CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C5 General (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-general-103/)
-   -   What make those Supra's so fast? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-general/3021094-what-make-those-supras-so-fast.html)

Grimlock 03-19-2012 06:57 AM

Originally Posted by Jesse Asis (Post 1580317196)
Let's get this straight, Supra build for family 2 door 4 passenger touring vehicle. C5 true American sports car alum. wish bone suspension, performance V8, 51/49 balance, 2 door 2 seater sports car.. to be compared with Ford GT40, Dodge Viper and a few Euro sports car not to name a few.

I wouldn't trade a bone stock C5 for a blown Supra anyday of the week and twice on Sunday. Going fast is just not what makes a true sports car, put a V8 on a skateboard, so what.. Lets get this right now...

So I guess the 911 isn't a sports car then.

MG RED 99 03-19-2012 11:01 AM

My good friend has a supra and got me to the track for the very first time years ago. See pics & video below. My first time at the track with the 1999 coupe, six speed and runflats and literally stock I ran a 13.1 which I felt wasn't bad. He was running 12.9 with numerous mods and drag radials. Years later I have a cam and tune with non-runflats and am running low 12's. He's now got a bigger turbo and so many other things I can't even keep track and he's running high 11's. We're both car guys and never became competitive towards each other, just shared the hobby together. Still love the look of the supra, it was a timeless body style and still looks good today.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...d_Don_cars.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...enTrack2-1.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...OLIVA/CCW3.jpg

Sorry no sound, he did catch me on the top end
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v1...DaGrove003.mp4

JustinStrife 03-19-2012 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by Jesse Asis (Post 1580317196)
Let's get this straight, Supra build for family 2 door 4 passenger touring vehicle. C5 true American sports car alum. wish bone suspension, performance V8, 51/49 balance, 2 door 2 seater sports car.. to be compared with Ford GT40, Dodge Viper and a few Euro sports car not to name a few.

I wouldn't trade a bone stock C5 for a blown Supra anyday of the week and twice on Sunday. Going fast is just not what makes a true sports car, put a V8 on a skateboard, so what.. Lets get this right now...

Your C5 will never be worth as much as a Mark IV Supra. Hell you could buy two C5's for the price of one 20 year old Supra. :lol:

Jesse Asis 03-19-2012 04:52 PM

I guess its safe to say, let's ask a Toyota engineer to sit down with a GM engineer and ask them this question, "Did you design the Supra to compete with the C5 Corvette"...
Just go to YouTube, they have Civic's with blown motors beating a Vette on the drag strips, so a Civic is now a better sports car, come on guys..

Fix up a C5 and you can beat anything, oh, they did, it's called the C6 ZR1 one hell of a vehicle from GM, not modified in someone's garage from a garage mechanic with a high school degree.. I'm not talking price (C5 will never be worth as much as a Mark IV Supra).

Put a stock Supra agains a stock C5, from the factory right off the line, and lets see who is going to win gentlemen.. Not take a blown modified Supra that the SOB spent $30 thousand bucks on motor, suspension, nitro etc. and start yelling "Oh Dude, it can beat a C5 anyday".. I was hoping mature grown ups who can read could see through this high school stuff.. Do your homework on what makes a real sports car..

Oh, 911 is a sports car, I covered that with " Euro sports car not to name a few".. I'm done on this topic..

Grimlock 03-19-2012 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by Jesse Asis (Post 1580321813)
Oh, 911 is a sports car, I covered that with " Euro sports car not to name a few".. I'm done on this topic..

But a 911 has rear seats. So isn't it a "family 2 door 4 passenger touring vehicle" just like the Supra?

Jesse Asis 03-19-2012 05:02 PM

Hey Grimlock, have you seen that back seat, you call it a back seat? It ain't a back seat, it's a bag seat, it don't hold any arss that I know of.. Want to get ride of your inlaws, just take them for a ride in the back seat of a 911....

Joking aside, I've driven a 911 in 2001, fast no dought, but all that weight out back is not the best feel at high speeds on any turn, I can tell you..

JustinStrife 03-19-2012 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by Jesse Asis (Post 1580321813)
I guess its safe to say, let's ask a Toyota engineer to sit down with a GM engineer and ask them this question, "Did you design the Supra to compete with the C5 Corvette"...
Just go to YouTube, they have Civic's with blown motors beating a Vette on the drag strips, so a Civic is now a better sports car, come on guys..

Fix up a C5 and you can beat anything, oh, they did, it's called the C6 ZR1 one hell of a vehicle from GM, not modified in someone's garage from a garage mechanic with a high school degree.. I'm not talking price (C5 will never be worth as much as a Mark IV Supra).

Put a stock Supra agains a stock C5, from the factory right off the line, and lets see who is going to win gentlemen.. Not take a blown modified Supra that the SOB spent $30 thousand bucks on motor, suspension, nitro etc. and start yelling "Oh Dude, it can beat a C5 anyday".. I was hoping mature grown ups who can read could see through this high school stuff.. Do your homework on what makes a real sports car..

The supra wasn't designed to take on the c5, as the c5 wouldn't come out for a few more years. It was designed to take on the cars that were out at that time like the 90's c4 Corvette.

Jesse Asis 03-19-2012 05:42 PM

JustinStrife, you are correct, the C4 was it's target. But both bone stock from the factory, I think the C4 would still come out the winner. Supra is a fine vehicle, I like them as well, but I'm just stating from an engineer's stand point. The C5 is a much better vette than the C4, as well as the C6 is a very much refined C5. It's fun to compare rides, we all do it, we are all proud of our vehicles and we can all share that here on these forums without bashing other brands. I wave to others when driving in my C5, I even wave to Ford Mustang (sends them into a tizzy, they don't know what to do), life is fun with our rides... Let's enjoy them all..

JustinStrife 03-19-2012 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by Jesse Asis (Post 1580322252)
JustinStrife, you are correct, the C4 was it's target. But both bone stock from the factory, I think the C4 would still come out the winner. Supra is a fine vehicle, I like them as well, but I'm just stating from an engineer's stand point. The C5 is a much better vette than the C4, as well as the C6 is a very much refined C5. It's fun to compare rides, we all do it, we are all proud of our vehicles and we can all share that here on these forums without bashing other brands. I wave to others when driving in my C5, I even wave to Ford Mustang (sends them into a tizzy, they don't know what to do), life is fun with our rides... Let's enjoy them all..

I'm not bashing other brands. I've owned Twin turbo RX7's, Turbo Nissan 240sx's, Supercharged Corvettes, etc. I appreciate well made cars regardless of who makes them. I just wish GM would have made their motors as stout from the factory, as Toyota did with the 2JZ in the Supra. Forged internals would have been really nice, as well as a Turbo option. Much more ideal than say an Eaton blower like what's on the ZR1.

Jesse Asis 03-20-2012 01:52 AM

JustinStrife, agreed, Toyota does make good quality motors, I know I own two, 84 4X4 Truck and 94 4Runner, and they were bullets and beat any American made truck back then. I too love all forms of rides, I had a 79 280ZX lowered but stock with Ferrari wheels, that was a great car. Since I've return to American rides, I followed the C4 and C5 and after test driving the C5, I fell in love with the ride and performance. Yes, GM could of done better here or there, but the cost would have been like the Lambos. I'm glad they kinda didn't so I could own one and enjoy it with the many other Vette owners. May we meet on the rode and enjoy a cold one, one day...

If you think about it, the ZR1 is the only real American sports car that can hold it's own with some of the vehicles going for 3 times it's cost. That is a fantastic engineering job to GM for around $129 thousand buck-a-roos.. This puts average guys like me, in the real world and not just the dream world. I love the Ford GT40 but it was not comfortable to sit in for me. Got in one at Kassabians in San Ramon Calif. Can't wait to see the 2014 Viper, if it comes out.. Enjoy what ever ride you have...

JustinStrife 03-20-2012 04:52 AM

I agree about the ZR1's price, comfort, and practicality over the exotics. Not to mention, people like you and I can still work on them in garages and on jack stands. It's one aspect of Corvette I don't want GM to change. They are still the every man's Sport's car to compete with the rest of the world.

If you ever see a pewter FRC with black stripes, be sure to wave. Maybe we'll have a beer somewhere and look at all the pretty girls that live in Cali. :cheers:

Jesse Asis 03-20-2012 05:10 AM

JustinStrife, your on..... I'm buyin the first round.... You're not to far, San Diego.. Use to travel there in my other life (when I worked for IBM Global Services).. That place I had to close my eyes, so many beautiful women..

I use to go every other year for training in San Diego staying at Town & Country.. love that place.. Did lots of police training there, fun place... Later...

ZMX 03-20-2012 05:35 AM

The Supra's engine, the 2JZ, was way way overbuilt from the factory. Bad business practice, actually.

They can run 500whp on the stock turbos, and the stock block will hold 1000+whp.

jpandes 03-20-2012 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by flaagan (Post 1580301892)
I'll say two things about my experience with Supras.

2) There is a running gag regarding Supras:
Q: What's the difference between 600, 900, and 1300 hp Supras?
A: Nothing, they're all 13 second cars.
:rofl:

That's F$%ing funny!

Mister Peebody 03-20-2012 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by SacCityCorvette (Post 1580298746)
Have you gone on YouTube and search Corvette vs Supra?
Those Supra's with their inline 6 cyl. turbo is kicking a lot of Corvette a$$!:eek:
Why?? :toetap:

Because so many Corvette owners are ignorant/arrogant enough to assume that since they have a vette, their car must be faster. JMO

I'll say two things about my experience with Supras.

1) Two friends have them, one's busted all the time and held together like a junkyard heap. The other's a bit of a speed nut and has stripped the interior and such down like crazy, to the point his instrument cluster is held in place by zip ties. My '01 'vette, untouched, weighs less than his 'stripped out' Supra.

But we're not talking about weight. Can you outrun him (the speednut)?

2) There is a running gag regarding Supras:
Q: What's the difference between 600, 900, and 1300 hp Supras?
A: Nothing, they're all 13 second cars.

Originally Posted by jpandes (Post 1580330339)
That's F$%ing funny!

Until you attend an event like TX2K12 in your vette and get handled by 90% of the Supras there. I say we, the posters in this thread, make a cruise to TX2K13 next year and see how many of us get drug by Supras. Don't knock what you don't know! Anything can be made to be quick/fast!

nstyzo6 03-20-2012 05:22 PM

Supra's are beast no doubt about it! You see many of them here in Texas and yes come down to a tx2kxx event and you'll see why supra's are such a favorable vehicle. The only car to beat SW's UGR lambo besides another UGR car itself was a supra this past weekend.

For as old as they are they still hold their value even with 80k+ miles I see them going for $24k. Put a turbo supporting fuel system and their good for ~800rwhp all day long on stock bottom end....How many c5's can do that??

Got a buddy who bought a stock supra this year, $5k later its turbo on e85 making 840hp.
Yes I agree the dashboard / interior is ugly and some might not like the whole appearence of the car...but for those buying them their probably buying them cause they're the best bang for the buck as far as performance wise.

JustinStrife 03-20-2012 08:18 PM

Originally Posted by nstyzo6 (Post 1580331489)
Supra's are beast no doubt about it! You see many of them here in Texas and yes come down to a tx2kxx event and you'll see why supra's are such a favorable vehicle. The only car to beat SW's UGR lambo besides another UGR car itself was a supra this past weekend.

For as old as they are they still hold their value even with 80k+ miles I see them going for $24k. Put a turbo supporting fuel system and their good for ~800rwhp all day long on stock bottom end....How many c5's can do that??

Got a buddy who bought a stock supra this year, $5k later its turbo on e85 making 840hp.
Yes I agree the dashboard / interior is ugly and some might not like the whole appearence of the car...but for those buying them their probably buying them cause they're the best bang for the buck as far as performance wise.

That Supra didn't beat the Lambo. He was using every cheat in the book. Starting before the third honk, shutting down early when the Lambo was catching him, etc.

Those Supras are insane highway killers, but they aren't beating those Lambos.

Mister Peebody 03-21-2012 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by JustinStrife (Post 1580333090)
That Supra didn't beat the Lambo...
...but they aren't beating those Lambos.

Some disagree, but it is what is. :cheers:

Endeka 03-21-2012 02:34 PM

Your C5 will never be worth as much as a Mark IV Supra. Hell you could buy two C5's for the price of one 20 year old Supra.
An NSX from 20 years ago costs more than a C5 Z06 too. That doesn't make it better.

nstyzo6 03-21-2012 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by Mister Peebody (Post 1580339386)
Some disagree, but it is what is. :cheers:

+1

Brake boosting a real big horsepower car at about 80mph and trying hold it so it wont get out under you untill the 3rd honk is real hard....If you've done it before you'll know what Im talking about.
Win or loose either way THAT particular lambo didnt leave THAT supra standing still like he's done to others so you gotta give credit to that Supra.

nstyzo6 03-21-2012 03:52 PM

And yes +/-800HP Supra's are beating Stock lambo's....weigh the price differences and in MY OPINION I would say the Supra is a pretty good investment, but thats just me.

Cubman 03-21-2012 04:16 PM

No ricers for me. I don't care how fast they are.:flag:

Milan 03-22-2012 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by Cubman (Post 1580340405)
No ricers for me. I don't care how fast they are.:flag:

LOL....I bet 99% of the things found in your house were made in China though.

This thread has really brought forth the ignorance of the Corvette community for me. Some of the comments in here just exude downright stupidity.

The MKIV Supra is and was one of the best automobiles ever invented. It can do a lot more than just go fast from a roll race. The turbo version of the car had amazing everything from the factory, a great engine, great brakes, an awesome 6-speed tranny was available, etc.

RedZMonte 03-22-2012 08:47 PM

Stock they are not that fast... they are quick but not any quicker then a STI/EVO. Still respectable times especially for the 90's. lol but like most cars they need the driver mod.. and the auto's are slower yet.

1992-8 Factory ratings (per wiki)
3400lbs curbweight on a 6spd (+fluids and driver)
4.9sec 0-60
13.3@109
320hp/315tq

The supra 2JZGTE can handle close to 800 +/- HP stock. the motor is built right from the factory and capable of well over 1200hp modified. big turbo, suspension, fuel system and tune it will be wicked fast. My close friend has a lightly modified '94 he is slowly modding and my other close friend had a 92.5 with a Greddy T78 single on medium boost levels and pump gas made well over 600 on a stock motor.

S

250racer 03-22-2012 11:04 PM

Originally Posted by Milan (Post 1580351620)

This thread has really brought forth the ignorance of the Corvette community for me. Some of the comments in here just exude downright stupidity.

The MKIV Supra is and was one of the best automobiles ever invented. It can do a lot more than just go fast from a roll race. The turbo version of the car had amazing everything from the factory, a great engine, great brakes, an awesome 6-speed tranny was available, etc.

I agree there is some very ignorant people on here who don't know what they're talking about. Supras stock are slow, the great grand nationals stock are a turd, the c5 stock is quick but not a rocketship. When modded all have the potential to be very fast. The supras exhaust note accompanied by the sound of a big single up front is amazing and makes for one hell of a fast car. Everyone talking about how a supra doesn't hook up have you ever tried to launch your vette?

Dominic Toretto 04-29-2012 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by Endeka (Post 1580339564)
An NSX from 20 years ago costs more than a C5 Z06 too. That doesn't make it better.

Agreed with the point. However I'd rather have an NSX than a Supra. Looks more exotic and was a game changing car. For some reason the Supra vs. Corvette threads really gets people's blood pressure spiking, and it's just funny to watch. I actually took a break from this forum for that reason. People taking preferences too seriously. I prefer a C5 over an MK4 Supra for my own reasons. I guess since other people feel differently that makes me "ignorant", funny.

-Alex

Jesse Asis 04-29-2012 09:18 PM

My take is because they don't care if they wreck their cars, it's just a Supra... Vette owners care more... haha..

Build up a 5.7 Vette motor with either supercharger or turbo chargers, the 5.7 has more power than any in line 6...

20vette0107fatboy 04-29-2012 09:21 PM

The C5 corvette looks way way sharper then the supra anyways. I dont care if its faster. The c5 is very fast and the main thing, Your c5 will get more looks then that supra.

usgecko 04-29-2012 09:59 PM

Originally Posted by Milan (Post 1580351620)

Sorry not sure why you would find that idea funny...I think it's sad

TC_1961 04-29-2012 11:05 PM

When I was a little kid in the 60's and 70's...I never and I mean NEVER thought, "someday Im gonna have a Supra".

rttmike 04-29-2012 11:21 PM

Originally Posted by TC_1961 (Post 1580686234)
When I was a little kid in the 60's and 70's...I never and I mean NEVER thought, "someday Im gonna have a Supra".

I am 30 yrs old but I really like this.:cheers:

When the C5 came out, I fealt the same way and I was 16.

AngryTurtle 04-30-2012 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by Jesse Asis (Post 1580685299)
My take is because they don't care if they wreck their cars, it's just a Supra... Vette owners care more... haha..

Build up a 5.7 Vette motor with either supercharger or turbo chargers, the 5.7 has more power than any in line 6...

Wow, just wow. :banghead:

I just dont get how so much of this forum can be so closed minded.

JustinStrife 04-30-2012 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by Gigdy (Post 1580689627)
Wow, just wow. :banghead:

I just dont get how so much of this forum can be so closed minded.

It's primarily the older generations, but there are enough young drivers too who only like what they own, and don't like anything else that's out there. They also can't respect other rides for some reason.

Then there's the racists who hate anything Japanese, and cite WW2 as their reason why. Forgetting the fact that a large segment of our WW2 vets do and did drive Japanese cars years later(my grandfather owned a BMW and a Datsun up until he died in 1996).

Endeka 04-30-2012 02:02 PM

I like the Supra. The price difference is not because Supra owners are not careful, but because the Supra lived through the height of the ricing boom, so finding one without a 6" fart can and lambo doors is hard. That's why they're so valuable.

robdoo68@gmail.com 04-30-2012 05:34 PM

:iagree:

Evil Oil Apologist 04-30-2012 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by damilleniumboy (Post 1580301439)
White folks driving Corvettes are FAT 245+lb; asian guys are around 145lb.:leaving:

Plus, a lot Vettes are driven by old, gray haired white guys. However, I've seen some young white guys driving Supras. Normally they had a hot asian chick for arm candy.

(IMPORTANT:
This posting is intended for the use of the individuals in this thread and may contain information that is confidential privileged or unsuitable for overly sensitive persons with low self-esteem, no sense of humor, or irrational religious beliefs. If you are not the reading this thread, any dissemination, distribution or copying of this post is not authorized (either explicitly or implicitly) and constitutes an irritating social faux pas.

Unless the word absquatulation has been used in its correct context somewhere other than in this warning, it does not have any legal or grammatical use and may be ignored. No animals were harmed in the transmission of this posting, although the pit bull next door is living on borrowed time, let me tell you.

Those of you with an overwhelming fear of the unknown will be gratified to learn that there is no hidden message revealed by reading this warning backwards, so just ignore that Alert Notice from Microsoft.
However, by pouring a complete circle of salt around yourself and your computer you can ensure that no harm befalls you and your pets.

If you have read this post in error, please add some nutmeg and egg whites, whisk and place in a warm oven for 40 minutes.)

:rock:

themonk 04-30-2012 06:30 PM

Stock for stock a C5 will beat a Supra but it's a driver's race.

nvusgt 04-30-2012 07:30 PM

I'm surprised by the comments on the first page, in a good way. Thinking, "wow, these guys can talk about a Supra, respect it for what it is and it's potential." Decided not to read the rest of the pages and find that on the last page it's exactly what I was expecting from the beginning.

Eh, it's whatever though. Some people will never give the mkiv Supra a second thought and there's nothing wrong with that. But to have those same individuals simply shrug it off and say something about rice in reference are simply ignorant. To call yourself a gearhead, or simpler yet a fan of all things automotive only to say something about a make and model in a negative way because it's not "Merican," is done so in rather poor taste. This is not directed at anyone in particular, just my .02 cents on the matter.

As for the Supra, I think it's one of the few japanese cars from the early 90's that made a huge impact of what a company was capable of. The body style, the lines and everything about it even to this day look fantastic. I'm definitely a fan and like the Supra there are many other "rice rockets" out there that I admire and really wouldn't mind owning...in conjunction with my C5Z of course haha.

Dominic Toretto 05-04-2012 04:49 PM

"When I was a little kid in the 60's and 70's...I never and I mean NEVER thought, "someday Im gonna have a Supra"."

LMFAO, so funny yet so true. This pretty much sums it up right here. No matter how many HKS and Greddy parts you put on a Supra it's never a status symbol or dream car. Corvettes STOCK are exactly that.

-Alex

Jesse Asis 05-04-2012 05:48 PM

You know what really surprises me is that some people, who haven't grown up can only talk about "Oh wow, Supra so must faster than a vette". Fast doesn't make a true sports car, so grow up. If you love that Supra so dam'ed much, go on a Supra Forum and please leave this C5 Corvette Forum for people who want to share positive moments with the C5 with others that appreciate a great American sports car.

The C5 was designed to be a sports car, the SUPRA, was designed to be a touring car for a FAMILY not to compete with a C4, C5 or any other sports car. So grow up. Now the NEW Supra may be a little different, if and when it comes out. Like the Nissan GTR, great car in it's ow rights, still not a sports car. Put the GTR with the Camaro, Mustang and BMW M3 together. Put the C5 with the Ford GT40, Viper (old and new), NSX (old and new), apples to apples guys...

This only applies to the guy that thinks some have closed minds.. some have grown up, others still stuck in the quarter mile BS....

Weissy 05-04-2012 06:01 PM

I've always loved the Supras, respected them, know what they can do, etc. But starting last year I started to not care for them so much. Not the cars fault really, but the owners. Mainly MKIV owners I bump into thinking they're (the owners themselves) the tightest **** on the planet cause they have a fast Supra, God's gift to cars, racing, **** talking know it alls, etc.

I know a couple I'm cool with but have just been bumping into one too many that really need to be put in their place and it's always a cocky MKIV owner. I know I shouldn't be hating on the car, its the person, but when you do bump into those people who have the same car, with the same attitude frequently.... Well, you all know.

In regards to the OP and the Supras themselves. Plain and simple, they are well built cars designed to go fast and last.

Grimlock 05-04-2012 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by Jesse Asis (Post 1580729928)
You know what really surprises me is that some people, who haven't grown up can only talk about "Oh wow, Supra so must faster than a vette". Fast doesn't make a true sports car, so grow up. If you love that Supra so dam'ed much, go on a Supra Forum and please leave this C5 Corvette Forum for people who want to share positive moments with the C5 with others that appreciate a great American sports car.

The C5 was designed to be a sports car, the SUPRA, was designed to be a touring car for a FAMILY not to compete with a C4, C5 or any other sports car. So grow up. Now the NEW Supra may be a little different, if and when it comes out. Like the Nissan GTR, great car in it's ow rights, still not a sports car. Put the GTR with the Camaro, Mustang and BMW M3 together. Put the C5 with the Ford GT40, Viper (old and new), NSX (old and new), apples to apples guys...

This only applies to the guy that thinks some have closed minds.. some have grown up, others still stuck in the quarter mile BS....

It is great that you have personal beliefs of what cars compare to what, but you are wrong. The Supra was a direct competitor to cars like the RX7, 300ZX, Porsche 911, NSX, Corvette etc. When the Supra was released it was WAY ahead of it's time, and performed as well or better than anything short of an exotic car. Much like how the '01 Z06 dominated the competition when it was released. You may PERSONALLY think the Supra is different because it is a 2+2, but who says you have the final word on that. Unless you happen to be a designer on the Toyota staff back in 1990, and you can say with certainty what it was designed for. Otherwise you are just stating a conclusion based on personal beliefs (and insulting others by telling them to "grow up.")

The Supra is a great car. So is the Corvette. It isn't mutually exclusive that we can like them both. I try to like all cool cars.

EZ2BEVILC5 05-04-2012 06:47 PM

Supra

It is always the person. Obviously there are some good qualities about Supra's. They have a sports car look. They can be made to handle well. They can be made to go fast. Let's face it with enough money anything can be made fast and to handle well. The Supra has the benefit of starting out Turbo charged. You can buy them cheap then dump money into them. Of course, you could buy a Pinto or Gremlin for $200, spend $10,000 putting a V8 in it and set it up for a 9 second 1/4 mile. I would not want to be caught driving it.

The bottom line if a non car person or girl see's one, there gona say what is that? and here the cocky dude has there life savings in their Supra and has to go around explaining how it is a faster then a Corvette.

Everyone loves Corvettes and the way they look!!!!

onspeed 05-04-2012 06:56 PM

Is this thread just 8 pages of arguing about whether a Supra is better than a Corvette?

Jesse Asis 05-04-2012 07:47 PM

I never stated that the Supra was NOT A GOOD CAR, I just stated that the Corvette was designed on paper to be a sports car. The Supra was not designed ON PAPER to compete with any sports car at it's time (C4 was around then, not the C5). I drove a Supra and I owned a 280ZX back in the days, driven many other vehicles. Some don't seem to understand the differences. As a few of our memembers have stated here, any car modified can go straight and fast, Pinto, Civic, RX7, so what if it CAN.

The Corvette along with a few other vehicles, like the Ford GT40, Dodge Viper were designed from the GET GO to be a Sports Car, power, handling, performance and balance of all put together.. Just being FASTER in a straight line isn't what makes a sports car a sports car... Listen to the title "What make those Supra's so fast", change Supra to any other vehicle you want..IT STILL A 4 SEAT FAMILY CAR ain't it. Go asked the Toyota Engineer this question, "Did you design the Supra to compete with the C4", I bet you he will bow his head and say, "No, not our taget"..

Supra is a great car, but is just isn't on pare STOCK to a C4 or even C5. I'm not knocking the Supra, I'm just stating some FACTs on apples to apples.. don't modify a vehcile and compare it to a stock one... I'm done, sorry for stepping down a few levels. Onspeed was right, it ain't just an arguing thread on which one is better, it's about levels of understanding on what the topic is really about...

Grimlock 05-04-2012 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by Jesse Asis (Post 1580730685)
I never stated that the Supra was NOT A GOOD CAR, I just stated that the Corvette was designed on paper to be a sports car.

MANY would disagree with the above. MANY do NOT consider the Corvette a sports car. A "pure" sports car would be a Mazda Miata, Lotus Elise, Triumph, etc. To a true sports car purist, the Corvette is way too heavy to be a sports car, and is a grand touring car.

Many people used to argue if a Corvette was a muscle car. Or if a AC Cobra was a muscle car. Etc.

This comes down to whatever YOU want to believe. But don't expect everyone in the world to think your personal opinion is a fact.

The Supra was not designed ON PAPER to compete with any sports car at it's time (C4 was around then, not the C5).

How do you know this? How old are you? Not trying to be a jerk, but if you lived through the era, the Supra was indeed considered a sports car by every magazine. The magazines compared the Supra to the RXY to Vette to the NSX to the 911, etc. Are they all slightly different? Yes. I suspect you are a but younger and maybe weren't following cars back in the late 1980's and early 1990's. At the time, the Supra was considered revolutionary (much like the '01 Z06).

I drove a Supra and I owned a 280ZX back in the days, driven many other vehicles. Some don't seem to understand the differences.

I understand the differences. I used to own a MARK II Supra Turbo. Not my favorite car at all. It was OK.

As a few of our memembers have stated here, any car modified can go straight and fast, Pinto, Civic, RX7, so what if it CAN.

Totally agree.

The Corvette along with a few other vehicles, like the Ford GT40, Dodge Viper were designed from the GET GO to be a Sports Car, power, handling, performance and balance of all put together..

The Mark IV Supra belongs in that group. Though really, the Viper and Ford GT (I assume you mean the Ford GT, not a GT40 from the '60s) are MUCH lower production cars and really not designed anything like the Corvette. The Corvette is fairly unique because is offers great performance at a low price. So they produce FAR more cars in comparison to Vipers and Ford GTs.

Just being FASTER in a straight line isn't what makes a sports car a sports car...

Totally agree. I am a handling guy. I love power, but I want a car that can handle well too.

Listen to the title "What make those Supra's so fast", change Supra to any other vehicle you want..IT STILL A 4 SEAT FAMILY CAR ain't it.

The Supra flat out is NOT a "4 Seat Family Car". That would be a Camry. The Supra was made to be a high end, ultra performance car (especially in TT trim.) I would guess they were targeting the 300ZX, RX7 and Corvette (in that order).

Go asked the Toyota Engineer this question, "Did you design the Supra to compete with the C4", I bet you he will bow his head and say, "No, not our taget"..

I disagree. I am sure the Vette was definitely a target. Similar prices and a similar target buyer.

Supra is a great car, but is just isn't on pare STOCK to a C4 or even C5.

Wow, you are way off here. The Supra TT would DESTROY a C4 short of a ZR1. And even then, a Supra had a shot of beating the ZR1. Not to mention the Supra was considered a better handling car than the C4. But the C4 was very dated by the time the Supra TT came out. The C5 was a game changer.

I'm not knocking the Supra, I'm just stating some FACTs on apples to apples..

You are stating almost all opinion supported by almost zero facts. Seriously, I don't see one fact posted. I see lots of conclusions made based on opinion though.

don't modify a vehcile and compare it to a stock one...

Agreed 100%. But it is fair to compare how easy it is to modify a car and get results for X dollars. But that is somewhat subjective. I really don't know who would win in that comparison Supra vs Corvette. I don't know much about modding a Supra.

I'm done, sorry for stepping down a few levels. Onspeed was right, it ain't just an arguing thread on which one is better, it's about levels of understanding on what the topic is really about...

I like to try to remain balanced. I like all types of cars. I don't think I would ever buy a Mark IV Supra, and I would prefer my C5 any day. But that doesn't mean that the Supra is any less of a car. It is a great car, and I am glad people still enjoy them. I know when they first came out, I definitely wanted one! I also know that when the Z06 came out in '01 I wanted one....and now I do. So you can see which I lusted over more. :thumbs:

thechosenone 05-04-2012 08:42 PM

Wish Toyota would have made more. The fan boys really keep those prices high.

I love my C5Z but would not mind a Supra next to it at all.

FYRARMS 05-04-2012 09:00 PM

I drove a Supra and I owned a 280ZX back in the days, driven many other vehicles. Some don't seem to understand the differences.

I am probably one of just a few people here who has actually owned a C4 Corvette, a C5 Corvette, and a MKIV Supra. It is quite obvious from your posts that you don't seem to understand the differences.

The Corvette along with a few other vehicles, like the Ford GT40, Dodge Viper were designed from the GET GO to be a Sports Car, power, handling, performance and balance of all put together.. Just being FASTER in a straight line isn't what makes a sports car a sports car
Based on the cars you have listed, the only requirement to be a "sports car" is to have just 2 seats. For example, you not considering the Nissan GTR a sports car is quite laughable.

Listen to the title "What make those Supra's so fast", change Supra to any other vehicle you want..IT STILL A 4 SEAT FAMILY CAR ain't it.
No, it "ain't". It is barely a 2+2 GT. The tiny back seat was just installed for Japanese tax break purposes. To quote Car & Driver magazine, "The Supra should be considered a two-seater". An adult will never fit back there. With the seats back in a comfortable position, the front seat backs touch the rear seat cushions.

Go asked the Toyota Engineer this question, "Did you design the Supra to compete with the C4", I bet you he will bow his head and say, "No, not our taget"
Correct---he would say "in addition to the Corvette, our targets were the 300ZX, the Mazda RX7, the 3000GTVR4, etc."

Supra is a great car, but is just isn't on pare STOCK to a C4 or even C5.
The C4 could barely keep up. Only the C5 offered performance equal to that of the Supra.

I'm not knocking the Supra, I'm just stating some FACTs on apples to apples
Apples to apples? You put the C5 Vette in the same class as the Ford GT. LOL!!! :lol:

I swear, only people intimately familiar with the vehicles in question should offer any type of "facts".

JustinStrife 05-04-2012 09:05 PM

I never stated that the Supra was NOT A GOOD CAR, I just stated that the Corvette was designed on paper to be a sports car. The Supra was not designed ON PAPER to compete with any sports car at it's time (C4 was around then, not the C5). I drove a Supra and I owned a 280ZX back in the days, driven many other vehicles. Some don't seem to understand the differences. As a few of our memembers have stated here, any car modified can go straight and fast, Pinto, Civic, RX7, so what if it CAN.

The Corvette along with a few other vehicles, like the Ford GT40, Dodge Viper were designed from the GET GO to be a Sports Car, power, handling, performance and balance of all put together.. Just being FASTER in a straight line isn't what makes a sports car a sports car... Listen to the title "What make those Supra's so fast", change Supra to any other vehicle you want..IT STILL A 4 SEAT FAMILY CAR ain't it. Go asked the Toyota Engineer this question, "Did you design the Supra to compete with the C4", I bet you he will bow his head and say, "No, not our taget"..

Supra is a great car, but is just isn't on pare STOCK to a C4 or even C5. I'm not knocking the Supra, I'm just stating some FACTs on apples to apples.. don't modify a vehcile and compare it to a stock one... I'm done, sorry for stepping down a few levels. Onspeed was right, it ain't just an arguing thread on which one is better, it's about levels of understanding on what the topic is really about...

So much ignorance in this post. :nonod:

1badc5GoStrong 05-04-2012 09:08 PM

Yes i have

Turbos on V6's are bad azz. I was just checking them out last night looking for one to buy. The japs are just getting back at us. LOL! Seriously one bad azz block that takes much abuse and turbos are hands down the most efficient power producers on planet earth.

FYRARMS 05-04-2012 09:13 PM

Originally Posted by 1badc5GoStrong (Post 1580731248)
Turbos on V6's are bad azz.

What does that have to do with Supras?

Jesse Asis 05-05-2012 02:03 AM

OK, sorry for giving my opinion, .... I'll end it now..... thanks for all the feed back, will keep my opinions to myself on the C5 on this C5 forum, didn't want to hurt anyones feelings anymore.. You guys are so right.... The C5 is just a..... car, that's all..

TC_1961 05-05-2012 03:24 AM

Has a Supra ever been a class winner at LeMans?

JustinStrife 05-05-2012 03:25 AM

Originally Posted by Jesse Asis (Post 1580732900)
OK, sorry for giving my opinion, .... I'll end it now..... thanks for all the feed back, will keep my opinions to myself on the C5 on this C5 forum, didn't want to hurt anyones feelings anymore.. You guys are so right.... The C5 is just a..... car, that's all..

A lot of C5 owners have owned other cars. Some have dreams of owning other cars to go with their Corvettes. Just because this is a C5 sub-forum, does not mean it's a chit on every other car that isn't a C5 let alone a Corvette section. Because it isn't.

Your opinion wouldn't be so bad, if it wasn't so ignorant and void of facts Jesse. That's why you are getting beat on so much. Your posts are just flat out ignorant, just like this one. The only feelings getting hurt around here, are yours.

And the C5 isn't JUST a car. It's a car that we all love and enjoy. But please go on. Continue to distort and twist what we say into something else entirely.

Grimlock 05-05-2012 08:05 AM

Originally Posted by TC_1961 (Post 1580733036)
Has a Supra ever been a class winner at LeMans?

What does that have to do with anything? If that is your standard for what makes a great street car, then I expect you own a Porsche.

MawneeC5 05-05-2012 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by onspeed (Post 1580730372)
Is this thread just 8 pages of arguing about whether a Supra is better than a Corvette?

yes, yes it is.

Dominic Toretto 05-05-2012 10:43 AM

You guys do realize that no matter which side you are arguing, that the other side is too opinionated to accept your argument right? It's honestly not worth anyones time to try to convince the opposing side of your argument. This has been beat to death. We are all car guys, so what if someone prefers a different car? Enjoy your car. If someone else doesn't, oh well, move on.

Just to share a moment I had the other day. I was driving to work earlier this week, windows down, music loud enjoying the ride of course. I noticed an early 90s V6 Camaro on the road. Some teenage kid in it with a girl enjoying their ride just the same. They looked over and said "cool car" and I gave them a thumbs up. Of course my car is "better" than the Camaro but they were having a great day and who am I to rain on their parade? On the other hand there is a guy down the street from me that owns an E36 M3, late model Miata and a 996 Turbo. While he obviously isn't into American cars as much, we can talk for hours and appreciate both of our cars. He may not be into my Corvette but he does give it credit even though his Porsche would handidly beat my C5. Everyone needs to lighten up. Go detail your cars guys and go for an aimless drive.

-Alex

jimb100 05-05-2012 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by Jesse Asis (Post 1580732900)

I've owned all three, the Supra, the C4 and the C5.

The Supra is better than the C4. In some ways the C5 is better but the Supra is a tidier package and doesn't feel as bulky.

Personally, I prefer the C5 but then I prefer a bit more of the muscle car feel than the average sports car provides and I'm willing to put up with the extra bulk.

Detoxx03 05-05-2012 02:12 PM

Lots of stupidity in this thread. I respect supra's and a lot more since I have friends with them and I've learned more about them. They are insanely fast and reliable and those two words never go together when talking horsepower. They aren't on my list of cars I would like to own but I aprreciate what they offer. As a Corvette owner, GM fan, and most importantly Car Enthusiast I'm disappointed by the lack of knowledge displayed here.

TC_1961 05-05-2012 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by Grimlock (Post 1580733451)
What does that have to do with anything? If that is your standard for what makes a great street car, then I expect you own a Porsche.

How does it feel to be wrong? I am on a C5 forum, therefore thats what I drive. Only.

Corvette has won GT1 and GTS class there. You should have known that.

Grimlock 05-05-2012 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by TC_1961 (Post 1580737564)
How does it feel to be wrong? I am on a C5 forum, therefore thats what I drive. Only.

Corvette has won GT1 and GTS class there. You should have known that.

But Porsche has dominated LeMans more than any other manufacturer BY FAR. Porsche has 16 overall wins, and seven in a row (most by the 956/962 I believe). So if LeMans performance is your measuring stick, then you should switch cars. And I am well aware of Corvette's wins.

I suggest you upgrade to a Dauer 962. Now there is a SERIOUS car.

And obviously I am kidding around, the Dauer 962 isn't even street legal in the USA last I checked. Too bad, they ROCK!

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n...62_le_mans.jpg

or just stick with the basic 962 track car

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n...20505-1105.jpg

Toque 05-05-2012 08:56 PM

If I see a Supra in Dallas I have a TON of respect. :yesnod:

If you have ever been in my area (texas in general). You know that there are a TON of modified cars here. I don't think I have ever seen a un-modified Supra. They are all modded around here ! I know better than to poke at the Lion... :lol:

Its no surprise they are still the most highly sought after tuner car out there, and still retain a very high resale value. They are bad azz looking too ! Way ahead of there time. :yesnod:

Toque

trenchgun 05-05-2012 09:40 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ENcjPwj92uk

Entertainment only, video not trying to prove anything, have fun,
it's the weekend....

Grimlock 05-05-2012 09:51 PM

Originally Posted by trenchgun (Post 1580738217)

Sweet Jebus that Supra is fast....but it seems to be VERY far from stock. Still, very impressive! I would rather have the Z06 anyway, but that is one FAST Supra! :eek:

FYRARMS 05-05-2012 09:52 PM

Not sure what a video of a modifed Supra racing a stock Z06 proves, but, okay.

Grimlock 05-05-2012 10:00 PM

Originally Posted by FYRARMS (Post 1580738308)
Not sure what a video of a modifed Supra racing a stock Z06 proves, but, okay.

Proves nothing. But it does help to give a reference on how quick that modified Supra is. A stock C6Z is a fast car, and that Supra was MUCH faster. But you are right it proves nothing if you care about stock vs stock.

Jesse Asis 05-05-2012 10:11 PM

Watch out guys, a Pinto will be shown on Youtube beatig a C5, and then those dudes will come on and say the Pinto was designed to compete with the C5, you can't win with these guys.... last word to the ignorant!

TC_1961 05-06-2012 12:48 AM

Grim, how did this get to involve Porsche? All I asked was how many times a damn ol Supra won LeMans. Thats it.

To me, im MY world....CHEVROLETS RULE!

Period....no measuring stick needed. Its NO contest.

Dominic Toretto 05-08-2012 06:43 PM

Wonder how long the mods are going to allow this thread to continue? Here's another post count increase for my account :)

-Alex

Mike98SilVert 05-08-2012 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by Dominic Toretto (Post 1580761033)
Wonder how long the mods are going to allow this thread to continue? -Alex

:iagree: What does this have to do with C5's?

thechosenone 05-08-2012 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by Mike98SilVert (Post 1580761127)
:iagree: What does this have to do with C5's?

I need NOS.

Dominic Toretto 05-08-2012 06:55 PM

Has as much do to with C5's as the the rest of this thread. Should be in OTOC. Why this is in the C5 general section is anyone's guess.

-Alex

onspeed 05-08-2012 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by KLR Z06 (Post 1580761135)
I need NOS.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDmKr8slxmk

Toque 05-08-2012 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by KLR Z06 (Post 1580761135)
I need NOS.

:D

Brackneyc 05-08-2012 07:05 PM

I saw a fast Supra in The Fast and the Furious. It beat a Ferrari. I know that was real.

2fas2c 05-11-2012 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by ztheusa (Post 1580300429)
Power to weight ratio. NOTHING else.

C5's and MKV Supra's weigh nearly the same amount

MKV Supra 3254 LBS
C5 Vette 3218 LBS

2fas2c 05-11-2012 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by Toque (Post 1580761222)

:D

ForceFed_231 08-07-2012 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by Kman1971 (Post 1580300387)
My favorite muscle car is my 1989 Turbo Trans Am. It has the Buick GNX engine in it with modified heads to fit under the hood of the Trans Am. It is such a beast and will out run any stock car today with the right tires and proper launching technique. Not bad for a 23 year old car. There is just a different feeling when that Turbo kicks in, the sound it make going up and whistling down, the car just sits down and grinds in and soars with the aerodymanics as other cars with monster hp just spin their tires and try to catch up. Top end is reported at 160+, 140 is as brave as I got with it.

With that said, the C5 has it all, looks, style, comfort, class, RELIABILITY, and even gets better gas milage than the V6. I would love to add a turbo kit to it someday to see how it would stack up against my old bird. The ZR1 is a world class super car and does not compare to any of these. 220 on the gauge, just incredible. Best of all, the TTA and Vette are American made, I'll take either one over a Toyota or Nissan. JMHO... To each their own.

I have a 1986 Buick Grand National. 1987 Grand National motor is unchanged. The 1989 Turbo Trans Am indeed does have the same engine block as a GNX and a Grand National, as a matter of fact the GNX 3.8L = Grand National 3.8L. They are identical and as far as I know the Turbo Trans Am, which is the quickest and fastest Trans Am ever produced, has an identical 3.8L engine. There were no internal engine modifications done for the GNX. It got a more efficient intercooler, a modified turbo, less restrictive exhaust system and upgraded suspension with 255 tires. The suspension was the major upgrade that made the GNX take off like a bat out of hell. In 1987 0-60 was 4.6s with a quarter mile at 13.2 @ 100mph+.

ForceFed_231 08-07-2012 05:28 PM

Those Supra's with their inline 6 cyl. turbo is kicking a lot of Corvette a$$!:eek:

You can go to Youtube and see Turbo Buick Regals kicking the crap out of vettes as well with a single CAM pushrod 231ci v6 engine. The stage version of this engine has propelled dragstrip cars down the 1/4 mile in the high 6s range and full weight street legal Grand Nationals to high 7s 1/4 runs. Go to youtube and type Tony Gomes or Dave Fiscus.

Also Supra's without the proper gearing or running NOS are relatively speaking slow, off the line. Especially ones that need to spool monsterous turbos, but can be incredibly fast. I just saw a video of a Supra at Milan Dragway from 7/21/12 and the guy said it was 4.2s 1/8 mile car. I suppose that is well into the 6s range. When it took off, it was among the fastest cars I have ever seen. There is only so far that 3.4L(bored and stroked) will take you.

Before you say well technology has helped the Buick v6 engines push these amazing limits, in 1986 Buddy Ingersoll ran his twin turbo Buick(268ci) to 7.14s @198mph. He did it with mechanical fuel injection and was on the verge of getting turbo cars into the NHRA or whatever. Ricky Smith cried like a little baby to Ford Motor Company and they threatened to pull sponsorship if a 268ci v6 engine was going to beat their 700ci+ engine cars.

All in what you have to spend. I watched a Turbo T race a Supra on the 28th and the Turbo T, same engine as the Grand National, lite the Supra up. It wasn't even close off the line. The Supra had too big of a turbo and they wanted to keep it fair, one power adder a piece. So the Supra couldn't use NOS and I don't think he would want to on the street. Too dangerous.

DSTURBD 08-07-2012 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by damilleniumboy (Post 1580301439)
White folks driving Corvettes are FAT 245+lb; asian guys are around 145lb.:leaving:

HEY!!!!!! I resemble that remark!!!!! :headbang: :headbang:

DSTURBD

ThumperNC24 08-07-2012 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by Silverbullet00 (Post 1580306060)
Since there will always be cars fster than mine no matter what kind of car I have,,,,,, I'll drive America's Sportcar and never envy or bow to anyone!

Besides, ask a kid or a woman,,,Ricer or Vette,,,,nuff said!:thumbs:

I'd hardly call the Supra a ricer.

Take a look back at Supras, 3000GT VR-4, RX7.

All of those were back when it was still the C4....and they blew the C4 (sans ZR1) out of the water in every way.

Supra's are sweet cars, but they definitely demand a serious premium now a days. Im happy with my C5Z even though it will be a lot slower in a straight line than most modded supras. If I want to be faster i'll just build a lsx for boost and turbo it.....when I get pockets as deep as most of those high hp supra guys haha

I should have read more of this mess before I replied.

This thread gives a lot of corvette owner's a bad name.

orangeclaw 08-07-2012 08:01 PM

I knew a woman... yes a WOMAN!!!! with a nasty twin turbo supra while I lived in japan. SOO FAST! She could drive the heck out of it too!

FYRARMS 08-07-2012 09:40 PM

Originally Posted by orangeclaw (Post 1581512802)
I knew a woman... yes a WOMAN!!!! with a nasty twin turbo supra while I lived in japan. SOO FAST! She could drive the heck out of it too!

They own and drive fast ones here in America. Is low 8's fast enough? LOL

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-dWLKzJcGH0...on+Supra+2.jpg

orangeclaw 08-07-2012 10:07 PM

Originally Posted by FYRARMS (Post 1581513610)
They own and drive fast ones here in America. Is low 8's fast enough? LOL

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-dWLKzJcGH0...on+Supra+2.jpg

everything about that picture is beautiful.. hahah

FYRARMS 08-07-2012 11:27 PM

Not a fan of Jessica's fake watermelons, either. However, I have never found her to be stuck up. In fact, she is pretty cool in person. First met her back in 2002 or so, when I was working for one of the original TX2K sponsors.

Boba Fett 08-08-2012 03:02 AM

great thread - shows who are the true car guys and those who are just fans of what they drive...:lol:

Toque 08-08-2012 03:38 AM

Originally Posted by bobafett (Post 1581515278)
great thread - shows who are the true car guys and those who are just fans of what they drive...:lol:

I agree. :yesnod:

Supra's are sweet rides and i'd love to have one next to my Z in my garage !

Toque

Boba Fett 08-08-2012 03:55 AM

Originally Posted by Toque (Post 1580737913)
If I see a Supra in Dallas I have a TON of respect. :yesnod:

If you have ever been in my area (texas in general). You know that there are a TON of modified cars here. I don't think I have ever seen a un-modified Supra. They are all modded around here ! I know better than to poke at the Lion... :lol:

Its no surprise they are still the most highly sought after tuner car out there, and still retain a very high resale value. They are bad azz looking too ! Way ahead of there time. :yesnod:

Toque

you hit the nail on the head with this 1...:yesnod:
I dont know if they're "the most" sought after, but they are certainly up there. They were bad right out of the box and if my memory serves me correctly, Motortrend called them "flawless".
Some of what I read here reminds me of the way the Cobra (03/04's) and the new ones get bashed over in the C6 section - or does that go on over here too????:lol:

JustinStrife 08-08-2012 05:16 AM

Originally Posted by bobafett (Post 1581515278)

Originally Posted by Toque (Post 1581515340)
I agree. :yesnod:

Supra's are sweet rides and i'd love to have one next to my Z in my garage !

Toque

:iagree::iagree: I'll have one someday next to my FRC. :rock:

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b1...Cars/supra.jpg

Boba Fett 08-08-2012 10:55 PM

wouldnt mind 1 myself....:thumbs:

vettestream 08-08-2012 11:10 PM

Lol you can definitely tell who the true car guys are in this thread...supra's are no joke in a straight line with the correct mods, I would like to add one to the stable some day

FYRARMS 08-09-2012 12:34 AM

Originally Posted by vettestream (Post 1581522923)
supra's are no joke in a straight line with the correct mods

They are also extremely capable around turns. I have no idea why people think they aren't. Fully independent IRS, awesome transmission and diff gearing, and some of the best brakes offered in a production car back then.

Boba Fett 08-09-2012 12:54 AM

Originally Posted by FYRARMS (Post 1581523452)
They are also extremely capable around turns. I have no idea why people think they aren't. Fully independent IRS, awesome transmission and diff gearing, and some of the best brakes offered in a production car back then.

agree completely - the car entirely was simply b4 its time, its just sad that theres so many "car enthusiasts" that refuse to ack this...:crazy2:

quick04Z06 03-25-2015 05:31 PM

Simple--speed costs money; how fast do you want to go? Stock Supra turbos had 320 bhp. Making 1000 bhp is easy today in any car--if you spend enough.

I can make a Vega outrun a Supra if I spend enough.

Racing modded cars is silly. That is why in real, sanctioned racing every car must meet a spec so you do not end up with a golf cart racing an F-16....

1Willy1 03-25-2015 07:00 PM

Arghhhh not again.

I had to sit through this Supra fan boy crap on the Lexus forums for years.

They look like a dogs behind and they are the most overpriced , ricer boy car, in history.

Johnny wangwang 03-25-2015 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by quick04Z06 (Post 1589266252)
Simple--speed costs money; how fast do you want to go? Stock Supra turbos had 320 bhp. Making 1000 bhp is easy today in any car--if you spend enough.

I can make a Vega outrun a Supra if I spend enough.

Racing modded cars is silly. That is why in real, sanctioned racing every car must meet a spec so you do not end up with a golf cart racing an F-16....

Welcome back to 2012:rofl:! Everything you said is true. But can you make that 1000bhp on the stock unopened block like the 2jz can?

Originally Posted by 1Willy1 (Post 1589266793)
Arghhhh not again.

I had to sit through this Supra fan boy crap on the Lexus forums for years.

They look like a dogs behind and they are the most overpriced , ricer boy car, in history.

Calling a Supra ugly is just rediculous! They are over priced though. If I were going to do it Id take the 2jz and put it in an S2000. The Supra is too heavy. But the sound and the power potential of the car bone stock cant be ignored!

1Willy1 03-25-2015 07:17 PM

2 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Johnny wangwang (Post 1589266843)

Calling a Supra ugly is just rediculous! They are over priced though. If I were going to do it Id take the 2jz and put it in an S2000. The Supra is too heavy. But the sound and the power potential of the car bone stock cant be ignored!

The 2J is a good , proven engine, the thing is it can be found (N/A) in a few other, much better vehicles.

The Lexus SC300 and the Lexus IS300.

It can also be found in the TT version in a few other Toyotas from Japan.

If it wasn't for the fast and the furious the supra would of never gained the hype that it did.

To me it looks no better then a Hyundai Tiburon or a Celica.

Mediocre at best.

dbgoodwin 03-25-2015 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by 1Willy1 (Post 1589266896)
The 2J is a good , proven engine, the thing is it can be found (N/A) in a few other, much better vehicles.

The Lexus SC300 and the Lexus IS300.

It can also be found in the TT version in a few other Toyotas from Japan.

If it wasn't for the fast and the furious the supra would of never gained the hype that it did.

To me it looks no better then a Hyundai Tiburon or a Celica.

Mediocre at best.

Your opinion will no longer ever be listened to by anyone in the automotive industry. Sc300 better than a supra? How? By being heavier and not factory turbo? I love the is300, it looks like a corolla with a nicer interior and rear wheel drive platform.

1Willy1 03-25-2015 08:24 PM

3 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by dbgoodwin (Post 1589267237)
Your opinion will no longer ever be listened to by anyone in the automotive industry. Sc300 better than a supra? How? By being heavier and not factory turbo? I love the is300, it looks like a corolla with a nicer interior and rear wheel drive platform.

Gotta be kidding me man, theres no comparison between the sc300 and the supra.

The SC is a luxury platform, MUCH better looking, better interior, more comfortable and its a Lexus.

Here are a few stock examples(minus wheels), when modified these cars are still up their with the best of them.

For some people speed seems to be the only thing they care about.

As for me the overall package is what matters most, exterior styling, interior styling, comfort, power and reliability.

dbgoodwin 03-25-2015 10:18 PM

Originally Posted by 1Willy1 (Post 1589267352)
Gotta be kidding me man, theres no comparison between the sc300 and the supra.

The SC is a luxury platform, MUCH better looking, better interior, more comfortable and its a Lexus.

Here are a few stock examples(minus wheels), when modified these cars are still up their with the best of them.

For some people speed seems to be the only thing they care about.

As for me the overall package is what matters most, exterior styling, interior styling, comfort, power and reliability.

Forgive me if I don't understand, but you're on a corvette website. No corvette ever mad has ever been, or ever will be, a luxury platform. It's as far from a luxury platform as can be in fact. The supra is a sports car platform, just like the corvette. The SC is a big heavy lumbering slow car that handles poorly and doesn't make any notable power. The inside isn't particularly nice and it's as exciting as a smart car. I love them, but that's the truth of it. Anyone who thinks the supra sucks clearly had a supra owner bully him in school or something. You're acting like honda guys who talk down on corvettes.