CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C5 General (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-general-103/)
-   -   What make those Supra's so fast? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-general/3021094-what-make-those-supras-so-fast.html)

1Willy1 03-26-2015 12:05 AM

Originally Posted by dbgoodwin (Post 1589268273)
Forgive me if I don't understand, but you're on a corvette website. No corvette ever mad has ever been, or ever will be, a luxury platform. It's as far from a luxury platform as can be in fact. The supra is a sports car platform, just like the corvette. The SC is a big heavy lumbering slow car that handles poorly and doesn't make any notable power. and it's as exciting as a smart car. I love them, but that's the truth of it. Anyone who thinks the supra sucks clearly had a supra owner bully him in school or something. You're acting like honda guys who talk down on corvettes.

The supra is a sports car platform? Hahah could of fooled me! With its 225 HP base engine, it would be hard pressed to beat a Honda accord.

You say the Sc is a fat lumbering slow car yet it shares the exact same chassis and drivetrain as the poopra you so dearly covet lol, that's hilarious.

Never said the corvette was a luxury platform.

I know what the corvette is and isn't, its a very sleek sexy sports car, lightweight, with good power and performance. No its not Luxury, that's what my Lexus is for.

The supra has .... well..... an engine that can handle a lot of power after you put thousands of dollars into upgrading the turbo system...... and that ... is about it...

No looks, no interior, no style, no luxury....cant even pick up a chick in it :(

RSbeast 03-26-2015 12:56 AM

Lol you're on drugs.

I guess some people like big girls too though. This thread makes me want to slap a bunch of middle aged country club members.

I love my vette; but I'll own another Supra. Then again, there are car enthusiasts; then there are Corvette owners. You aren't helping any sterotypes.

Ramsiec5 03-26-2015 02:59 AM

Money.

Money makes anything fast.

rjwz28 03-26-2015 03:33 AM

Originally Posted by Ramsiec5 (Post 1589269312)
Money.

Money makes anything fast.

Exactly

Supras perform like 4th-gen F-bodies until you modify them

jackthelad 03-26-2015 09:27 AM

Back in 1997, I was looking for a performance car to replace a modified 5.0 Mustang. My shortlist (mostly based on published road tests) was C5, Supra Turbo or Mitsu 3000VR4. I liked the idea of the VR4 as it had AWD and where I live we have winters. I ended up with the C5, but the choice was not nearly as clear cut as you might think. The VR4 got less attractive when one of the car mags reported their test car needed a new clutch/flywheel assembly after acceleration testing, and I was not impressed by feedback from new Supra owners reporting the ride as "bone jarring". While I wanted a performance car, it was always going to be my daily driver, and a harsh ride every day was not what I wanted. So, the C5 it was. And yes, I ordered it with F45 and have never regretted the choice.

17 years later, it is still my daily driver, but I don't have to use it as a commuter car any more - an early out solved that problem.

Got to go - need a run to Lowes to pick up some studs - they slide nicely down into the passenger footwell. People do look at you a little oddly though, when they see a C5 coupe swallowing lumber.

dbgoodwin 03-26-2015 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by RSbeast (Post 1589269067)
Lol you're on drugs.

I guess some people like big girls too though. This thread makes me want to slap a bunch of middle aged country club members.

I love my vette; but I'll own another Supra. Then again, there are car enthusiasts; then there are Corvette owners. You aren't helping any sterotypes.

Exactly. You put 2k into a supra and gain 100+ horsepower. 2k into a c5 gains you 35 horsepower. The supra is a platform that handles well, and is a tuners dream. I don't honestly love it, but it's a brilliant car

FYRARMS 03-26-2015 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by 1Willy1 (Post 1589268882)
The supra is a sports car platform? Hahah could of fooled me!

Of course, it is. What other platform would it be? It is a real sports GT through and through. The 22-year old Supra was the only non-modern-exotic car to even make a dent in the competition at last week's TX2K event. Geo's silver Supra beat 2 different Underground Racing Twin Turbo Gallardo's making more power than him. The Supra has an amazing drag coefficient and small frontal area, which makes it a great candidate for speed events. No crazy aero mods are required. No other 90's sports cars ever seem to do well at any of these competitions. Only the RX7 and Miata ever seem to do well at low-speed autocross events. LOL

The supra has .... well..... an engine that can handle a lot of power after you put thousands of dollars into upgrading the turbo system...... and that ... is about it...
No. Plenty of 10-second ETs have been made using the stock turbos and fuel system. Supras have a lot more to offer than just an incredible engine. They also have a perfectly-geared and extremely strong Getrag transmission, a rear diff that can handle amazing amounts of abuse, and a braking system that held a stopping record that wasn't beaten until the 996 Porsche 911 Turbo arrived. You also get the build quality and dependability of any other Toyota/Lexus product made in the mid-90's, which was stellar.

No looks, no interior, no style, no luxury....cant even pick up a chick in it
Purely personal opinion. I find the Supra's Coke-bottle flared body to be sexy as hell, and love the big curvy booty. The interior is very comfortable, even for my 6'1" 250# frame. I will definitely own another one! As far as "picking up chicks" because of your car goes, what high school are you creeping out at? :willy:

itsmeek 03-26-2015 09:45 PM

Geezus, now I remember why I couldn't stand going to vette meets. A lot of redneck, "merca" ignorance . The blind bs lack of any automotive knowledge past an exhaust system and some corvette placards by the biggest trash talkers was a trend. Too bad, i really loved my z's, but meets were painful. Felt like I was at a kkk rally with a bunch of Japanese war vets. Was hilarious how the guys with vettes that actually did their own work and modifications would just laugh at the yokels.

A clear vid with a 20 something year old car that has less than 15k in mods spanking an e85 2015 z06 and people act like the vid is staged. T2k14/15 and texas mile, the Supras held their own against the gtrs, lambos, and vipers. There was one quick vete that caught on fire. Didnt see any other vettes at the top...

You call yourself "car guys" but cant give credit where its due because the car isnt American? Ive owned gnx's at well, they are good for 500ish hp then need major work. You guys are hilarious with your internet knowledge.

Gtr, lambo, ferrari, viper, ford gt, porsche guys respect the supra for what it is and the c5 and c6 guys cant swallow it. Hilarious. Its like because this is a vette website, basic automotive knowledge becomes kryptonite and blind ignorance is the norm- because, iuh.... Its a corvette website.

Dixiecrat 03-26-2015 11:04 PM

Originally Posted by damilleniumboy (Post 1580301439)
White folks driving Corvettes are FAT 245+lb; asian guys are around 145lb.:leaving:

lolol

itsmeek 03-27-2015 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by 1Willy1 (Post 1589266896)
The 2J is a good , proven engine, the thing is it can be found (N/A) in a few other, much better vehicles.

The Lexus SC300 and the Lexus IS300.

It can also be found in the TT version in a few other Toyotas from Japan.

If it wasn't for the fast and the furious the supra would of never gained the hype that it did.

To me it looks no better then a Hyundai Tiburon or a Celica.

Mediocre at best.

This is like saying the lt or ls is found in vans, trucks, sedans. In this thread, you are by far, the least knowledgeable and seem to be a total corvette nutswinger.

big difference between a gte and a ge. And a car isnt just the "engine".

IMXCITD 03-27-2015 11:01 AM

supras are amazing and so is Jessica! The SC is an amazing ride as well. The first and third of the 3 white SC's posted was my car. It is a Turbo car and pretty quick...not bad on looks either!

Brad055 03-27-2015 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by jackthelad (Post 1589270305)
Back in 1997, I was looking for a performance car to replace a modified 5.0 Mustang. My shortlist (mostly based on published road tests) was C5, Supra Turbo or Mitsu 3000VR4. I liked the idea of the VR4 as it had AWD and where I live we have winters.

I was in the same situation back in high school, i couldn't afford a C5 or a Supra so i ended up with a '91 VR4 (everybody had a Z28 or Mustang GT so i had to be different).

I shredded the transmission a week later but ended up getting it back on the road. I've left it relatively 'stock' but added full bolt on's and a boost controller. It's a fun car to drive around for sure and always turns heads. Currently has 180k on it and i just got back from a 700 mile round trip last weekend! People never believe me when i tell them how old the car is, very advanced for it's time of production.

1Willy1 03-27-2015 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by itsmeek (Post 1589275920)
Geezus, now I remember why I couldn't stand going to vette meets. A lot of redneck, "merca" ignorance . The blind bs lack of any automotive knowledge past an exhaust system and some corvette placards by the biggest trash talkers was a trend. Too bad, i really loved my z's, but meets were painful. Felt like I was at a kkk rally with a bunch of Japanese war vets. Was hilarious how the guys with vettes that actually did their own work and modifications would just laugh at the yokels.

A clear vid with a 20 something year old car that has less than 15k in mods spanking an e85 2015 z06 and people act like the vid is staged. T2k14/15 and texas mile, the Supras held their own against the gtrs, lambos, and vipers. There was one quick vete that caught on fire. Didnt see any other vettes at the top...

You call yourself "car guys" but cant give credit where its due because the car isnt American? Ive owned gnx's at well, they are good for 500ish hp then need major work. You guys are hilarious with your internet knowledge.

Gtr, lambo, ferrari, viper, ford gt, porsche guys respect the supra for what it is and the c5 and c6 guys cant swallow it. Hilarious. Its like because this is a vette website, basic automotive knowledge becomes kryptonite and blind ignorance is the norm- because, iuh.... Its a corvette website.

Originally Posted by itsmeek (Post 1589278982)
This is like saying the lt or ls is found in vans, trucks, sedans. In this thread, you are by far, the least knowledgeable and seem to be a total corvette nutswinger.

big difference between a gte and a ge. And a car isnt just the "engine".

Its pretty funny how far off you guys are on your ability to judge.

First of all im not even a real corvette guy, im a Lexus guy, I have a passion for Lexus and a lot of things "Japanese". Ive been driving Lexus for 7-8 years now and hope im lucky enough to continue to do so for a long time to come.

I just bought my first (American car) 2000 FRC vette , 2 months ago. And yes I do love it so far, but this argument was never even about Corvettes , so im not sure why uve turned it into one.

I remember years ago I used to hear so much about the supras, and how great they were, and then I seen one.. and I was like that's it?

I guess what happened is the hype was so overplayed that when I looked into them I was really let down, and I still feel the same way.

Look, Its a good car, its a solid , dead nuts reliable platform, but at the end of the day its still a ricer tuner car, mainly for teens and young adults in their early 20's.

To see a 30 or 40 year old in a Supra would be a real facepalm moment.

To say you seen a supra with $15k worth of mods beat a new Z06 does not impress me in the least , there are Honda civics that are out there that can smoke Ferraris and vettes, its really a poor choice of argument.

DBOTHEBOSS 03-27-2015 12:17 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Wow ton of back and forth about this much money that much money blah blah. Argument isn't even relative to Supra anymore...could be talking VW Golf.

At any rate. Supras are fast out of the box (owned a 94 TT). Really fast on the highway. Why are some of them supra dupra fast? Because this picture. End of story.

FYRARMS 03-27-2015 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by 1Willy1 (Post 1589279589)
at the end of the day its still a ricer tuner car, mainly for teens and young adults in their early 20's.

To see a 30 or 40 year old in a Supra would be a real facepalm moment.

This could be the most ridiculous single post in the entire thread. I have been heavily involved in the Supra community since I bought mine back in 2001...when I was 30. The large majority of clean, fast, regularly-raced Supras are owned and driven by those well into their 30s and 40s. Hell, "SW" was almost 50 and was still whipping everyone's ass at the Texas Mile in his Supra. In his incredible collection of clean and modified Ferraris, UGR Lambos, his turbocharged Ford GT, and his pro-touring cars, he still kept the Supra---the quickest and fastest car in his stable. He sold his Vettes long ago, though. Even when he passed the age of 50. Go figure, right?

Your statement makes about as much sense as saying "At the end of the day, a Corvette is still an old man redneck car. Mainly for fat, bald men and senior citizens in their 60s and 70s. To see a 20 or 30 year old in a Vette would be a real facepalm moment."

