CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C6 Corvette General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion-74/)
-   -   FUSTRATED. Need help finging 3rd gear (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion/3171460-fustrated-need-help-finging-3rd-gear.html)

NoXcape 11-23-2012 07:07 AM

FUSTRATED. Need help finging 3rd gear

For some reason under full acceleration I can not get my car into 3rd gear. It feels like i'm hitting a bump stop or inbetween gears. Under normal driving and shifting it is fine and smooth . I've tried to not have the death grip and even the palm method but nothing works. Car is only 1 year old..6k miles,,,clutch fluid changed...and not driven hard at all.. Would a short shifter solve this problem? I assume that taking the traction control off has nothing to do with this but fig i'd throw that out there as well ( I forget to take it off). I would love to take my car to the 1/4 mile track but fig no point until i get this fig out...
Any help appreciated.. I did watch Rangers vid on shifting as well...

mksz51 11-23-2012 07:10 AM

Could be the vague factory shifter. I would (and did) change the factory shifter to an MGW. BEST mod I've done to my car. You'll be amazed when you see the difference in build quality from the factory shifter to the MGW and then impressed further when you use it.

heli-vette 11-23-2012 07:33 AM

+ 1 on the MGW shifter and if you are close to an oil change on the M6 transmission ( mobile 1 ATF ) ...that helps to lighten and smooth out the shifting forces .

Mad*Max 11-23-2012 07:40 AM

:lurk:

Dave S 11-23-2012 07:46 AM

Originally Posted by NoXcape (Post 1582397627)
For some reason under full acceleration I can not get my car into 3rd gear. It feels like i'm hitting a bump stop or inbetween gears. Under normal driving and shifting it is fine and smooth . I've tried to not have the death grip and even the palm method but nothing works. Car is only 1 year old..6k miles,,,clutch fluid changed...and not driven hard at all.. Would a short shifter solve this problem? I assume that taking the traction control off has nothing to do with this but fig i'd throw that out there as well ( I forget to take it off). I would love to take my car to the 1/4 mile track but fig no point until i get this fig out...
Any help appreciated.. I did watch Rangers vid on shifting as well...

Are you aware of the "skip shift" feature in 6sp Vettes (and other GM 6sp models)? This feature forces shifting to a higher gear under certain load conditions.....all in the name of meeting Fed mpg mandates (or more accurately....avoiding the "gas guzzler" tax). Most of us have installed so-called "skip shift eliminators". Available from most of the Forum parts vendors for $20 or less....there is also a DIY resistor install. Do a search for "skip shift eliminator".

Double D Mods 11-23-2012 07:50 AM

Originally Posted by Dave S (Post 1582397742)
Are you aware of the "skip shift" feature in 6sp Vettes (and other GM 6sp models)? This feature forces shifting to a higher gear under certain load conditions.....all in the name of meeting Fed mpg mandates (or more accurately....avoiding the "gas guzzler" tax). Most of us have installed so-called "skip shift eliminators". Available from most of the Forum parts vendors for $20 or less....there is also a DIY resistor install. Do a search for "skip shift eliminator".

one of these is what he is talking about:thumbs:
http://shop.doubledmods.com/searchqu...?keywords=cags

01VETTECOP 11-23-2012 07:59 AM

Have you ever checked your muffler bearings ???

shawn672 11-23-2012 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by Dave S (Post 1582397742)

If he's at WOT and shifting into 3rd, we can safely assume he WAS in 2nd, which means CAGS has nothing to do with it since it will only activate when you're in 1st gear.

The OP is hitting the bumper between 1st and 3rd it sounds and it may be because the shifter floats back to the center on it's own (right below 3rd and 4th). OP, it sounds like you're shifting from 2nd to 3rd pretty quickly and may be pushing the shifter almost straight up out of 2nd, try giving it more angle so it pops far enough to the center (also the shifter will tend to want to go to that location on it's own).

This is much easier showing you in person, perhaps there you know someone local who also owns a vette who can show you?

dvilin 11-23-2012 09:14 AM

I had the same problem but it was me. Once I began using the so called palm method and pushed the shifter almost straight up into 3rd it has been a non issue.
I have found under WOT you do tend to want to slam it into gear. If you are convinced you can not hit 3rd gear under WOT, and there is nothing wrong with the car, I would go with the MGW shifter.

Flh Den 11-23-2012 09:27 AM

Do you lift when shifting into 3rd or power shift? There must be quite a few members who drag their C6's who could give you a few tips on shifting. I personally have an MGW shifter but not being on the strip I always lift and shift a bit slower and never have any problem, but then again I rarely shift at redline.

Flh Den 11-23-2012 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by mksz51 (Post 1582397633)
Could be the vague factory shifter. I would (and did) change the factory shifter to an MGW. BEST mod I've done to my car. You'll be amazed when you see the difference in build quality from the factory shifter to the MGW and then impressed further when you use it.

:iagree:

barduch 11-23-2012 09:31 AM

I just posted on an MGW thread but I'll report from the "office of redundancy office". With the MGW, the second to third shift will bring tears to your eyes. It is seamless whether normal or very aggressive power levels are being utilized.:cheers:

brooklync5 11-23-2012 01:13 PM

Mgw shifter is the cure for your 3rd gear woes.

NoXcape 11-23-2012 01:32 PM

I guess im just going to have to try and slow down just a little bit on that shift..I will get the MGW and see if that helps. I wish i could tell if i have to angel a tad more to the left or a tad to the right lol to get it in there right...

mksz51 11-23-2012 01:36 PM

Try this - push it forward out of second, pause a split second to allow it to center in the gate, and then push forward again into third. Remember - the "default" gate is 3-4. This works VERY well with the MGW - it is so precise you'll instantly get it.

NoXcape 11-23-2012 01:40 PM

Thx Mks..i ll try that...what do you mean be Default 3-4?

JLMounce 11-23-2012 01:52 PM

You're trying to "guide" the shifter when it doesn't need to. It guides itself. Thus you're hitting the gate and not entering in the gear.

To fix this, stop holding on to the shifter. Instead, for shifts towards your body, cup the top of the shift knob with your hand and pull towards you. For shifts away from your body, push the shift nob with the palm of your hand. This will stop and side-to-side motion that grabbing the shifter causes. It will naturally flow in to gear from there. Even during speed shifting.

mksz51 11-23-2012 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by NoXcape (Post 1582399798)
Thx Mks..i ll try that...what do you mean be Default 3-4?

if you put the vehicle in neutral and then pushed the shifter directly forward or pull it directly back it will go into 3rd or 4th gear, respectively. Think of 3 parallel gates - pull it left and you're in 1-2. Let it "center" naturally and you're in 3-4. Push it right and you're in 5-6.

shawn672 11-23-2012 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by JLMounce (Post 1582399854)
You're trying to "guide" the shifter when it doesn't need to. It guides itself. Thus you're hitting the gate and not entering in the gear.

To fix this, stop holding on to the shifter. Instead, for shifts towards your body, cup the top of the shift knob with your hand and pull towards you. For shifts away from your body, push the shift nob with the palm of your hand. This will stop and side-to-side motion that grabbing the shifter causes. It will naturally flow in to gear from there. Even during speed shifting.

This is a great description of what I was trying to say. :iagree:

Jimmy W1 11-23-2012 03:35 PM

Dealer time!!