CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C3 General (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c3-general-119/)
-   -   1971 removal of dash pad (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c3-general/3012835-1971-removal-of-dash-pad.html)

2001convertable 03-03-2012 10:01 PM

1971 removal of dash pad

Hi, can anyone tell me the proper way to remove my dash pad. I would think remove the screws on the top of each dash panel left and right then top of the wiper bezel. I dont want to break anything. thanks

Mooser 03-03-2012 11:00 PM

The entire car was built around the dash pad.

Do a search, this just came up a week or so ago, Willcox has a paper available that gives a pretty good description on how to remove/install (later model I think but the general idea)

The biggest tip is to make sure it's nice and warm, it needs to be flexed some. I've even heard of hair-dryers and hot towels
Mooser

Mooser 03-03-2012 11:05 PM

found the link
http://willcoxcorvette.com/repairand...lp.php?hID=105

Seems to me they added to drop the column helps a lot
Mooser

Big Block Dave 03-04-2012 07:48 AM

Originally Posted by Mooser (Post 1580179498)
The entire car was built around the dash pad..

Aint that the truth! Pretty much if you take off the sunvisors, top windshield header panel, side windshield panels, and then remove the screws that attach to the driver instrument pad, center instrument cluster, and pass side pad, then you can reach under the pass side, and remove the one retaining screw, and then wiggle the clips loose. Then it becomes a delicate game of bringing one side up, pulling the other one back, and eventually you will get it out....

...Its kind of like getting a couch through a doorway

Willcox Corvette 03-04-2012 08:43 AM

Mooser is correct... If you are going to remove the left lower pad it is imperative to remove the steering column. It's not all that hard and it makes the installation and removal of the dash pad so much easier.

Pay special attention to the notes at the bottom of the first page... One thing people fuss about when doing the left pad is getting to the tach and speedo cable behind the dash pad. Removing them from the distributor (68-74) and the tranny will allow you to pull the pad toward the car for easy removal.

We need to just combine the two pages, it's just a time issue for me.

You'll find this page will help you if you are removing the left dash pad

Corvette Left Hand Dash Pad Removal Made Easy 1968-1977

If you are just doing the right pad and/or upper pad then go to this page.

Corvette Dash Pad Remove and Install Instructions 68-77

2001convertable 03-04-2012 10:08 AM

Hi, I hope I explained myself correctly. I would like to remove the top pad that runs along the windshield. I would like to remove the instrument panel pad later to install the new vent and eliminate some old alarm wiring later. thanks for the help so far. Anthony

Easy Mike 03-04-2012 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by 2001convertable (Post 1580181694)
...I would like to remove the top pad that runs along the windshield...

Purchase the assembly instruction manual (AIM) from Willcox and take a look at the factory installation. Top pad has a hidden bolt in it which you will have to remove. Passenger's side lower dash has to come out to get to the bolt.

:thumbs:

Clubby99 03-04-2012 10:55 AM

Yes, the prior posters understood and provided your answer. Not an easy job. Many other parts need to be removed first. Plus remove other parts to access hidden screws. You will also likely crack your dash so be prepared.

Alan 71 03-04-2012 11:57 AM

Hi 2001,
What's misleading is that all the screws you see are for mounting the lower pads and center gauge bezel to the upper dash pad. They really have little to do with getting the upper pad out.
I agree with Mike, I wouldn't even attempt to start taking the dash apart without having the 1971 ASSEMBLY INSTRUCTION MANUAL, and having looked very carefully at it. MANY EXPENSIVE parts to break in a 41 year old dash and interior!
Good Luck!
Regards,
Alan

Big Block Dave 03-04-2012 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by Alan 71 (Post 1580182706)
I agree with Mike, I wouldn't even attempt to start taking the dash apart without having the 1971 ASSEMBLY INSTRUCTION MANUAL, and having looked very carefully at it. MANY EXPENSIVE parts to break in a 41 year old dash and interior!

Alan..I should have taken that advice, as I did have the instruction manual...however when I did it, it was kind of like pulling at a loose thread on a sweater, that resulted in the dismantling of the whole sweater....

Best part was that I left the interior unassembled for about 8 months before I started to put it back together. It was kind of like the episode of Happy Days when Fonzie went blind, and had to reassemble his motorcycle after Ralph and Potsie took it apart.

At least my car is back together, and the Fonz got his site back by the end of the episode

Big Block Dave 03-04-2012 12:05 PM

Just realized...hey Mr 2001 convertible...I live one town away from you, and I did this job last summer. Would you like a hand with this surgery?

Clubby99 03-04-2012 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by Big Block Dave (Post 1580182777)
Just realized...hey Mr 2001 convertible...I live one town away from you, and I did this job last summer. Would you like a hand with this surgery?

He will blame you when he cracks his dash.:rofl:

Willcox Corvette 03-04-2012 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by 2001convertable (Post 1580181694)
Hi, I hope I explained myself correctly. I would like to remove the top pad that runs along the windshield. I would like to remove the instrument panel pad later to install the new vent and eliminate some old alarm wiring later. thanks for the help so far. Anthony

All the info needed can be found in the links I've provided. :thumbs:

Roco71 03-05-2012 07:21 AM

I have removed my upper dash three times on my 71 using Wilcox's instruction without any problems. I would say that warmer weather is probably your friend when doing it.
Best of luck. :cheers:

Willcox Corvette 03-05-2012 07:24 AM

Originally Posted by Roco71 (Post 1580189435)
I have removed my upper dash three times on my 71 using Wilcox's instruction without any problems. I would say that warmer weather is probably your friend when doing it.
Best of luck. :cheers:

:cheers: And a six pack too! LOL

Indiancreek 03-05-2012 08:02 AM

Ha Ha with a six pack the collateral damage could be extensive in my case.

Easy Mike 03-05-2012 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by Willcox Corvette (Post 1580189446)
:cheers: And a six pack too! LOL

Half a case at the least.

:D

73Corvette 03-05-2012 08:43 AM

Sorta like trying to put a worm on a hook....truthfully, i was more intimidated and had more trouble with the consoles...getting all the holes lined up and getting things where they need to be is tricky. Taking it apart was the "easy" part. :hide:

Roco71 03-05-2012 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by Easy Mike (Post 1580189828)
Half a case at the least.

:D

Your right Mike... six to get it out and another six to put it back. :cheers:

2001convertable 03-05-2012 12:44 PM

Hi, I think Iam going to have Dave help me with this. Iam almost done with the interior. Waiting on Willcox for my console parts. They were great the interior. The only things I need to do is the seat covers with foam and install the new console parts I ordered. I wanted the dash pad out to change the speakers....thanks again guys