CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C5 General (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-general-103/)
-   -   Anyone had their coupe rear window tint go bad? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-general/3029005-anyone-had-their-coupe-rear-window-tint-go-bad.html)

Vicarious. 03-29-2012 12:18 AM

Anyone had their coupe rear window tint go bad?

The tint on my rear glass is frosted up so badly I cannot even see out of it.

I tried using a heatgun and a razor, but it was so difficult to scrape any of the glazed tint off...I chickened out.

Has anyone else had to deal with this? I can't imagine how many countless hours it would take to scrape away at this with a razor inbetween the electric heater wires.

Vicarious. 03-29-2012 11:16 PM

bump

Tyteflows 03-29-2012 11:53 PM

I haven't seen this problem but seriously, I would take it to a professional to do this kind of work. Sorry I can't be more help. What a bummer. Good luck.

ls4546 03-29-2012 11:55 PM

Mine looks like crap to, I'm taking the car to the guy who did my camaro and having him take the old stuff off the rear and do the whole car.

chevylad 03-30-2012 12:04 AM

I use a squirt bottle with water. Pull a little, spray water and pull some more.

02koolC5 03-30-2012 12:21 AM

Originally Posted by Ironembraced (Post 1580409168)
The tint on my rear glass is frosted up so badly I cannot even see out of it.

I tried using a heatgun and a razor, but it was so difficult to scrape any of the glazed tint off...I chickened out.

Has anyone else had to deal with this? I can't imagine how many countless hours it would take to scrape away at this with a razor inbetween the electric heater wires.

After removing the film,Spray carb and choke cleaner in a rag and it will remove glue instantly, First thing I did when I bought my 02 it was terrible :thumbs:

Silver97C5 03-30-2012 02:07 AM

I worked at a tint shop for a while and we always used a steamer just like what you would use to get wrinkles out of clothes, steam a corner of the tint, pull it back a little, and repeat. when all of the tint is off of the window use the steamer on the glue and scrub it with a white scotch brite pad, the white pad will not scratch the glass and wont hurt the defrost lines either.

Vetteman Jack 03-30-2012 06:35 AM

Originally Posted by Silver97C5 (Post 1580419220)
I worked at a tint shop for a while and we always used a steamer just like what you would use to get wrinkles out of clothes, steam a corner of the tint, pull it back a little, and repeat. when all of the tint is off of the window use the steamer on the glue and scrub it with a white scotch brite pad, the white pad will not scratch the glass and wont hurt the defrost lines either.

:iagree: That's what a local tint shop said they do to get old tint material off the windows.

pewter99 03-30-2012 06:52 AM

steamer :yesnod: