CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C5 General (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-general-103/)
-   -   C5 Instrument Cluster removal (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-general/3001983-c5-instrument-cluster-removal.html)

ZR1.US 02-15-2012 11:13 AM

C5 Instrument Cluster removal

Looking to add the polished rings around the instruments in the cluster.

Anyone know how hard of a job it is to remove and re-install the cluster?

Is this for the professional only? Thanks

BWF07 02-15-2012 11:37 AM

I did mine last summer and went a little further as I also added the white face gauges. I took my time and followed the instructions step by step and from start to finish it took about 2 hours. So to answer your question, No it should not require a professional shop to do the work as long as you have the needed tools and a little mechanical ability.

rwlc5 02-15-2012 11:39 AM

It is more of a process than you would think. Go to www.vetteessentials.com for the instructions, then youcanmake your decision.

ZR1.US 02-15-2012 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by TR6speed (Post 1580019619)
No it should not require a professional shop to do the work as long as you have the needed tools and a little mechanical ability.

Any special tools? or just regular tools. Any pitfalls to worry about, fragile connectors or things that break just looking at kind of stuff?

Thanks, :thumbs:

ajg1915 02-15-2012 11:45 AM

Just becareful and do not yank on anything. Also helps to lower steering column and tilt down.

Basically you pull off knee bolster, (2) 13MM nuts on steering column brace, Tilt Wheel down, remove T15 screws from upper bezel and then on the two sides. Eaze out gauges and disconnect ribbon harnesses.

$$$frumnuttin' 02-15-2012 11:48 AM

I did mine years ago...it is not that simple....find a good writeup and go from that. when you glue the rings make sure you use a very small amount of adhesive so it doesn't squeeze out the edges. you have to drop the steering column and that is the nervous part...lots of hardware has to be removed to get to where you can install the rings...make sure your back is in good shape before taking this task on...:thumbs:

BWF07 02-15-2012 12:53 PM

As I mentioned in my first post just follow the instruction. here is a link to the instructions.

http://www.vetteessentials.com/instr...zel_howto.html

RDVT4ME 02-15-2012 03:51 PM

Take your time and you should be fine. The scariest part for me was pulling off the connector for the HUD. Just work it for a while. If you pull to hard and rip the connector....you won't be happy.

ALLEGRO 02-15-2012 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by rwlc5 (Post 1580019640)
It is more of a process than you would think. Go to www.vetteessentials.com for the instructions, then youcanmake your decision.

It is really not hard or bad. You simply follow instructions. Vette Essentials has a great set of instructions with pics and tips to make it go well and fast.

Go for it.

saxtonfwd 02-15-2012 08:35 PM

Just did mine this past weekend, as others say take your time. A 6" extension for the socket won't hurt either.

99mallett 02-15-2012 09:13 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Done two of them...my '99, and the wife's '01...both with excellent results. As mentioned, take your time and you will be pleased.

Wife's '01
Attachment 48184520

Attachment 48184521

Attachment 48184522

My '99 was pretty much the same, red instead of white.

Vetteman Jack 02-15-2012 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by rwlc5 (Post 1580019640)

Very good instructions - they should guide you through it.

Z06ster 02-15-2012 10:52 PM

To the OP... if you're reasonably mechanical, taking out the cluster is not that bad. However, be extremely careful when installing the guage bezels. I ended up screwing up mine with an outcome of 7 out of 10 at best. The glue part is difficult because it needs to remain on the reverse side of the bezels and not get transferred to your fingers or anywhere on the cluster. This is the part of the job that is definitely for the true craftsman.

Jet Moto 02-16-2012 12:14 AM

Its not a tough job. I didn't need any special tools to pull the cluster out. Just time consuming your 1st go around. I ended having to go in there at least 6 times due to bezels falling off and connectors not properly seating.

Once you get the cluster out, you can separate the black piece where the bezel will be glued to from the entire instrument cluster. It makes the job so much easier to glue as you get greater control to move around to glue because you have access from the back. Less chance of getting glue everywhere.

FYI, I ended up using JB quik to glue the bezels on. (That is a permanent as you can get it, I hear super glue can degrade overtime and lose its effectiveness) I used the flimsy tape that came with mine. Don't use that.

DeeGee 02-16-2012 02:20 AM

PM me if you want a copy with pictures

Remove Console using Vette Essentials instructions:
http://www.vetteessentials.com/instr...brake_h_b.html
Instrument Panel Cluster (IPC) Replacement
Removal Procedure

Notice
Whenever the Instrument Panel Cluster (IPC) is removed from the vehicle, DO NOT set the IPC on its face for more than 15 minutes or damage to the fluid filled air core gages may result.
Caution
Before servicing any electrical component, the ignition key must be in the OFF or LOCK position and all electrical loads must be OFF, unless instructed otherwise in these procedures. If a tool or equipment could easily come in contact with a live exposed electrical terminal, also disconnect the negative battery cable. Failure to follow these precautions may cause personal injury and/or damage to the vehicle or its components.
1. Disconnect the negative battery cable.
2. Remove the I/P upper trim pad. Refer to Trim Pad Replacement - Instrument Panel (I/P) Upper .
3. Carefully lift the head-up display (HUD) electrical harness from between the instrument panel cluster (IPC) and the HUD, if equipped.
4. Disconnect the HUD electrical connector from the IPC, if equipped.

5. Remove the retaining screws that secure the IPC to the steering column bracket.
6. Raise the rear of the IPC slightly to release the locator tab, then lift the IPC to access the electrical connector.

7. Disconnect the IPC electrical connector.
8. Remove the IPC.
Installation Procedure
1. Connect the IPC electrical connector.
2. Position the IPC to the steering column bracket.
3. Verify that the IPC retaining tab (1) is positioned correctly to the steering column bracket (2).
Notice
Use the correct fastener in the correct location. Replacement fasteners must be the correct part number for that application. Fasteners requiring replacement or fasteners requiring the use of thread locking compound or sealant are identified in the service procedure. Do not use paints, lubricants, or corrosion inhibitors on fasteners or fastener joint surfaces unless specified. These coatings affect fastener torque and joint clamping force and may damage the fastener. Use the correct tightening sequence and specifications when installing fasteners in order to avoid damage to parts and systems.
4. Install the retaining screws that secure the IPC to the steering column bracket.
Tighten
Tighten the retaining screws to 3 N•m (27 lb in).
5. Connect the HUD electrical connector to the IPC, if equipped.
6. Carefully tuck the HUD electrical harness (1) down between the IPC and the HUD as shown.
7. Install the I/P upper trim pad. Refer to Trim Pad Replacement - Instrument Panel (I/P) Upper .
8. Connect the negative battery cable.
Tighten
Tighten the bolt to 15 N•m (11 lb ft).
9. Program the transmitters. Refer to Transmitter Programming in Keyless Entry.
10. Synchronize the transmitters. Refer to Transmitter Synchronization in Keyless Entry.

Trim Pad Replacement - Instrument Panel (I/P) Upper
Removal Procedure

1. Remove the console. Refer to Console Replacement .
2. Remove the IP accessory trim plate. Refer to Trim Plate Replacement - Instrument Panel (I/P) Accessory .
3. Remove the driver knee bolster trim panel. Refer to Trim Panel Replacement - Knee Bolster .
4. Remove the instrument panel compartment. Refer to Compartment Replacement - Instrument Panel (I/P) .
5. Remove the windshield defroster grille. Refer to Defroster Grille Replacement .
6. Insert the DRL and sunload sensors, if equipped, into the nearest openings in the windshield defroster duct.
Moving the sensors into the defroster duct provides additional clearance to remove the trim pad.
7. Remove the windshield side garnish moldings. Refer to Windshield Side Garnish Molding Replacement in Interior Trim.
8. Remove the screws retaining the upper trim pad to the defroster duct.
9. Remove the screws retaining the upper trim pad to the LH and RH hinge pillars.

10. Remove the screws retaining the IP cluster bezel to the upper trim pad.
11. Remove the screws retaining the upper trim pad to the driver knee bolster outer bracket and the center support bracket.
12. Remove the screw retaining the upper trim pad to the passenger SIR bracket.

13. Tilt the steering wheel to the lowest position.
14. Lift the rearward edge of the upper trim pad approximately 5 cm (2 in) to provide clearance for the air distribution duct located on the underside of the trim pad.
15. SLOWLY pull the upper trim pad away from the windshield while guiding the tabs on the LH and RH side of the trim pad past the hinge pillars.

16. Disconnect the hazard warning switch electrical connector.
17. Remove the upper trim pad from the vehicle.
Installation Procedure

1. Connect the hazard warning switch electrical connector.
2. Install the IP upper trim pad into position.
A. Tilt the forward edge of the trim pad down slightly.
B. SLOWLY begin to move the trim pad into position while guiding the tabs on the LH and RH side of the trim pad past the hinge pillars.
C. Locate the trim pad by guiding the alignment notch on the underside of the pad onto the alignment pin on the dash panel.
D. Lower the rearward edge of the pad into place.
Remove the DRL and sunload sensors, if equipped, from the openings in the windshield defroster duct and position above the trim pad.

Notice
Use the correct fastener in the correct location. Replacement fasteners must be the correct part number for that application. Fasteners requiring replacement or fasteners requiring the use of thread locking compound or sealant are identified in the service procedure. Do not use paints, lubricants, or corrosion inhibitors on fasteners or fastener joint surfaces unless specified. These coatings affect fastener torque and joint clamping force and may damage the fastener. Use the correct tightening sequence and specifications when installing fasteners in order to avoid damage to parts and systems.
Install the screws retaining the upper trim pad to the windshield defroster duct.
Tighten
Tighten the IP upper trim pad to windshield defroster duct screws to 1.9 N•m (17 lb in).
Install the screws retaining the upper trim pad to the LH and RH hinge pillars.
Tighten
Tighten the IP upper trim pad to LH and RH hinge pillar screws to 2.5 N•m (22 lb in).
Install the screws retaining the upper trim pad to the driver knee bolster outer bracket, the center support bracket and the passenger SIR bracket.
Tighten
o Tighten the IP upper trim pad to driver knee bolster outer bracket screw to 1.9 N•m (17 lb in).
o Tighten the IP upper trim pad to IP center support bracket screws to 1.9 N•m (17 lb in).
o Tighten the IP upper trim pad to passenger SIR bracket screw to 1.9 N•m (17 lb in).
Install the screws retaining the IP cluster bezel to the upper trim pad.
Tighten
Tighten the IP cluster bezel to IP upper trim pad screws to 1.3 N•m (12 lb in).
Install the windshield side garnish moldings. Refer to Windshield Side Garnish Molding Replacement in Interior Trim.
Install the windshield defroster grille. Refer to Defroster Grille Replacement .
Install the instrument panel compartment. Refer to Compartment Replacement - Instrument Panel (I/P) .
Install the driver knee bolster trim panel. Refer to Trim Panel Replacement - Knee Bolster .
Install the IP accessory trim plate. Refer to Trim Plate Replacement - Instrument Panel (I/P) Accessory .
Install the console. Refer to Console Replacement .

Joe Babe 02-16-2012 03:09 PM

pain in the arse,great results thou

$$$frumnuttin' 02-16-2012 06:41 PM

5 Attachment(s)
DeeGee...are you trying to scare him away????:D Great writeup!:thumbs:

Ok, here is some more info i forgot to mention earlier. Once out of the car take the cluster indoors and work on the kitchen table or a clean workbench. This is the time to have a clear head, and maybe a couple diet cokes handy.:D The disassembly of the cluster is a little cumbersome and delicate at the same time....keep everything organized and you will do fine...take pictures as you go so you can remember the steps in reverse...don't get fingerprints on any surface where they will be seen, like inside the clear lens. This is the time to perform any other mods such as painting the bezel, or the background of the speedo. Here are some pics to show you what to expect and what you can do at this point:

The electronics once removed...those are UV lights on the sides...careful with those.

Attachment 48184524

the bezel.....

Attachment 48184525

paint work....silver to match rings...torch red to match body color

Attachment 48184526

coming together....

Attachment 48184527

final product...caution...omit clearcoat to prevent glare!

Attachment 48184528

you can do this over a few days if you like...if I am not mistaken, the car will start and is still driveable without the cluster...it's been so long I can't exactly remember...but I have driven my car with a lot of stuff missing from the dash at one time or another, and I think this was one of them. Best of luck and show us your results!

Sinister-Z 02-16-2012 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by TR6speed (Post 1580020318)
As I mentioned in my first post just follow the instruction. here is a link to the instructions.

http://www.vetteessentials.com/instr...zel_howto.html

These are good instructions. I'll be following this guide when I finally decide to install mine.

Sinister-one 02-16-2012 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by ZR1.US (Post 1580019428)
Looking to add the polished rings around the instruments in the cluster.

Anyone know how hard of a job it is to remove and re-install the cluster?

Is this for the professional only? Thanks

Simple......

Remove center console.

Remove radio / AC bezel.

Remove knee bolster.

Remove bolt holding up steering wheel / column.

Remove torx sscrews holding gauge cluster, pull cluster forward and unplug.

DONE !

ArmyVette24 07-28-2015 10:27 PM

The link by BWF07 made removal and installation a breeze. Thank you!
:yesnod: