CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C5 Scan & Tune (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-scan-and-tune-91/)
-   -   Data Logger/Scanner Phone Apps (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-scan-and-tune/3149794-data-logger-scanner-phone-apps.html)

C5Natie 10-17-2012 04:54 AM

Data Logger/Scanner Phone Apps

Wanted to ask if anyone here uses or has had any experience with any data logger apps for mobile devices? I just got the full version of 'Torque' on my android phone. It seemed like the best app with the most options. I also have aDyno so I guess I'll try it soon. Just waiting on the bluetooth obdII interface I ordered. If it all works, it should mean I will have a data logger and ecu scanner setup for a $20 investment. Oh, and it seems that you can transfer the saved logs to a pc.

Chicago1 10-17-2012 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by C5Natie (Post 1582097146)
Wanted to ask if anyone here uses or has had any experience with any data logger apps for mobile devices? I just got the full version of 'Torque' on my android phone. It seemed like the best app with the most options. I also have aDyno so I guess I'll try it soon. Just waiting on the bluetooth obdII interface I ordered. If it all works, it should mean I will have a data logger and ecu scanner setup for a $20 investment. Oh, and it seems that you can transfer the saved logs to a pc.

Is this just for logging? I was wondering also. My last car was a dsm and for 30 bucks a 20 dollar pda I could see what my car is doing. I would like to do the same with the vette. What app and cable are you using?

C5Natie 10-17-2012 07:51 PM

I'm using the Torque app, the full version. It's only $5. I just ordered a mini elm327 Bluetooth obdII interface.

apollo240 10-17-2012 08:03 PM

Badass! Let us know how it works. I would be very interested in this.

Chicago1 10-18-2012 12:03 AM

Originally Posted by C5Natie (Post 1582103126)
I'm using the Torque app, the full version. It's only $5. I just ordered a mini elm327 Bluetooth obdII interface.

And this will enable to log the car? knock timing fuel etc etc? Gonna check that app now.

C5Natie 10-18-2012 12:18 AM

Originally Posted by Chicago1 (Post 1582105211)
And this will enable to log the car? knock timing fuel etc etc? Gonna check that app now.

Yes, anything the ecu sees this app can log and more. When you select data log it sends the file to the companies server where you can look at it online. Also it is fully customizable to where you can select from dozens of areas for it to monitor as well as real time data as you drive (use it as gauges) Also has a boost gauge for FI guys and vacuum for us n/a cammed guys.

C5Natie 10-18-2012 12:23 AM

Theres many but here is a youtube review of the app,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xWee...eature=related

This is the mini interface I ordered. Since the obdII access port on the C5 is right under the steering column, I wanted the shortest one possible so I wouldnt hit with my legs since Im a taller driver.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/190734370103?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_t rksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

Chicago1 10-18-2012 12:55 AM

Dude that's exactlt what I have been looking for. I don't want to get hp tuners since a person like me has no buisness messing with stuff like that but I still want to look at my timing and stuff. I want to order that bt interface. Why isn't anyone selling this stuff? Would make a killing. When did you order? Should I wait or get that one? Freaking sweeet man

C5Natie 10-18-2012 01:23 AM

Originally Posted by Chicago1 (Post 1582105424)
Dude that's exactlt what I have been looking for. I don't want to get hp tuners since a person like me has no buisness messing with stuff like that but I still want to look at my timing and stuff. I want to order that bt interface. Why isn't anyone selling this stuff? Would make a killing. When did you order? Should I wait or get that one? Freaking sweeet man

I ordered the interface yesterday. The vendor is also here in CA so I should see it by Friday I hope. There are a couple of interfaces to choose from. I would buy one from a vendor in the US and closest to you, just to make shipping easier. You need the interface for the app to work so if youre gonna get the app I say just order the interface. If you wanna wait, I will post up how the one I ordered works with the app and car as soon as I get it.

Here is another popular interface,
http://www.ebay.com/itm/290716765171...84.m1438.l2649

These are the features I looked for, the protocol ones are most important.

• Works with all OBD-II compliant vehicles
  • Wireless (Bluetooth)5~10 meter
  • Software included for Windows PC
  • Support OBD-II protocols as follows:
    *ISO15765-4 (CAN)
    *ISO14230-4 (KWP2000)
    *ISO9141-2
    *J1850 VPW
    *J1850 PWM

C5Natie 10-18-2012 01:35 AM

The guy in this vid has the app on a Galaxy tablet. I think its pretty awesome and you can see all the gauges a lot better. Also gives you a better view of what the app does. I was thinking of getting a new phone but this 7in tablet with a data logging would be sweet.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C9H54...eature=related

Chicago1 10-18-2012 02:03 AM

Yeah let me know how this works. I'm stoked man keep us updated

C5Natie 10-19-2012 02:19 AM

Looks like the app has its own website and forum.

http://torque-bhp.com/

Chicago1 10-19-2012 10:07 AM

You should be getting yours today huh? Ill check that forum out. Any reason why you went with the one you bought vs the other?

C5Natie 10-19-2012 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by Chicago1 (Post 1582115952)
You should be getting yours today huh? Ill check that forum out. Any reason why you went with the one you bought vs the other?

Shipping info says Oct 20 but we'll see, sometimes its early. The interface I ordered seems smalller, so I wont hit it with my legs, and the vendor was closer to me.

Chicago1 10-19-2012 03:39 PM

What android version do you have?I have 2.3.4 and the wiki says I needed 3.0 or higher. My system shows both kernel and gingerbread. Grrrrr. Ill have to see what I can do about that.

C5Natie 10-19-2012 05:51 PM

Same here and kernel as well. A friend on another forum has it working on his phone version 2.3.4. I'll find out soon I guess.

C5Natie 10-19-2012 05:55 PM

I didnt see where it said it needed version 3.0. I had the lite version of torque for a long time and I know it worked with old versions 1.5 and 1.6. I think we'll be ok.

Chicago1 10-19-2012 07:22 PM

In the wiki under known good adapters on the very bottom states that but if it works with 1.5 and 1.6 then yeah should be golden. Maybe I'm reading it incorrectly.

C5Natie 10-20-2012 01:19 AM

Originally Posted by Chicago1 (Post 1582120545)
In the wiki under known good adapters on the very bottom states that but if it works with 1.5 and 1.6 then yeah should be golden. Maybe I'm reading it incorrectly.

I see now. That's only for interfaces that have USB capabilities and if you're gonna connect it to an android device with a USB. The interface I ordered doesn't have USB, it's only Bluetooth so it shouldn't matter.

C5Natie 10-20-2012 01:46 AM

Ok, I downloaded a couple plugins and they're pretty awesome. First is knock detector, it'll record any knock as you go wot. Next is Torque Scan, it scans all the all the readings that torque is seeing. You can go to the plugin and see every single reading real time. Track Recorder, allows you're mobile device to record video while displaying whatever gauges you want on the screen. Last was Racing Meter, it has a programmable shift lift, rpm led's while displaying rooms speed and gforces. I'm loving this app more and more and I haven't even used it yet. Lol. Hurry up mailman, I need my interface.

Chicago1 10-20-2012 10:49 AM

Nice and yeah your right about the usb so sweeeet. Where the plugins from the site or the market? I can finally see if I'm pulling timing and everything else

C5Natie 10-20-2012 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by Chicago1 (Post 1582124375)
Nice and yeah your right about the usb so sweeeet. Where the plugins from the site or the market? I can finally see if I'm pulling timing and everything else

The wiki section about plugins has a list of them. I wrote them down and simply searched them in the market. All are free except the race one with the shift light, its $3.

C5Natie 10-21-2012 12:19 AM

Damn USPS, they suck. Tracking says the package, my interface, was delivered yet I got nothing. There was a letter in my mailbox so I know they came by. WTH?!

Chicago1 10-21-2012 02:53 PM

Maybe tommorow but odd it said delivered yet nothng

C5Natie 10-22-2012 10:34 PM

Well, got the interface today but it wouldn't communicate with the vettes ecu. It did read my Chrysler 200 and worked well. The app mentioned that some of the eBay interfaces may have trouble communicating with a j1850 protocol, which is what ford and gm use. So, they're sending me another more popular unit. Hope this one works.

Chicago1 10-23-2012 08:28 AM

Dang that sucks. Glad I waited but let us know how the new one goes.

crimlwC6 10-23-2012 07:20 PM

I've been using Torque for awhile. Here is a video using my C6. I've been trying to run Trackmaster on my bionic while using my old 1st Gen Droid for Torque. So far I've not been having much luck but you can see that it works quite well.
I use the more expensive Kiwi bluetooth, about $80 IIRC.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Locd...wkvtf56X1WRAnQ

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/2LocdcRutJM?list=UUdHcQ3hGlwkvtf56X1WRAn Q&amp;hl=en_US" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

C5Natie 10-24-2012 10:43 PM

https://www.google.com/search?q=elm3...WVrzNZsIJZBUM:

Well I got the new interface in and it worked. App works good so far. Able to see quite a bit of data. Gonna do more driving tomorrow to keep testing. Like what I'm seeing so far.

Chicago1 10-24-2012 11:48 PM

are you able to see everything or just some stuff? Which one did he end up sending you so I can order one up? Thanks

C5Natie 10-25-2012 12:22 AM

http://i1164.photobucket.com/albums/...e/IMAG0868.jpg
http://i1164.photobucket.com/albums/...e/IMAG0869.jpg

So far Ive looked at speed, rpms, timing, intake temps, water temps, gear selection, hp/tq, throttle position, engine load and I did a knock detection test. I test a data log while cruising on the fwy just to see how to pull it up on the site and what it looks like. The only issue I had was finding the right passkey to pair it to my my phone via bluetooth. Most are "1234" or "0000". This one was "6789", just a heads up.

Chicago1 10-25-2012 11:26 AM

Edit: I found it in his ebay store. Going to order one up. Thanks man

C5Natie 10-26-2012 12:23 PM

I took a quick vid reviewing theapp with vette in case it helps. Ill post them up in a bit.

C5Natie 10-26-2012 02:32 PM

Not the greatest vids but in case it helps...

Part 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e1bruKHV9wM

Part 2,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYy3X...hannel&list=UL

Chicago1 10-29-2012 11:22 PM

Got mine today my code was 1234. This thing is awesome going to purchase the full app. Sucks my phone screen is small. Gonna have to dowload this on the laptop. Which paramter are you looking at for 02's? Bank 1 2 3 or 4? I tried all and it just flucuates from .4 to sometimes .5. Always felt my o2s were not reading or cycling very very slow or not hooked up correctly but no codes. I messed with it for about 5 mins before my son came out to get me. Wish I still had my tablet. Will have to check that forum. I hope the pro version has knock readings. Thanks for this I spent a total of 21 bucks. Most people spend hundreds for this info

C5Natie 10-30-2012 12:34 AM

Oxygen sensors Bank 1 Sensor 1 and Bank 2 Sensor 1. .4v-.5v is normal at idle. It should go up with throttle and wot should max them at .9v. They will fluctuate at anything less then around 3/4 throttle, basically like a narrow band. Use the chart below as a reference. I just like reading a narrow band afr, actually a narrow band guage just reads the o2's. Its mostly for when you're wot. I got it from www.dynotunenitrous.com, they make many high quality gauges.

Gasoline
Meter Reading-Air/Fuel Ratio

.000mv 17.0:1
.100mv 17.0:1
.200mv 16.0:1
.300mv 15.5:1
.400mv 15.0:1
.500mv 14.7:1
.600mv Dangerously lean 14.6:1
.700mv Getting Lean 14.5:1
.800mv Max power (Lean) normally aspirated 14.2:1
.875mv Max power normally aspirated 13.5:1
.900mv Max power (Rich) (NOS, Blower, Turbo) 13.2:1
1.000v Very rich 12.5:1

You can go to the track recorder, pick the o2's as two of your gauges and go for a spirited drive or at least a quick wot. Then you can look at the vid to determine where youre air fuel ratio is based on the o2's. Ive compared the reading to my wide band gauge and theyre spot on.

C5Natie 10-30-2012 12:38 AM

The Pro version reads misfires and timing. Also download the plugin "Knock Detector". Its free and will automatically show up on the Torque App. You just go full throttle and it will scan for any knock or detonation while also showing coolant and intake temps.

Happy to hear the app is working well for you.

Chicago1 10-30-2012 08:50 AM

Cool thanks for the tip. I downloaded the app this am and drove teh car to work. Hopefully on my break I can mess with it. Going to check out the forum also. This thing is great!!! More people should know about it thanks again for everything. :cheers:

Neckhole 10-30-2012 03:32 PM

Hey C5Natie,

I've had Torque for awhile (used it with my old car, an RX-8). I hooked it up over this weekend to my '02 C5 Z06 and I'm not getting any readings for knock, or the front O2's like you are and I'd really like to get to those.

Did you have to do anything special to configure to get Torque to work with your 'vette? Any special configurations or settings?

Thanks for the videos and the post, they were really helpful.

Chicago1 10-30-2012 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by Neckhole (Post 1582207593)
Hey C5Natie,

I've had Torque for awhile (used it with my old car, an RX-8). I hooked it up over this weekend to my '02 C5 Z06 and I'm not getting any readings for knock, or the front O2's like you are and I'd really like to get to those.

Did you have to do anything special to configure to get Torque to work with your 'vette? Any special configurations or settings?

Download the plugin. As far as 02's your not seeing it cycle or not seeing it at all?

Neckhole 10-30-2012 03:49 PM

When you look in Torque, the available sensors (either on your car, or from your phone) show up in a greenish color and display their most recent value.

All of my O2's show up with the black background and through the Torque Scan plug-in, all say "No Data received" which makes me think that the something's goofy in my configuration.

It's been awhile since I data logged anything, but I'd like to data log knock if at all possible, will I be able to datalog knock if I get that additional plug-in? My experience with other cars makes me think that knock would be available out-of-the-box. The plug-in is free, so I'll grab it. It can't hurt :)

For what it's worth, my adapter is the PLX Kiwi Bluetooth

C5Natie 10-30-2012 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by Neckhole (Post 1582207593)
Hey C5Natie,

Glad the vids helped. Youre right, the o2's should show up highlighted green. I also made a vehicle profile specific for the vette. If you have multiple vehicle profiles make sure youre on the right one. If the app doesnt show any o2's then it might be a communication problem between the sensors and the ecu, if all other readings are showing. Theres a chance it could be the interface. If all checks out with the car you can buy another interface to make sure. Worst case youre only out $15. For the knock, download knock detector. If you did and went full throttle with no knock reading then thats a good thing.

Try the torque scan plugin and see if the app is reading the o2's.

C5Natie 10-30-2012 04:23 PM

If youre looking for a gauge reading the actual knock detectors, i dont think the app has one. You can look at your timing and if youre familiar with your tune you can go off of that. The knock detector plugin should show you tho if the knock sensors pick up any detonation at wot.

Neckhole 10-30-2012 04:30 PM

Yeah, that's really weird. None of the O2 sensors are showing up as available with the green-highlight. I'll have to look again.

Is there anything specific in the Vehicle Profile that you set? There are a couple settings in there that I was curious about:
  • There's one called Use Alternate OBD Header, which I have unchecked.
  • And a second about the preferred OBD2 Protocol, which I've got set to "Automatic - Thorough Protocol Scan" at the moment.

As far as knock goes, I might email the plugin author to see how he's calculating that. My guess is he's polling the TPS and Timing Advance somehow, if timing advance is being retarded then it's probably safe to assume knock has been detected. I'm just used to pulling knock directly from the ECU, but I've never tried it on a Corvette before

C5Natie 10-30-2012 04:35 PM

Auto protocol should be ok thats what i have it set to. Try the alt header, restart app and see if it reads them, I havent tried it. Try looking at torque scan to make sure the app is reading the sensors. Should say recieving data iirc. The car must on tho.

C5Natie 10-30-2012 04:38 PM

Also under plugin settings, select allow plugins full access.

Neckhole 10-30-2012 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by C5Natie (Post 1582208079)
Also under plugin settings, select allow plugins full access.

Cool, I just set that earlier. Thanks ;)

Neckhole 10-30-2012 04:41 PM

I'll have to give it another try, I've been using Torque for a couple weeks and haven't seen any data from the O2 sensors at all.

I used Torque on another car for quite awhile. I wonder if there's something incompatible because of my past settings. To be safe, I wiped the app's data, uninstalled it and re-installed it. That should take care of any past settings.

I assume that if the O2 sensors were bad or if the ECU couldn't talk to them at all, I'd have some sort of Check-Engine-Light. But you never know, I bought the car used so some lurking issue might be out there.

When I've got some more time this week, I'll tinker around with these settings and let you guys know what (if anything) I had to do to get this working correctly.

Again, thanks a bunch for all your help! I really appreciate it.

T_Vert 08-27-2013 10:05 PM

guys, are any of you successfully using this adapter? Or all using the larger ones?

Chicago1 08-27-2013 11:31 PM

Originally Posted by T_Vert (Post 1584778662)
guys, are any of you successfully using this adapter? Or all using the larger ones?
Amazon.com: V1.5 Super Mini ELM327 Bluetooth OBD2 OBD-II CAN-BUS Diagnostic Scanner Tool: Everything Else

I'm using this one
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Auto-ELM327-V1-5-Interface-Bluetooth-OBD-2-OBD-II-Car-Diagnostic-Auto-Scanner-/230914902258?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35c399c8f2#ht_3468wt_1255

T_Vert 08-28-2013 11:27 AM

Thanks I grabbed one of those also. No idea why the mini elm327 wont work but this one does. Wish It wasn't so large.

Dave

Chicago1 08-28-2013 04:18 PM

Yeah the one you posted won't work I thought that was in here somewhere that it was one that was no good. I haven't had any issues with this one and worked flawless.

T_Vert 08-29-2013 12:56 AM

Quite odd, that mini works on all my other cars, just not the vette. I did purchase the larger one but seems a bit large to have hanging there.

Dave

duramaxsky 08-29-2013 01:02 AM

:thumbs:

Chicago1 08-29-2013 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by T_Vert (Post 1584788959)
Quite odd, that mini works on all my other cars, just not the vette. I did purchase the larger one but seems a bit large to have hanging there.

Dave

You won't notice it or see it. I actually forgot about mine untill I seen this thread and went to check if it was still there.