CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C3 General (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c3-general-119/)
-   -   FleaBay Insanity - $510+ bolts !!! (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c3-general/3090707-fleabay-insanity-510-bolts.html)

~Stingray 07-15-2012 09:02 AM

What makes these bolts so expensive? The auction went for over 800.

Indiancreek 07-15-2012 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by scottyp99 (Post 1581297795)
Ya know, it's guys like this, who have more money than brains, that artificially inflate the price of things, and make life more difficult for guys like us, who don't have a money tree growing in the backyard. Look at Barrett-Jackson, it's the reason you see rusty old station wagons in the classified ads for completely outrageous amounts of money. It's like if a guy brought his wife flowers every day; he's just making all of our lives more difficult, once your wife finds out about it.

Keep the shiny side up!:rock
Scott

That's funny

Roughrider 07-15-2012 12:02 PM

My '69 427/435 is all numbers matching and just about all correct. After seeing what those bolts went for I thought I might take the bolts from my car and put them on Ebay...replacement bolts from Corvette Central are like six bucks...I can't see how I could lose on the deal.

Yesterday I checked my car...the bolts aren't even there! The only thing holding down the air cleaner base is the wing nut on the top...which is really all it needs.

Maybe the seller of those bolts snuck in my garage and removed the ones from my car! :rofl:

joewill 07-15-2012 01:33 PM

too bad ebay won't let you see the bidders anymore.. you could send a email to the runner up bidder, who bid 852$, if you had a set of these.

Gars 07-17-2012 05:52 PM

P. T. Barnum said it best. :rofl:

pauldana 07-17-2012 06:17 PM

Completely without words

But I'm laughing my ass off

68EVetteL71 07-17-2012 06:36 PM

Overpriced FB (That Must Stand for Something) Bolts

You're all a little off...the price of these bolts I mean! They actually sold on eBay for $850.00!!!!!

Several months ago, Roy Sinor, the National Judging Chairman for NCRS wrote an editorial wondering how to get more younger people involved in the corvette restoration hobby since the price of restoration to NCRS standards has gone through the roof (no pun intended).

Roy, if u are reading this, you need to re-define the meaning of ORIGINALITY to prevent the rip-off artists who sell NOS & OLD original parts at "skies the limit" prices from killing the hobby. Personally, I bought my '68 almost thirty years ago but could not afford to restore it for judging until last year when I got to the ripe old age of 70.
I would be embarrassed to tell you what I had to pay for some meaningless parts.

Roco71 07-17-2012 07:17 PM

I noticed a lot of bolts on eBay this week with detailed photos.

Roughrider 07-17-2012 07:35 PM

If people refused to bid those kind of dollars the hobby wouldn't be so expensive. It only takes two bidders to drive the prices so high.

I guess it comes down to whether you're the seller or the buyer. If you're the seller you're loving life right now. If you're the buyer, you're setting the market price the rest of us can comment on how expensive the hobby has become.

Cobranut 07-17-2012 08:25 PM

That's likely why they're so rare. Back then eveyone got tired of taking out the extra bolts every time they touched the carbs, and most of them were thrown away. :crazy:

Originally Posted by Roughrider (Post 1581319363)
My '69 427/435 is all numbers matching and just about all correct. After seeing what those bolts went for I thought I might take the bolts from my car and put them on Ebay...replacement bolts from Corvette Central are like six bucks...I can't see how I could lose on the deal.

Yesterday I checked my car...the bolts aren't even there! The only thing holding down the air cleaner base is the wing nut on the top...which is really all it needs.

Maybe the seller of those bolts snuck in my garage and removed the ones from my car! :rofl:

fredd1 07-18-2012 09:12 AM

The bidders all worked for DOD procurement. d8o)

BTW, I once saw an Idaho potato shaped like Richard Nixon sell for $164.00.

corvetteload 07-18-2012 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by scottyp99 (Post 1581300751)
Not as much as those two little bolts.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/67-69-Corvet...sories&vxp=mtr

Keep the shiny side up!:rock:
Scott

Sorry, repro air cleaner, a true original is up there also, just like matching carbs. You either are in the game or just want to sit on the bench and watch.
I personally like the hunt for original parts, the years of searching for those elusive pieces, and once I get everything the thrill passes and the car sits unfinished for years. I then usually lose interest completely and sell all parts and vehicle, almost at that point with my 69.

Cobranut 07-18-2012 10:04 AM

Actually, Richard Nixon did look a bit like a potato. :rofl:

Originally Posted by fredd1 (Post 1581344673)
The bidders all worked for DOD procurement. d8o)

BTW, I once saw an Idaho potato shaped like Richard Nixon sell for $164.00.

rsinor 07-27-2012 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by 68EVetteL71 (Post 1581340045)
You're all a little off...the price of these bolts I mean! They actually sold on eBay for $850.00!!!!!

Several months ago, Roy Sinor, the National Judging Chairman for NCRS wrote an editorial wondering how to get more younger people involved in the corvette restoration hobby since the price of restoration to NCRS standards has gone through the roof (no pun intended).

Roy, if u are reading this, you need to re-define the meaning of ORIGINALITY to prevent the rip-off artists who sell NOS & OLD original parts at "skies the limit" prices from killing the hobby. Personally, I bought my '68 almost thirty years ago but could not afford to restore it for judging until last year when I got to the ripe old age of 70.
I would be embarrassed to tell you what I had to pay for some meaningless parts.

It’s not Roy Sinor’s fault or NCRS’s fault that some individual decided to pay 800.00 plus dollars for two bolts that are worth maybe 2 points if you really stretch it out of 4500 on the judging field. :willy:

Human nature drives prices on everything not NCRS, although there are those of you that would like to think a small not for profit organization dedicated to the collector car hobby controls everything. :rofl: