CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   Great Lakes (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/great-lakes-43/)
-   -   2013 Corvettes on Woodward (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/great-lakes/3136596-2013-corvettes-on-woodward.html)

stuart75 07-17-2013 01:50 PM

What time on 8/14 do you meet and what time do you leave to cruise down Woodward from the Radisson? Is there a fundraising aspect to the Corvette cruise? I have seen it in the past and would like to take part.

stuart75 07-17-2013 02:00 PM

When are the Corvettes meeting on 8/14 and when are they planning on cruising? Will you be raising money for the food pantry with that event?
OPEN HANDS FOOD PANTRY
c/o
My address is
28299 Bunert
Warren, Michigan 48088

Dreamcruiser1977 07-19-2013 03:47 PM

Corvettes on Woodward update July 19

WELCOME TO CORVETTES ON WOODWARD
DRIVE2ENDHUNGER
SUPPORTING THE OPEN HANDS FOOD PANTRY
Larry & Verna Courtney organizers
Our host hotel is:
Currently filled call for late cancellations
Radisson/Kingsley
39475 Woodward Avenue
Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
248-644-1400
Room rate code COW 13
Contact Dana

Our back up hotel is 5 minutes away:
Somerset Inn
2601 West Big Beaver Road
Troy. Michigan 48084
248-643-2287
Room rate code Woodward Cruise
Contact Bill Clark
Rate 85.00 per night

TOURS
Wednesday August 14

The fun begins with a tour of GM’s Private Museum, the GM Heritage Center
6400 Center Drive
Sterling Heights, Michigan
10 AM Only
One tour this year unless I get enough requests for a later tour. The tour begins at 10 AM but there is no rush to leave so take lots of pictures
Cost 10.00 per person cash only please
Bring your camera and take lots of pictures

The GM North American Heritage Collection is made up of approximately 600 cars and trucks. Concept cars and special-interest styling/performance one-offs are part of the mix, along with significant race cars and milestone production vehicles. The GM Heritage Collection is ever-changing. New vehicles are constantly being obtained to fully represent GM's product story of the past 100+ years.

When you leave the Heritage Center, head over to the Radisson Hotel. The lot will open at noon. This is the reason you are here. There will be a 50/50 drawing, Cauley Performance Automotive will have a truck there for food donations for people that don’t want to cruise to the Open Hands Food Pantry. Corvette Central will have catalogs to hand out. Galli Sports Apparel has you shirt and jacket and will personalize just for you. They are my favorite for shirts and jackets. Cruis’News will b e giving out “I Cruised Wooward” signs. I will have information on the 2014 National Corvette Caravan.
The police will show up at 7 PM to block off Woodward so we can all get out of the parking lot. A five dollar donation is collected to offset expenses. The hotel then donates any excess collected. A special raffle ticket will be issued at the entrance. There will also be dash plaques for the first 250 Corvettes courtesy of Ed Duprey, Great Lakes Trophies, 32635 Ford Road, Garden City, Michigan.

Thursday August 15

Lingenfelter Collection
7819 Lochlin Drive
Brighton, Michigan
Time TBA usually an AM tour
Please call me to reserve your spot on this favorite tour. This tour limited to 100 people. Please don’t just show up. People just showing up almost cancelled all tours. Remember this is a private collection. Call me to reserve your spot. If your name is not on the list you may be turned away. 586-876-6923 Ken Lingenfelter asks for a donation to his charities. Usually we give 10.00 per person.

GM Performance Build Center
Unfortunately this Open House is cancelled. There are only ten people working there now as the rest of production has moved to Bowling Green. The engine build will be added to the factory tour at a later date.

Friday August 16 10 AM
Webber Wildlife Museum
44710 Morely Drive
Clinton Township, Michigan.
Everyone that went here last year asked that I arrange a visit again.
The Webber Wildlife Museum is a privately owned collection of approximately 140 life size mounts of animals taken from Mexico, through the Southwestern United States, from the regions of the Rocky Mountains and Western Canada, from the Arctic, to Spain, Austria, and Africa. The museum was created by the finest Wildlife Artists in the country. Each animal was specifically positioned into its respective diorama to represent its native environment. The artisans then designed the entire museum flowing from one area of the world to another. To see this vast collection of animals in one private museum is truly a rare opportunity.

Katech Friday August 16 1 PM
24324 Sorrentino Court
Clinton Township, Michigan
Tours limit 24 people please call to reserve spot 586-876-6923

Katech was founded in 1977 by Fritz Kayl and Warren Frieze. The Clinton Township company provides their customers with innovative products and cutting edge technologies in the areas of engine design, prototyping, testing, R&D, manufacturing, and vehicle modifications. Katech moved to their current facility in 1986 and have expanded three times to over 30,000 square feet between three buildings.

Katech’s racing engines have won many races and championships in IROC, Trans-Am, IRL, ALMS, SCCA Pro, Grand-Am, FIA GT, including winning the NASCAR “Engine Builder of the Year” award from 1995 to 1997 and the “GlobalMotorsports Engine of the Year” in 2006.

Katech’s engines have also powered the famous GM Corvette Racing team which has dominated the U.S. and global GT racing circuit by capturing six championships and won the legendary 24 Hours of LeMans six times over enormous competition from Aston Martin, BMW, Dodge, Ferrari, Ford, Lamborghini, etc. Their engines have powered many champions including, A.J. Foyt, Dale Earnhart, Dale Earnhart Jr., Jimmy Johnson, Johnny O’Connell, and Ron Fellows. Their experience and knowledge gained in motorsports have allowed them to perfect their streetperformance product line.

The company’s Macomb County location gives them access to many area clients, including General Motors, Ford, Chrysler, Mahle, Federal Mogul, AVL, FEV, Ricardo, and the U.S. Army. Their passion for engines extends beyond the automotive industry by providing specialty engines for the motorcycle, marine, industrial, and military industries globally.

Stahl Automotive Foundation Friday
56516 North Bay Drive
Chesterfield, Michigan
OPEN HOUSE FREE 1-4 PM
Stahl’s Automotive Foundation was created to build an appreciation for history. Our mission is to educate, motivate and inspire young people with a passion and appreciation for vintage vehicles and help them to understand their contribution to the development of the car industry as well as their impact on society, history and everyday life.

The Stahls Automotive Foundation is a 501(c)3 non-profit organization that exists in order to preserve, restore and exhibit specific vintage vehicles of the 20th century for educational purposes.

Every one of our vintage cars and vehicles demonstrates special creativity and imagination in its engineering and design. Each car was chosen based on the engineering achievements that made it an important part of the evolution of the automobile. The Stahls Automotive collection features continually changing exhibitions or historically significant cars from the Depression and Art Deco eras, along with automobile memorabilia.

A visit to the Stahls Automotive Foundation will take you back to a time in history when cars were more than just a way to take us from point A to point B. Gain a better understanding of how the automobile developed from a novelty to a main form of transportation. In addition to the beautiful cars, enjoy the collection of gas pumps, road signs, oil cans and other car-related accessories from the Depression era.

I am looking for additional places of interest to add on.

We hope to see you all again.

Larry & Verna Courtney
vjnlcsvette@aol.com
586-876-6923

Dadman1950 07-31-2013 10:59 AM

If you are into Corvettes you've gotta be into this event!

mikeCsix 08-05-2013 11:19 PM

What a great series of events. I would have loved to come to the GM Heritage Museum, just spent some time looking over their website which brought back a lot of memories. My family used to ice skate on some of the ponds at the Tech Center and of course seeing the Mako Shark again would have been fabulous. My father was a retired engineer in the Manufacturing and Development section at the Tech Center.

I'm flying out from Seattle to visit family and would like to find the GM section for the Woodward Cruise (spent way too many nights Cruising and racing on Woodward in the late '60's), can anyone enlighten me as to where I might be able to see one during the event? The best I've been able to come up with so far is in Birmingham along the section of Old Woodward triangle.

Thanks again, Hope you folks have a terrific turnout.

Mike

Dreamcruiser1977 08-07-2013 09:02 AM

Mike, Why don't you join me at the GM Heritage Center? GM traditionally sets up in the triangle but last year also had a display at 13 Mile and Woodward.

JR. 08-07-2013 04:45 PM

we might bring a ZR1 or two over from chicago..

i assume that the "Katech Friday August 16 1 PM" event is full.

mikeCsix 08-07-2013 05:29 PM

Larry,
Thanks so much for your generous offer, I don't arrive in Detroit until late on the 15th so won't be able to make the Heritage Museum run you have planned.

Thank you also for pointing out where GM will set up. I'll be sure to cruise both locations, well walk may be a better term. I attended a Dream Cruise a few years ago, the traffic was crazy and the cars were awesome!

Dreamcruiser1977 08-07-2013 07:42 PM

Mike, I sent you a PM

PEETYZ 08-09-2013 12:45 PM

A group of us will be staying at the Somerset inn!

I think our group will be going with you all?

I hear we have katech and Lingenfelter on thurs and GM heritage on Friday though?

Maybe I am mixed up. Definitely looking forward to seeing what the corvette crew does at woodward!

JR. 08-09-2013 01:04 PM

hey Peetyz,

i have a reservation at Somerset as well..

Originally Posted by PEETYZ (Post 1584629426)
A group of us will be staying at the Somerset inn!

I think our group will be going with you all?

I hear we have katech and Lingenfelter on thurs and GM heritage on Friday though?

Maybe I am mixed up. Definitely looking forward to seeing what the corvette crew does at woodward!

PEETYZ 08-09-2013 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by JR. (Post 1584629583)
hey Peetyz,

i have a reservation at Somerset as well..

Bring them! I think the Katech event for Friday may be full.

I had to submit my name earlier this week for the ones we are going on. I am not organizing the group so i'm not sure what spots are full or open.

Dreamcruiser1977 08-09-2013 08:04 PM

You are all set to go to Katech on Friday. See you soon.

IdleCap 08-12-2013 01:45 PM

See you Wednesday!

Corvetteblog.com 08-12-2013 04:44 PM

2013 Corvettes on Woodward Food Pantry Donations

For those attending Larry Courtney's fantastic Corvettes On Woodward event on Wednesday 8/14/13, don't forget to bring along a donation for the Open Hands Food Pantry.

It provides emergency food and toiletries to residents of Oakland County, the county through which the Woodward Dream Cruise meanders.

Here are some of the pantry's biggest needs:
  • Peanut Butter
  • Tuna
  • Cereal
  • Macaroni and Cheese
  • Soup
  • Dried Beans, Peas, Lentils
  • Toothpaste
  • Toothbrushes
  • Deodorant
  • Dish Soap
Drop your items off at the Matick Chevrolet van located in the Radisson Hotel's parking lot.

Enjoy a great outing!

Dreamcruiser1977 08-12-2013 05:10 PM

Let the countdown begin. Somerset Inn is full, Radisson is full. Ca;; me for hotel help.

PEETYZ 08-12-2013 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by Dreamcruiser1977 (Post 1584654450)
Let the countdown begin. Somerset Inn is full, Radisson is full. Ca;; me for hotel help.

Awesome! :rock: Can't wait

71Pantera 08-12-2013 05:36 PM

I arrive to MI today to rain. That is ok my Z06 needed a bath anyway. See you all soon!

Jimmy C-6 08-12-2013 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by Corvetteblog.com (Post 1584654231)
For those attending Larry Courtney's fantastic Corvettes On Woodward event on Wednesday 8/14/13, don't forget to bring along a donation for the Open Hands Food Pantry.

It provides emergency food and toiletries to residents of Oakland County, the county through which the Woodward Dream Cruise meanders.

Here are some of the pantry's biggest needs:
  • Peanut Butter
  • Tuna
  • Cereal
  • Macaroni and Cheese
  • Soup
  • Dried Beans, Peas, Lentils
  • Toothpaste
  • Toothbrushes
  • Deodorant
  • Dish Soap
Drop your items off at the Matick Chevrolet van located in the Radisson Hotel's parking lot.

Enjoy a great outing!

I'll bring a case of tooth brushes, along with a check!

SK360 08-13-2013 09:26 AM

Wont be there for any of the week events but I'm sure I'll run into some of you Friday night and Saturday on Woodward.