CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-zr1-and-z06-136/)
-   -   [ZR1] Corvette ZR1, A Drug Fighting Super Machine (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-zr1-and-z06/3082622-corvette-zr1-a-drug-fighting-super-machine.html)

Corvette Mike Ca 06-26-2012 12:07 PM

Corvette ZR1, A Drug Fighting Super Machine

A Corvette ZR1 is now parked at the Clayton County Sheriff's Department, and some citizens are concerned that the department used taxpayer money to buy the car, Even though the car clearly says on the back: "Donated by a Local Drug Dealer." When asked about the purchase of the ZR1, Clayton County Sheriff's Department's Director of Constituency Services, Clarence E. Cox, said the department didn't pay for it and the car was seized from a Local Drug Dealer.According to Cox, the car was used to transport cocaine and that the drug was even sometimes stashed in a taillight. After that dealer was busted, the sheriff's department seized the car.
http://classiccarcollectornews.com/w...Cop-ZR1-21.jpg

The ZR1 is being valued at $80,000 and will eventually be sold on auction; the money will go toward replenishing the department's aging fleet.

Cox said the Corvette, which wasn't painted but instead covered in removable wrapping with the Clayton County Sheriff Department's insignia, is not used for patrol or chases, but instead for promotional and educational appearances.

Still, taxpayers like Menyon Epps said they were concerned about the amount of money it costs to take care of a luxury car. "I just think there are better things the department could do with that money," Epps said.

So far the department has only paid for gas in the car and as it gets 14/20 mpg and is about the same, or better then, their normal patrol cars, this concern may be unfounded. Maybe the department should inform the public about the cost of the car as well as fight drug use. Or maybe the press covering this issue should let the public know. Either way, the sell drugs, lose your toys message it getting out.

http://classiccarcollectornews.com/w...A-Cop-ZR11.jpg

http://classiccarcollectornews.com/b...super-machine/

LEAVINU 06-26-2012 02:05 PM

Some people have nothing else better to do! Buddy of mine just told me yesterday, he is LEO, that someone sat outside a fast food restaurant and timed an officer that left his car outside running. The person then called the police dept to report the officer. :crazy2: Nothing else better to do CLEARLY!

Corvette Mike Ca 06-26-2012 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by LEAVINU (Post 1581166918)
Some people have nothing else better to do! Buddy of mine just told me yesterday, he is LEO, that someone sat outside a fast food restaurant and timed an officer that left his car outside running. The person then called the police dept to report the officer. :crazy2: Nothing else better to do CLEARLY!

:iagree:
I have been told cops are informed to leave their cars running rather than turn them off. Not sure why, but they must have a reason. As the car uses less than 1 gallon per hour idling, or so I have been told, the cost for 30 minutes is less than $1.50 as there is no tax on their gas. I think there are better ways to save a buck :thumbs:

mirage2991 06-26-2012 02:18 PM

Epps is an idiot.

Corvette Mike Ca 06-26-2012 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by mirage2991 (Post 1581167006)
Epps is an idiot.

You think she is dumb, check out the story that CBS is telling here: http://www.cbsatlanta.com/story/1887...ments-corvette

Notice it is a 2008 ZR1 :eek:

racerns 06-26-2012 03:27 PM

So that's what really happened to Fartpipe's ZR1.

:leaving:

mirage2991 06-26-2012 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by Corvette Mike Ca (Post 1581167096)
You think she is dumb, check out the story that CBS is telling here: http://www.cbsatlanta.com/story/1887...ments-corvette

It is a well known fact that most journalist and their employers don't report on facts... Lol

QUIKAG 06-26-2012 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by racerns (Post 1581167511)

:rofl::rofl:

Boba Fett 06-26-2012 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by mirage2991 (Post 1581168080)
It is a well known fact that most journalist and their employers don't report on facts... Lol

so true....just whatever sells their papers....

LEAVINU 06-26-2012 07:30 PM

I'll be sure to tell those haters that the ZR1 gets about the same if not better gas mileage than a Crown Vic and the ZR1 brake pads could last the life of the car if not tracked saving them lots of cash in the long run. :D

Clayton county is not the finest part of GA so it's no wonder they're down there complaining. So sad! :toetap:

sandstrs 06-26-2012 07:31 PM

I think it looks awesome!

You have to admit, if that thing rolled up behind someone, it is highly unlikely they would think they had a chance to outrun it...

94Lt1Vette 06-26-2012 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by sandstrs (Post 1581169338)
I think it looks awesome!

You have to admit, if that thing rolled up behind someone, it is highly unlikely they would have a chance to outrun it...

FIFY :thumbs:

GOLD72 06-27-2012 06:50 AM

:iagree: Especially if it is NBC, MSNBC, CBS, NY Times, etc. Also good at lying by omission and taking content out of context.

gonabite 06-27-2012 07:11 AM

Originally Posted by Corvette Mike Ca (Post 1581166965)
I have been told cops are informed to leave their cars running rather than turn them off. Not sure why, but they must have a reason. As the car uses less than 1 gallon per hour idling, or so I have been told, the cost for 30 minutes is less than $1.50 as there is no tax on their gas. I think there are better ways to save a buck :thumbs:

Every agency has different policy's on this. The reason some are told to leave them running come from the days of not so dependable starters. Better to have the car running and burn a little fuel than to have an emergency and not be able to start the car.

The public in that town obviously doesn't see the positive side of having a car like this represent their department. Some kids who may be on the fence of being delinquents see an officer doing public events or even driving in their neighborhood may think that being a cop can be a cool thing and that the police aren't the enemy. Cars have a way of impressing kids that can really change their future. ( I know this first hand).

MSUGTO 06-27-2012 07:17 AM

The drug dealer used a yellow ZR1 to run drugs in, I've got no interest in pursuing his "career path" but um, I think a more low-key car could have been used. I'm not a genious, nor did I stay at a Motel 6 last night.

Fartpipe 06-27-2012 07:43 AM

Originally Posted by racerns (Post 1581167511)

I will find you!!!!:smash: LOL! Funny though!

GOLD72 06-27-2012 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by gonabite (Post 1581172412)
............. Cars have a way of impressing kids that can really change their future. ( I know this first hand).

:iagree: Little things can have a big impact on impressionable young minds. Anything positive is a good thing. :cheers:

Chicago1 06-27-2012 12:56 PM

Luxury car?

everjeff 06-27-2012 01:23 PM

She wants to know what the purpose of them having a car like this is? Well obviously its so they can do killer burnouts while eating donuts!

racerns 06-27-2012 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by MSUGTO (Post 1581172440)
The drug dealer used a yellow ZR1 to run drugs in, I've got no interest in pursuing his "career path" but um, I think a more low-key car could have been used.

Wait... it was a Yellow ZR1! Anyone hear from Kyle lately? Is having drugs in your tail lights still considered stock for the fast list? I will have to think about this. :toetap:

Chicago1 06-27-2012 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by racerns (Post 1581175636)
Wait... it was a Yellow ZR1! Anyone hear from Kyle lately? Is having drugs in your tail lights still considered stock for the fast list? I will have to think about this. :toetap:

New meaning to "pushing weight"...

mourat 06-27-2012 05:18 PM

I like the idea of using a ZR1, I have no comment on drug dealers etc... but to have a ZR1 just sitting there, no way i'd cry.

Also, its funny about the gas, those crown vics probably eat more gas, and sits two? usually there is only 1 or 2 officers riding at any given time, nothing can run from this thing, and the maintenance it probably less than FORDS lol.

~Stingray 06-27-2012 07:46 PM

I have been told cops are informed to leave their cars running rather than turn them off. Not sure why, but they must have a reason.

I was told once by EM that the reason they leave them is so there is a less of chance of it not starting. They are always ready to go. It mostly applies to the winter months so the engine is already warm and ready for fast driving. However, I am not sure how that works for the summer. Anyone else thinking overheating issues?

I would like to see how much MPG the cop cars get. With those higher end engines, I would imagine it is not great.

C6LS3 06-27-2012 07:46 PM

i think its pretty cool that they are using this car! the officer that drives it is sooo lucky!:rock:

OnPoint 06-27-2012 08:33 PM

Hazard of the profession - drug dealing, that is.

tail_lights 06-28-2012 12:53 AM

Cool car!

4GS7 06-28-2012 08:03 AM

Originally Posted by LEAVINU (Post 1581166918)

Every agency has different policy's on this. The reason some are told to leave them running come from the days of not so dependable starters. Better to have the car running and burn a little fuel than to have an emergency and not be able to start the car.

The public in that town obviously doesn't see the positive side of having a car like this represent their department. Some kids who may be on the fence of being delinquents see an officer doing public events or even driving in their neighborhood may think that being a cop can be a cool thing and that the police aren't the enemy. Cars have a way of impressing kids that can really change their future. ( I know this first hand).

Originally Posted by ~Stingray (Post 1581178428)
I was told once by EM that the reason they leave them is so there is a less of chance of it not starting. They are always ready to go. It mostly applies to the winter months so the engine is already warm and ready for fast driving. However, I am not sure how that works for the summer. Anyone else thinking overheating issues?

I would like to see how much MPG the cop cars get. With those higher end engines, I would imagine it is not great.

New York LEOs don't turn their cruisers off ever. It takes too damn long for the computer to reboot and connect.

Originally Posted by mourat (Post 1581177202)
I like the idea of using a ZR1, I have no comment on drug dealers etc... but to have a ZR1 just sitting there, no way i'd cry.

Also, its funny about the gas, those crown vics probably eat more gas, and sits two? usually there is only 1 or 2 officers riding at any given time, nothing can run from this thing, and the maintenance it probably less than FORDS lol.

Right. And they're not exactly putting a ton of miles on it anyways. It's a promotional vehicle. They drive it to and from schools and in parades. Some people just see something they can't have and immediately decide that that's reason to bitch and moan.

~Stingray 06-28-2012 08:33 AM

Cars have a way of impressing kids that can really change their future. ( I know this first hand).

Do you mind sharing what car changed your life and how?

09Z06pj 06-28-2012 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by bobafett (Post 1581168964)
so true....just whatever sells their papers....

Yeah, why let the facts get in the way of a good story? Accurate reporting by the news media is, unfortunately, a thing of the past. :smash:

Krystal 06-28-2012 09:16 AM

If a tax payer in the community I'd be less concerned about upkeep and expenses involved in that than I would the idea that this car could have been sold and he money raised might have been more effectively used.

The idea of this car sitting around seems stupid to me. I seriously doubt the "deterrence value" here as the best option. I'm relatively sure the selling price of this used ZR1 would have raised enough cash to pay for a fully functional, brand new, working cruiser on the street.

Seems like a far better path to me for both the local PD and the tax payers.

A flashy Corvette in a parking lot may look better but if it's really a "deterrence" you want it's a bad joke vs a real Police car out on the street patrolling the neighborhood.

It's just my opinion but this ZR1 should have been sold. :leaving:

racerns 06-28-2012 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by Krystal (Post 1581181944)

Read the article, they are going to sell it. They are just getting some publicity out of it first. I see no harm in that.

4SFED Z 06-28-2012 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by Corvette Mike Ca (Post 1581167096)

Lol. Saw that too, a 2008 ZR1 :thumbs:

Bunch of ignorant people. Car gets attention and sends a message. Just because its a corvette doesnt meen it guzzles gas. Hell it gets better fuel mileage than 80% of cars on the road prob.

Lastly, can you blame the dept? Looks like a great reason to put it to good use. :hide:

LEAVINU 06-28-2012 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by Krystal (Post 1581181944)
If a tax payer in the community I'd be less concerned about upkeep and expenses involved in that than I would the idea that this car could have been sold and he money raised might have been more effectively used.

The idea of this car sitting around seems stupid to me. I seriously doubt the "deterrence value" here as the best option. I'm relatively sure the selling price of this used ZR1 would have raised enough cash to pay for a fully functional, brand new, working cruiser on the street.

Seems like a far better path to me for both the local PD and the tax payers.

A flashy Corvette in a parking lot may look better but if it's really a "deterrence" you want it's a bad joke vs a real Police car out on the street patrolling the neighborhood.

Obviously someone didn't read the article. :willy:

Krystal 06-28-2012 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by LEAVINU (Post 1581182349)
Obviously someone didn't read the article. :willy:

No......I read it!

What's with the expense of the paint job?

Where is the good sense in that?

Color me skeptcal.

If it'd been my decision the car would have gone straight to auction.

racerns 06-28-2012 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by Krystal (Post 1581183027)
No......I read it!

What's with the expense of the paint job?

Where is the good sense in that?

Color me skeptcal.

If it'd been my decision the car would have gone straight to auction.

Really you read it, because your comprehension is not that great. It was not painted it is just a wrap. Yes there is some cost to that too ,unless they go it donated, but it is small and most likely part of their publicty budget. Also, the article stated that all they have paid for so far is gas.

Krystal 06-28-2012 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by racerns (Post 1581183193)
Really you read it, because your comprehension is not that great. It was not painted it is just a wrap. Yes there is some cost to that too ,unless they go it donated, but it is small and most likely part of their publicty budget. Also, the article stated that all they have paid for so far is gas.

My reading comprehension and eye sight are having a conflict here.:willy:

I "read" the part that says it's just a wrap........but can't comprehend the part my eyes see in the picture .......a picture that does have what looks like lettering and badging that may be a "wrap" thing but that sure looks like Silver Paint to me......or is the idea of a "wrap" so complete it covers the whoe car?

Maybe I am completely wrong here and if so I'm not sure where I got it so wrong. Wasn't this a yellow car when they picked it up?:crazy:

CWGrizzwold 06-28-2012 01:06 PM

This isn't the first instance of this. When I lived in Raleigh the Wake County Sheriff's Office confiscated a 2007 Z06 but they actually used the car for busting speeders and making drug busts. It made a bunch of public appearances too.

http://www.wral.com/news/local/video...2/#/vid5627632

The county will sell the car after they get some use out of it and the money from the sale will go to Wake County Public Schools.

racerns 06-28-2012 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by Krystal (Post 1581183652)
or is the idea of a "wrap" so complete it covers the whoe car?

Yes you can do wraps that cover the whole car and make a full color change. Many of the cars that you see that are rolling ads are wrapped.

kh400 06-28-2012 01:48 PM

I don't have a problem with police confiscating drug dealers' cars. More power to them. I'm just wondering, if the owner of the car has a loan on the car, what happens with the bank that loaned the money? Are they just out of luck? Anyone know how this works?

LEAVINU 06-28-2012 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by Krystal (Post 1581183652)
My reading comprehension and eye sight are having a conflict here.:willy:

I "read" the part that says it's just a wrap........but can't comprehend the part my eyes see in the picture .......a picture that does have what looks like lettering and badging that may be a "wrap" thing but that sure looks like Silver Paint to me......or is the idea of a "wrap" so complete it covers the whoe car?

Maybe I am completely wrong here and if so I'm not sure where I got it so wrong. Wasn't this a yellow car when they picked it up?:crazy:

Originally Posted by racerns (Post 1581184105)
Yes you can do wraps that cover the whole car and make a full color change. Many of the cars that you see that are rolling ads are wrapped.

Thanks for finally getting on board now Krystal. :thumbs:

Na4now 06-28-2012 04:16 PM

So all this coke he was "transporting" fit in a tail light? wtf? Sounds like they just wanted to steal his car. Probably after impounding it, found out it was paid for,...then got the idea to confiscate it.

I was stopped just two days ago (63 in a 65 mph zone, fully legal car, following all the rules, ect.), and the leo was looking for cash. I won't go into details, but he violated several of my rights, right off the bat. End result was me driving off with no tickets, or anything. Just left me really pissed off.

I know for a FACT that Houston pd takes large sums of money during traffic stops, sends them on their way, and pockets the bread. I went out with one, one weekend, and he told me all kinds of stuff you wouldn't believe.

Btw, I have family in law enforcement, and there are some really good cops out there. We need them around. But there's a bunch of bad eggs too.

Swaie 06-28-2012 06:06 PM

That's why I ride with a mounted gopro camera...and without COKAHINA!!!

Maligator 06-29-2012 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by kh400 (Post 1581184496)
I don't have a problem with police confiscating drug dealers' cars. More power to them. I'm just wondering, if the owner of the car has a loan on the car, what happens with the bank that loaned the money? Are they just out of luck? Anyone know how this works?

"usually" if too much is owed on the vehicle, we wont seize it. The lien has to be mostly paid off, or enough that were purchasing the vehicle would justify selling it to purchase more suitable police cars like the crown vic, tahoe or charger..........for this smaller pd that everyone is getting their panties tied up about, the vet was probably paid off for them to justify a seizing it.

And for everyone else crying, calm down. A dope head lost his wheels and the police are parading it to show they won. The vehicle will be used for a short time, then auctioned off and the proceeds have to be used for law enforcement equipment, training and hiring; almost all states have stipulations on how asset forfeiture funds are spent.

Maligator 06-29-2012 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by Na4now (Post 1581185807)
So all this coke he was "transporting" fit in a tail light? wtf? Sounds like they just wanted to steal his car. Probably after impounding it, found out it was paid for,...then got the idea to confiscate it.

ya, im sure thats exactly how it happened. Lets devise a plan to steal someone's zr1, then steal it, then go to the media and parade around with the illegally possessed vehicle..........outstanding hypothesis

Steve Snake Driver 06-29-2012 10:56 AM

Maligator- ********. The whole police confiscation thing is out of hand. I guess that whole idea about unreasonable punishment and equality before the law is just something our betters need not be concerned about. If the guy was transporting drugs, and is CONVICTED, then fine him sufficiently within the law so that he has to sell the car himself. Giving this 'right' to the police is a license to steal. Would the police in the case mentioned have been so eager to seize the vehicle if it was a 1972 Pinto? Would the punishment have been equal?

"The Minnesota Supreme Court on Thursday upheld the right of police to confiscate vehicles from owners who have done nothing wrong. The decision narrowed the applicability of an "innocent owner" defense in cases where a vehicle is jointly owned. The high court considered the case of David and Jean Margaret Laase whose then-brand new 2007 Chevrolet Tahoe was confiscated in 2006.

Although David Laase was the Tahoe's primary driver, Jean Laase was driving the SUV alone on May 17, 2007 when she was pulled over and accused of drunk driving. Because Laase refused to submit to a breath test, the $40,000 vehicle was permanently confiscated as punishment for "second-degree criminal test refusal." $40K for refusing to incriminate herself? I don't have any sympathy for drunk drivers, but that is outrageous.

One of many cases. Then there is the guy who had ~ $20K cash intended for buying a car seized during a stop because '...it might have been drug money.' The poor guy had a hell of time getting his money back from the police department involved compounded by being out of state. Yeah, the response will be I'm cherry-picking cases...but then one is too many.

Maligator 06-29-2012 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by Steve Snake Driver (Post 1581192246)
Maligator- ********. The whole police confiscation thing is out of hand. I guess that whole idea about unreasonable punishment and equality before the law is just something our betters need not be concerned about. If the guy was transporting drugs, and is CONVICTED, then fine him sufficiently within the law so that he has to sell the car himself. Giving this 'right' to the police is a license to steal. Would the police in the case mentioned have been so eager to seize the vehicle if it was a 1972 Pinto? Would the punishment have been equal?

"The Minnesota Supreme Court on Thursday upheld the right of police to confiscate vehicles from owners who have done nothing wrong. The decision narrowed the applicability of an "innocent owner" defense in cases where a vehicle is jointly owned. The high court considered the case of David and Jean Margaret Laase whose then-brand new 2007 Chevrolet Tahoe was confiscated in 2006.

One of many cases. Then there is the guy who had ~ $20K cash intended for buying a car seized during a stop because '...it might have been drug money.' The poor guy had a hell of time getting his money back from the police department involved compounded by being out of state. Yeah, the response will be I'm cherry-picking cases...but then one is too many.

im not talking about a pinto, a tahoe or a fking golf cart, im talking about this ZR1. What part of cocaine being transported in it didnt you understand???? Im sure you understood the part of where, if somehow, the driver and his illegal activities directly affected your life, you would then give a sht and be all pro-seizure.........whatever, agree with it or not, haters are going to hate.......

Although David Laase was the Tahoe's primary driver, Jean Laase was driving the SUV alone on May 17, 2007 when she was pulled over and accused of drunk driving. Because Laase refused to submit to a breath test, the $40,000 vehicle was permanently confiscated as punishment for "second-degree criminal test refusal." $40K for refusing to incriminate herself? I don't have any sympathy for drunk drivers, but that is outrageous.
wrong, its called implied consent, not self incrimination. Dont like the DUI laws? Real simple DONT GET A LICENSE AND DRIVE. You dont have a right to refuse a breath test, you signed the bottom of your license, you agreed to the laws YOUR ELECTED OFFICIALS enacted, one of them is submitting to a breath test when probable cause exists for arrest for driving under the influence of alcohol. You know who doesn't submit to a breath test? Guilty drunk people............

Steve Snake Driver 06-29-2012 02:13 PM

Flip your scab back since I seem to have gotten right under your skin. Actually, it does affect my life in the taxes I pay. And you avoid the equality before the law comment.
Oh, so very nice of you to not only be the officer, but also judge and jury!...

You know who doesn't submit to a breath test? Guilty drunk people............

Maligator 06-30-2012 05:22 AM

Originally Posted by Steve Snake Driver (Post 1581193835)
Flip your scab back since I seem to have gotten right under your skin. Actually, it does affect my life in the taxes I pay. And you avoid the equality before the law comment.
Oh, so very nice of you to not only be the officer, but also judge and jury!...

under my skin? doubtful..............but please continue, you are very amusing............

but while checking my scab, I noticed that your string is hanging out..................

4GS7 06-30-2012 09:32 PM

Steve, Maligator is mostly right about the law. Everything he's said is based in sound legal theory. You may not like it, but take that up with your local legislator. LEOs enforce the laws as written, decided, or informed to the best of their knowledge by their DA. They DON'T create them.

Swaie 07-01-2012 10:08 AM

Correct LEO's just enforce the laws given...are they enforced equally all the time? NO, and this is where the problem occurs...that pinto probably wouldn't have been siezed, but you damn right this ZR1 will be!!! The woman that refused a breathalyzer, shouldn't have had her car confiscated, but if it's legal to take it it's probably going to happen. That's not the LEO's fault, even tho he probably could have let her keep it...so it's really not the LEO's fault that the law exists and he CHOSE to in force the portion of the law. I'm sure had he explained the consequences of her actions she woulda just took the DWI.

Mr. Gizmo 07-01-2012 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by Maligator (Post 1581198693)
under my skin? doubtful..............but please continue, you are very amusing............

but while checking my scab, I noticed that your string is hanging out..................

All this legal rhetoric Coming from someone "if I understand correctly" that lives in the state of Illinois and possibly works as a government employee maybe in law enforcement -- widely theorized to be one of the most corrupt if not most corrupt State in our nation.

almost every government employee, official or lobbyist looking for an angle to tax or jam anyone including law abiding people. Everyone in Illinois has their hand out asking for something.

Thank You Mr. Rob Blagojevich & maybe its a possibility one of these days Maligator will join you in your cell.:lol:

NytmereZ 07-01-2012 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by kh400 (Post 1581184496)

Many of today's police are corrupt, don't Be surprised, if this was just a guy going 30mph above the speed limit .

Cops are instructed to seize cars like this, is all about money.

If this was indeed a guy selling drugs than good for the police, just remember some police(seems like more in today's age) simply think they can do anything.

There was a guy out in Il a few years back that made the paper, as he was speeding in his brand new dodge viper early in the morning, he was doing something like 80 in a 45.

Cops seized his car, put it in an auction gone.

A couple years ago I was getting service at dodge for my viper, when I dropped off the car I saw this brand new viper engine out with LE plates on it.

I asked wait was the deal with that car, guys told me the cop who owned the car bragged about how he had the car seized than bought it at the auction, for half value.

The people at the dealership didn't like him very much, as the car was in there for it's second blown engine, had 3 tranny failures, they said he beats the living piss out of the car(obviously)

I looked at the car tires were bald smelled like smoke, it just put a bad taste in my mouth.

Take a mans car for speeding , then acquire it yourself and do much worse.

When I see stuff like thIs it makes me wonder, how they really got it, I would think a drug dealer who sells enough drugs to be driving a $100,000+ car wouldn't want to draw attention .

Drug dealers belong in jail, but police are getting arrogant these days, sell the car in a private auction, and give the money to a good charity, or a program to keep kids off drugs

This is just a spectical that may not even be true, the news is not bible, it's a great media of reporters , who are run by the powers above to report story's to scare the public .

We are losing are civil rights every day it's sickens me

Please don't think I'm bashing LE, my father( who was gunned down when I was 3) was Chicago police, as well ass all my uncles and my grandfather.

It's just different now, I know good retired police who are also sickened by all these 20 year old police officers , who join with a chip on their shoulder.

Steve Snake Driver 07-01-2012 02:09 PM

Once all those drug dealers are back to driving Vega's and clapped out Pinto's, maybe it might be worthwhile to start seizing speeder's cars...ya' know they are such scofflaws and dangers to society...and what law-abiding citizen REALLY needs 638 hp?

I guess my bottom line question is: When did law enforcement become a profit-driven enterprise? And my second question would be if YOU vote for the a-holes that sanction this, then do you consider yourself part of the problem?

Swale - If I understand it correctly, the person making the decisions is the local district attorney, not the LE in the patrol car...and seeing maligator's comments, that's a small comfort.

Ah...our militarized police - http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/48018051.../#.T-8YzpKVCy9 So maligator, the cops get to do a victory dance in the media over the seized ZR1, are they going to fire the supervisors who authorized this? You know...like a losing coach.

I'm also not comforted by the idea of every police department getting access to UAS technology in the near future...you wife/daughter sunbathing will probably be real popular video within the police department.

maligator, enjoy your string watching...no doubt while training your dog to alert on a subtle signal from you...makes seizing stuff so much easier.

Maligator 07-01-2012 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by Mr. Gizmo (Post 1581206239)
Thank You Mr. Rob Blagojevich & maybe its a possibility one of these days Maligator will join you in your cell.:lol:

right, im going to make some ******** arrest and unlawfully seize a car because in some messed up way, it will personally benefit me. Not to have a penis whipping out contest, but do you know how I afforded a near new Z06 at the age of 33? Keeping my nose clean and doing the right thing and working my arse off, not some Illinois political game like pocketing bond money. Your comparison of the state of illinois and a law enforcement officer is worse than the chicken and the egg theory............

Originally Posted by Steve Snake Driver (Post 1581207885)
maligator, enjoy your string watching...no doubt while training your dog to alert on a subtle signal from you...makes seizing stuff so much easier.

Well Steve that really depends if its your car my man! Ya, I give him a nice hand signal off the viewing range of my camera and say he alerted. That way I can search your car; Stevie snake driver and his Johnny Cochran legal theories has to have some cash in the center console I cant pocket. Hell, when all that fun illegal stuff is over, I get to drive your ZR1 in uniform to the local strip club and load it up with 5 strippers resembling some type of Chinese clown car and watch the girls throw the cash we took from your center console out the window. Then, and only then, we will use the car for parades and put stickers on it that it was seized from a drug dealer/corvette forum Nazi and act like we are all legit, honest, hard working cops..............

lets just agree to disagree; you dont like cops and that is perfectly fine with me, because in no way do you effect my income and me coming home to my family and enjoying my corvette. You make 1% assumptions that you believe 99% of law enforcement follow. I will continue to do the right thing, work hard, arrest those who indeed need to be arrested and show good judgement, discretion and fairness. The words, actions and viewpoints of people like you will never cause me to lose my integrity in ANY situation causing me to lose my job and perform and illegal action. I sleep easy every-night buddy, haven't slipped up one bit in 13 years, and my next 13 will be just as spotless............later...........

Maligator 07-01-2012 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by Steve Snake Driver (Post 1581207885)

oh, and to educate you, you cannot make a dog "alert" on a car. Do a little more research before barking up that tree. The alert is a behavior change when coming into contact with a narcotic odor in which the dog has been trained to detect. Those physical changes that are apparent in the dog when this happens, you cannot "prompt" or command. Were you talking about final response Steve? You seem to know everything, maybe you were just off your game this morning when you posted more of your conspiracy theories................

Mr. Gizmo 07-01-2012 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by Maligator (Post 1581208383)
right, im going to make some ******** arrest and unlawfully seize a car because in some messed up way, it will personally benefit me. Not to have a penis whipping out contest, but do you know how I afforded a near new Z06 at the age of 33? Keeping my nose clean and doing the right thing and working my arse off, not some Illinois political game like pocketing bond money. Your comparison of the state of illinois and a law enforcement officer is worse than the chicken and the egg theory............

And Mr. Rob Blagojevich exhibited similar exuberance and zeal for his job too.:salute:

Maligator 07-01-2012 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by Mr. Gizmo (Post 1581208645)
And Mr. Rob Blagojevich exhibited similar exuberance and zeal for his job too.:salute:

thats awesome, I cant tell you how often I want to do that to people...........:lurk:

Mr. Gizmo 07-01-2012 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by Maligator (Post 1581208658)
thats awesome, I cant tell you how often I want to do that to people...........:lurk:

don't slip up and get caught -- Mr. Blagojevich and his husband will be waiting for you in their cell.

jmc5 07-01-2012 04:19 PM

I don't care for any of the property seizure laws.

If the guy is a criminal, he will be convicted in court, and the court may impose a financial fine to recover money that was illegally earned.

The property seizure laws are simply enticement for bad officers to do their worst, and temptation to drag good officers into the muck.

Mr. Gizmo 07-01-2012 04:22 PM

:lol:

Maligator 07-01-2012 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by jmc5 (Post 1581208726)
I don't care for any of the property seizure laws.

If the guy is a criminal, he will be convicted in court, and the court may impose a financial fine to recover money that was illegally earned.

The property seizure laws are simply enticement for bad officers to do their worst, and temptation to drag good officers into the muck.

I agree with you that a majority of it is screwed up, but how do you think it entices us to do bad things? I personally dont benefit in anyway from making a seizure. If I come to work and do 8 hours of nothing or 8 hours of (on my level) police work, my paycheck is the same...........are you referring to the actual seizing of currency and bad cops taking money????

Maligator 07-01-2012 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by Mr. Gizmo (Post 1581208711)
don't slip up and get caught -- Mr. Blagojevich and his husband will be waiting for you in their cell.

all joking aside, because you dont seem to abrasive, there isnt a damn thing that will make me go to the dark side of the force and lose my job.............Im in it to make it to retirement, collect my sweet pension and watch my kids grow up.

Mr. Gizmo 07-01-2012 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by Maligator (Post 1581208784)
all joking aside, because you dont seem to abrasive, there isnt a damn thing that will make me go to the dark side of the force and lose my job.............Im in it to make it to retirement, collect my sweet pension and watch my kids grow up.

I know - just having a little fun. :cheers: to a fellow Z owner.

Maligator 07-01-2012 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by Mr. Gizmo (Post 1581208821)
I know - just having a little fun. :cheers: to a fellow Z owner.

cheers buddy! and btw Gov Quinn is more f'd up than Rod...........Free Rod, Free Rod!!!!!!!

Even though he was a crook, he was good to our department. We are so thin on officers we can barely provide the services to people, he at least saw that and let us hire people. There are parts of the state where you can get in an accident and wait 2-3 hours for a trooper to respond. Imagine if that was a lifesaving incident where someone needed immediate medical attention (we are usually first on scene), very sad...........

Mr. Gizmo 07-01-2012 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by Maligator (Post 1581208850)
cheers buddy! and btw Gov Quinn is more f'd up than Rod...........Free Rod, Free Rod!!!!!!!

Even though he was a crook, he was good to our department. We are so thin on officers we can barely provide the services to people, he at least saw that and let us hire people. There are parts of the state where you can get in an accident and wait 2-3 hours for a trooper to respond. Imagine if that was a lifesaving incident where someone needed immediate medical attention (we are usually first on scene), very sad...........

I have tried to do business with the State of Illinois to provide technology that would help the state identify welfare and workers comp fraud. we could save the state a lot so that money could be put to better use. It was frustrating.

Several years back, I was really put off by being told I had to align myself with Lobbyists, that were the biggest bunch of crooks ever that only wanted money and for me to raise my prices so they could skim off the top. I wouldn't go down that path.

-- Now with Senate Bill 51 the State is at a great stand still contributing even more so to the issues you describe above.

good luck to you and I hope that state can live up to its future pension obligations.

Maligator 07-01-2012 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by Mr. Gizmo (Post 1581208984)
I have tried to do business with the State of Illinois to provide technology that would help the state identify welfare and workers comp fraud. we could save the state a lot so that money could be put to better use. It was frustrating.

Several years back, I was really put off by being told I had to align myself with Lobbyists, that were the biggest bunch of crooks ever that only wanted money and for me to raise my prices so they could skim off the top. I wouldn't go down that path.

-- Now with Senate Bill 51 the State is at a great stand still contributing even more so to the issues you describe above.

good luck to you and I hope that state can live up to its future pension obligations.

you and I could kill several bottles of booze talking about those subjects..........

SharkbyteLT4 07-01-2012 07:07 PM

The sheriff dept in Raleigh seized a black Z06 a few years ago and have been busting peoples asses since with traffic tickets.

Maligator 07-01-2012 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by NC_EB_Z06 (Post 1581209995)
The sheriff dept in Raleigh seized a black Z06 a few years ago and have been busting peoples asses since with traffic tickets.

Sure; a previous department I worked for seized a mustang, with over 80k miles at the time. They would have received peanuts for it if they sold it; instead they used it as an undercover traffic car, at little or no expense to the citizens tax dollars. I have to say, 9 times out of 10, all vehicles seized (real ones, dopers cars with legit loads) are sold at auction to replenish the fleet. You guys dont think we would btch a fit if we were driving old ass cars that couldnt even get us to our next call while some pristine zr1 was sitting in the pd parking lot? Come on guys, most cops are on the same level, we bitch about the same **** you guys do. Would a 2005 crown vic make the news if it was seized? or a tahoe or charger? Hell no, but that happens all the time; a legit seizure turns into a squad car at little or no expense to hard working americans. I cant say all, but MOST seizures are from some sht bag running dope or cash in your community and we take whats important to them and PARADE it. Why? somewhat deterrence (way out of our control) and to show people we are doing something to better the way of life for people and to keep up community relations. Does the relation with police always have to be bad? Hell no, how about a seized zr1 to bs with people and have conversation about how a s-bird lost his wheels for dealing dope in your community? I understand there are bad cops and bad pd's, but if we can bridge the gap a little bit between people and good hard working cops, maybe, just maybe, we can deter violent crime and make this goofy world a little better for all of us..........

jmc5 07-01-2012 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by Maligator (Post 1581208763)
I agree with you that a majority of it is screwed up, but how do you think it entices us to do bad things? I personally dont benefit in anyway from making a seizure. If I come to work and do 8 hours of nothing or 8 hours of (on my level) police work, my paycheck is the same...........are you referring to the actual seizing of currency and bad cops taking money????

I'm referring to any seizure of property prior to an actual trial and
a decision that the person is guilty of what they have been charged
with.

Many of the most egregious offenses reported here are committed by
departments that do benefit directly from the seizures. These tend to
be what you see on flashy news media "60 minutes" style expose pieces.

However, even in the case of no direct benefit, someone in the
government is benefitting (profitting) from the police department
taking property without a trial. Often times recovery of property
wrongly seized is impossible due to the financial means of the people
the property is seized from. Even for those with means, if a 35k
car is stolen, and it costs 30k + a year or two in court to recover the
property, the smart move is to write it off and just let your property
be taken.

As to the temptation, it can be very subtle and indirect.

Higher up #1 says "Hey, we can profit from seizing more property,
just like the law says we can!"

This gets passed down the line, and down the line.

Finally, you're getting your daily pep talk from your direct supervisor,
and he says "Hey, the bosses are really paying attention to our
seizure numbers, and we aren't doing our job. You guys should be
able to find more of this stuff, there are bad guys out there! Go get
em!"

This is the sort of temptation I'm talking about.

Do you press a bad situation into a seizure? Its not really clear that
the guy is 100% guilty, but you know that he isn't innocent. And if
the bosses are watching, your choices are full court press or let him
go. Maybe he isn't guilty, but letting him go doesn't seem right either...

Tempting to just shaft the guy and let him deal with it...

Maligator 07-01-2012 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by jmc5 (Post 1581210396)
I'm referring to any seizure of property prior to an actual trial and
a decision that the person is guilty of what they have been charged
with.

Many of the most egregious offenses reported here are committed by
departments that do benefit directly from the seizures. These tend to
be what you see on flashy news media "60 minutes" style expose pieces.

However, even in the case of no direct benefit, someone in the
government is benefitting (profitting) from the police department
taking property without a trial. Often times recovery of property
wrongly seized is impossible due to the financial means of the people
the property is seized from. Even for those with means, if a 35k
car is stolen, and it costs 30k + a year or two in court to recover the
property, the smart move is to write it off and just let your property
be taken.

As to the temptation, it can be very subtle and indirect.

Higher up #1 says "Hey, we can profit from seizing more property,
just like the law says we can!"

This gets passed down the line, and down the line.

Finally, you're getting your daily pep talk from your direct supervisor,
and he says "Hey, the bosses are really paying attention to our
seizure numbers, and we aren't doing our job. You guys should be
able to find more of this stuff, there are bad guys out there! Go get
em!"

This is the sort of temptation I'm talking about.

Do you press a bad situation into a seizure? Its not really clear that
the guy is 100% guilty, but you know that he isn't innocent. And if
the bosses are watching, your choices are full court press or let him
go. Maybe he isn't guilty, but letting him go doesn't seem right either...

Tempting to just shaft the guy and let him deal with it...

I hate to say it, and many wont, now that you word it that way (the truth) I cannot disagree one bit........HOWEVER, the word temptation should be replaced with pressure, deadlines, quotas or any other synonymous term that is used in the workplace. I dont feel temptation when im working, I feel pressure from the higher ups to produce. I dont see 10k in currency as a temptation to steal, I see it as a seizure that takes the bosses off my back. As much as I agree with you, that doesnt mean that the ground forces, or beat cops are dirty cops. It means that the "temptation" or corruption starts at the top, the president, the gov and everyone else, not us little people who are doing what we are told so we can make a living and provide for our families.......

Maligator 07-01-2012 08:52 PM

and jmc5 as a perfect example a "criminal" last night we had which was his 9th time caught while driving with his license suspended, had six thousand dollars in currency on him. All neatly wrapped in rubber bands in 100 dollar increments, like he worked for the IRS. When asked what he did for a living he said "unemployed" and when he was asked to post bond he tried to use a link card. This, is the vomit that I work with; on its face for what im posting it looks like joe shmo with some money. On my end I see a sbird with drug money on him trying to use a link card (our tax dollars) to get out of jail. Really? Here us vet owners are getting into a pissing match (not you and I) when many hardened criminals are continuing there way of life on our dime!!!!!!!!!! This society, government and judicial system makes me want to puke. Most people think cops are the reason society is jacked beyond repair and let me go off on a tangent: There are bad, half brained cops that couldn't tell a green light from a red light; I will give you guys that. BUT there are IDIOTS who are picking the cops to be cops!!!! I swear this is worse than the chicken and the egg argument. Personally, I go out and try to prove people wrong........Hopefully that lands me in heaven and not hell...........

XPLOSYV 07-02-2012 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by Maligator (Post 1581210768)
Personally, I go out and try to prove people wrong........Hopefully that lands me in heaven and not hell...........

:iagree: Heaven bound for sure (Romans 10:9) and I totally support the vehicles being used for departmental purposes...

we had a masserati taken from a dealer a few years back but we sent it back to CA...right now we have approx 50 cars in our lot just sitting there...owners in prison or already done with their sentences but the cars are still sitting...three auctions but no buyers...i guess they want the cars for $1...ahem, oh well...new DARE car coming!

XPLOSYV 07-02-2012 09:53 AM

jmc5...we don't have to press or lie about drug seizures...often times, they are flaunting their ill-gotten gains so much, you have to be blind to miss it! one of the last ones i had was a guy riding a land rover...very clean...ran a redlight...clearly...truck reeks of weed...yeah, a nice bundle inside, with baggies and a scale...with an AK47...blessed that he respected LEO's enough to not try and shoot me...he took his charge and lost his ride...that same guy is out now and has...guess what? a frickin c6 vert now!!!...lol...i still wave at him from my c5 now that i'm off the street...is he still dealing? dunno...if it is meant for him to get caught again, it will happen

Mr. Gizmo 07-02-2012 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by Maligator (Post 1581210664)
\HOWEVER, the word temptation should be replaced with pressure, deadlines, quotas or any other synonymous term that is used in the workplace. I dont feel temptation when im working, I feel pressure from the higher ups to produce. \.......

Interesting - officers have deadlines and quotas, sounds a little bit like my job.

Similiar situation for me, we have contracts our customers have to abide by, - I guess I can compare that to the law.

Sometimes customers knowingly and unknowingly breach the contract. Its tempting to shaft the customer and let them deal with it when the issue is vague or ambiguous.

It burns lots of bridges, but it helps make quota deadlines. And when your company is reporting to shareholders and you are trying to keep your stock price high, you do what you have to do to make the higher ups happy.

The big difference for me is I don't have to worry about fortune 100 companies or government entities that I deal with pulling a gun on me and blowing my brains out.

KNIPPS 07-05-2012 11:07 AM

Maligator???

Maligator??....where is Kevin and what have you done to him?

Surf Island 07-05-2012 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by GOLD72 (Post 1581172349)
:iagree: Especially if it is NBC, MSNBC, CBS, NY Times, etc. Also good at lying by omission and taking content out of context.

:flag:
I never listen to the lame stream media. It's all propaganda.

Maligator 07-06-2012 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by KNIPPS (Post 1581238679)
Maligator??....where is Kevin and what have you done to him?

Kevin is on vacation, please leave a message after the beep, thank you......