and a guy totalled his Porsche carerra GT. He pulled out his lambo and drove the rest of the day.

Difference is he has the money to do so. Most Corvette owners don't, and I'm willing to bet the reason the majority of owners don't drive them in the winter is because they can't afford to. I know that's the reason I don't. I don't have the money to buy another one so I sure as hell don't want to destroy what I have. If you look at the demographics of Corvette owners, it's the everyman's sports car, unlike Porsche, Ferrari, Lambo, and Audi.

lordofwar 12-03-2012 12:51 AM

I know many of you don't drive your vette in the snow, but we see them driving around every winter so I know a few of you do!. I wrote this up last year for the Camaro Drivers because that seemed to be a major area of concern as many of those owners drive it as their daily year round. Most of the same tips for driving a manual C5 Camaro are the same as for these vettes.

How to drive a camaro/corvette in winter:

What you need: Winter or All Season tires, Four sand bags, two strips of carpet, and a small shovel if you park on street or outside.

1. Put on snow tires or at least all seasons. Pirelli Pzeros will NOT work in snow and ice… plain and simple. In really deep snow, consider a pair of chains to keep in your trunk.

2. Buy some sand bags to put in the trunk. I recommend about 240 lbs (four 60 lbs). Make sure you have two on each side, and put them as far towards the rear of the vehicle as possible.

3. Drive slowly and carefully- You own a camaro/corvette. You probably want to drive it like it’s a camaro/corvette. Don’t do that during winter though… drive slowly and carefully even when you don’t want to. Save the fun driving for a good-weather day!

4. Turning: What a lot of people forget to realize is what they learned in 6th grade physics. Accellearting is simply a change in velocity. This can be done in three ways, speeding up, slowing down, and changing direction. Just like when racing, you never want to do more than one of these at a time in limited traction scenarios. For that reason, what they teach you in race schools applies to turning in snow- BRAKE before you turn, then turn, then accelerate. Do NOT brake IN a turn, and use caution when accelerating IN a turn.

5. Starting: If the camaro/corvette slips when your trying to accelerate from a stop, ease up on the gas! If your driving an auto, put it in 2 to lock the transmission into 2nd gear. If you are driving a manual V6, start in 2nd gear (skip first). If you are in a V8, consider 2nd or even 3rd gear to get going. Look ahead and keep distance from vehicles in front of you! The camaro/corvette is a heavy car, and even all season tires may not grip as well as the truck in front of you with snow tires. Double the distance you normally would and keep your eyes open for brake lights!

6. Stopping: When stopping, brake well in advance, apply the brakes gently. You don’t want to skid if you don’t have to. If you start skidding lay off the brakes. If your driving a stick, downshift into stops. Try to always have an “out” when braking- know where you can go if you can stop fast enough (parking lot entrance, median, berm)

7. When skidding- Properly navigating a skid is like braking without antilock brakes. Its ideal, but its difficult for most people- especially under pressure. For this reason, if your less experienced what is typically recommended now days is to simply reduce power (let off gas… don’t brake!), and turn the steering wheel the direction you want to go. I repeat… don’t brake! Intuition will handle your steering! Don’t steer too far though (if your not turning, that doesn’t mean you want to turn the wheel FURTHER- just simply keep it pointed where you want to go). For more experienced drivers, you want to navigate towards the direction of the skid to quickly regain traction and then ease into the direction you want to go. This sounds simple, but is much more difficult under pressure.

8. Hills: Try not to brake. When going down hills, downshift in a manual. Auto drivers may benefit from using tap shift and downshifting also. Coast down the hill, but do not let your car get out of control. If you must brake, slow and steady is the way to go. Don’t pump it or feather it. When going up hills, speed up before hitting the incline to carry your momentum into the hill. If you’ve tried to get up a hill multiple times with no luck, try to back up first- back up and get a “running start”, building momentum to get up the hill. Drive up the treads of other vehicles… or don’t! if the treads of other vehicles really is down to bare concrete, that will give you more traction- however, frequently they’ve just polished off the ice for you. Sometimes you can actually get more traction in the snow. Try driving up slightly off center with your treads in the snow. You might slip a bit, but you often get more traction going up than you would trying to drive up slick ice! Lastly, FWD and 4x4s benefit from shaking the steering wheel back and foreth to gain traction. In rare situations, even a RWD can use that trick to move the car just enough to get a tiny bit of grip. It is worth a shot if all else fails!

9. Getting stuck- Keep two pieces of short piece of old carpet in your trunk. If your stuck on ice in a parking space, you can put the carpet under the rear tires to get traction. Learn to “rock” your car if necessary, but don’t do it too long. You can easily burn out the transmission. Rocking is quickly going from “D to R” in an auto, or “1 to R” in reverse (or 2 to R in ice). Rock the car back and foreth trying to get better traction. This works effectively with the carpet trick as you rock the car onto carpet. If the car is REALLY stuck, use a shovel to clear out area on front of the front AND rear wheels, as well as in front of the bumper if its high enough to get in your way.

10. PRACTICE- if your not familiar with driving in winter (or driving a RWD or stick in winter), go practice! Even seasoned veterans benefit from a quick romp in a parking lot. Using an empty parking lot during the first snow, practice braking, skidding, and seeing how the car handles in the snow. When practicing, throw your car into a skid and do some donuts. Seriously, just get a feeling for how your car does things in snow and how to get it out of skids.

11. Other tips and tricks: Foggy front window? Open your front windows slightly and turn AC on air recirculation. The AC actually removes moisture from the car! If you park your car outside, consider buying a ice shield. These make leaving in the morning 10x easier. Although its $26 here, I paid $1 at the dollar store for the same thing. I’ve also seen them at walmart: http://www.amazon.com/Auto-Expressio.../dp/B000BYRHIS . If traction control literally freezes both of your tires, turn it off when conquering an obstacle. Most drivers will want to turn it back on for normal driving in winter!

12. Winter Service: Make sure your car is in good condition and properly serviced. Sounds silly, but this leads to most winter car issues.
If you live where there is a lot of salt, consider getting the underbody protection. Underbody protection is only as good as it is applied, so do due diligence when choosing an underbody protector.
Wash the UNDERBODY of your car between salt cycles. Salt is one of the most detrimental elements to cars, and getting an underbody spray can keep it clean.

great write up,but i have a better 1,buy a winter car and leave your vette in the garage.

jackhall99 12-03-2012 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by lordofwar (Post 1582473136)
great write up,but i have a better 1,buy a winter car and leave your vette in the garage.

Yours is another simple reply to avoid Arachnyd's advice on how YOU can learn to drive, and enjoy, your RWD car during the mostly usable winter months. :crazy:

To each his own, but your idea is NOT a better one in some Corvette owner's opinions. It is just your opinion. :cheers:

Sammy Bono 12-07-2012 09:10 PM

I am glad to have a truck to drive on those ugly michigan days

blitzebill 12-07-2012 09:16 PM

I have a winter beater and have no desire to get road salt, snow, ice and what have you on a $65K car.

Also, being a GS, with summer tires, it is not naturally suited for those conditions.

Yes it gets pampered and will last me a long time. I do drive it in the rain in the warmer months.

The vette is under cover til spring.

Dad-At 12-08-2012 07:37 AM

http://i519.photobucket.com/albums/u...t/_DSC1977.jpg
Never!!!

JKbride 12-08-2012 07:47 AM

I have found when driving my Vette in the snow and ice here in Atlanta it's best to put tire chains on ;)

jackhall99 12-10-2012 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by JKbride (Post 1582515138)
I have found when driving my Vette in the snow and ice here in Atlanta it's best to put tire chains on ;)

See post #83. :D

Boba Fett 12-10-2012 04:16 PM

I know many of you don't drive your vette in the snow, but we see them driving around every winter so I know a few of you do!. I wrote this up last year for the Camaro Drivers because that seemed to be a major area of concern as many of those owners drive it as their daily year round. Most of the same tips for driving a manual C5 Camaro are the same as for these vettes.

How to drive a camaro/corvette in winter:

What you need: Winter or All Season tires, Four sand bags, two strips of carpet, and a small shovel if you park on street or outside.

1. Put on snow tires or at least all seasons. Pirelli Pzeros will NOT work in snow and ice… plain and simple. In really deep snow, consider a pair of chains to keep in your trunk.

2. Buy some sand bags to put in the trunk. I recommend about 240 lbs (four 60 lbs). Make sure you have two on each side, and put them as far towards the rear of the vehicle as possible.

3. Drive slowly and carefully- You own a camaro/corvette. You probably want to drive it like it’s a camaro/corvette. Don’t do that during winter though… drive slowly and carefully even when you don’t want to. Save the fun driving for a good-weather day!

4. Turning: What a lot of people forget to realize is what they learned in 6th grade physics. Accellearting is simply a change in velocity. This can be done in three ways, speeding up, slowing down, and changing direction. Just like when racing, you never want to do more than one of these at a time in limited traction scenarios. For that reason, what they teach you in race schools applies to turning in snow- BRAKE before you turn, then turn, then accelerate. Do NOT brake IN a turn, and use caution when accelerating IN a turn.

5. Starting: If the camaro/corvette slips when your trying to accelerate from a stop, ease up on the gas! If your driving an auto, put it in 2 to lock the transmission into 2nd gear. If you are driving a manual V6, start in 2nd gear (skip first). If you are in a V8, consider 2nd or even 3rd gear to get going. Look ahead and keep distance from vehicles in front of you! The camaro/corvette is a heavy car, and even all season tires may not grip as well as the truck in front of you with snow tires. Double the distance you normally would and keep your eyes open for brake lights!

6. Stopping: When stopping, brake well in advance, apply the brakes gently. You don’t want to skid if you don’t have to. If you start skidding lay off the brakes. If your driving a stick, downshift into stops. Try to always have an “out” when braking- know where you can go if you can stop fast enough (parking lot entrance, median, berm)

7. When skidding- Properly navigating a skid is like braking without antilock brakes. Its ideal, but its difficult for most people- especially under pressure. For this reason, if your less experienced what is typically recommended now days is to simply reduce power (let off gas… don’t brake!), and turn the steering wheel the direction you want to go. I repeat… don’t brake! Intuition will handle your steering! Don’t steer too far though (if your not turning, that doesn’t mean you want to turn the wheel FURTHER- just simply keep it pointed where you want to go). For more experienced drivers, you want to navigate towards the direction of the skid to quickly regain traction and then ease into the direction you want to go. This sounds simple, but is much more difficult under pressure.

8. Hills: Try not to brake. When going down hills, downshift in a manual. Auto drivers may benefit from using tap shift and downshifting also. Coast down the hill, but do not let your car get out of control. If you must brake, slow and steady is the way to go. Don’t pump it or feather it. When going up hills, speed up before hitting the incline to carry your momentum into the hill. If you’ve tried to get up a hill multiple times with no luck, try to back up first- back up and get a “running start”, building momentum to get up the hill. Drive up the treads of other vehicles… or don’t! if the treads of other vehicles really is down to bare concrete, that will give you more traction- however, frequently they’ve just polished off the ice for you. Sometimes you can actually get more traction in the snow. Try driving up slightly off center with your treads in the snow. You might slip a bit, but you often get more traction going up than you would trying to drive up slick ice! Lastly, FWD and 4x4s benefit from shaking the steering wheel back and foreth to gain traction. In rare situations, even a RWD can use that trick to move the car just enough to get a tiny bit of grip. It is worth a shot if all else fails!

9. Getting stuck- Keep two pieces of short piece of old carpet in your trunk. If your stuck on ice in a parking space, you can put the carpet under the rear tires to get traction. Learn to “rock” your car if necessary, but don’t do it too long. You can easily burn out the transmission. Rocking is quickly going from “D to R” in an auto, or “1 to R” in reverse (or 2 to R in ice). Rock the car back and foreth trying to get better traction. This works effectively with the carpet trick as you rock the car onto carpet. If the car is REALLY stuck, use a shovel to clear out area on front of the front AND rear wheels, as well as in front of the bumper if its high enough to get in your way.

10. PRACTICE- if your not familiar with driving in winter (or driving a RWD or stick in winter), go practice! Even seasoned veterans benefit from a quick romp in a parking lot. Using an empty parking lot during the first snow, practice braking, skidding, and seeing how the car handles in the snow. When practicing, throw your car into a skid and do some donuts. Seriously, just get a feeling for how your car does things in snow and how to get it out of skids.

11. Other tips and tricks: Foggy front window? Open your front windows slightly and turn AC on air recirculation. The AC actually removes moisture from the car! If you park your car outside, consider buying a ice shield. These make leaving in the morning 10x easier. Although its $26 here, I paid $1 at the dollar store for the same thing. I’ve also seen them at walmart: http://www.amazon.com/Auto-Expressio.../dp/B000BYRHIS . If traction control literally freezes both of your tires, turn it off when conquering an obstacle. Most drivers will want to turn it back on for normal driving in winter!

12. Winter Service: Make sure your car is in good condition and properly serviced. Sounds silly, but this leads to most winter car issues.
If you live where there is a lot of salt, consider getting the underbody protection. Underbody protection is only as good as it is applied, so do due diligence when choosing an underbody protector.
Wash the UNDERBODY of your car between salt cycles. Salt is one of the most detrimental elements to cars, and getting an underbody spray can keep it clean.

holy crap, I don't even want to read this entire post much less go through all of this crap to drive my vette in the snow...If its really worth it to you then by all means...where Im at in NY, we often see snow that no matter how you've equipped a vette-you aint moving! and that's simply not an option with my job...Years ago when I as a kid, had a trans am (only car), and can remember winter preppin/driving it-what a royal pita..there are plenty of idiots out there in 4wd vehicles but doing this IMHO is just not the smartest idea either.

Originally Posted by laconiajack (Post 1582447775)
"Idiot drivers"?, that would be anyone driving any wide-bodied C6 Vette in the snow. Light bodied, rear wheel drive cars with extra-wide tires is a formula for disaster; without snow tires on all fours is a formula for total disaster (I spent 54 years driving in the snow belt). If you live in the south, like I do now, just stay home, period! Telling people to "take it easy, be careful and watch out"" is like giving an infant a package of razor blades to play with and telling them to "be careful".:leaving:

sorry, have to agree with this...