CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C5 General (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-general-103/)
-   -   What make those Supra's so fast? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-general/3021094-what-make-those-supras-so-fast.html)

ThumperNC24 08-07-2012 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by Silverbullet00 (Post 1580306060)
Since there will always be cars fster than mine no matter what kind of car I have,,,,,, I'll drive America's Sportcar and never envy or bow to anyone!

Besides, ask a kid or a woman,,,Ricer or Vette,,,,nuff said!:thumbs:

I'd hardly call the Supra a ricer.

Take a look back at Supras, 3000GT VR-4, RX7.

All of those were back when it was still the C4....and they blew the C4 (sans ZR1) out of the water in every way.

Supra's are sweet cars, but they definitely demand a serious premium now a days. Im happy with my C5Z even though it will be a lot slower in a straight line than most modded supras. If I want to be faster i'll just build a lsx for boost and turbo it.....when I get pockets as deep as most of those high hp supra guys haha

I should have read more of this mess before I replied.

This thread gives a lot of corvette owner's a bad name.

orangeclaw 08-07-2012 08:01 PM

I knew a woman... yes a WOMAN!!!! with a nasty twin turbo supra while I lived in japan. SOO FAST! She could drive the heck out of it too!

FYRARMS 08-07-2012 09:40 PM

Originally Posted by orangeclaw (Post 1581512802)
I knew a woman... yes a WOMAN!!!! with a nasty twin turbo supra while I lived in japan. SOO FAST! She could drive the heck out of it too!

They own and drive fast ones here in America. Is low 8's fast enough? LOL

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-dWLKzJcGH0...on+Supra+2.jpg

orangeclaw 08-07-2012 10:07 PM

Originally Posted by FYRARMS (Post 1581513610)
They own and drive fast ones here in America. Is low 8's fast enough? LOL

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-dWLKzJcGH0...on+Supra+2.jpg

everything about that picture is beautiful.. hahah

FYRARMS 08-07-2012 11:27 PM

Not a fan of Jessica's fake watermelons, either. However, I have never found her to be stuck up. In fact, she is pretty cool in person. First met her back in 2002 or so, when I was working for one of the original TX2K sponsors.

Boba Fett 08-08-2012 03:02 AM

great thread - shows who are the true car guys and those who are just fans of what they drive...:lol:

Toque 08-08-2012 03:38 AM

Originally Posted by bobafett (Post 1581515278)
great thread - shows who are the true car guys and those who are just fans of what they drive...:lol:

I agree. :yesnod:

Supra's are sweet rides and i'd love to have one next to my Z in my garage !

Toque

Boba Fett 08-08-2012 03:55 AM

Originally Posted by Toque (Post 1580737913)
If I see a Supra in Dallas I have a TON of respect. :yesnod:

If you have ever been in my area (texas in general). You know that there are a TON of modified cars here. I don't think I have ever seen a un-modified Supra. They are all modded around here ! I know better than to poke at the Lion... :lol:

Its no surprise they are still the most highly sought after tuner car out there, and still retain a very high resale value. They are bad azz looking too ! Way ahead of there time. :yesnod:

Toque

you hit the nail on the head with this 1...:yesnod:
I dont know if they're "the most" sought after, but they are certainly up there. They were bad right out of the box and if my memory serves me correctly, Motortrend called them "flawless".
Some of what I read here reminds me of the way the Cobra (03/04's) and the new ones get bashed over in the C6 section - or does that go on over here too????:lol:

JustinStrife 08-08-2012 05:16 AM

Originally Posted by bobafett (Post 1581515278)

Originally Posted by Toque (Post 1581515340)
I agree. :yesnod:

Supra's are sweet rides and i'd love to have one next to my Z in my garage !

Toque

:iagree::iagree: I'll have one someday next to my FRC. :rock:

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b1...Cars/supra.jpg

Boba Fett 08-08-2012 10:55 PM

wouldnt mind 1 myself....:thumbs:

vettestream 08-08-2012 11:10 PM

Lol you can definitely tell who the true car guys are in this thread...supra's are no joke in a straight line with the correct mods, I would like to add one to the stable some day

FYRARMS 08-09-2012 12:34 AM

Originally Posted by vettestream (Post 1581522923)
supra's are no joke in a straight line with the correct mods

They are also extremely capable around turns. I have no idea why people think they aren't. Fully independent IRS, awesome transmission and diff gearing, and some of the best brakes offered in a production car back then.

Boba Fett 08-09-2012 12:54 AM

Originally Posted by FYRARMS (Post 1581523452)
They are also extremely capable around turns. I have no idea why people think they aren't. Fully independent IRS, awesome transmission and diff gearing, and some of the best brakes offered in a production car back then.

agree completely - the car entirely was simply b4 its time, its just sad that theres so many "car enthusiasts" that refuse to ack this...:crazy2:

quick04Z06 03-25-2015 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by SacCityCorvette (Post 1580298746)
Have you gone on YouTube and search Corvette vs Supra?
Those Supra's with their inline 6 cyl. turbo is kicking a lot of Corvette a$$!:eek:
Why?? :toetap:

Simple--speed costs money; how fast do you want to go? Stock Supra turbos had 320 bhp. Making 1000 bhp is easy today in any car--if you spend enough.

I can make a Vega outrun a Supra if I spend enough.

Racing modded cars is silly. That is why in real, sanctioned racing every car must meet a spec so you do not end up with a golf cart racing an F-16....

1Willy1 03-25-2015 07:00 PM

Arghhhh not again.

I had to sit through this Supra fan boy crap on the Lexus forums for years.

They look like a dogs behind and they are the most overpriced , ricer boy car, in history.

Johnny wangwang 03-25-2015 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by quick04Z06 (Post 1589266252)
Simple--speed costs money; how fast do you want to go? Stock Supra turbos had 320 bhp. Making 1000 bhp is easy today in any car--if you spend enough.

I can make a Vega outrun a Supra if I spend enough.

Racing modded cars is silly. That is why in real, sanctioned racing every car must meet a spec so you do not end up with a golf cart racing an F-16....

Welcome back to 2012:rofl:! Everything you said is true. But can you make that 1000bhp on the stock unopened block like the 2jz can?

Originally Posted by 1Willy1 (Post 1589266793)
Arghhhh not again.

I had to sit through this Supra fan boy crap on the Lexus forums for years.

They look like a dogs behind and they are the most overpriced , ricer boy car, in history.

Calling a Supra ugly is just rediculous! They are over priced though. If I were going to do it Id take the 2jz and put it in an S2000. The Supra is too heavy. But the sound and the power potential of the car bone stock cant be ignored!

1Willy1 03-25-2015 07:17 PM

2 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Johnny wangwang (Post 1589266843)

Calling a Supra ugly is just rediculous! They are over priced though. If I were going to do it Id take the 2jz and put it in an S2000. The Supra is too heavy. But the sound and the power potential of the car bone stock cant be ignored!

The 2J is a good , proven engine, the thing is it can be found (N/A) in a few other, much better vehicles.

The Lexus SC300 and the Lexus IS300.

It can also be found in the TT version in a few other Toyotas from Japan.

If it wasn't for the fast and the furious the supra would of never gained the hype that it did.

To me it looks no better then a Hyundai Tiburon or a Celica.

Mediocre at best.

dbgoodwin 03-25-2015 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by 1Willy1 (Post 1589266896)
The 2J is a good , proven engine, the thing is it can be found (N/A) in a few other, much better vehicles.

The Lexus SC300 and the Lexus IS300.

It can also be found in the TT version in a few other Toyotas from Japan.

If it wasn't for the fast and the furious the supra would of never gained the hype that it did.

To me it looks no better then a Hyundai Tiburon or a Celica.

Mediocre at best.

Your opinion will no longer ever be listened to by anyone in the automotive industry. Sc300 better than a supra? How? By being heavier and not factory turbo? I love the is300, it looks like a corolla with a nicer interior and rear wheel drive platform.

1Willy1 03-25-2015 08:24 PM

3 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by dbgoodwin (Post 1589267237)
Your opinion will no longer ever be listened to by anyone in the automotive industry. Sc300 better than a supra? How? By being heavier and not factory turbo? I love the is300, it looks like a corolla with a nicer interior and rear wheel drive platform.

Gotta be kidding me man, theres no comparison between the sc300 and the supra.

The SC is a luxury platform, MUCH better looking, better interior, more comfortable and its a Lexus.

Here are a few stock examples(minus wheels), when modified these cars are still up their with the best of them.

For some people speed seems to be the only thing they care about.

As for me the overall package is what matters most, exterior styling, interior styling, comfort, power and reliability.

dbgoodwin 03-25-2015 10:18 PM

Originally Posted by 1Willy1 (Post 1589267352)
Gotta be kidding me man, theres no comparison between the sc300 and the supra.

The SC is a luxury platform, MUCH better looking, better interior, more comfortable and its a Lexus.

Here are a few stock examples(minus wheels), when modified these cars are still up their with the best of them.

For some people speed seems to be the only thing they care about.

As for me the overall package is what matters most, exterior styling, interior styling, comfort, power and reliability.

Forgive me if I don't understand, but you're on a corvette website. No corvette ever mad has ever been, or ever will be, a luxury platform. It's as far from a luxury platform as can be in fact. The supra is a sports car platform, just like the corvette. The SC is a big heavy lumbering slow car that handles poorly and doesn't make any notable power. The inside isn't particularly nice and it's as exciting as a smart car. I love them, but that's the truth of it. Anyone who thinks the supra sucks clearly had a supra owner bully him in school or something. You're acting like honda guys who talk down on corvettes.