CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C6 Corvette General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion-74/)
-   -   Key fob programming (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion/3042779-key-fob-programming.html)

txvettefan 04-19-2012 08:31 PM

Key fob programming

You might consider coping this post a word doc.

C6 Key Fob Programming Procedure:

IMPORTANT: This procedure is not available when the maximum number of 4 fobs
have been programmed. If 4 key fobs are programmed to this RCDLR and this method
is attempted, the driver information center (DIC) will display, MAX FOBS LEARNED
and the programming procedure will exit.

This procedure will add key fobs. Fobs will be numbered in sequence based on when
they are programmed; if 2 fobs are currently programmed to the RCDLR, a fob programmed
using this method will be numbered as Fob 3. This procedure requires that you have a
known good key fob, a replacement key fob, and the vehicle's mechanical key.
1. The vehicle must be off.
2. Open rear compartment
3. Place a known key fob within the interior of the vehicle.
4. At the rear of the vehicle, insert the vehicle key into the rear compartment lock cylinder,
located above the license plate and cycle the key 5 times within 5 seconds.
5. The DIC will display: READY FOR FOB X (X = fob 2, 3, or 4).
6. Place the replacement key fob in the glove box fob pocket with the buttons facing right.
7. A beep will occur and the DIC will display: READY FOR FOB X (X = fob 3 or 4) or
MAX FOBS LEARNED.
8. If programming additional key fobs, repeat steps 5 and 6, or press the OFF/ACC portion
of the ignition switch to exit programming mode.
9. Operate the active portion of each key fob in order to verify correct system operation.
Replacement battery CR2032

GOOD LUCK

ChevyDave 04-19-2012 08:45 PM

or remember/save the C6 FAQ link...
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...questions.html

about 1/3 way down under...
Key FOB Programming Instructions: http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...tructions.html

Devilish34 02-12-2013 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by txvettefan (Post 1580601744)
You might consider coping this post a word doc.

C6 Key Fob Programming Procedure:

IMPORTANT: This procedure is not available when the maximum number of 4 fobs
have been programmed. If 4 key fobs are programmed to this RCDLR and this method
is attempted, the driver information center (DIC) will display, MAX FOBS LEARNED
and the programming procedure will exit.

This procedure will add key fobs. Fobs will be numbered in sequence based on when
they are programmed; if 2 fobs are currently programmed to the RCDLR, a fob programmed
using this method will be numbered as Fob 3. This procedure requires that you have a
known good key fob, a replacement key fob, and the vehicle's mechanical key.
1. The vehicle must be off.
2. Open rear compartment
3. Place a known key fob within the interior of the vehicle.
4. At the rear of the vehicle, insert the vehicle key into the rear compartment lock cylinder,
located above the license plate and cycle the key 5 times within 5 seconds.
5. The DIC will display: READY FOR FOB X (X = fob 2, 3, or 4).
6. Place the replacement key fob in the glove box fob pocket with the buttons facing right.
7. A beep will occur and the DIC will display: READY FOR FOB X (X = fob 3 or 4) or
MAX FOBS LEARNED.
8. If programming additional key fobs, repeat steps 5 and 6, or press the OFF/ACC portion
of the ignition switch to exit programming mode.
9. Operate the active portion of each key fob in order to verify correct system operation.
Replacement battery CR2032

GOOD LUCK

I'm trying to add a fob but cannot get the car to beep or DIC to turn on after I turn the key the 5 times.. Any help would be appreciated

ChevyDave 02-12-2013 06:32 PM

i've read that it counts 5 in 5 seconds, but you can turn it HARD as many times as you need to make the 5 count. maybe up to 20+ times before it finds 5 good ones.

you are positive that a good fob is located in the car when it normally would start the car?

one person said this is no the only way they could get the 5 to count...
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/1570351932-post19.html

added Elmers programming method.. http://www.ls2.com/boggs/c6/C6%20Fob%20Programming.pdf

fyi... i see your from PA so this most likely doesnt apply, but.. I have read that Canadian version cars can only have a fob programmed at a dealership. just a fyi

Devilish34 02-12-2013 07:13 PM

I got it lol Thanks for the quick reply.. My licence plate frame was keeping my fat fingers from making the full turn required to work.. I took the plate and frame of and in the first try it worked

ChevyDave 02-12-2013 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by Devilish34 (Post 1583106907)
I got it lol Thanks for the quick reply.. My licence plate frame was keeping my fat fingers from making the full turn required to work.. I took the plate and frame of and in the first try it worked

awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CO Lightfoot 02-13-2013 12:42 AM

From another thread:

Originally Posted by RicK T (Post 1574113815)
First, you are aware there is a "short" programming procedure to add another FOB, which in most cases would be #3, which means the new one won't work with the driver memory settings. Only #1 and #2 can work the memory settings.

So, if you just want to "add" FOB #3 (or #4, the max is 4) then you use the short procedure.

To make a new #1 (or #2) FOB, with access to the memory settings, then you have to use the "long" programming procedure, which is lengthy. Doing the "long" procedure means you erase all existing FOB's from memory and start over. The first FOB you program will be #1, the second will be #2 for memory settings purposes.

The procedures in the manual seem to work only sometimes.

Here is a verified and tested procedure, long and short, that will work if you follow exactly.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...tructions.html

OR you could go back to the dealer and have them do it, probably for a fee. Good luck. :)

FortMorganAl 02-13-2013 06:43 AM

Originally Posted by txvettefan (Post 1580601744)

This procedure will add key fobs. Fobs will be numbered in sequence based on when they are programmed; if 2 fobs are currently programmed to the RCDLR, a fob programmed using this method will be numbered as Fob 3. ...

This means that you should NEVER have to do this or any other FOB programming procedure unless you are adding new FOBs to the system. Each FOB contains only a unique identifying ID. It is the car that remembers which FOBs are "legal". You program the car to accept a new ID as valid. The car NEVER forgets an ID unless you do the long procedure instead of this short procedure or start replacing RDCL components in the car. Removing batteries from the FOBs or car do not cause the car to forget.

If you are having problems with your FOBs you NEVER need to reprogram the car unless you give up and buy a new FOB.

C7Joy 02-13-2013 06:50 AM

Filing this away just in case! Thanks for sharing. :thumbs:

GhostC6 02-23-2015 09:45 PM

How long after you place the new FOB or the working FOB to test the slot, into the slot, does it take usually?

Another words, you do the steps, get to the DIC ready for FOB 3, you insert FOB in slot as directed, then wait, how long, door open or closed, how long till it works or it is just not going to, and, if it is just not going to, can the dealer magically program it another way and what do they charge, if the slot does not work for example.

Thanks to all!

GhostC6 02-28-2015 07:47 PM

No one know? Also, if the FOB slot does not seem to work, is there anywhere closer to where it needs to be to try and get it to program?

Looks like when it warms up I will be going to the dealer to get them to program mine, I can get to the "Ready for FOB 3" but that is as far as it goes.

Oh, well...

cclive 03-01-2015 12:41 AM

If you get to READY FOR FOB #3, it should only take a few seconds to program after you put it in the slot. It will then say READY FOR FOB #4. If the slot is not working then the dealer is your next step, but try a couple of things first:
1. Make sure the fob battery is good and inserted correctly.
2. The fob should be placed in the slot with the buttons toward the passenger door and the keyring loop facing outward.
3. If you get no response when you put the new fob in the slot (when DIC says READY FOR FOB #3), put one of your current working fobs in there. The DIC should say KNOWN FOB...if it doesn't, then the slot is not working and the dealer is next. Good luck.

If you aren't currently, use these instructions:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...tructions.html:thumbs:

Svwc 03-01-2015 08:39 AM

I just bought 2 new FOBs, only had 1 that was in bad shape. In doing the "long" procedure, the 5 turns on the truck lock would not put the DIC into program mode. This forum was excellent, tried several suggested tricks from others over the years. The trick that worked for me was to unplug the wires that come into the trunk from the lock, unplug, and use 2 paper clips, touch 5 times, DIC went into program mode !! Followed the directions, everything works great

MikeERWNC 03-01-2015 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by Svwc (Post 1589077444)
I just bought 2 new FOBs, only had 1 that was in bad shape. In doing the "long" procedure, the 5 turns on the truck lock would not put the DIC into program mode. This forum was excellent, tried several suggested tricks from others over the years. The trick that worked for me was to unplug the wires that come into the trunk from the lock, unplug, and use 2 paper clips, touch 5 times, DIC went into program mode !! Followed the directions, everything works great

How close did you park your truck to the Corvette when you turned the lock five times?

I don't see how turning the truck lock would do anything for the Corvette.
To me it seems like it would fail every time.

Were you using a Chevy truck when you programmed your new fobs?

I would think a Ford or Nissan truck might not work when programming a Corvette.

Truck Lock...
:hide::D

Svwc 03-01-2015 09:45 AM

That's funny 😜
Damm auto correct, trunk not truck

EVRose 03-01-2015 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by GhostC6 (Post 1589035001)
How long after you place the new FOB or the working FOB to test the slot, into the slot, does it take usually?

Another words, you do the steps, get to the DIC ready for FOB 3, you insert FOB in slot as directed, then wait, how long, door open or closed, how long till it works or it is just not going to, and, if it is just not going to, can the dealer magically program it another way and what do they charge, if the slot does not work for example.

Thanks to all!

:lol: Another words "In Other Words". :leaving:

ccie40567 03-10-2015 10:55 PM

Originally Posted by ChevyDave (Post 1583106518)
i've read that it counts 5 in 5 seconds, but you can turn it HARD as many times as you need to make the 5 count. maybe up to 20+ times before it finds 5 good ones.

you are positive that a good fob is located in the car when it normally would start the car?

one person said this is no the only way they could get the 5 to count...
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/1570351932-post19.html

added Elmers programming method.. http://www.ls2.com/boggs/c6/C6%20Fob%20Programming.pdf

fyi... i see your from PA so this most likely doesnt apply, but.. I have read that Canadian version cars can only have a fob programmed at a dealership. just a fyi

Worked like a charm on the very first try...2011 GS.

GhostC6 08-29-2015 08:11 PM

I posted another thread about my issue but I wanted to chime in here to see if anyone here can help.

I tried all the things to add my new FOB, no luck so I took it to the dealer and they said they would do it at no charge. They tried the way I did it and it would not detect the new FOB, then he tried a different way, no luck, then, without saying a word to me, he wiped all the FOBs and tried to add them, NO LUCK and now the car is a paper weight. It will not start or anything.

So since it is at the dealer and they wiped all the FOBs when one was working, now what, even the Corvette tech does not know what to do and they had to take me home, now it has sat there from 1pm Friday until they try again Monday when they can call TAC.

Can someone tell me there is a way to get my car working again, and somehow I feel this "Free" just went out the window.

Please Help!