CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C5 General (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-general-103/)
-   -   How can I fix my targa top leak?? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-general/2980676-how-can-i-fix-my-targa-top-leak.html)

427TTA4 01-10-2012 06:59 PM

How can I fix my targa top leak??

Well I just hate it when my top leaks and I dont even know about it.I walked to my car and turned it on from a 2 month sit and I got inside and theirs some kind of mold barely showing on the pass side door panel :willy: so the only thing that would cause it to leak would be the top.Is their a company that sells them or any method that I can restore the weather stripping..Oh and its a coupe thanks

Vetteman Jack 01-10-2012 07:38 PM

I've got some Word files that discuss water leaks and how to adjust the window/targa top for a better fit. Of course, if your weatherstripping is shot, that's a different story. If you would like a copy of the files, PM me your e-mail address.

C5FORFUN2 01-10-2012 10:29 PM

You must leave it parked out in the weather, so extra care is needed to keep the weather stripping protected. As stated in other posts, most use dielectric grease and or Aerospace 505. The dielectric grease will help seal the areas where the side ws meets the front and the rear ws especially. Replacements are readily available from Wilcox and other forum sponsors too.:thumbs:

luckyirishguy 01-11-2012 12:31 AM

any1 know where to get targa replacement stripping that doesnt cost so much?

22tdrew@gmail.com 07-23-2013 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by Vetteman Jack (Post 1579700005)
I've got some Word files that discuss water leaks and how to adjust the window/targa top for a better fit. Of course, if your weatherstripping is shot, that's a different story. If you would like a copy of the files, PM me your e-mail address.

If you still have the Word files available, I would like a copy:

22tdrew@gmail.com

seu318 07-23-2013 08:39 PM

luckyirishguy - allow me to be a cautionary tale - - i too was shocked by the OEM replacement cost for the targa top seal, and I ended up getting the 'off brand el cheapo' version. Went in ok, but lasted less than 6 months before the hideous seams on it started to separate. My advice: Resist the urge, bite the bullet, and just buy the OEM. I need to redo mine again, as the el cheapo is completely worthless. I should have listened to all on this board who recommended to stay away from the cheap replacement. You don't want to be where I am now - having basically thrown away the $149 only to find myself back where I started - having to spend the big bucks on the OEM version anyway.

s'noJob 07-23-2013 08:56 PM

My glass top leaked for years at the rear passenger window. While replacing with the painted top, I noticed the weatherstripping was pinched - perhaps while I or a previous owner had mounted one of the tops. I was able to work the pinch out and it hasn't leaked since.

oh1vette 07-24-2013 12:09 PM

Wow, talk about karma....

Just discovered this weekend I need to replace the Targa Top Halo weatherstrip and yeah sticker shock for sure...

So far I found GM PartsDirect to be the best deal: $172.94 (freaking Zip has it for over $300)
http://www.gmpartsdirect.com/catalog/frameset.cfm

ScumOne 07-24-2013 02:03 PM

If you want sticker shock, try this...my 04 CE got hit by flying metal debris on the freeway. Couldn't figure out which trucker (of six semis) did it, so I just turned it into insurance.

The metal debris hit the windshield, targa roof, strip behind it, etc.

So all the weatherstripping on the top had to be replaced for the complete paint job.

That was a shade over $900 from GM.

I got the B pillar GM weatherstrip (the long one that covers both the rear part of the door windows and over the top) from Eckler's on a 20$ off sale for around $275. I put that in my 99 C5 and that worked nicely for reducing the wind noise I had before on the 14 year old factory w/s.

So I've spent almost $1300 on weatherstripping in the last two weeks.

Argh!

Oh 2 Fun 07-24-2013 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by s'noJob (Post 1584485042)
My glass top leaked for years at the rear passenger window. While replacing with the painted top, I noticed the weatherstripping was pinched - perhaps while I or a previous owner had mounted one of the tops. I was able to work the pinch out and it hasn't leaked since.

