CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-zr1-and-z06-136/)
-   -   [ZR1] Corvette ZR1, A Drug Fighting Super Machine (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-zr1-and-z06/3082622-corvette-zr1-a-drug-fighting-super-machine.html)

Corvette Mike Ca 06-26-2012 12:07 PM

Corvette ZR1, A Drug Fighting Super Machine

A Corvette ZR1 is now parked at the Clayton County Sheriff's Department, and some citizens are concerned that the department used taxpayer money to buy the car, Even though the car clearly says on the back: "Donated by a Local Drug Dealer." When asked about the purchase of the ZR1, Clayton County Sheriff's Department's Director of Constituency Services, Clarence E. Cox, said the department didn't pay for it and the car was seized from a Local Drug Dealer.According to Cox, the car was used to transport cocaine and that the drug was even sometimes stashed in a taillight. After that dealer was busted, the sheriff's department seized the car.
http://classiccarcollectornews.com/w...Cop-ZR1-21.jpg

The ZR1 is being valued at $80,000 and will eventually be sold on auction; the money will go toward replenishing the department's aging fleet.

Cox said the Corvette, which wasn't painted but instead covered in removable wrapping with the Clayton County Sheriff Department's insignia, is not used for patrol or chases, but instead for promotional and educational appearances.

Still, taxpayers like Menyon Epps said they were concerned about the amount of money it costs to take care of a luxury car. "I just think there are better things the department could do with that money," Epps said.

So far the department has only paid for gas in the car and as it gets 14/20 mpg and is about the same, or better then, their normal patrol cars, this concern may be unfounded. Maybe the department should inform the public about the cost of the car as well as fight drug use. Or maybe the press covering this issue should let the public know. Either way, the sell drugs, lose your toys message it getting out.

http://classiccarcollectornews.com/w...A-Cop-ZR11.jpg

http://classiccarcollectornews.com/b...super-machine/

LEAVINU 06-26-2012 02:05 PM

Some people have nothing else better to do! Buddy of mine just told me yesterday, he is LEO, that someone sat outside a fast food restaurant and timed an officer that left his car outside running. The person then called the police dept to report the officer. :crazy2: Nothing else better to do CLEARLY!

Corvette Mike Ca 06-26-2012 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by LEAVINU (Post 1581166918)
Some people have nothing else better to do! Buddy of mine just told me yesterday, he is LEO, that someone sat outside a fast food restaurant and timed an officer that left his car outside running. The person then called the police dept to report the officer. :crazy2: Nothing else better to do CLEARLY!

:iagree:
I have been told cops are informed to leave their cars running rather than turn them off. Not sure why, but they must have a reason. As the car uses less than 1 gallon per hour idling, or so I have been told, the cost for 30 minutes is less than $1.50 as there is no tax on their gas. I think there are better ways to save a buck :thumbs:

mirage2991 06-26-2012 02:18 PM

Epps is an idiot.

Corvette Mike Ca 06-26-2012 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by mirage2991 (Post 1581167006)
Epps is an idiot.

You think she is dumb, check out the story that CBS is telling here: http://www.cbsatlanta.com/story/1887...ments-corvette

Notice it is a 2008 ZR1 :eek:

racerns 06-26-2012 03:27 PM

So that's what really happened to Fartpipe's ZR1.

:leaving:

mirage2991 06-26-2012 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by Corvette Mike Ca (Post 1581167096)
You think she is dumb, check out the story that CBS is telling here: http://www.cbsatlanta.com/story/1887...ments-corvette

Notice it is a 2008 ZR1 :eek:

It is a well known fact that most journalist and their employers don't report on facts... Lol

QUIKAG 06-26-2012 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by racerns (Post 1581167511)

:rofl::rofl:

Boba Fett 06-26-2012 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by mirage2991 (Post 1581168080)
It is a well known fact that most journalist and their employers don't report on facts... Lol

so true....just whatever sells their papers....

LEAVINU 06-26-2012 07:30 PM

I'll be sure to tell those haters that the ZR1 gets about the same if not better gas mileage than a Crown Vic and the ZR1 brake pads could last the life of the car if not tracked saving them lots of cash in the long run. :D

Clayton county is not the finest part of GA so it's no wonder they're down there complaining. So sad! :toetap:

sandstrs 06-26-2012 07:31 PM

I think it looks awesome!

You have to admit, if that thing rolled up behind someone, it is highly unlikely they would think they had a chance to outrun it...

94Lt1Vette 06-26-2012 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by sandstrs (Post 1581169338)
I think it looks awesome!

You have to admit, if that thing rolled up behind someone, it is highly unlikely they would have a chance to outrun it...

FIFY :thumbs:

GOLD72 06-27-2012 06:50 AM

Originally Posted by mirage2991 (Post 1581168080)

:iagree: Especially if it is NBC, MSNBC, CBS, NY Times, etc. Also good at lying by omission and taking content out of context.

gonabite 06-27-2012 07:11 AM

Originally Posted by Corvette Mike Ca (Post 1581166965)
:iagree:
I have been told cops are informed to leave their cars running rather than turn them off. Not sure why, but they must have a reason. As the car uses less than 1 gallon per hour idling, or so I have been told, the cost for 30 minutes is less than $1.50 as there is no tax on their gas. I think there are better ways to save a buck :thumbs:

Every agency has different policy's on this. The reason some are told to leave them running come from the days of not so dependable starters. Better to have the car running and burn a little fuel than to have an emergency and not be able to start the car.

The public in that town obviously doesn't see the positive side of having a car like this represent their department. Some kids who may be on the fence of being delinquents see an officer doing public events or even driving in their neighborhood may think that being a cop can be a cool thing and that the police aren't the enemy. Cars have a way of impressing kids that can really change their future. ( I know this first hand).

MSUGTO 06-27-2012 07:17 AM

The drug dealer used a yellow ZR1 to run drugs in, I've got no interest in pursuing his "career path" but um, I think a more low-key car could have been used. I'm not a genious, nor did I stay at a Motel 6 last night.

Fartpipe 06-27-2012 07:43 AM

Originally Posted by racerns (Post 1581167511)

I will find you!!!!:smash: LOL! Funny though!

GOLD72 06-27-2012 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by gonabite (Post 1581172412)
............. Cars have a way of impressing kids that can really change their future. ( I know this first hand).

:iagree: Little things can have a big impact on impressionable young minds. Anything positive is a good thing. :cheers:

Chicago1 06-27-2012 12:56 PM

Luxury car?

everjeff 06-27-2012 01:23 PM

She wants to know what the purpose of them having a car like this is? Well obviously its so they can do killer burnouts while eating donuts!

racerns 06-27-2012 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by MSUGTO (Post 1581172440)
The drug dealer used a yellow ZR1 to run drugs in, I've got no interest in pursuing his "career path" but um, I think a more low-key car could have been used.

Wait... it was a Yellow ZR1! Anyone hear from Kyle lately? Is having drugs in your tail lights still considered stock for the fast list? I will have to think about this. :toetap: