CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C7 General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion-142/)
-   -   The new Corvette Ferrari (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion/3092105-the-new-corvette-ferrari.html)

ZeekDuff 07-19-2012 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by McGirk94LT1 (Post 1581357395)
100% they can improve the quality of the seats. 2 of the best seats I've ever sat in AND were GM products are the GTO's and the later c4's(who I just recently found out the seats were designed and made by Lear). Any company can put good seats in a car, its just a matter of trying. I know the torque tube tunnel being too wide seems to come up a lot, but I've seen at least a few guys swap viper seats into their c5's. Excellent sport seats can happen, and I think it's finally expected this time around.

Precisely. EVERY person who talks about Corvettes and specifically what's expected of the new C7s, talks about improving the seats as well as the overall interiors. I sure hope someone from GM who has some influence reads this stuff, because it's very obvious that all of us who would or could be likely to buy a new C7 are holding out hope for these improvements, most feeling these things should have been in place long ago. I also hope they spend the money to get a seat at least as good as mine, the seats with a single lumber adjustment are invariably too far up on my back (as is my Toyota van's), and the dual lumbar setup on my Vette's seat fits me perfectly. At 5'8", I'm perhaps a little shorter than average, and it's difficult to get a "one size fits all" seat made. I've sat in Recaro seats and found them uncomfortable, because I couldn't loosen the side bolsters, and the lumbar support was too high on my back, AND they were hard. And, they're supposed to be the best? Not for me. The only improvement to my seats would be softer leather, that's it, period. If GM is going to make these improvements, great; but I also hope they get rid of the "stuck on black" areas of the dash & doors. That just ruins the whole interior for me, I just plain hate it. As I said, we'll see, but also as I said, I hope they are listening to us!!! :banghead:

Best regards,
...z

John T 07-19-2012 09:25 PM

Speaking of interiors, I was around 9 years old when I sat in a 68 Corvette . Well I am still at loss for words.. Ferraris and Lambos interiors paled in comparison . C3's interiors can still hold their own.

Wire5150 07-24-2012 01:34 PM

The lines may be that same somewhat however, you can still tell that its a vette and the ferrari is the ferrari. Renderings are just that and not the final outcome of the production model. I had visited the local dealer before even looking at this rendering.

The dealership owner was at hand here in Texas and made tha following statement>

2013 GM is bringing back the Z06 as previously offered back in C5 versions eliminating the hatch back style like the Grand Sport, the new Z06 will look just like the convertable however, as a hardtop other body lines will be very similiar except for a few slight changes to the front-end.

The Z06 may even be available in a removable hard top version.

Coupe (Z06)
Hatch Back
Conv.

Are the models that will be available.

rcallen484 07-24-2012 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by Wire5150 (Post 1581393449)
2013 GM is bringing back the Z06 as previously offered back in C5 versions eliminating the hatch back style like the Grand Sport, the new Z06 will look just like the convertable however, as a hardtop other body lines will be very similiar except for a few slight changes to the front-end.

The coupe configuration provides a great deal of useable space for me. I also like its body lines. The convertible is, well, it is a convertible. I see nothing good about a non-hatchback hard top but have no problem whatsoever if that is what someone else wants.

vant 07-24-2012 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by rcallen484 (Post 1581393988)
The coupe configuration provides a great deal of useable space for me. I also like its body lines. The convertible is, well, it is a convertible. I see nothing good about a non-hatchback hard top but have no problem whatsoever if that is what someone else wants.

It's too bad that you can't see anything good about the non-hatchback hardtop.

For one thing, it's lighter than the hatchback version since it uses less glass and less hardware. It also lowers the center of gravity. Eh, but that only improves performance, so nevermind.

I've heard this argument about a great deal of "useable" space before and it makes me wonder how many of them have ever actually loaded up the trunk of a C5 FRC/Z06? It has a lot more cargo space than you probably realize.

Besides, what exactly do you stuff in your hatchback that can't fit in a trunk? A lawnmower? One extra dead Vegas hooker? ... umm not that I've tried that or anything. :leaving:

In any case, I'm sure that you have nothing to worry about. They'll continue making a hatchback version of the Corvette. The pack-rats would throw a fit otherwise. Although, if the renderings are accurate, it won't have the same wrapped-glass greenhouse design that's been used continually since the late 1970's. It'll be interesting to see how well that change is received by the traditionalists.

rcallen484 07-24-2012 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by vant (Post 1581395109)

For one thing, it's lighter than the hatchback version since it uses less glass and less hardware. It also lowers the center of gravity. Eh, but that only improves performance, so nevermind.

I've heard this argument about a great deal of "useable" space before and it makes me wonder how many of them have ever actually loaded up the trunk of a C5 FRC/Z06? It has a lot more cargo space than you probably realize.

Besides, what exactly do you stuff in your hatchback that can't fit in a trunk? A lawnmower? One extra dead Vegas hooker? ... umm not that I've tried that or anything. :leaving:

In any case, I'm sure that you have nothing to worry about. They'll continue making a hatchback version of the Corvette. The pack-rats would throw a fit otherwise. Although, if the renderings are accurate, it won't have the same wrapped-glass greenhouse design that's been used continually since the late 1970's. It'll be interesting to see how well that change is received by the traditionalists.

Well, you are certainly one fine piece of work! Proud of yourself are ya?

jackhall99 07-24-2012 05:08 PM

I, for one, really like the FRC body. To my senses, it is one of the best looking Corvettes ever produced. :yesnod:

I would enjoy having one today, but not sure about dropping back six years, and a lot more miles on the clock. :cheers:

ZeekDuff 07-24-2012 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by jackhall99 (Post 1581395390)
I, for one, really like the FRC body. To my senses, it is one of the best looking Corvettes ever produced. :yesnod:

I would enjoy having one today, but not sure about dropping back six years, and a lot more miles on the clock. :cheers:

I'd like to see a retractible hardtop like the Ferrari California & others, it's been so hot here, I have to keep the top up during the day or bake. Be nice to have a tighter fit, then more easily drop it in the evening for fresh, cool air... :thumbs:

Best regards,
...z

jackhall99 07-24-2012 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by ZeekDuff (Post 1581395441)
I'd like to see a retractible hardtop like the Ferrari California & others, it's been so hot here, I have to keep the top up during the day or bake. Be nice to have a tighter fit, then more easily drop it in the evening for fresh, cool air... :thumbs:

Best regards,
...z

:thumbs:

I believe the FRC is truly attractive. The body style would be readily adaptable to a retractable hardtop, ala the style of the Miata. :cheers:

Dominic Sorresso 07-24-2012 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by John T (Post 1581359496)
Speaking of interiors, I was around 9 years old when I sat in a 68 Corvette . Well I am still at loss for words.. Ferraris and Lambos interiors paled in comparison . C3's interiors can still hold their own.

John,

SO TRUE. I had a 72 and loved the instrumentation. Two big pods in front of driver and a great gauge cluster in the center stack. It was so cool at night.

Racer X 07-24-2012 05:54 PM

I have loaded up the trunk of a 2001 Z06. I also put a large CRT TV in the back of 1990 model coupe. I can assure you that the hatchback could hold things the Z06 could not.

Of course I was a young single guy when I had the 90 (got it in 89). When I had the 2001 I was married and we had an SUV to go along with it. So my need for something that could carry something that boxy was elimnated.

The FRC/Convertible styly trunk does work for every one all the time. You could rent a truck for that 2 days a year that you needed to haul something. Most people have "friend" they could borrow a truck from.

rcallen484 07-24-2012 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by jackhall99 (Post 1581395602)
the style of the Miata.

Really? no, REALLY? :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

BlueOx 07-24-2012 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by ZeekDuff (Post 1581395441)

Best regards,
...z

Retractables take up a LOT of trunk space. The Caddy XLR had very little trunk space with the top down.

McGirk94LT1 07-24-2012 09:19 PM

Uh, what?!? Apples to apples, the hardtop c5 weighs a couple pounds less then a c5 coupe. Keep in mind, didn't the hardtop at least originally not come with fog lights and a couple other things? Compare them option to option and its not nearly a big enough difference to make a fuss about. Now had they put cloth seats and cut some other things like originally planed, yeah, it might have been a big deal. Lowers center of gravity?!? Yeah, because the glass on the coupe is so tall that it takes a toll on handling... The c5z was lighter because of all the other weight saving measures that had nothing to do with being a hardtop.

The hardtop's one advantage was its stiffness, combined with all hardtop were z51's to boot. Since the z06 zr1 were fixed roofs, it had all the advantages of the c5z but retained the fastback's room. The quick drop off window of the c5z is actually worse for aerodynamics(but that hurts performance so lets add it right? ). Thus, saying there's gonna be a c5 style fixed roof coupe is a bunch of nonsense. It makes no sense to take a step back.

Myself, I like em, but I think I'd take a fastback if given the choice between identical frc and z51 targa.

Dudeurgettnavette 07-24-2012 09:41 PM

Yeah just with a plastic interior

Wire5150 07-24-2012 11:05 PM

I agree on the FRC holding power is greater however, the FRC is not a preferred choice. I for one only drive my vette for pure enjoyment and not as an everyday driver limiting the milage I place on it.

I definately wouldn't go loading it up with grocery and LCD TV's.........lmao With the newer versions they have improved the appearance of them in the areas of stremlined.

rcallen484 07-24-2012 11:09 PM

Originally Posted by Wire5150 (Post 1581398531)
I agree on the FRC holding power is greater however, the FRC is not a preferred choice. I for one only drive my vette for pure enjoyment and not as an everyday driver limiting the milage I place on it.

I definately wouldn't go loading it up with grocery and LCD TV's.........lmao

When I go on fun Corvette trips (daytrips and longer) I often like to take a friend AND my 60 lb chow-chow. That is only possible in the hatchback.

CaryKen 07-24-2012 11:39 PM

Originally Posted by Wire5150 (Post 1581398531)

I definately wouldn't go loading it up with grocery and LCD TV's.........lmao With the newer versions they have improved the appearance of them in the areas of stremlined.

Different people, different needs. My 2000 FRC has 104,000 miles on it. It moved two people from California to North Carolina with all the belongings we needed for the trip that weren't in the moving van.

I drive it to the grocery store, Home Depot, and the nursery (plants, not the kid's room upstairs). People are constantly amazed at what we can get in the back of that thing!

The one big loading problem is long items like poles and ladders. The flat trunk opening means you can't just lay in a long rigid item.

vant 07-24-2012 11:43 PM

:hide:

Originally Posted by McGirk94LT1 (Post 1581397552)
Uh, what?!? Apples to apples, the hardtop c5 weighs a couple pounds less then a c5 coupe.

More like 75 lbs for the FRC and 125 lbs for the Z06. Just saying.

Keep in mind, didn't the hardtop at least originally not come with fog lights and a couple other things? Compare them option to option and its not nearly a big enough difference to make a fuss about. Now had they put cloth seats and cut some other things like originally planed, yeah, it might have been a big deal.

Dunno. I’m sure you’re right. But I was only focusing on the weight of the glass, hatch and related hardware, not the total weight of each car.

Lowers center of gravity?!? Yeah, because the glass on the coupe is so tall that it takes a toll on handling...

Yup. Why else would track enthusiasts swap out the rear glass with lexan? Remember, it’s not just the weight itself that matters, but the location as well. The farther away you are from the center of gravity, the more you affect the dynamic characteristics of that body. If you can reduce the weight in that location by half, it can be significant.

The c5z was lighter because of all the other weight saving measures that had nothing to do with being a hardtop.

So the deletion of hardware, hinges, supporting structural elements for the targa and hatch and of course the smaller pane of glass couldn’t possibly have contributed to the C5Z’s reduction in overall weight? Are you sure about that?

The hardtop's one advantage was its stiffness, combined with all hardtop were z51's to boot. Since the z06 zr1 were fixed roofs, it had all the advantages of the c5z but retained the fastback's room. The quick drop off window of the c5z is actually worse for aerodynamics(but that hurts performance so lets add it right? ).

You’re correct. But do you know to what degree it really affects the aero? Not nearly as much as some people seem to believe.

Thus, saying there's gonna be a c5 style fixed roof coupe is a bunch of nonsense. It makes no sense to take a step back.

Finally, something that I can really agree with. But then again, I wasn’t the one who made that claim.

Myself, I like em, but I think I'd take a fastback if given the choice between identical frc and z51 targa.

Fair enough.

range96 07-24-2012 11:48 PM

Originally Posted by CaryKen (Post 1581398776)
...can't just lay in a long rigid item.

Really?