CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C1 & C2 Corvettes (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c1-and-c2-corvettes-4/)
-   -   The Black 1972 Corvette (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c1-and-c2-corvettes/3070635-the-black-1972-corvette.html)

JohnZ 06-06-2012 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by Rowdy Rat (Post 1581002612)
John,

Yes, the majority of the paint on this car is original... Some touched up areas but certainly under the requirement for Bowtie. It's a solid car for sure and certainly worthy of the awards it received.

From the documentation that I saw when this car was presented for Bowtie judging, the paint was sourced from the truck line which was also in St. Louis. I would imagine that it would have been painted on the regular Corvette paint line, but you probably have a better idea of what happened with special paint jobs than I do John. Any thoughts?

Stan Falenski

Stan, generally the special paint units were sprayed in the regular paint system, but were done out of 2-gallon pressure pots instead of from the regular circulating systems; it took about 50 gallons to fill a circulating system that fed the spray booth manifolds at Corvette, so that was out of the question for "specials". The adjacent big passenger/truck plant was the biggest assembly plant in the U.S. in those days, and the Truck Paint Shop had (or could mix) just about any color you could imagine (for example, there were 13 different shades of "white" in the Truck Paint Shop). :thumbs:

65 Hardnoks 06-06-2012 09:07 PM

Why wasn't black offered during those years?

OOOPS! Sorry, I didn't have time to read the whole thread .

Rowdy Rat 06-07-2012 08:58 AM

John,

Thanks for the insight.

We are really fortunate to have guys like yourself that were involved with GM "back in the day" posting this kind of information here. You can't beat first hand experience!

Thanks again John.

Regards,

Stan

ifitgoesfast 06-07-2012 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by JohnZ (Post 1580998072)
That's a "Bowtie" (untouched all original) car, not a restored Flight-Judged car; all that matters in Star/Bowtie judging is absolute originality (not parts that LOOK original, but parts that ARE the originals it was built with and haven't been touched since). There is no "condition" judging in Star/Bowtie - only originality matters. :thumbs:

Restored cars are great, beautiful, sometimes better than when it left the factory. A person could take almost any thousands of classics out there in almost any condition and restore it to this kind of specimen. They can then drive it another 20 years, and restore it over and over.

An untouched original car is original only once. Although most people out there prefer something new, shiny and pretty, I think there are enough who want something like this and have the money to show what they really are worth.