CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C3 General (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c3-general-119/)
-   -   The Word Original (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c3-general/3171381-the-word-original.html)

news2me 11-22-2012 10:26 PM

The Word Original

I have a 77' thats completely stock with Numbers Matching Engine and Drive Train. The Interior is all Original. It only has 38,000 miles on it. Looking at the car it looks the way it left the factory. Yes, the brakes. belts, hoses, radiator and the other BS has been done over the last 35. The only things that has been changed on the car is an After Market Radio, The BF Goodrich Tires and a Repainted the Original Code 80 color about 12 years ago..... The question I have is I want to get a Show Board. And will it be fair to use the word "ORIGINAL" on the Show board, since I don't have the factory radio, tires and it's a repaint. But it is painted to code and tires needed to be replaced.... CAN I CALL IT "ORIGINAL"

exposingtime 11-22-2012 11:28 PM

Call it NCRS gold certified.

Just call it unrestored. Repaint is not a restoration to me. All of the others qualify as maintenance to me.

ptroxx 11-22-2012 11:47 PM

PICS...lets see pics of the car.in and out ..

Mike Ward 11-23-2012 12:43 AM

Since you already said 'numbers matching' which is pretty ambiguous, may as well use 'all original' too. :hide:

scottyp99 11-23-2012 02:41 AM

Here's what the dictionary has to say about the word "original". Let your conscience be your guide. I think you know the answer to your question, but you're looking for someone to tell you it's OK.

Keep the shiny side up!:rock:
Scott

Alan 71 11-23-2012 07:40 AM

Hi,
Just curious.... how can repainting a car NOT be restoration?
Regards,
Alan

stingr4y 11-23-2012 07:53 AM

Perhaps specify "original paint color", if you are concerned about it. I agree that the repaint could certainly be a restoration.

The radio and tires should be obvious though.

I tried making a sign for mine and gave up when I realized everything I put on there might be questioned somehow.

good luck

Tim H 11-23-2012 09:19 AM

I would rather have a car that someone kept up on maintenance than a pretty non original paint job.
Paint is a part number on the cowl tag so its part of the car and if the body has been repainted then its no longer original.
You might as well up grade the engine into the 21st century with some new belts and hose and add some mags and headers, it won't be worth any less.

Don Rickles 11-23-2012 09:33 AM

Exterior= repainted
Interior= replaced radio
Mechanical= belts, hoses, plugs, wires, filters, radiator, replaced
Chassis=Tires replaced, brakes, not much else mentioned? Shocks?

In all fairness to the all original car, what would be your answer?

WB

Mike Ward 11-23-2012 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by Alan 71 (Post 1582397727)
Hi,
Just curious.... how can repainting a car NOT be restoration?
Regards,
Alan

Not like you to be opening a can of worms Alan........:D

It could be argued that the paint, although possibly identical to the original colour applied by the OEM, is not the same type, manufacturer, method of application, level of gloss, etc. etc. etc.

I find the present NCRS flight judging rules to be very forgiving in this area.

gq82 11-23-2012 10:25 AM

On a show sign I would call it "Mostly Original".....a modern radio gives away the fact it's "All Original".

Brooklinite 11-23-2012 10:29 AM

'Original' is misused so frequently that it is basically meaningless.

Easy Mike 11-23-2012 10:32 AM

You can call it anything you want to. It's your car. Why not say it's original except for the aftermarket stereo? Better yet, put the stock radio back in it and you won't lose any sleep over what term you use.

:thumbs:

540 vette 11-23-2012 11:07 AM

I think original and 77 vette don't mean much. If you think it makes it worth more I don't think so. When I was looking for a vette to modify I chose a 77 because it will be another 75 years before they are a collector car.

I don't mean to burst your bubble if you were trying to keep it all original to keep any value. I would make it how I want it to be and not worry.

Easy Mike 11-23-2012 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by 540 vette (Post 1582398822)
...I think original and 77 vette don't mean much...

It means a lot to people who have original 77s.

:thumbs:

irvan 11-23-2012 11:24 AM

i can't remember who said it years ago but they are only original once, and i think that's before repaint, etc.

7T1vette 11-23-2012 11:31 AM

You can't call it "unrestored" if it's had another paint job. And, you can't call it a "survivor" since lots of parts have been changed due to age/wear and you have a different paint job.

Why don't you just say that it is in 'factory' configuration with the original interior and the same paint color.

P.S. I interpret the term "original" as meaning that a specific part/piece came with THAT car from the factory.

qwank 11-23-2012 11:47 AM

Just call it "stock"

AdamMeh 11-23-2012 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by qwank (Post 1582399120)
Just call it "stock"

:iagree: Seems more fitting given the changes / work that has been done. Would love to see pics of it!

Adam

vettebuyer6369 11-23-2012 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by scottyp99 (Post 1582397388)
Here's what the dictionary has to say about the word "original". Let your conscience be your guide. I think you know the answer to your question, but you're looking for someone to tell you it's OK.

I agree with this. Obviously a car thats been repainted is not "original" according the the English language we see mangled and misused every day. Replacing parts also is not original. This isn't a hard question.

Describe the car as "mostly original design," "stock configuration," etc. There's nothing stock about the radio. "Almost completely stock" seems like a pretty good description.

Clearly there's no rules and you can do whatever you want, but as Easy Mike pointed out, when you park next to someone who actually has an original car, you'll end up thinking about it.