CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C5 General (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-general-103/)
-   -   What make those Supra's so fast? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-general/3021094-what-make-those-supras-so-fast.html)

SacCityCorvette 03-16-2012 06:43 PM

What make those Supra's so fast?

Have you gone on YouTube and search Corvette vs Supra?
Those Supra's with their inline 6 cyl. turbo is kicking a lot of Corvette a$$!:eek:
Why?? :toetap:

Mr.Bill 03-16-2012 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by SacCityCorvette (Post 1580298746)
Those Supra's with their inline 6 cyl. turbo is kicking a lot of Corvette a$$!:eek:

Because the guys driving the Corvettes need the driver mod.
Do you guys sell the driver mod?:rofl:

FYRARMS 03-16-2012 06:53 PM

Incredibly durable engine + lots of boost from a large turbo + efficient cylinder head + perfect gearing + good aero = very fast car.

I miss mine dearly... :salute:

Bakerking31 03-16-2012 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by FYRARMS (Post 1580298821)
Incredibly durable engine + lots of boost from a large turbo + efficient cylinder head + perfect gearing + good aero = very fast car.

yup

Their engine is a great engine for boost and with a large turbo in there you can just dial up the boost and off you go.

Ona mission 03-16-2012 07:21 PM

We didn't eat our Wheaties? :willy:

Most of the ones I looked at the vettes are getting creamed at the light, I'd first have to look at overall gear ratio at launch. Most of the videos you can't see the ET's/trap speed well or at all.

The supra'a are definitely making horsepower and getting it to the ground. Turbo inline should make good power but suprisingly we still have a weight advantage, don't know what the Supras top speed is.

Ona mission 03-16-2012 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by Mr.Bill (Post 1580298795)

:iagree::iagree:

:cheers: Mr.Bill

airbrush1 03-16-2012 09:10 PM

Because just about anything with forced induction can be dialed way up without all that much work... Add that to the "bulletproof" 2jztt and it's a recipe for huge hp...

meine96ws6 03-16-2012 09:17 PM

Proven motor... plus boost..its sick

96mogt 03-16-2012 09:17 PM

+10000000000000000000000000000000

Supra is on my bucket list for cars. Absolutely love them!! Jay:cheers:

pantherchams 03-16-2012 09:39 PM

Agree with everyone, turbo cars are awesome. I bought my c5 to replace my stealth rt/tt, and that thing hauled ass. It had chump change in performance mods and would spank my stock vette. And supras have sooo much more potential than stealth/3000gts.
Ben

Kman1971 03-16-2012 10:03 PM

My favorite muscle car is my 1989 Turbo Trans Am. It has the Buick GNX engine in it with modified heads to fit under the hood of the Trans Am. It is such a beast and will out run any stock car today with the right tires and proper launching technique. Not bad for a 23 year old car. There is just a different feeling when that Turbo kicks in, the sound it make going up and whistling down, the car just sits down and grinds in and soars with the aerodymanics as other cars with monster hp just spin their tires and try to catch up. Top end is reported at 160+, 140 is as brave as I got with it.

With that said, the C5 has it all, looks, style, comfort, class, RELIABILITY, and even gets better gas milage than the V6. I would love to add a turbo kit to it someday to see how it would stack up against my old bird. The ZR1 is a world class super car and does not compare to any of these. 220 on the gauge, just incredible. Best of all, the TTA and Vette are American made, I'll take either one over a Toyota or Nissan. JMHO... To each their own.

ztheusa 03-16-2012 10:07 PM

What make those Supra's so fast?

Power to weight ratio. NOTHING else.

3318C5 03-16-2012 10:16 PM

:iagree: Like some one else said, I hope to own it one day (along with the vette of course).

Robert 2000 03-16-2012 11:06 PM

A BIG turbo and they push 700 rwhp all the time stock bottom. I have a couple friends with Supras they are fast.

JustinStrife 03-17-2012 12:29 AM

One of the Japanese cars you NEED to respect...

Vetteriffic 03-17-2012 12:30 AM

YEEEEP !!!! that is a big part of the problem....sell them some ...uhhhhh....testosterone...yep that'll help.....:leaving::eek::yesnod:

but they are cool.....

damilleniumboy 03-17-2012 12:33 AM

White folks driving Corvettes are FAT 245+lb; asian guys are around 145lb.:leaving:

hotrod03 03-17-2012 12:48 AM

Would my 500hp C5 beat the supra

Qwik01 03-17-2012 12:52 AM

I love Supra's. You can also say the same about evo's. Lots of those out there taking names.

FYRARMS 03-17-2012 01:02 AM

Originally Posted by ztheusa (Post 1580300429)

Wrong.

Originally Posted by hotrod03 (Post 1580301504)
Would my 500hp C5 beat the supra

Which Supra? There are always faster cars. With 500rwhp, you will beat some and lose to some.

flaagan 03-17-2012 04:20 AM

I'll say two things about my experience with Supras.

1) Two friends have them, one's busted all the time and held together like a junkyard heap. The other's a bit of a speed nut and has stripped the interior and such down like crazy, to the point his instrument cluster is held in place by zip ties. My '01 'vette, untouched, weighs less than his 'stripped out' Supra.

2) There is a running gag regarding Supras:
Q: What's the difference between 600, 900, and 1300 hp Supras?
A: Nothing, they're all 13 second cars.
:rofl:

99FRC Newb 03-17-2012 07:07 AM

notice that most of those videos are from a roll. they have big turbos and from a roll, the lag isn't as noticeable. watch some videos from a dead stop and it'll be a different story. look at how much lag this one has

http://image.turbomagazine.com/f/263...4_psi_dyno.jpg

Dominic Toretto 03-17-2012 02:32 PM

These Supra threads are coming up a lot more now.

There are plenty of cars that you can MAKE faster than a Corvette. Hell you can youtube videos of Civics beating Vipers. Stock for stock C5s walk Supras all day and that doesn't even include C5ZO6s.

What makes those Supras so fast? Deep pockets.

-Alex

FYRARMS 03-17-2012 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by flaagan (Post 1580301892)
2) There is a running gag regarding Supras:
Q: What's the difference between 600, 900, and 1300 hp Supras?
A: Nothing, they're all 13 second cars.

Welcome to 1999 internet jokes.

Originally Posted by 99FRC Newb (Post 1580302071)
notice that most of those videos are from a roll. they have big turbos and from a roll, the lag isn't as noticeable. watch some videos from a dead stop and it'll be a different story.

If a Supra is "laggy" from a dead stop, it is the driver's fault. A driver who launches the car properly will launch extremely hard. Sticky tires and a good clutch? Yep...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08Sftw6UyFE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AaM1qCc7SCc

SacCityCorvette 03-17-2012 03:14 PM

Maybe I am wrong but it seems like they can make more power per cubic inch then our LS engines can.:eek:

phinfan 03-17-2012 03:18 PM

Guys, there is really no mystery to it, there is a very reasonable explanation for everything.

I owned Grand Nationals for about 15 years, when you want to make a forced induction car faster, it is easiest to think of your engine as a air machine, and the the quicker, and more efficiently you move more air through your engine, the stronger it will be.

Turbos for the most part are the most efficient form of forced induction, super chargers spend too much HP moving the belt, and blower.

You also must understand "atmospheres", or pressure, or boost. One atmosphere is ~14.7 psi, and that is what we walk around in, and what the pressure of air is inside our normally aspirated engines.

Cars like my GN came from the factory making ~14.5 pounds of boost maximum, so at full boost, there was ~two atmospheres of pressure inside the manifold, going into the cylinders, making a 231 cu inch car produce power roughly equivalent to a car with 462 CI, as far as air going in and out.

I had friends that raced with over 30 pounds of boost, which is over three atmospheres of pressure, or 3 Bar i think.

Now this is a fundamental way of looking at it, and the way the car is set up, and what it can handle, has much to do with it, but if you are setting a car up for boost, it is a complete different method than setting it up a normally aspirated one.

The Supra, is over engineered, and from what i understand, able to take quite a bit of boost, even in its stock form, while the GN, although a great car, was engineered to do the most it could with a passenger car block.

Also, as the gentleman above me said, if you do not think you can make a turbo launch REAL HARD, you just have no experience with one, GN's just needed a loose torque converter, and a driver that new what he was doing, and they came off the line like they were shot out of a cannon.

SacCityCorvette 03-17-2012 03:19 PM

Good one Mr.Bill!:rofl:

Kman1971 03-17-2012 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by phinfan (Post 1580304704)
Guys, there is really no mystery to it, there is a very reasonable explanation for everything.

I owned Grand Nationals for about 15 years, when you want to make a forced induction car faster, it is easiest to think of your engine as a air machine, and the the quicker, and more efficiently you move more air through your engine, the stronger it will be.

Turbos for the most part are the most efficient form of forced induction, super chargers spend too much HP moving the belt, and blower.

You also must understand "atmospheres", or pressure, or boost. One atmosphere is ~14.7 psi, and that is what we walk around in, and what the pressure of air is inside our normally aspirated engines.

Cars like my GN came from the factory making ~14.5 pounds of boost maximum, so at full boost, there was ~two atmospheres of pressure inside the manifold, going into the cylinders, making a 231 cu inch car produce power roughly equivalent to a car with 462 CI, as far as air going in and out.

I had friends that raced with over 30 pounds of boost, which is over three atmospheres of pressure, or 3 Bar i think.

Now this is a fundamental way of looking at it, and the way the car is set up, and what it can handle, has much to do with it, but if you are setting a car up for boost, it is a complete different method than setting it up a normally aspirated one.

The Supra, is over engineered, and from what i understand, able to take quite a bit of boost, even in its stock form, while the GN, although a great car, was engineered to do the most it could with a passenger car block.

Also, as the gentleman above me said, if you do not think you can make a turbo launch REAL HARD, you just have no experience with one, GN's just needed a loose torque converter, and a driver that new what he was doing, and they came off the line like they were shot out of a cannon.

:iagree: VERY WELL STATED!!!!!!!!

SilentFright 03-17-2012 03:46 PM

Because boost is king! It doesn't matter how small the engine is when you are cramming the cylinders with 30psi from a monster turbo.

Ona mission 03-17-2012 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by FYRARMS (Post 1580304484)
Welcome to 1999 internet jokes.

If a Supra is "laggy" from a dead stop, it is the driver's fault. A driver who launches the car properly will launch extremely hard. Sticky tires and a good clutch? Yep...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08Sftw6UyFE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AaM1qCc7SCc

:iagree: They are lauching hard and that is key to lower ET's,great 60 foot times. The corvettes are coming out very soft and that could be a function of gearing, traction and low T on the driver part. :yesnod:

A 12:50 on a car that launches that well doesn't really impress me, it's just not that much quicker then the c5,. It would be nice to see the trap speeds or a least be at the finish to see if the Supra can hold it's own on the big end.

FYRARMS 03-17-2012 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by Ona mission (Post 1580305107)
It would be nice to see the trap speeds or a least be at the finish to see if the Supra can hold it's own on the big end.

The top end is where Supras shine. Big turbo + high rpms = uber-high trap speeds.

Silverbullet00 03-17-2012 07:10 PM

Since there will always be cars fster than mine no matter what kind of car I have,,,,,, I'll drive America's Sportcar and never envy or bow to anyone!

Besides, ask a kid or a woman,,,Ricer or Vette,,,,nuff said!:thumbs:

rtpassini 03-17-2012 07:48 PM

The interior dash setup on supras are just so damn ugly. especially the center part.

my friend is a big supra nut. had two different ones now. Without mods, its a pretty flat car. nothing special imo

phinfan 03-17-2012 08:40 PM

Well, as shown the Supra is a fast car, with the ability to be much faster.

As far as which cars I liked, that's a different story, I have nothing against them, or against Japanese cars, I drive a civic everyday, and WISH GM would make something as good.

It's all personal tastes, some do not like the z06 body style , I absolutely love it. I would have to say I have a far reaching taste in performance cars, love many of the Porsches, looked at a real 944 turbo S before buying my Z06, and really liked it too.

I ultimately chose the Z, and have no reservations about the choice, and as I am getting older, my stock Z is more than fast enough for me.

Supra's are nice cars though...

FYRARMS 03-17-2012 09:19 PM

Originally Posted by Silverbullet00 (Post 1580306060)
Besides, ask a kid or a woman

Exactly. Ask either uneducated option.

Ricer or Vette,,,,nuff said!
Ricer? Perhaps you clicked on the wrong thread? This is about Supras.

JustinStrife 03-17-2012 09:49 PM

Originally Posted by rtpassini (Post 1580306316)
The interior dash setup on supras are just so damn ugly. especially the center part.

my friend is a big supra nut. had two different ones now. Without mods, its a pretty flat car. nothing special imo

It's comparable with a 90's C4, but without all the digital crap.

FYRARMS 03-17-2012 09:53 PM

Originally Posted by JustinStrife (Post 1580307102)
It's comparable with a 90's C4, but without all the digital crap.

:lol: LOL! Not quite. The actual "aim towards the driver" layout is a similar design, but many cars use such a design. The quality and materials used in the Supra are way ahead of the old C4. Hell, I wish my C5Z interior had the same quality feel that my Supra had.

rtpassini 03-17-2012 09:57 PM

Not even comparable. The supras dash and gauges are so outdated its not even funny. the center console is big bulky and hideous. Everytime I got in it I couldn't understand how the same people who made the rest of the car came up with that crap.

the c5 dash and console is a million times better

rtpassini 03-17-2012 10:01 PM

And the targa. just poor design

JustinStrife 03-17-2012 10:08 PM

Originally Posted by rtpassini (Post 1580307169)
Not even comparable. The supras dash and gauges are so outdated its not even funny. the center console is big bulky and hideous. Everytime I got in it I couldn't understand how the same people who made the rest of the car came up with that crap.

the c5 dash and console is a million times better

The Supra came out 4 years before the C5. Compare it to the other cars of it's time. Corvette Interiors have been 'lacking' since about 1968.

rtpassini 03-17-2012 10:10 PM

I said dash and gauges. not interior. supras had better seats. and other things where the vette lacked. and supras were made during c5 era.

JustinStrife 03-17-2012 10:20 PM

Originally Posted by rtpassini (Post 1580307272)
I said dash and gauges. not interior. supras had better seats. and other things where the vette lacked. and supras were made during c5 era.

The Supra was made from 1993-1998. The C5 didn't come out until 1997, 4 years after the Supra had been introduced. So in a sense you are correct. The Supra was made during the C5 era. But it was designed in the C4 era and the majority of them were made during the C4 era.

As for the gauge and dashes... To this day I hate the C4's dash/guages/interior. It's no wonder that GM completely got away from the C4's designs with the C5.

rttmike 03-17-2012 11:24 PM

Yea Supras are fast. I am by far more impressed by the all Mighty GN. Quickest car I have ever driven. Deep into the 10's with a stock motor. Mostly bolt ons to do this.

I want to own one some day.

Endeka 03-17-2012 11:49 PM

Don't be fooled by dyno numbers. 90+% of these monster Supras are sitting on stock rear ends and normal all-season tires, and they can't deliver once they get off the rollers. Not only that, the most monster models can't start bringing in the power until 3-4,000RPM, and by the time the turbos spin up, the race is over. It could probably beat a C6 Z06 in a 2 mile race, but in the quarter, they'll get dusted by almost anything. Most of the big power supra owners I've met always have some excuse for not getting to the track-it's because they'd be totally embarrassed by a Porsche Cayman or a stock C5.

76 VETTE 03-18-2012 12:08 AM

Originally Posted by damilleniumboy (Post 1580301439)
White folks driving Corvettes are FAT 245+lb; asian guys are around 145lb.:leaving:

:iagree:

robert miller 03-18-2012 12:13 AM

:iagree: Came close to getting my door blown off by one a few weeks back. Guy said it had just a little over 650 rwhp in his..:crazy2::crazy2:

FYRARMS 03-18-2012 03:16 AM

Originally Posted by Endeka (Post 1580307978)
Don't be fooled by dyno numbers. 90+% of these monster Supras are sitting on stock rear ends and normal all-season tires, and they can't deliver once they get off the rollers. Not only that, the most monster models can't start bringing in the power until 3-4,000RPM, and by the time the turbos spin up, the race is over. It could probably beat a C6 Z06 in a 2 mile race, but in the quarter, they'll get dusted by almost anything. Most of the big power supra owners I've met always have some excuse for not getting to the track-it's because they'd be totally embarrassed by a Porsche Cayman or a stock C5.

This is probably the most uneducated and irrelevant post in this thread. Seriously, guys, don't post if you don't know what you are talking about.

:crazy:

FYRARMS 03-18-2012 03:24 AM

Originally Posted by rttmike (Post 1580307802)
Yea Supras are fast. I am by far more impressed by the all Mighty GN.

Are you more impressed with the leaky front and rear main seals, the crappy handling, or the lack of any braking ability? :lol: I owned a GN and an '89 TTA. They were more trouble than they were worth. The only way I would ever own another GN is if the suspension and brakes got the full pro-touring treatment, if the interior got a complete upgrade, and if the 3.8L was replaced with something else that didn't have such an awful exhaust note. I would swap in a 2JZ just to make Buick purists angry.

JustinStrife 03-18-2012 03:59 AM

Originally Posted by FYRARMS (Post 1580308733)
This is probably the most uneducated and irrelevant post in this thread. Seriously, guys, don't post if you don't know what you are talking about.

Unfortunately it is very difficult for some Corvette owners to give props to anything Japanese. It goes against their nature I guess.

Not all Corvette owners are true auto enthusiasts.

phinfan 03-18-2012 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by FYRARMS (Post 1580308733)

While i do not agree totally with your assessment of the GN, i do agree with you here.

The first time i drove a turbo car, i too thought that it only had top end, and this comes from flooring it, and going from a vacuum situation in the manifold (negative boost) to a boost situation, depending on the cars torque converter, this is a period called turbo lag, and should NOT BE CONSIDERED related to any particular RPM range.

A turbo car can make PLENTY OF POWER DOWN LOW, these ideas of a turbo needing to be at 3-4k before making power are old wives tales.

As a general rule, forced induction cars are going to be faster than normally aspirated, unless there is a big difference in tune or cubic inches, now this is not an absolute, but in most cases is true, they just make more power per cubic inch, because they do the same thing as larger cubic inch motors, they put more air through.

Now, to give a little props to the great old GN platform, i respect them greatly, they made me very proud when i was very young about how freaking fast an AMERICAN CAR COULD BE.

Take a look at what was available in the mid eighties, there was nothing, the GN's engine, and ignition were way ahead of their time.

I had two GN's, one was stolen almost immediately, the other served me well for about 13 years, was incredibly reliable, the only problems it had were associated with racing, and trying to bring it to 500hp.

If i did not mess with the factory tune (it was pretty fast stock) there is no doubt in my mind i could have gotten 200k trouble free miles from it, like many in the community have done.

And as for the suspension, i personally loved it, much like a luxury car, with a GREAT ride, power everything. I was not into auto crossing or anything like that, so the suspension was fine for me, i can see someone that was would have a problem with it.

Brakes...hell, you are right on those, and it was a challenge i usually lost trying to keep all of my GN's fluids inside the car, i was told all forced induction have this issue, i do not know if that is true.

Dominic Toretto 03-18-2012 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by JustinStrife (Post 1580307352)
The Supra was made from 1993-1998.

Actually the Supra was made entirely between 1986 to 2002 for two generations. Before that it was simply a hopped up Celica with "Supra" on the back.

The C5 didn't come out until 1997, 4 years after the Supra had been introduced. So in a sense you are correct..

4 years after the Supra was introduced? No. Four years after the MK4 was introduced? Yes.

The Supra was made during the C5 era. But it was designed in the C4 era and the majority of them were made during the C4 era. .

1993 to 1997 is 5 years. 1998 to 2002 is also 5 years dude. So incorrect.

As for the gauge and dashes... To this day I hate the C4's dash/guages/interior. It's no wonder that GM completely got away from the C4's designs with the C5.

I agree with this.

Also why do people ignore that Toyota's Most powerful Supra was comparable to the ENTRY level C5 with an automatic? Here's some numbers.

1993 - 2002 Toyota Supra
HP 320
TQ 315
Weight 3350 - 3400lbs

1997 - 2004 Corvette
HP 350(LS1) - 405(LS6)
TQ 360(LS1) - 400(LS6)
Weight 3275 - less 3200lbs

Hello?

-Alex

SaberD 03-18-2012 10:41 AM

i wonder how many miles you could get out of a 400hp supra. my money says the c5 making the same power lasts way longer. i want something that lasts that can take a serious beating. there are so many people out there still road racing 100k+ mi vettes beating the crap out of them for years.

Bimmervet 03-18-2012 11:02 AM

Why is it I have never seen a Supra at a track event? I think "The Little Old Lady From Pasadina" would spank a Supra.
Go Granny, Go Granny, Go!!:thumbs:

BoostManiac 03-18-2012 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by Ona mission (Post 1580299040)
We didn't eat our Wheaties? :willy:

Most of the ones I looked at the vettes are getting creamed at the light, I'd first have to look at overall gear ratio at launch. Most of the videos you can't see the ET's/trap speed well or at all.

The supra'a are definitely making horsepower and getting it to the ground. Turbo inline should make good power but suprisingly we still have a weight advantage, don't know what the Supras top speed is.

You don't want to know. :D

BoostManiac 03-18-2012 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by ztheusa (Post 1580300429)

Not true. Fully built Supras can have 10,000 rpm redlines. The fastest ones at the standing mile are hitting around 250 mph at ~9,000 rpm in 5th gear, so one less shift compared to a lower redline. The top speed of those kinds of beasts would still be much higher in 6th and would be terrifying. They can hit 180 mph in 4th gear in the 1/4 mile drags, so again, one less shift helps. And this kind of advantage can be extremely useful with the built auto trans cars too.

Vipers suffer from poor aero, which is the #1 reason they aren't near the top ranks of standing mile competitions, coupled with the lack of ability to rev like other big engined cars such as the Ford GT.

BoostManiac 03-18-2012 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by SaberD (Post 1580310093)
i wonder how many miles you could get out of a 400hp supra. my money says the c5 making the same power lasts way longer. i want something that lasts that can take a serious beating. there are so many people out there still road racing 100k+ mi vettes beating the crap out of them for years.

My money says it doesn't with a low boost small to medium single turbo. That's a very low strees power level for a MKIV. I know Supra owners with 200,000 to 300,000 miles at 500+ HP levels. But there is always the temptation to go for fire breathing dragon levels of power, which will wear anything out more quickly.

BoostManiac 03-18-2012 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by Bimmervet (Post 1580310258)
Why is it I have never seen a Supra at a track event? I think "The Little Old Lady From Pasadina" would spank a Supra.
Go Granny, Go Granny, Go!!:thumbs:

Well if you have never seen one, I guess that means they never go. :lol:

Kman1971 03-18-2012 12:42 PM

American Classic

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1G6wtnmdZhE

FYRARMS 03-18-2012 12:49 PM

You would lose that bet. You obviously are unfamiliar with the Supra's well-known durability.

Originally Posted by Bimmervet (Post 1580310258)
Why is it I have never seen a Supra at a track event?

Because there aren't many around. Turbo MKIVs are rare cars. When you have a dime-a-dozen sportscar like a Corvette, the chances of seeing quite a few at a track are good. I never see any baby pigeons around, but they obviously exist. :D

phinfan 03-18-2012 01:12 PM

I am not a supra expert, but when you are a GN enthusiast, you do pay attention to other turbo cars.

All that i know is that the guys in my group that knew the most about turbo charging, had good things to say about the supra.

When you are talking turbo charged engine, it is important to point out, HORSEPOWER IS ADJUSTABLE. You can always turn up the boost, and make more.

It really is not as easy as that, you have to have the correct octane, the correct A/F ratio etc.

The limit on the horsepower, if you have the correct supporting mods, is where and when the block will cease to exist in one piece.

This is where the supra is tops, as i said before, it is over-engineered, whether corvette purists want to admit this or not.

The GN could safely handle HP up into the 450-500 hp range, where you could make a mistake in tuning, and the block would still be in one piece.

Once you get into the 600-650 hp range, it will take it (really, i have seen it), but one mistake, and you are sweeping up what is left of your bottom end with a broom, and dustpan.

The supra, with a stock block, and bottom end can go well beyond this, if i remember correctly, that gentleman that had one could probably give us a good amount, but i believe it is 800-900 hp (that is outstanding for a stock block imo).

Endeka 03-18-2012 01:37 PM

Unfortunately it is very difficult for some Corvette owners to give props to anything Japanese. It goes against their nature I guess.
I don't know who you're talking about; I love Japanese cars. It's just that, unlike their apologists, I also recognize their faults, just like I do with the Corvette. The Supra can handle a lot of power, but putting it down usually involves deep pockets and a lot of spray early in the run. I'm sure there are some that are great, but the last time I remember seeing a built one, the only thing built about it was the engine, so its times were not terribly impressive. I'd expect much better out of something that powerful.

and if the 3.8L was replaced with something else that didn't have such an awful exhaust note.
Awful exhaust? Here's what the Supra's sounds like:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eix3mvt_4KM

Basically like a stock Yaris.

Dominic Toretto 03-18-2012 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by Endeka (Post 1580311507)
I don't know who you're talking about; I love Japanese cars. It's just that, unlike their apologists, I also recognize their faults, just like I do with the Corvette. The Supra can handle a lot of power, but putting it down usually involves deep pockets and a lot of spray early in the run. I'm sure there are some that are great, but the last time I remember seeing a built one, the only thing built about it was the engine, so its times were not terribly impressive. I'd expect much better out of something that powerful.

Very well said:thumbs:.

-Alex

phinfan 03-18-2012 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by FYRARMS (Post 1580311202)
You would lose that bet. You obviously are unfamiliar with the Supra's well-known durability.

Because there aren't many around. Turbo MKIVs are rare cars. When you have a dime-a-dozen sportscar like a Corvette, the chances of seeing quite a few at a track are good. I never see any baby pigeons around, but they obviously exist. :D

Mr FYRARMS, it seems you really miss your Supra, and i'm not saying you shouldn't, just wondering why you bought a Z06, why not stick with the Supra?

I am asking this for no other reason than me being a nosy bitch, don't have to answer if you don't want to.

Dominic Toretto 03-18-2012 02:04 PM

For all the guys here who are really sad to have a Corvette and want to drive a Turbo Supra, I've found a few here under $30,000. Rock bottom prices. Wonder why the sellers don't know how great these cars are.

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...standard=false

The one I would go for here is this bone stock 1994 which is somehow priced much lower than the rest.

-Alex

FYRARMS 03-18-2012 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by Endeka (Post 1580311507)
Awful exhaust? Here's what the Supra's sounds like:

Basically, like a stock Yaris.

LOL, could you find a more muffled bone stock non-US spec example? :lol:

I'll up the ante. Upgraded single turbo GN, stock engine, aftermarket exhaust. The hilarity starts at about 0:50:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PaKM1lLgyb0

Basically, like a stock 2.8L Chevy Beretta. :ack: Pushrod V6s sound like dog crap. You can choose any DOHC 6-cylinder you like, they will always sound better than any pushrod V6 noise.

Endeka 03-18-2012 02:13 PM

Basically, like a stock 2.8L Chevy Beretta. Pushrod V6s sound like dog crap. You can choose any DOHC 6-cylinder you like, they will always sound better than any pushrod V6 noise.
That's like saying that Rosie O'Donnell looks better than Amy Winehouse. They both sound like absolute trash, which is probably why not one surviving Supra in 500 doesn't have a 15lbs fart can welded onto it. You can probably make a GN sound decent with a lot of aftermarket stuff too, but that doesn't chance the fact that they both sound like vacuum cleaners compared to the inline 6 in an old M3 or 911.

FYRARMS 03-18-2012 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by phinfan (Post 1580311605)
Mr FYRARMS, it seems you really miss your Supra, and i'm not saying you shouldn't, just wondering why you bought a Z06, why not stick with the Supra?

I am asking this for no other reason than me being a nosy bitch, don't have to answer if you don't want to.

Simple. One is not to replace the other. I bought my Z06 because I always wanted one. It is the only Corvette model that I currently find attractive. I plan on doing some autocross and track racing, and it fit my needs perfectly. I originally sold my Supra with the intention of just buying another one, but I ran across the Z06 for a great steal. It was only $23K with lots of mods, so it was an easy cash deal for me. I have an LS3-based stroker build and some suspension/brake/wheel/tire mods in the works, and once that is completed, I will be buying another MKIV Supra. There are two local to me that I have been eyeballing, but the owners need to be persuaded. :thumbs:

FYRARMS 03-18-2012 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by Endeka (Post 1580311750)
a 15lbs fart can

Closer to a 2# titanium can, but okay. :lol:

You can probably make a GN sound decent with a lot of aftermarket stuff too
Nope. I spent way too many hours with way too many 8 and 9-second Regals back in the early '90s. Stock or modded, they sound like crap. 4.1L block with aluminum heads? Yep. Sounds like crap, too.

they both sound like vacuum cleaners compared to the inline 6 in an old M3
You need to get out more. The BMW I6 and 2JZ I6 sound incredibly similar. Maybe you have seen too many with stock exhausts corking them up.

or 911.
:ack: Everyone has different taste, but n/a flat-6 Porsches sound terrible. I love old 911s, but hate the exhaust.

Mike98SilVert 03-18-2012 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by Silverbullet00 (Post 1580306060)
I'll drive America's Sportcar!:thumbs:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...luv_vettes.gif

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...vettescape.gif

JustinStrife 03-18-2012 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by Dominic Toretto (Post 1580310054)
Actually the Supra was made entirely between 1986 to 2002 for two generations. Before that it was simply a hopped up Celica with "Supra" on the back.

4 years after the Supra was introduced? No. Four years after the MK4 was introduced? Yes.

1993 to 1997 is 5 years. 1998 to 2002 is also 5 years dude. So incorrect.

I agree with this.

Also why do people ignore that Toyota's Most powerful Supra was comparable to the ENTRY level C5 with an automatic? Here's some numbers.

1993 - 2002 Toyota Supra
HP 320
TQ 315
Weight 3350 - 3400lbs

1997 - 2004 Corvette
HP 350(LS1) - 405(LS6)
TQ 360(LS1) - 400(LS6)
Weight 3275 - less 3200lbs

Hello?

-Alex

America only got the Mark IV Supra from 1993-1998. There was a 4 year time span between the Mark IV being introduced, and the C5. I am only talking for the American Market which is all that matters in this discussion. I am also only referring to the Mark IV supra as it's the only one worth talking about. 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996. Four years.

There is no 1999-2002 Mark IV Toyota Supra to be bought in America. Yes models of Japanese sports cars were made in Japan, but they were not brought here. Like the FD3S Mazda RX-7 which was made in Japan from 1992-2002. We only got them from 1993-1995.

The power potential of the stock bottom end on a 2JZ is leagues higher than our LSX motors. It took the LS9 for GM to build a factory engine that could reach the levels that the 2JZ has been doing for 20 years...

One of the fastest 6spd 1/4 mile times on record, has been held by a Mark IV Supra. The Viper may have since beaten it, but no Corvette has. I love my C5, but give me a choice between a late model C4, and a Mark IV Supra, and I will take the Supra every. single. time.

Dominic Toretto 03-18-2012 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by JustinStrife (Post 1580311836)
America only got the Mark IV Supra from 1993-1998. There was a 4 year time span between the Mark IV being introduced, and the C5. I am only talking for the American Market which is all that matters in this discussion. I am also only referring to the Mark IV supra as it's the only one worth talking about. 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996. Four years.

There is no 1999-2002 Mark IV Toyota Supra to be bought in America. Yes models of Japanese sports cars were made in Japan, but they were not brought here. Like the FD3S Mazda RX-7 which was made in Japan from 1992-2002. We only got them from 1993-1995.

So you're using the "out of sight, out of mind" mentality then? Because it's not here means it does not exist? Seriously?

The power potential of the stock bottom end on a 2JZ is leagues higher than our LSX motors. It took the LS9 for GM to build a factory engine that could reach the levels that the 2JZ has been doing for 20 years....

LOL while you seem to spend so much time researching Supras, perhaps research the car you actually have. Check out this thread here which completely refutes your idea. LSX engines have been making insane power for decades dude. Plenty of 700 to 1,100hp LSX cars here. Also take a look over at Nelson Racing Engines making LSX engines upwards of near 2,000hp. I've yet to see a 1,800hp 2JZ... LSX engine, yup.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-f...gs-thread.html

One of the fastest 6spd 1/4 mile times on record, has been held by a Mark IV Supra. The Viper may have since beaten it, but no Corvette has. I love my C5, but give me a choice between a late model C4, and a Mark IV Supra, and I will take the Supra every. single. time.

That's a fair assessment as I would too. However there are many more Corvette models that I would take over a Supra.

-Alex

phinfan 03-18-2012 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by Dominic Toretto (Post 1580311701)
For all the guys here who are really sad to have a Corvette and want to drive a Turbo Supra, I've found a few here under $30,000. Rock bottom prices. Wonder why the sellers don't know how great these cars are.

The one I would go for here is this bone stock 1994 which is somehow priced much lower than the rest.

-Alex

I'm not sure if you're referring to me or not, but i thought i made it clear that, for me, the Z06 is king.

I could have had a bunch of different cars for what i spent on my low mileage example, but i didn't, if you read my posts in this thread i was just trying to clear up some misconceptions on both the Supra, and GN.

I know turbocharged cars, and when i read a post that is so off the wall wrong, i try to explain why it is wrong.

Supras are nice, but not for me.

The only cars I really considered after selling my GN, were older Porsches, the 911, 928 s4, 944 turbo, and turbo S, looked hard at a 944 turbo S, but decided the Z06's were the absolute best bang for the buck, with much less maintenance cost to boot.

FYRARMS 03-18-2012 02:55 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Ta6hXZkKIw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fqqI3...eature=related

Dominic Toretto 03-18-2012 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by phinfan (Post 1580311981)
I'm not sure if you're referring to me or not, but i thought i made it clear that, for me, the Z06 is king.

I could have had a bunch of different cars for what i spent on my low mileage example, but i didn't, if you read my posts in this thread i was just trying to clear up some misconceptions on both the Supra, and GN.

I know turbocharged cars, and when i read a post that is so off the wall wrong, i try to explain why it is wrong.

Supras are nice, but not for me.

The only cars I really considered after selling my GN, were older Porsches, the 911, 928 s4, 944 turbo, and turbo S, looked hard at a 944 turbo S, but decided the Z06's were the absolute best bang for the buck, with much less maintenance cost to boot.

No, I was not referring to you.

It's just clear that there are a few members here that would feel more at home in a Supra than a Corvette so I was posting some options to help them out. Also over on www.supraforums.com those same members can find cars for sale.

-Alex

phinfan 03-18-2012 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by Dominic Toretto (Post 1580311914)
So you're using the "out of sight, out of mind" mentality then? Because it's not here means it does not exist? Seriously?

LOL while you seem to spend so much time researching Supras, perhaps research the car you actually have. Check out this thread here which completely refutes your idea. LSX engines have been making insane power for decades dude. Plenty of 700 to 1,100hp LSX cars here. Also take a look over at Nelson Racing Engines making LSX engines upwards of near 2,000hp. I've yet to see a 1,800hp 2JZ... LSX engine, yup.

That's a fair assessment as I would too. However there are many more Corvette models that I would take over a Supra.

-Alex

I would have to agree with you here, although not an expert on turbocharging the LS motors, there is a section for them on Turbobuick.com.

The trend seems to be today to get old cheap 5.3 ltr LS junkyard engines from the thousands of vans, and pick ups from the late 90's, and early 2000's.

I'm not even sure that some people even bother to rebuild them, they stick a turbo on there, tune it, put in whatever they are racing, and make UNBELIEVABLE POWER.

I know i have heard they certainly go well over 1000hp, so anyone that does not believe the LS motors can be quite formidable are crazy.

The power delivery in my Z is incredible, one of the smoothest engines I have ever had, gets 30 mpg on the hwy, and is generally a joy to drive.

My only complaint (if you can call it that), is mine being all stock is as quiet as a church mouse, you can hardly even tell the motor is running if you are away from the exhaust.

JustinStrife 03-18-2012 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by Dominic Toretto (Post 1580311914)

-Alex

You can't read. I said stock bottom end LS motors. LS motors are in Corvettes and Camaros. I am not talking truck iron blocks. I am talking Corvette/Camaro engines. LS Aluminum engines. Find me one that makes 1000hp on the stock bottom end. Stock block, stock crank, stock rods, stock pistons, stock rings. I said stock bottom end! I'm not talking about built as I have a built 402 in my FRC!

Fact. Every single 900+ wrhp Corvette in the thread you linked(which I'm a member of by the way), has built engines. Every. Single. One. Of. Them.

Your teachers should have been fired for your lack of reading comprehension.

My current ride is in my signature. It's my second boosted Corvette. What high horsepower cars have you owned? I'm curious to know where your knowledge is beyond what you've read from somewhere else.

phinfan 03-18-2012 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by JustinStrife (Post 1580312178)
You can't read. I said stock bottom end LS motors. LS motors are in Corvettes and Camaros. I am not talking truck iron blocks. I am talking Corvette/Camaro engines. LS Aluminum engines. Find me one that makes 1000hp on the stock bottom end. Stock block, stock crank, stock rods, stock pistons, stock rings. I said stock bottom end! I'm not talking about built as I have a built 402 in my FRC!

Fact. Every single 900+ wrhp Corvette in the thread you linked(which I'm a member of by the way), has built engines. Every. Single. One. Of. Them.

Your teachers should have been fired for your lack of reading comprehension.

My current ride is in my signature. It's my second boosted Corvette. What high horsepower cars have you owned? I'm curious to know where your knowledge is beyond what you've read from somewhere else.

What can a stock bottom end ls1/ls6 handle?

What can a stock bottom end Supra handle?

Not being sarcastic, want to know.

JustinStrife 03-18-2012 03:30 PM

http://www.supraforums.com/forum/sho...P-on-Stock-2JZ

I've heard of only once or twice LS1/6's going over the 800rwhp mark, but it's extremely rare, and how long they last is anyone's guess. This is with twice the displacement of the 2jz.

A bunch of the youtube videos I had saved of stock shortblock cars hitting 900+ on dynos are gone. Some of this stuff is from 5-8 years ago so things disappear.

JustinStrife 03-18-2012 03:39 PM

1700rwhp 2jZ motor... Sure they may not hit 2000hp, but how can anyone not be impressed by a 20 year old design that has half the cubes that our V8s have? How many LT1/4's are able to make that kind of power? They came out the same time the 2jz did. The LS motors came out years later.

Some people are not true car enthusiasts...

phinfan 03-18-2012 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by JustinStrife (Post 1580312259)
http://www.supraforums.com/forum/sho...P-on-Stock-2JZ

I've heard of only once or twice LS1/6's going over the 800rwhp mark, but it's extremely rare, and how long they last is anyone's guess. This is with twice the displacement of the 2jz.

A bunch of the youtube videos I had saved of stock shortblock cars hitting 900+ on dynos are gone. Some of this stuff is from 5-8 years ago so things disappear.

Good thread, some of the guys on there seem very level headed, and i have to agree with the one poster who said they were both great engines...

One more question, had not thought about the truck engines being iron blocks, how much hp can a iron block truck 5.3, or whatever( i think there are larger displacements) hold?

Is there a significant difference?

phinfan 03-18-2012 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by JustinStrife (Post 1580312328)

1700rwhp 2jZ motor... Sure they may not hit 2000hp, but how can anyone not be impressed by a 20 year old design that has half the cubes that our V8s have? How many LT1/4's are able to make that kind of power? They came out the same time the 2jz did. The LS motors came out years later.

Some people are not true car enthusiasts...

No, i agree, but then you should, in turn, look back to 1986, and the GN, what was around that had the technology, ignition etc. it had back then?

I used to read TURBO magazine, and they stated they probably would not be around if it weren't for the GN.

I give major props to the Supra, it was over engineered, and ahead of its time.

phinfan 03-18-2012 03:56 PM

Then again, if i run across an old Crosley i get all tingly, i love all kinds of cars.

Love to watch Wheeler Dealer, as they have such a different array of cars they buy, and work on, some that i have never heard of.

JustinStrife 03-18-2012 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by phinfan (Post 1580312431)
No, i agree, but then you should, in turn, look back to 1986, and the GN, what was around that had the technology, ignition etc. it had back then?

I used to read TURBO magazine, and they stated they probably would not be around if it weren't for the GN.

I give major props to the Supra, it was over engineered, and ahead of its time.

I have nothing but love for the GN. And for the GMC Cyclone(badass little truck!).

Saw a GN the other day that was clean as hell. If I had money growing out of my ears, I'd have one of each believe me. :cheers:

I remember seeing a thread on the rx7 forum, about a guy who put a GN engine in his 3rd gen rx7. Was hitting 600hp with it too. :steering:

Grimlock 03-18-2012 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by Kman1971 (Post 1580300387)
My favorite muscle car is my 1989 Turbo Trans Am. It has the Buick GNX engine in it with modified heads to fit under the hood of the Trans Am. It is such a beast and will out run any stock car today with the right tires and proper launching technique. Not bad for a 23 year old car. There is just a different feeling when that Turbo kicks in, the sound it make going up and whistling down, the car just sits down and grinds in and soars with the aerodymanics as other cars with monster hp just spin their tires and try to catch up. Top end is reported at 160+, 140 is as brave as I got with it.

With that said, the C5 has it all, looks, style, comfort, class, RELIABILITY, and even gets better gas milage than the V6. I would love to add a turbo kit to it someday to see how it would stack up against my old bird. The ZR1 is a world class super car and does not compare to any of these. 220 on the gauge, just incredible. Best of all, the TTA and Vette are American made, I'll take either one over a Toyota or Nissan. JMHO... To each their own.

Is this a joke? You seriously think this Trans-Am that ran a 14 second quarter mile time can "out run any stock today with the right tires"? Sure these were VERY impressive cars for the day, but by today's standards these are pretty slow.

Or are you talking about a heavily modified car or something?

Kman1971 03-18-2012 04:50 PM

Put the 20+ year old GN or TTA up against any of todays modern super HP machines like the corvette, camero, challenger, mustang you we will see who is the butt of the joke.
I have both and already know the answer and love them both for different reasons as stated before, but mostly for the love of driving them.

I will admit I have never driven a supra, gtr, or rx7, and I am sure they are a blast, the look of them just never appealed to me, but that is what is great about cars and customizeing them, and truely making them your own, because nobody will love your car, as much as you do. I think we can all agree to that.

Grimlock 03-18-2012 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by Kman1971 (Post 1580312831)
Put the 20+ year old GN or TTA up against any of todays modern super HP machines like the corvette, camero, challenger, mustang you we will see who is the butt of the joke.
I have both and already know the answer and love them both for different reasons as stated before, but mostly for the love of driving them.

I will admit I have never driven a supra, gtr, or rx7, and I am sure they are a blast, the look of them just never appealed to me, but that is what is great about cars and customizeing them, and truely making them your own, because nobody will love your car, as much as you do. I think we can all agree to that.

So you think a stock GN can beat a stock Challenger SRT8?!? You seriously believe that?!?

rtpassini 03-18-2012 05:04 PM

I would just like to comment that rx7s are piles of ****. that was a car I was seriously considering before the vette. did tons of research, joined forums etc. those things are time bombs

Kman1971 03-18-2012 05:04 PM

Stock??? LMFAO

RetiredSFC 97 03-18-2012 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by JustinStrife (Post 1580307246)
The Supra came out 4 years before the C5. Compare it to the other cars of it's time. Corvette Interiors have been 'lacking' since about 1968.

The interior of the 90-96 is the best interior ever put in a vette. It may seem outdated to some people but it is 22 years old. Update it some and it blows away the C5 and the C6.

As far as why the supra is fast with a 6 banger?

TURBO, it's not rocket science.

Grimlock 03-18-2012 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by Kman1971 (Post 1580312959)
Stock??? LMFAO

Well then who cares? There is a minivan on the planet who can beat a stock SRT8.

Dominic Toretto 03-18-2012 05:27 PM

LMAO wow Justin, wasn't even worth quoting all of the emotionally charged responses you made. We're just going to sit by and laugh... and it is a good laugh. BTW there are plenty of enthusiasts here, we just don't all nutswing from one particular one.

-Alex

Kman1971 03-18-2012 05:58 PM

Hummm, let me go find a Challenger SRT8 in the TTA, be back in 11 seconds....lol

JustinStrife 03-18-2012 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by RetiredSFC 97 (Post 1580313011)
The interior of the 90-96 is the best interior ever put in a vette. It may seem outdated to some people but it is 22 years old. Update it some and it blows away the C5 and the C6.

As many times as I've banged my shin getting in and out of my dad's '96 Corvette Convertible, I can't agree with you. Nor can I agree about where GM put the emergency brake handle. :crazy2:

Originally Posted by Dominic Toretto (Post 1580313124)
LMAO wow Justin, wasn't even worth quoting all of the emotionally charged responses you made. We're just going to sit by and laugh... and it is a good laugh. BTW there are plenty of enthusiasts here, we just don't all nutswing from one particular one.

-Alex

I come in with facts, you come in with ****. You couldn't answer any of my questions, big surprise. Beyond bolt-ons, what power adders does your Corvette have? What experience do you have with 600, 800, 1000+ hp cars? Hell your C5 doesn't even make half the hp or torque that mine makes. What do you even know about big power?

Grimlock 03-18-2012 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by Kman1971 (Post 1580313339)
Hummm, let me go find a Challenger SRT8 in the TTA, be back in 11 seconds....lol

Go for it. But m stock vs stock the SRT8 would DESTROY the Trans-Am. We are talking about a car that is WAY quicker. If you are talking about a modified car, then once again who cares.

This Dodge Caravan could also beat one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPepaplIpO4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-R2EmW-00d4

Kman1971 03-18-2012 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by Grimlock (Post 1580313382)
Go for it. But m stock vs stock the SRT8 would DESTROY the Trans-Am. We are talking about a car that is WAY quicker. If you are talking about a modified car, then once again who cares.

This Dodge Caravan could also beat one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPepaplIpO4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-R2EmW-00d4

That is awesome.

People are crazy...

Beer is good....

rtpassini 03-18-2012 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by Kman1971 (Post 1580313772)
That is awesome.

People are crazy...

Beer is good....

Good tune

hdkeno 03-18-2012 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by Kman1971 (Post 1580313772)
That is awesome.

People are crazy...

Beer is good....

:iagree: :cheers: :cheers:

BoostManiac 03-18-2012 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by Endeka (Post 1580311750)
That's like saying that Rosie O'Donnell looks better than Amy Winehouse. They both sound like absolute trash, which is probably why not one surviving Supra in 500 doesn't have a 15lbs fart can welded onto it. You can probably make a GN sound decent with a lot of aftermarket stuff too, but that doesn't chance the fact that they both sound like vacuum cleaners compared to the inline 6 in an old M3 or 911.

This is beyond delusional. There are too many free videos out there to be this aware of what pumped up Supras can sound like. :lol::lol: Bone stock they were choked down too much, but good luck finding a stock one. What they sounded like in 1994 has nothing to do with today, just like the available performance level.

I've had a closed wastegate and now an open setup, and both are pure exotica and brutal at WOT. The closed wastegate setup sounded like a cross between a '80s/'90s F1 car and a big superbike. The open wastegate system sounds like a land-based F16 on full afterburner and reminds me of Group C Le Mans cars. There are very few Japanese cars I like the sound of, but a singled Supra is a home run. You intentionally picked the weakest vid you could to attempt to back up your already closed mind, but it doesn't change the fact that so many of the Supras sound incredible. Do your own research. :rolleyes:

rtpassini 03-18-2012 09:37 PM

the two supras my buddy had were both bone stock. a 94 and 95. (just sold the 95 last year)

Neither of them sounded bad in stock form. Nothing special. but not even close to being bad.

Jesse Asis 03-19-2012 05:01 AM

Let's get this straight, Supra build for family 2 door 4 passenger touring vehicle. C5 true American sports car alum. wish bone suspension, performance V8, 51/49 balance, 2 door 2 seater sports car.. to be compared with Ford GT40, Dodge Viper and a few Euro sports car not to name a few.

I wouldn't trade a bone stock C5 for a blown Supra anyday of the week and twice on Sunday. Going fast is just not what makes a true sports car, put a V8 on a skateboard, so what.. Lets get this right now...