CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C3 Tech/Performance (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c3-tech-performance-3/)
-   -   2nd versus 3rd gear-advice needed (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c3-tech-performance/3026052-2nd-versus-3rd-gear-advice-needed.html)

bhk2 03-24-2012 04:31 PM

2nd versus 3rd gear-advice needed

Candidly, gearing is a giant unknown to me. Purchased the car four months ago and have no idea about any mods made to tranny or diff. Tranny # match and differential appears to be original.

Shifting from 2nd to 3rd gear offers little difference (IMO) in speed, RPMs seem to climb to quickly without a significant change.

Wondered if this is a transmission issue, a rear differential issue, or can be worked with at either end.

I will read up on the topic-can someone direct me to a resource?

Thanks.

bluedawg 03-24-2012 04:37 PM

Try servicing the transmission.

bobbarry 03-24-2012 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by bhk2 (Post 1580367680)
Candidly, gearing is a giant unknown to me. Purchased the car four months ago and have no idea about any mods made to tranny or diff. Tranny # match and differential appears to be original.

Shifting from 2nd to 3rd gear offers little difference (IMO) in speed, RPMs seem to climb to quickly without a significant change.

Wondered if this is a transmission issue, a rear differential issue, or can be worked with at either end.

I will read up on the topic-can someone direct me to a resource?

Thanks.

Is this an automatic or manual transmission? I'm presuming automatic?

The only difference between driving with the gear selector in "2" vs. "3" is that the transmission will only upshift to 2nd-gear when in "2", while in "3" it will upshift to 3rd-gear, which is the top-gear in the automatic.

Up until the point where the transmission would shift to 3rd-gear, there will be no difference in driving. If the engine is not upshifting to top-gear when you have the selector in "3", then the governor may be sticking or there may be a problem in the valve-body.

gcusmano74 03-25-2012 01:39 PM

Or your shift linkage needs adjustment/repair. Assuming you have an automatic. Cheaper than any trans work.
As the previous poster said, when you select "2" on a Turbohydramatic, the trans starts in first, and will shift normally into second. It just won't go into high gear.
Around town, you won't see an enormous difference in RPM. On the highway, though, it will be significant.

bhk2 03-25-2012 05:15 PM

I should have specified that it is a manual transmission, an M-20. The car shifts fine, but I can shift from 1st to 3rd without the need to visit 2nd.

Phil Zell 03-25-2012 05:23 PM

Probably a close ratio M-21 tranny would be my guess

bhk2 03-25-2012 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by Phil Zell (Post 1580375972)
Probably a close ratio M-21 tranny would be my guess

maybe it is an M-21, I'll have to check. thanks.

gcusmano74 03-26-2012 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by bhk2 (Post 1580375920)
I should have specified that it is a manual transmission, an M-20. The car shifts fine, but I can shift from 1st to 3rd without the need to visit 2nd.

Sure. The engine has plenty of torque. Just tooling around town, or oozing through traffic, I skip either second or third all the time. Just like the CAGS in the newer cars.

69 Chevy 03-26-2012 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by bhk2 (Post 1580367680)

RPM's should drop after the upshift. Perhaps your clutch is slipping?