CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   Northern California (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/northern-california-126/)
-   -   Smog laws changing in 2014? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/northern-california/2979348-smog-laws-changing-in-2014-a.html)

Boomer111 01-12-2012 09:12 AM

I just read this morning that 72.3% REPORTED EMISSIONS ARE FROM POWER PLANTS.

This is from a new study by the EPA.

Chuck Tribolet 01-12-2012 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by Boomer111 (Post 1579713861)
I just read this morning that 72.3% REPORTED EMISSIONS ARE FROM POWER PLANTS.

This is from a new study by the EPA.

That's because we've done a good job of cleaning up the cars. Those
of that have lived here a while (I came in '68) remember the dark brown
layers. I remember interviewing at Burroughs Corp. in Pasadena in '72
and they said "It's a rare clear day, you can see the mountains." The
mountains were about 2-3 miles away.

doje 01-12-2012 05:16 PM

So let me get this straigh...

To be retained:
Visual check (irrelevant)
Computer mod check (irrelevant)

To be eliminated:
Tail pipe check (the only truly important part of the test)

Yup, that sounds like CARB at work. :mad:

You really want to reduce emissions? Do exactly the OPPOSITE of what they have planned. Who the F**K cares what the car looks like or whether its been modified? If the goal is to reduce emissions, then TEST FOR EMISSIONS! :toetap:

prinzSD455 01-12-2012 06:56 PM

The new law won't help me except for my wife and son who have 2000+ year cars. In fact my 214,xxx mile 93 TA just failed smog and is consdidered a "gross" polluter, one of the measurements is 3 times normal. The cars is not worth paying the fees to bring it into compliance so I will drive it until late March and then junk it. efin smog Nazis.

Chuck Tribolet 01-12-2012 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by doje (Post 1579718769)

To be retained:

To be eliminated:

You really want to reduce emissions? Do exactly the OPPOSITE of what they have planned. Who the F**K cares what the car looks like or whether its been modified? If the goal is to reduce emissions, then TEST FOR EMISSIONS! :toetap:

The ECM does a continuous tailpipe check with the rear oxygen
sensors and will throw a code if it fails. I think the net here is that
they've found that ECM test is just as good as a smog station
tailpipe test.

Chuck

c5autoxracer 01-12-2012 09:22 PM

:iagree:

Originally Posted by Z06supercharged (Post 1579683699)
They can kiss my ass. I can load a stock tune and get it smogged, turn around and load the other tune back in. No sniffer is fine with me in fact just makes it much easier to pass not running a sniffer test and plug in only. Can have a nasty cam in it, run race gas and pollute like crazy and no sniffer? Those guys are gonna love that new system. Sometimes the CARB people seem like they are going backwards...LOL

LS WON 01-12-2012 11:14 PM

Originally Posted by doje (Post 1579718769)

To be retained:

To be eliminated:

:iagree: And CARB sucks:U:U

427basketcase 01-13-2012 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by LS WON (Post 1579697771)
I have heard something similiar to this at 60,000 miles and those engines end up here to be used in cars that use those engines.:lurk:

You are correct there, I just purchased a "JDM" engine imported from Japan. It was used in a Japaneese only model Nissan 240SX, I am stuffing it into an old Datsun roadster. They are a great deal for that kind of application. It has only 33,000 miles on it, barely broken in.
We win on those. :thumbs:

bullitt4110 01-13-2012 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by Chuck Tribolet (Post 1579720377)
The ECM does a continuous tailpipe check with the rear oxygen
sensors and will throw a code if it fails. I think the net here is that
they've found that ECM test is just as good as a smog station
tailpipe test.

Chuck

except for the fact that you can in the tune change the rear o2's to say "no error reported" and it the computer will never know the difference. I dont a way that can ask for a bone stock tune to be in every car, some need it just to change tire size, gear ratio's, etc.

doje 01-13-2012 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by bullitt4110 (Post 1579725698)
except for the fact that you can in the tune change the rear o2's to say "no error reported" and it the computer will never know the difference. I dont a way that can ask for a bone stock tune to be in every car, some need it just to change tire size, gear ratio's, etc.

:iagree: I bet before the law even changes there will be someone that will design a "PCM Simulator" that will offer up a fake OBD II port. The smog shop will plug into the phantom port and the computer ($199 laptop) will tell the smog computer exactly what it wants to hear. In fact, someone is probably working on it already.

Redneck Slim 01-14-2012 09:34 AM

When this was announced in the papers many months ago,the state said that it would be using the same sophisticated and expensive scan tools that the car manufacturers use. These are supposed to be able to detect unauthorized changes to the programming. We'll see what the hackers come up with to help us.

TPSMak 01-14-2012 01:16 PM

It's going to be very interesting how the Smog/ Carb issues play out because there are some upgrades that require you to modify the ECU program AND are CARB Compliant such as supercharger upgrade kits.

I'm not sure how they're going to scan the ECU to see if it has a CARB compliant program on it... maybe they will require the companies put a "string" in the ECU program to show that it is CARB complaint.

kimmer 01-14-2012 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by prinzSD455 (Post 1579719685)
The new law won't help me except for my wife and son who have 2000+ year cars. In fact my 214,xxx mile 93 TA just failed smog and is consdidered a "gross" polluter, one of the measurements is 3 times normal. The cars is not worth paying the fees to bring it into compliance so I will drive it until late March and then junk it. efin smog Nazis.

Just use it for racing Jim.

prinzSD455 01-15-2012 03:07 AM

Originally Posted by kimmer (Post 1579735259)
Just use it for racing Jim.

Kimmer, I had not thought about it and that sounds like a good idea. I finally got my exhaust installed this morning by All Tech. Thanks for the recommendation, the car looks awesome.

NORTY 01-27-2012 02:26 PM

My 2006 Zo6 was smogged 2 weeks ago. It is tuned. It passed. It has 51,000 miles. Stock intake/exhaust.

The only thing asked by the tech was, "Have you replaced the battery or disconnected it within the last 50 ignition heat cycles?"

I said, "NOPE!" He said, "Good, we can go ahead with the test."

I'm good for 2 more years!:rock: