CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   Paint/Body (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/paint-body-138/)
-   -   Chemical strippers (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/paint-body/3048531-chemical-strippers.html)

beekppr 04-29-2012 11:24 AM

Chemical strippers

I know this topic is covered from time to time but I am really unsure if I should use a chemical stripper or not. I'd love some input, particularly from folks who have used them and know what to avoid.

My car has five layers of paint (not including primers in between many of them). I have been scraping it with a blade and sanding but it's quite a chore. At this rate, I still have weeks to go.

What if I used it to get a few layers of paint off and then did the final one but sanding?

rogman16 05-01-2012 06:09 PM

Very debatable topic... Some that would "always" use stripper to go down to the glass/primer coat and those that would sand/razor blade it off...

From my experience, I've always used stripper to include my latest project--73 vert... Folks from both camps can show amazing results from their method... Both have pros/cons, but my vote would be for stripper... Very messy, but does a great job... Think I’ve gone through 5 gallons of stripper to take care of the exterior paint, under carriage fiberglass and interior fiberglass…

Rogman

CF6873 05-02-2012 09:50 PM

Have you tried a heat gun with the razor blade scraper? I used some stripper on the more tight spots but found the heat gun razor method to be the easiest on most of the car.

beekppr 05-02-2012 11:26 PM

Originally Posted by CF6873 (Post 1580713461)
Have you tried a heat gun with the razor blade scraper? I used some stripper on the more tight spots but found the heat gun razor method to be the easiest on most of the car.

I have been using the razor scraper and it does work well but because the layers of paint and primers are so thick, it is very slow going. I haven't tried the heat gun trick but it sounds interesting. I will give it a shot tomorrow and see if it speeds things up.

So far, I have only stripped areas in the rear that have bad repairs. Once I finish redoing all these repairs correctly, I am going to have to focus my attention on stripping all of the remaining paint.

Roco71 05-03-2012 02:13 PM

I used Citristip with razor blades it took everything off but the factory red primer. The stuff is fairly safe and cleans up with water. :thumbs:

ShootCraps 05-16-2012 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by Roco71 (Post 1580718877)
I used Citristip with razor blades it took everything off but the factory red primer. The stuff is fairly safe and cleans up with water. :thumbs:

:iagree: Mine is almost naked. Citristrip is great. :thumbs:

beekppr 05-16-2012 07:03 PM

I tried the heat gun method and it does work well. Because I have 5-6 coats of paint plus primers, I found the razor blade is super fast at removing the first 3 layers. From there, I use the heat gun to soften it a bit and it also strips fast. The final layer I have been using the DA sander very gently and it comes right off.

Probably not as fast as chemicals - it took me about 2-3 hours to strip a quarter panel and the top rear panels of the convertible up to the hatch area.

I have found a few areas underneath where the glass has delaminated and is all hairy. I would hate to get chemicals in there and have it wick deep into the surrounding panel. Since I have no way of knowing what I will find on the rest of the car, I'm afraid I will have to keep doing what I am doing. I only have the doors forward now and will strip the next area after I finish putting my new quarter panel on.

Thanks for all the input everyone.

Mike

jasonright 06-02-2012 10:46 AM

Heating is one of the technique of paint stripping. An electric powered warm gun is used in working with the old paint that needs to be removed away. If heat can be used to remove the paint, so do substances. Substance paint stripping is actually a well-known technique in paint treatment.

72SLEEPER 06-15-2012 06:09 PM

Razor blad8ing is not as easy as you guys are making it sound. I have a lond scrapper and using a heat gun amd it has taken two hours just to scrap the rear deck on my 72 Cpe. Am I doing something wrong? The Heat gun has helped but it is taking so long, making me want to spend the 1200 to have someone else do it!!!:crazy: