CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C7 General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion-142/)
-   -   C7 News Fom Bowling Green (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion/3075507-c7-news-fom-bowling-green.html)

oldgoat99 06-13-2012 06:00 PM

C7 News Fom Bowling Green

May be a dupe but...

BG Daily News...

BuckyThreadkiller 06-13-2012 06:14 PM

Thanks!

AORoads 06-13-2012 06:24 PM

news to me!:thumbs:

Flex182 06-13-2012 06:26 PM

Good article, Dosent say alot about the C7 except that they have Spent 131 million dollars in preparing for its grand arrival in 2014.
My question is , Would it cost that kind of money to produce an evolutionary car or a revolutionary car , or would it make no difference.
The Article said they installed 90 new robots. Would an evolutionary c6 to c7 need all that ? These are the kinds of things I think about during the day.:crazy2::leaving:

OnPoint 06-13-2012 07:24 PM

Not much new.

Previous reports hinted that part of the new investment is driven by BG bringing in-house the formerly outsourced aluminum frame capability.

Tough to tell if those numbers suggest such is actually happening or not.

z edge 06-13-2012 08:03 PM

But the buzz – most likely because of the secrecy surrounding it – is still the yet-to-be named next generation Corvette
I guess they will call it - C7 or Corvette - right?

jackhall99 06-13-2012 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by Flex182 (Post 1581064763)
Good article, Dosent say alot about the C7 except that they have Spent 131 million dollars in preparing for its grand arrival in 2014.
My question is , Would it cost that kind of money to produce an evolutionary car or a revolutionary car , or would it make no difference.
The Article said they installed 90 new robots. Would an evolutionary c6 to c7 need all that ? These are the kinds of things I think about during the day.:crazy2::leaving:

:crazy2:

.... .:crazy2:

:iagree:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

localhrox 06-13-2012 08:13 PM

Maybe those square tail lights need more robots to install!!!:rofl:

m48xhp 06-13-2012 08:18 PM

the yet-to-be named next generation Corvette.
:crazy2:

JoesC5 06-13-2012 08:18 PM

In 1992, GM approved 250 million to design the C5 and tool up. What's that equal to now in 2012 dollars....409 Million????. Anyway, 131 million isn't that much, about a third of what they spent bringing the C5 to market. Ford spent over 1 billion when they did the second generation Taurus back in the early 90's

OnPoint 06-13-2012 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by JoesC5 (Post 1581065639)
In 1992, GM approved 250 million to design the C5 and tool up. What's that equal to now in 2012 dollars....409 Million????. Anyway, 131 million isn't that much, about a third of what they spent bringing the C5 to market. Ford spent over 1 billion when they did the second generation Taurus back in the early 90's

Well then, it sounds like a minor re-skin with a Camaro butt. :leaving:

j/k

:rofl:

dmaxx3500 06-13-2012 10:41 PM

looks like the new car will be built in the new part of the plant and they wont be using the old part that now builds the present car,what will become of the old part?,could we see an other vehicle built ,to help cut costs of the c7?,some kind of a mid-engine supercar?

Jinx 06-13-2012 11:33 PM

The figures you cite are not comparable.

The $131 million is investment in the assembly plant, not the total cost of the C7 program.

What the article reveals that I find interesting, if I'm reading it right -- the C7 assembly line is separate from the C6 line. It's being put together in a different part of the building, and the space where the C6 line is today will go dark unless GM decides to build another vehicle there.

IIRC they did that from C4 to C5 but not C5 to C6.

That suggests more than a nip & tuck refresh to me. At the very least it's a significant change in the way the car is built. Perhaps the engine doesn't fit up through the frame rails anymore. Perhaps the frame is more exotic and of more heterogeneous materials than we expect. Or perhaps they've just redesigned the assembly process to build them faster / cheaper / more precisely.

.Jinx
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8m9-PgWreE

BlueOx 06-14-2012 08:17 AM

Originally Posted by Jinx (Post 1581067384)
That suggests more than a nip & tuck refresh to me. At the very least it's a significant change in the way the car is built. Perhaps the engine doesn't fit up through the frame rails anymore. Perhaps the frame is more exotic and of more heterogeneous materials than we expect. Or perhaps they've just redesigned the assembly process to build them faster / cheaper / more precisely.

It's just that adding that AWD assembly section to the plant is darn expensive!:D

OR, it could just be that there were a lot of older parts of the plant that needed replacing. Robots are pricey, maybe there is a new paint area, could also be improved HVAC. Who knows? There is nothing to base anything on so speculation is meaningless at this point beyond that they are updating an old plant.

BlueOx 06-14-2012 08:19 AM

Hmmm..."yet-to-be-named"? Stingray, Stingray, STINGRAY!:rock::woohoo::flag:

BlueOx 06-14-2012 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by Jinx (Post 1581067384)
What the article reveals that I find interesting, if I'm reading it right -- the C7 assembly line is separate from the C6 line. It's being put together in a different part of the building, and the space where the C6 line is today will go dark unless GM decides to build another vehicle there.

Not what I read into that. They are going dark to do construction work in the present C6 area of the plant to tie old and new together.

The plant will shut down in July for intensive construction work, during which time the plant also will be closed for tours. Tours will resume in August but will again be suspended Sept. 14 until sometime after production of the next generation begins. The plant will be shut down for a week in October to begin tying in the old part of the plant to the newly retooled section.

JPJR 06-14-2012 09:06 AM

Great read, thanks for the post.

I still remember the GM production engineer that spoke at our local Corvette club meeting in January saying it's more of a C4 to C5 change than a C5 to C6.

A few more months and we'll know.

chaase 06-14-2012 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by BlueOx (Post 1581068694)
It's just that adding that AWD assembly section to the plant is darn expensive!:D

OR, it could just be that there were a lot of older parts of the plant that needed replacing. Robots are pricey, maybe there is a new paint area, could also be improved HVAC. Who knows? There is nothing to base anything on so speculation is meaningless at this point beyond that they are updating an old plant.

Robots costs $$$ and the rumor of certain frames being moved in house might account for the money. If the frames are being moved in house, they wouldn't need to be attached to the same line right away anyway.

CRABBYJ 06-14-2012 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by JPJR (Post 1581069016)
Great read, thanks for the post.

I still remember the GM production engineer that spoke at our local Corvette club meeting in January saying it's more of a C4 to C5 change than a C5 to C6.

A few more months and we'll know.

That, along with this comment from the ops posted article quoting the Corvette Plant Manager leaves me very optimistic the C7 won't disappoint.:flag:

"I will say that the last year for the C6 model is 2013,” Plant Manager Dave Tatman said.

“The new vehicle is incredibly exciting,” he said. “But that’s all I can say about it.”

AORoads 06-14-2012 11:56 AM

allegedly, according to some, Ford bet the ranch/company on the original '86 Taurus. it may have been 1 billion or more to create it from the old 500s and Galaxies, neither of which I recall being front wheel drive.

I agree that 131 million seems to be small by comparison to other models and generation changes. if that number's correct, I hope it's a lot of car!