CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C5 Tech (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-tech-1/)
-   -   Charging system fault? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-tech/3003737-charging-system-fault.html)

C5Wolfe 02-18-2012 09:51 AM

Charging system fault?

I've gotton this message on the "dic" display off and on for 3 years and have found out that my "99" has the 140 amp alternator made in Mexico instead of the 110 amp one made in France that most every early c-5 I've seen have. I'm so sick of this message popping up that I am thinking about buying a 110 amp alternator for the car!
Question, Will this fix the problem or not? Has any one had this problem and fixed it?
Thanks, Dave:thumbs:

Mr.Bill 02-18-2012 10:12 AM

I have seen that message pop up on a few C5s in the past and it has always been at startup, In most cases it was because of a low battery after sitting over night, Is that when you see your message? I do know I have read that the 140 amp alt isn't compatable with all the C5 cars.
Mr.Bill

Bluefire 02-18-2012 01:47 PM

I have seen it on my 03 Coupe also. My theory: It only seems to happen when I am a little too quick releasing the key on a start. Almost like the "system" didn't get enough time to read some voltage. That's my SWAG. (Scientific Wild-Ass Guess). :D

grumblebear 02-18-2012 02:41 PM

I know this may be considered a sin, but I've gotten some odd electrical messages, and even weird background radio noise, with the radio off, when I was caught in a sudden rain storm...

NorCalVette Kid 02-18-2012 02:56 PM

I have had that problem. I removed the connector and plugged it back in, kinda giggled it a bit. Try checking your connectors and cable?? Could be a bad connection. :confused2:

65GGvert 02-18-2012 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by NorCalVette Kid (Post 1580048931)
I have had that problem. I removed the connector and plugged it back in, kinda giggled it a bit. Try checking your connectors and cable?? Could be a bad connection. :confused2:

What connector?

C5Wolfe 02-18-2012 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by Mr.Bill (Post 1580046666)
I have seen that message pop up on a few C5s in the past and it has always been at startup, In most cases it was because of a low battery after sitting over night, Is that when you see your message? I do know I have read that the 140 amp alt isn't compatable with all the C5 cars.
Mr.Bill

Mine does it at any time, not just start up! It will do it just driving down the road. Sometimes 2 or 3 times in one day and sometimes once a week or so. A mechanic at the local dealership said the charging system was fine but said it might be the alternator was putting out to much amps. I just wondered if any one has ever solved this problem?
Thanks Bill:thumbs:

NorCalVette Kid 02-18-2012 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by 65GGvert (Post 1580049719)
What connector?

http://image.corvettefever.com/f/937...alternator.jpg

Sometimes the connector (plug) gets corroded and dirty. Might just need cleaning.

KenShores 02-22-2012 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by Bluefire (Post 1580048435)
I have seen it on my 03 Coupe also. My theory: It only seems to happen when I am a little too quick releasing the key on a start. Almost like the "system" didn't get enough time to read some voltage. That's my SWAG. (Scientific Wild-Ass Guess). :D

:iagree: Me too! My 02 has done this maybe three times in three years. This explains the exact condition that it has happened to me. I don't fret over it, anymore. :cheers:

03newjersey 02-22-2012 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefire
I have seen it on my 03 Coupe also. My theory: It only seems to happen when I am a little too quick releasing the key on a start. Almost like the "system" didn't get enough time to read some voltage. That's my SWAG. (Scientific Wild-Ass Guess).

Originally Posted by KenShores (Post 1580085744)
:iagree: Me too! My 02 has done this maybe three times in three years. This explains the exact condition that it has happened to me. I don't fret over it, anymore. :cheers:

:iagree:
This happens once in a while if I don't turn the key all the way/properly. Usually it happens when I'm really tired after work. It always starts though, nothing to worry about.

seu318 02-23-2012 12:07 PM

I would def check that plug in the picture Norcalvette posted above. I had the same message start displaying immediately after changing my sparkplugs. Went back over the job again to see what I might have done, since I was not getting the message before the sparkplug job, and reasoned that I must've leaned on or hit that plug on the alternator. I unplugged it, flipped it over and saw it was corroded a bit. Cleaned it up, applied a dab of dielectric grease, seated it back in the plug socket, and never got the charge system fault message again. Check it.

Jeff W 02-23-2012 01:11 PM

From what I've read, yes the early year C5s need the correct amperage alternator. My 02 had this problem 2 weeks ago and my problem was burnt contacts in the ignition switch.

01vetter 02-23-2012 01:22 PM

I had this on occasion. It turned out to be a loose battery terminal wire.

Johnny_B_Good 02-23-2012 02:06 PM

Don’t recall seeing this message since the battery was replaced about 4 years ago. Not sure if that’s the cure all cases.

BuffyPalomar 08-22-2016 02:35 PM

Overheating

Originally Posted by 8VETTE7 (Post 1580047247)
I've had the Charge System Fault pop up on my 04 a few times and not certain what the cause is. Nothing i have been able to associate with it's coming up. Seems to be just another of those annoying messages. I swear the GM Elactrical engineers that worked on the C5 were imported from Lucas Electric....

I keep the car on a tender when not being driven so I don't think mine is from low battery.

I have an '04 also, and yesterday it overheated very quickly and I lost partial steering. I made it home, but don't know why that happened. Any help would be appreciated.....I'm stranded🙁

Fed Up 08-22-2016 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by BuffyPalomar (Post 1592900700)
I have an '04 also, and yesterday it overheated very quickly and I lost partial steering. I made it home, but don't know why that happened. Any help would be appreciated.....I'm stranded🙁

Other than the fact that you have a 2004 Corvette, your issues have absolutely nothing to do with this 4 year old thread you just resurrected. You might want to consider posting a fresh thread, and clearly articulate the who-what-when-why-where and any other useful tidbits like what codes you have and... Well, enough said. :cheers:

Fed Up 08-22-2016 03:23 PM

* Oh *... And it sounds like you need a serpentine belt...

BuffyPalomar 08-22-2016 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by Fed Up (Post 1592901065)
Other than the fact that you have a 2004 Corvette, your issues have absolutely nothing to do with this 4 year old thread you just resurrected. You might want to consider posting a fresh thread, and clearly articulate the who-what-when-why-where and any other useful tidbits like what codes you have and... Well, enough said. :cheers:

Wow, if this is the kind of responses I'm going to get, maybe this forum isn't for me. I am a new member as of yesterday, and I don't know all the ways of this site, so excuse me. My car broke down yesterday and I thought I could go here for some help, not criticism and sarcasm. I actually googled my car issue and this feed is where it took me. You have a nice day, now.

Jeff T. 08-22-2016 03:53 PM

Hmm, just a little edgy today...

Buffy - Top left of the C5 General page. Click on new topic. Post your issue and you will get help.

Good Luck!

BTW - Have you popped the hood and checked the belt?

2001RedMetallicC5 08-27-2016 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by Jeff W (Post 1580092254)
From what I've read, yes the early year C5s need the correct amperage alternator. My 02 had this problem 2 weeks ago and my problem was burnt contacts in the ignition switch.

I got this message last night and it threw a bunch of history codes on the DIC...... Hopefully it's just the plug needed cleaned? The only thing I read here are the burnt contacts in the ignition switch..... where exactly is the ignition switch and what was the fix on this?

TIA!
Dell