CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C5 Tech (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-tech-1/)
-   -   What is the best way to remove spark plug boots ?? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-tech/3046202-what-is-the-best-way-to-remove-spark-plug-boots.html)

happiedazs 04-25-2012 12:05 PM

What is the best way to remove spark plug boots ??

In looking over how the coil is connected to each spark plug and I could use some guidance in how to remove the spark plug boot & metal can from the plug. Does the metal can come off first and then the rubber connector or do the come off together? Is there a special tool someone could recommend that will make removal of the metal can heat insulator and rubber boot easier then just yanking on everything --- there must be
Does the tool grab the metal can --- or go in between the metal can and rubber or just grab the rubber part. Here is what I am looking at

http://i326.photobucket.com/albums/k...tsparkplug.jpg

Thanks for your guidance here.

dougbfresh 04-25-2012 12:06 PM

Many different techniques, I used channel locks, DO NOT DESTROY THE CANS, you'll need them for the new wires.

corvettebob1 04-25-2012 12:21 PM

The only tools you need are your fingers, grab the boot at the top and twist it back and forth until its free.:ack:
Then pull it off the plug that's what I do, yes I know it's a pain in the a$$ but it's better then $50.00 for new wires every time you pull the plugs for some reason.:thumbs:

dougbfresh 04-25-2012 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by corvettebob1 (Post 1580647629)
The only tools you need are your fingers, grab the boot at the top and twist it back and forth until its free.:ack:
Then pull it off the plug that's what I do, yes I know it's a pain in the a$$ but it's better then $50.00 for new wires every time you pull the plugs for some reason.:thumbs:

I put a silicon dielectric on my boots when I put them on so they come off easy when I need them to.

mchicia1 04-25-2012 12:27 PM

Pull the plug off the coil pack first, then grab the metal cover and spin the boot a 1/2 turn or so to break it loose. Then grab and wiggle it loose.

dougbfresh 04-25-2012 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by mchicia1 (Post 1580647679)
Pull the plug off the coil pack first, then grab the metal cover and spin the boot a 1/2 turn or so to break it loose. Then grab and wiggle it loose.

If the wires have been on a long time with no dielectric, you WILL destroy one or more wires getting them off, have a new set ready.

cookie7 04-25-2012 09:21 PM

:yesnod:

Originally Posted by dougbfresh (Post 1580648831)
If the wires have been on a long time with no dielectric, you WILL destroy one or more wires getting them off, have a new set ready.

YESSiR been there done that

yaknow 04-26-2012 12:23 AM

:iagree:

Old Horsepower 04-26-2012 01:41 AM

Or just put in some new wires. MSD 8.5mm Super Conductor Spark Plug Wires are on sale once in awhile. That way you can just rip those old ones out and feel good you have new wires and plugs. That's what I did and it does start and idle better. I did try to save the old ones but just too much effort. I ruined a few anyway.

Quicksilver Vert 01 04-26-2012 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by happiedazs (Post 1580647485)
Does the metal can come off first and then the rubber connector or do the come off together?

The metal heat shields and plug boots should both come off the spark plug together, as a single unit.

SaberD 04-26-2012 11:37 AM

I would suggest wearing mechanics gloves. they have some nice grip to them and will protect your kuckles when it pops loose.

Baldfart 04-26-2012 11:59 AM

:iagree: This is true. I just done mine a couple weeks ago and grabbing on to the heat shield with a small needle nose vise grip and pulled them off. Worked well for me me and did almost no damage to it.