Kind of the same thing for me. The pin of the top had broken some of the rubber and pinched it in a way that let water run right inside. I had an inch of water once on the driver's side.

So I now make sure the pin goes where it should and the rubber is in the proper position. No leaks since.

poo23 02-09-2017 11:30 PM

Originally Posted by s'noJob (Post 1584485042)

I need a Targa top, for my 99 coupe, or have it replenished (if possible) I have two small cracks on the passenger side. Can it still be replenished, are is it time to buy a new or used one.

Slo Yelo C5 02-10-2017 09:41 AM

Along these same lines...

I bought my 2000 C5 this summer. It's had the plastic roof ("Targa" roof?) or no roof at all times. There is a decent amount of wind noise at higher speeds (70+ mph) with the Targa roof. Weather stripping looks ok (this car was never stored outside--trust me--way too clean). The "real" roof (fiberglass roof) is in plastic wrap from when I bought the car.

If I take the fiberglass roof out of the plastic wrap and put it on the car instead of Targa roof, will that reduce wind noise and likelihood of slight water leak? I need to travel with the car this spring for a week and if it rains, I don't want rain getting in the car. If there is a difference, why less wind noise and/or water leak with standard fiberglass roof instead of Targa roof?

Fcar 98 02-10-2017 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by Slo Yelo C5 (Post 1594062787)
Along these same lines...

I bought my 2000 C5 this summer. It's had the plastic roof ("Targa" roof?) or no roof at all times. There is a decent amount of wind noise at higher speeds (70+ mph) with the Targa roof. Weather stripping looks ok (this car was never stored outside--trust me--way too clean). The "real" roof (fiberglass roof) is in plastic wrap from when I bought the car.

If I take the fiberglass roof out of the plastic wrap and put it on the car instead of Targa roof, will that reduce wind noise and likelihood of slight water leak? I need to travel with the car this spring for a week and if it rains, I don't want rain getting in the car. If there is a difference, why less wind noise and/or water leak with standard fiberglass roof instead of Targa roof?

The roof in general no matter witch one is a targa. There is an adjustment for the windows in an out for the top of the windows. There is a plug on the side of the door were the latch is and behind the reflector on the inside of the door. The shop manual will help greatly. Not a difficult adjustment.

ScumOne 02-10-2017 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by poo23 (Post 1594061366)
I need a Targa top, for my 99 coupe, or have it replenished (if possible) I have two small cracks on the passenger side. Can it still be replenished, are is it time to buy a new or used one.

I have a Targa top here that I had refurbished by my local shop, that came off my 99, and I have brand new GM seals for it as well. Email me if you would like to make an offer on it all.

I just never drive with the glass top anymore.

jim@scumbackspeakers.com

muncie21 03-09-2017 08:21 AM

I need the complete weatherstripping for my targa. Looked on GM Partsdirect. Halo isn't bad ~$200 or so. However the small pieces that attach to the targa, $269 for EACH side!

Pounder 03-09-2017 09:26 AM

make sure your udders are clear of debris !!!!! might not be the top ???

midnight01 03-09-2017 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by luckyirishguy (Post 1579702593)
any1 know where to get targa replacement stripping that doesnt cost so much?

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

I'm not laughing at you, I'm laughing with you. The only way you will find it cheap is if you buy it used.
I used dielectric grease on mine and it worked for a little while, but the florida sun has destroyed it and I need a replacement. I also looked up pricing and thought I was buying platinum dipped weatherstripping.

Pounder 03-09-2017 09:43 AM

You Guys would be amazed with Chadwick's no tire sling, made all my rubber weatherstrips and moldings like new !!!!

Richard Andaya 02-16-2019 02:07 AM

Please email some ways to seal the targa top.
richandaya805@gmail.com

2002 C5 05-25-2019 01:52 PM

Please send me the information as well. I will be sending a PM as requested...