:crazy:

dbgoodwin 03-27-2015 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by FYRARMS (Post 1589281272)
Your statement makes about as much sense as saying "At the end of the day, a Corvette is still an old man redneck car. Mainly for fat, bald men and senior citizens in their 60s and 70s. To see a 20 or 30 year old in a Vette would be a real facepalm moment."

It is a real face palm moment. Anytime someone sees me in my car and says "does your daddy know youre out in his car?" I want to introduce my palm to their face. Well actually not quite my palm, but close enough.

FYRARMS 03-27-2015 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by dbgoodwin (Post 1589281628)
It is a real face palm moment. Anytime someone sees me in my car and says "does your daddy know youre out in his car?" I want to introduce my palm to their face. Well actually not quite my palm, but close enough.

:lol:

1Willy1 03-27-2015 07:17 PM

This could be the most ridiculous single post in the entire thread. I have been heavily involved in the Supra community since I bought mine back in 2001...when I was 30. The large majority of clean, fast, regularly-raced Supras are owned and driven by those well into their 30s and 40s. Hell, "SW" was almost 50 and was still whipping everyone's ass at the Texas Mile in his Supra. In his incredible collection of clean and modified Ferraris, UGR Lambos, his turbocharged Ford GT, and his pro-touring cars, he still kept the Supra---the quickest and fastest car in his stable. He sold his Vettes long ago, though. Even when he passed the age of 50. Go figure, right?

lol this thread is starting to get good.

Its really funny how you guys don't really debate or object to my facts about the supra, you sorta keep coming back and attacking the corvette for some reason lol

You can attack the vette all you want , doesn't bother me a bit :thumbs:

73Corvette 03-27-2015 07:22 PM

DAMN it...all the HYPE over horse power... It's torque that gets the job done!

RSbeast 03-27-2015 07:37 PM

Dude has a busted $4k on a good day sc300 with shoddy pulled fenders covered in primer and goofy stanced 20s and he's ragging on arguably the most successful sports car Toyota has produced while downplaying the corvette all the same.

The corvette is not the greatest car and I loathe the demographic it carries today, nor is the supra. But the sc300? The only thing it's has in slight common is block designation to the supra. Sure you can swap and build and if it's what you like; fine. But don't come off like it's some unsaid 1000whp Supercar. They aren't worth dick for a reason along with other 'n/a 2jz' cars like the is300. It's not the same class, it's not the same drivetrain, and it's not the same argument.

You like em, great. I think it'd be fun to build one, but let's not get on this high and mighty 'I drive Lexus' weird status trip. It's no different than someone buying a busted old Mercedes. You sound juvenile at best and your car reflects it.

2quick98 03-27-2015 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by FYRARMS (Post 1580305816)
The top end is where Supras shine. Big turbo + high rpms = uber-high trap speeds.

check this out
a good friend of mine Dalton mcquire owns this supra. very fast street car and yes a lot of money spent but just like fyrarms said nothing to mess with even in stock form they are awesome cars away ahead of there time I had a 95 single and miss it dearly

itsmeek 03-27-2015 08:43 PM

Amen, that guy is a clown. I guess his sub $20k dream car is "cletus's chariot". Or better yet, hes either compensating or just plain jealous. I believe i owned my c5 z06 when i was 22, hes worked his entire life for his base vette. Sad, because an sc300 isnt a bad car. he has nickle and dimed every piece of that bucket and wonders why everyone passed his sc and base vette by at car meets.

A 2jzge engine is worth $400 on a good day... Im willing to bet that clown doesnt even know the difference between a ge and a gte and tells everyone that he drives a vee 6.

All this being said, id get rid of my 42k miles supra in a heartbeat for a c7 z06.

1Willy1 03-27-2015 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by RSbeast (Post 1589283042)
Dude has a busted $4k on a good day sc300 with shoddy pulled fenders covered in primer and goofy stanced 20s and he's ragging on arguably the most successful sports car Toyota has produced while downplaying the corvette all the same.

The corvette is not the greatest car and I loathe the demographic it carries today, nor is the supra. But the sc300? The only thing it's has in slight common is block designation to the supra. Sure you can swap and build and if it's what you like; fine. But don't come off like it's some unsaid 1000whp Supercar. They aren't worth dick for a reason along with other 'n/a 2jz' cars like the is300. It's not the same class, it's not the same drivetrain, and it's not the same argument.

You like em, great. I think it'd be fun to build one, but let's not get on this high and mighty 'I drive Lexus' weird status trip. It's no different than someone buying a busted old Mercedes. You sound juvenile at best and your car reflects it.

lol are you reffering to me Beast? Wow , another completely false statement.

You guys really need to re-group and think of something better if your going to try to attack me with anything other then a plastic butterknife.

First of all that Lexus I posted, was my first lexus , from years ago, and its an SC400, not an SC300.

Second of all I didn't ever brag about that car as if it was anything special, I just posted it to show my deep dish wheels that I built myself , and I was quite proud as it was the first set I customized.

And your wrong about the block being the only thing in common with supras and SC300's, they do share the same chassis, 2jz-ge engine, interchangeable suspension , brakes ,sway bars and many other parts.

Although the SC is far better looking, far more luxurious, and comfortable, they are considered to be cousins because of these similarities.

I will admit the 6 speed GTE - TT models are worthy of some respect but the base model GE's are just AWFUL and not worth more half of what they are selling for.

1Willy1 03-27-2015 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by itsmeek (Post 1589283573)
Amen, that guy is a clown. I guess his sub $20k dream car is "cletus's chariot". Or better yet, hes either compensating or just plain jealous. I believe i owned my c5 z06 when i was 22, hes worked his entire life for his base vette. Sad, because an sc300 isnt a bad car. Im willing to bet he has nickle and dimed every piece of that bucket and wonders why everyone passed his sc and base vette by at car meets.

A 2jzge engine is worth $400 on a good day... Im willing to bet that clown doesnt even know the difference between a ge and a gte and tells everyone that he drives a vee 6

HAHAH your sig photo says it all, you a little mad huh bro?

Sorry about that , as they say the truth does hurt :canadaflag:

RSbeast 03-27-2015 09:12 PM

You bet. 400 eh? Even better. They share a block. Not a rotating assembly, not a head, not an ignition, not an intake. They don't share a Trans, rear or axles. Ditto the suspension and brakes.

It doesn't matter what bolts on; it's what it IS.

66dts-v 03-28-2015 12:15 AM

I would give my C5 and my left nut for a MK4 turbo Supra. But they made less of the turbo Supras than they made of my color/year C5. :rofl: The SUV killed it (and a lot of great cars), sad but true.

dbgoodwin 03-28-2015 12:27 AM

Originally Posted by 66dts-v (Post 1589285034)
I would give my C5 and my left nut for a MK4 turbo Supra. But they made less of the turbo Supras than they made of my color/year C5. :rofl: The SUV killed it (and a lot of great cars), sad but true.

Eh. I love the supra, but it would take 3 of them to get me to trade my SWZ. The c5 looks better, performs better, and sounds better when lightly modified.

1Willy1 03-28-2015 01:46 AM

Originally Posted by RSbeast (Post 1589283837)
You bet. 400 eh? Even better. They share a block. Not a rotating assembly, not a head, not an ignition, not an intake. They don't share a Trans, rear or axles. Ditto the suspension and brakes.

It doesn't matter what bolts on; it's what it IS.

I don't want top keep dragging this out, nor do I want to make this a personal beef with me and you or me and others, we differ on opinions that's fine, I don't mind at all, I like a fun debate.

But with regards to the similarities between the supra and sc300 you should check again, the base model supra shares the exact same engine, 2jz-GE , the tranny , W-58, chassis and much more.

That's all , not arguing, just stating that point . :thumbs:

Originally Posted by dbgoodwin (Post 1589285080)
Eh. I love the supra, but it would take 3 of them to get me to trade my SWZ. The c5 looks better, performs better, and sounds better when lightly modified.

That's how I feel as well, I was looking through the classifieds here tonight just for kicks and even the NA- base model supras, with the W-58 tranny and the 2jz-ge non turbo motor are still selling for C5 money.

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/o...ationFlag=true

I find it hard to belive someone would spend $13.5 k on this car, You would need another 5k+ 10k to turbo this car and make it handle the power, your well into the $20k+ range at that point, then you would need to get into a body kit, wheels and coilovers to make it look good, that's another 5k+, doesn't make any sense to me.

This to me is much more reasonably priced, I actually considered buying this car at one time the guy is a member of club lexus.

Its a Toyota aristo, (lexus Gs300), and it comes with the infamous 2jz-GTE, already single turboed, nice wheels, only downfall is its automatic.

But at a fraction of the price of the supra it makes much more sense to me

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/c...ationFlag=true

FYRARMS 03-28-2015 02:08 AM

Originally Posted by 1Willy1 (Post 1589282908)
Its really funny how you guys don't really debate or object to my facts about the supra, you sorta keep coming back and attacking the corvette for some reason

a) I did debate your "facts". You said all the Supra has to offer was a good engine. I corrected you. You failed to acknowledge the transmission, the diff, the brakes, etc.

b) The majority of your comments were merely personal opinion. Oddly, you don't find the Supra attractive, don't like the interior, etc. How can opinion be objected to?

c) If you feel people were "attacking" the Corvette, it is because they obviously find it odd that someone slamming the Supra with opinion-based comments on appearance and on the supposed crowd the car appeals to is driving a C5 Corvette---also a car that can easily be slammed for the exact same reasons.

FYRARMS 03-28-2015 02:23 AM

Originally Posted by dbgoodwin (Post 1589285080)

Looks and sounds are obviously personal preference. Performance is hard to compare, unless you are talking about 100% stock vehicles. In that case, obviously a C5Z wins the match. As you mentioned, "lightly modified" = keep the C5Z. But for the guys who like to go fast, it becomes a different story. Unfortunately, for us C5Z owners, it would take a modded ZR1 TR6060 trans and a braced ZR1 diff fitted with Driveshaft Shop halfshafts to even approach the Supra's 22-year-old OEM transmission and OEM rear diff strength. Want reliable power levels over 600rwhp? Yeah, better tear down and upgrade that LS engine. Or, just leave the entire OEM Supra longblock alone.

RSbeast 03-28-2015 12:21 PM

N/a supra is not a 'real' supra and clearly is not the vehicle of discussion. Again they share nothing with 'the real thing'. Also, they are clearly worth crap comparatively.

It's barely par with an Mkiii

So again, no; it shares nothing.

Johnny wangwang 03-30-2015 05:33 PM

We should let this thread Die. Who cares about a supra Turbo or not lol. If I wanted to own one I wouldve bought a 97 with 100k miles for the price I paid for my 2002 Z with 40k.

Beau168 03-30-2015 06:02 PM

Bit late to the post as I joined only a few months ago with my C5....

But anyway, having come from the UK and owning Supra's and seeing what others have done with them there to, I can tell you they are awesome cars, and if you truly are a car guy you'll damn well respect the supra for it's engineering.

I'm sure it's been mentioned why they're fast before but I thought I could elaborate. The 2JZ-GTE is a very strong engine stock that can handle very high power. From a stock point of view, the twin turbo set up and fueling can be tuned to get you an aditional 100HP easily. The good thing about these Supra's is that Toyota built them strong. The geerbox is made by Getrag (who make the rear C5 diffs), and are known to take abuse. This goes for the entire drive train.

Modding them is where there is a massive advantage over the corvette's. Bigger turbo, injectors, IC setup and fuelling and you have yourself a quick car. Just to give you a little example you could pick up a second hand complete Big turbo setup for under 2000 pounds, about $3000. The engine's very easy to work on as well. This can have you running 1000BHP easily. How much $$$ does it take to get a vette up into that area?

Anyway, they're not good cars to compare because in theory the Supra was a generation behind the C5. 1992-2002. Compared to the 1997-2004. But in essence it really does show you how much of a great car it was for it's time.

I hope to one day bring my supra over here in the states!

Dominic Toretto 03-31-2015 12:54 AM

LOL checked my user CP and this thread showed up. Barely on here anymore. Supras are so 1990s. Technology has improved vastly from well over two decades ago. Anyone still impressed by a Supra hasn't driven a C5 or newer Corvette.

-Alex