CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C5 General (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-general-103/)
-   -   Stopped for DWIC (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-general/3171529-stopped-for-dwic.html)

K9Leader 11-23-2012 10:25 AM

Stopped for DWIC

Yesterday I got stopped for my first DWIC - Driving While In Corvette!

We were headed from Delaware to Virginia for Thanksgiving at my parents' house on Thanksgiving morning on Route 301 between Delaware and the Chesapeake Bay Bridge. Very light traffic, big, wide two-lanes each way, with a massive median. Speed limit is 55 but speeds typically range from 60-80 on that stretch. I was doing 70 and was being passed more often than I was passing. A black Altima passes me doing 80-85 and a minute or two later I see the Maryland state trooper waving me over.

His manner was more friendly than any other stop I've ever had, he took license and registration (didn't want the insurance). When he came back he said, "Sir, this is a 1999?" I confirmed and he said, "Wow, it looks like it's brand new." My wife told him, "Well, he rubs it down every night." Then the trooper says, "I'm only giving you a warning because I'm impressed you are able to keep it to under 100." And we were on our way.

I think he just wanted to take a look at a Corvette - that Altima would have been a better stop but he ignored it and zeroed in on me. Ah, the price you pay for driving a red Corvette convertible . . .

Oh 2 Fun 11-23-2012 10:48 AM

Ha....that's funny. Except for the whole being pulled over part.

I've thought about my response if ever pulled over for speeding that I might say "Well I thought I was showing considerable restraint" keeping it under a 100 !!

Probably wouldn't go over well. Great that your LEO beat you to the punch on that.

Thanks for sharing.

4 KRUSIN 11-23-2012 12:09 PM

Good story.

I've been pulled over in a Vette by the police on three different occasions and never been ticketed. Once regarding a stolen Vette - totally different color than mine, and twice just to see it. Had a nice chat about the car each time and went on my way.:lol:

Oh, I'm touching wood as I'm writing this just to protect myself in the future.

Oh 2 Fun 11-23-2012 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by 4 KRUSIN (Post 1582399261)
Oh, I'm touching wood as I'm writing this .

Ewwww.....

VETJAZZ 11-23-2012 01:04 PM

Right on!! :thumbs:

jrose7004 11-23-2012 01:10 PM

Alls well that ends well!

Camjamsdad 11-23-2012 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by 4 KRUSIN (Post 1582399261)
Oh, I'm touching wood as I'm writing this just to protect myself in the future.

Didn't your momma ever tell you to stop the that or you'll go blind?

Vetteman Jack 11-23-2012 08:06 PM

While you might have been inconvienced by being pulled over, at least the state trooper was pretty cool and let you off with a warning. And I agree that the Altima should have been the one pulled over.

CBZZZC5 11-24-2012 12:39 AM

Yep I've been stopped for DWIC as well. Glad you didn't get a ticket :cheers:

El original 11-24-2012 01:14 AM

Nice story, thanks for sharing...no doubt Corvettes are not your everyday grocery getter and are getting more unique day by day! I go to europe every summer and as a car guy always loved to see the different looking cars there. Well this summer I was sorley disappointed...all the cars look the same, even to a car guy! The Corvette year by year looks different than 95% of the cars out there. That reason alone makes the car special, lets enjoy being special in such a boring car world. I think you would agree. Greetings, Rob

jdot 11-24-2012 03:35 AM

It sounds like he only wanted to see your car up close. Shame on him for putting himself and you at risk making an unwarranted traffic stop. It hasn't happened to me yet but I'm just waiting because there are six lane highways all around where I live and I do have a bit of a heavy foot time to time.

DeeGee 11-24-2012 04:19 AM

Great story. I was worried when I read the title.

Me too. A local police officer decided I was worth chatting to me even though she had to drive at 80 mph for over 2 miles to catch me and I was doing the legal speed limit.

Sometimes it just pays to keep quiet:eek: