CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C5 General (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-general-103/)
-   -   [Z06] how much "shake" does a LS6 have ? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-general/3034847-how-much-shake-does-a-ls6-have.html)

hoacha 04-07-2012 02:10 AM

how much "shake" does a LS6 have ?

Hey folks!.. Well my z06 is my first Chev in many years and cant be happier!.. I picked up my 2003 without knowing about what the car has been through or how it was driven by the previous owner. To my surprise i got a Corsa cat back system on it . Now heres my question.. While decellerating its got some nice crackle out the exhaust, and the cars got a nice little rock to it at idle.. Well i know the 03's have a beafer cam, so i dont know if this is normal, or abnormal!!.. It does have cats on it and passed an emmisions test, so i assume its running normally, not missing or anything.. the power is lacking by no means..Lights up the tires easily in 3rd whish is a bit crazy at times.. I cant tell if the motors been apart. Its pretty clean. Any input would be awesome!!..thanks.:rock:

striper 04-07-2012 02:30 AM

When idling there's just enough shake to remind you that you've got a hot rod at your feet. It smoothes out as soon as you increase the rpm's. I own an '03 Z also. I bought mine new and it still drives as good as new at 100k miles. Good luck to you and welcome to the forum.

Supercharged111 04-07-2012 03:01 AM

Mine doesn't really shake that much. Sometimes it does a little, I thought it was plugs or something, but I think that's just the way it is. Certainly doesn't have a lope, so not that kind of shake. I think the ****** factory motor mounts are partly to blame, how do you like the rattle when you turn the car off?

BlueTeamZ06 04-07-2012 01:04 PM

It has a bit of Rock-n-Roll even stock, how many miles does yours have?

The Corsa will put a little more noise and rumble out for sure.

Change all the fluids, pull the codes, if you want do a compression check. If you find any metal shavings in the fluids/on dipstick get serious. Otherwise drove it like you stole it :rock:

Zmeister 04-07-2012 02:59 PM

Welcome to the Forum and congratulations on your purchase!
My '04 Z idles pretty smooth. Just a slight bit of vibration. Pretty mild mannered for such a potent package.
These cars seem to be nearly indestructable. You should be looking forward to many years of driving fun.
Don't hide it away in a garage. Take it out and show it how much you love it!

ctusser 04-07-2012 04:16 PM

I remember my car had a little shake at idle when it was stock cammed, my dad even commented on it.

Paul 75 L82 04-07-2012 05:04 PM

Shake, Hell Yes! And now that I have the Texas Speed 228R and the Borla exhaust at a stop light it shakes and sounds so good. These are great cars.

AU N EGL 04-07-2012 05:08 PM

shake? hmmm 112+4 cam, solid motor mounts and an aluminum seat bolted to the floor, Lts, and straight pipes.

Could mix a martini

skyavonee 04-07-2012 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by hoacha (Post 1580491284)
the power is lacking by no means..Lights up the tires easily in 3rd whish is a bit crazy at times..

Get new tires. When I bought mine, it had 7-year-old stock tires and easily spun in 3rd gear. After putting on soft summer tires, I could floor it throughout 2nd gear without loosing traction, as long as the tires/road were warm and I didn't stab the go pedal too quickly. :cheers:

machz800ps 04-07-2012 07:53 PM

Congrats!!:cheers:
FYI 02-04 z06s all have the same cam
My 04 also has a little shake at idle (very little)
Steve

Omaha02Z06 04-07-2012 09:55 PM

Originally Posted by skyavonee (Post 1580496430)
Get new tires.

:iagree:

tremor1 04-08-2012 10:37 AM

how do you like the rattle when you turn the car off?

Push the clutch pedal in when you turn the engine off and it won't rattle.:thumbs:

Moto One 04-08-2012 08:51 PM

Is it possible that the flYwheel has been changed out for a lighter single mass one? That will let it Rattle in the trans and shake at Idle.

Mark

Lt. Dan M. 04-09-2012 12:11 PM

My 02 with 26K miles on it shakes a little at idle. I would tend to think it is the cam, these cams by old school standards is quite an aggressive cam. Also, had the OEM tires on it and I could break them loose 1st thru 4th. Put Nitto invo on the back and it sticks like glue now.

hoacha 04-17-2012 11:22 PM

Gentlemen..THANKS FOR THE REPLIES!!..i was away for a bit and neglected to check the forum.

I guess the cam profile would be responsible.. The motor mounts appear fine . Havnt checked compression , but dont think thats the issue..The corsa exhaust does give alot of a backfire upon decelleration though (cam lobe overlap?).. Sounds pretty aggressive .. I almost suspected the previous owner cammed it when i compared it to the half dozen other cammed cars i've owned..

Is the slight backfire and crackle a characteristic of Corsa exhaust upon deceleration?..Not that im complaining..I love it!!!:cheers:

oh, the rattle at shut off is awesome..lol..

milage is 100k

TheDVS1 04-18-2012 12:56 AM

Originally Posted by hoacha (Post 1580584847)
Is the slight backfire and crackle a characteristic of Corsa exhaust upon deceleration?..Not that im complaining..I love it!!!:cheers:

oh, the rattle at shut off is awesome..lol..

milage is 100k

That's not backfire - that's exhaust REVERSION baby! To me that's just one of the great things about a Z and a good exhaust. Enjoy! :D

Blue Blood 04-18-2012 01:11 AM

The "backfire" you are describing is an indication that the car needs a tune. After installing LT headers my car was running lean, tuning solved the problem and helped the car to run better.

hoacha 04-18-2012 01:34 AM

Interesting.. I should have it tuned.. I am imagining i need to find an experienced tuner in my area.. What is the ballpark price range for a tune if you dont mind me asking?

skyavonee 04-18-2012 02:35 AM

Originally Posted by hoacha (Post 1580585472)
Interesting.. I should have it tuned.. I am imagining i need to find an experienced tuner in my area.. What is the ballpark price range for a tune if you dont mind me asking?

In SoCal, dyno tunes typically run $450 - $550. It's totally worth it if you have headers. But if you only have a catback exhaust, or intake and catback, then I'd hold off on tuning if there's a chance that more performance mods are in your future.

Silnus 04-18-2012 07:54 AM

Your lighting up the tires in third gear? If that is the case you either have a sh!tty set opf tires, or you could have a cheatR cam in there. Had it on the dyno or track?