CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C6 Corvette General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion-74/)
-   -   2011 Corvette Grand Sport, Worst Car Ever Driven? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion/2974480-2011-corvette-grand-sport-worst-car-ever-driven.html)

SharkByte 01-06-2012 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by jimb100 (Post 1579658744)
I guess you've missed the satellite photos showing the Polar ice cap disappearing.

I just wanted to comment on this particular statement. The earth has only had polar ice caps for about 20% of its existance. The global warming alarmists use the melting ice caps as a scare tactic to get the people who aren't really interested any further then just reading talking points whipped into a frenzy but the fact is, if you take the full 4.5 billion years or so that the earth has been here (sorry bible thumpers) into account ice caps are not the norm.

No matter what the global warming alarmists try to tell you or the climate gaters try to say there is only one absolute truth. Everything changes. The climate on this planet is no different. about 30-40 thousand years ago North America was completely covered by glaciers. As those glaciers melted they left behind a landscape similar to the bottom of the ocean. The land below those glaciers had been covered by 2 miles of ice for thousands of years. Nothing grew there. one particular area of what is now northern California was, when the glaciers melted away, a desert. Eventually grasses "migrated" north due to wind and animals and then pine trees took root. Eventually a huge pine forest covered the area. Then maple trees infiltrated for the same reasons. The maple tree's canopy was higher then the pine forest and blocked out most of the ligth so the pine forest died out leaving a huge maple forest. Eventually though, Oak's made their way into the maple forest. The Oaks grew taller then the Maple trees and the Oak canopy blocked most of the light from the maple forest so the maple forest died out. After many many years of an oak forest covering the area Redwood trees took over and the Giant redwood forest killed off the oak forest below its canopy.

Thats the way the earth works. When man decided to try to manage the wildlife population in Yellowstone we killed off all the wolves and the deer population exploded screwing up the entire ecosystem. EVERY single time humans have tried purposely to involve themselves into the environment we have screwed it up. How about we leave the dang planet alone and stop screwing with it. George Carlin had it right, The planet has been here for billions of years. Its not going any where. We are. People aren't worried about the envorinment because of the environment. They are worried about the environment because it if changes to much it might inconvience them. Guess what, the environment changes and if it goes to far one way or the other it will correct itself. We might just have to be inconvienced for a while. to bad.

tuxnharley 01-06-2012 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by jimb100 (Post 1579658744)

Of course it make no sense that 8 billion people, driving cars, heating their homes with fossil fuels, raising cattle for food could create green house gasses that contribute to climate change.

So when are YOU going to stop contributing to it? Until then, you're just parrotting the current "politically correct" rhetoric. Put you actions where your mouth is, start walking the walk, or we'll all know you're just talking the talk while doing the opposite. If you truly believe that mankind's "contribution" is the primary cause of global warming/climate change, don't you have a personal responsibility to change your own behavior and mitigate your personal contribution? After all, your contribution might be the very one that reaches the tipping point!

Of course mankind "contributes" to it - everything does. Ever heard of the "Butterfly Effect" theory? Everything is interrelated. The pertinent question is how much and to what extent. The answer is that nature's actions dwarf mankind's. Global warming has been going on since the last ice age. One volcanic explosion - Krakatoa - changed the global climate for 3 years, initially by global cooling. Volcanoes, termites, and rotting vegitation in the Brazilian rain forest contribute more greenhouse gases by far than does mankind. One new volcano eruption - and you know it's coming - will again change the world wide climate.

But hey, in the meanwhile, let's all indulge our egos and pretend we can effect more change than nature itself can by legislating measures than further cripple our already stressed economy and profit special interest groups like Solyndra and their campaign contriubutions to politicians.

Lets us know when YOU reduce YOUR contribution to greenhouse gasses and global warming. I think hot air counts........:rofl:

hig4s 01-06-2012 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by Snakes & Arrows (Post 1579658999)
Interesting that in your world a person that believes in God disqualifies them as a scientist.

Obviously the theory of relativity, radio telecommunications, and computers are all wrong or faked,,, as Einstein, Marconi, and Zuse believed in God.

tdp1 01-06-2012 05:18 PM

This just in! Motortrend is the worst car magazine I've ever read!

X25 01-06-2012 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by need-for-speed (Post 1579662422)
I hear ya.

Would you not you agree that there are several self interest groups who are profiting from the theory of MMGW ?

:)

I am sure there are various interest groups on both sides. But I hope you also realize there are obvious interest groups benefiting from less regulation on carbon emissions, EPA, etc., though :)

need-for-speed 01-06-2012 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by SharkByte (Post 1579662684)
I just wanted to comment on this particular statement. The earth has only had polar ice caps for about 20% of its existance. The global warming alarmists use the melting ice caps as a scare tactic to get the people who aren't really interested any further then just reading talking points whipped into a frenzy but the fact is, if you take the full 4.5 billion years or so that the earth has been here (sorry bible thumpers) into account ice caps are not the norm.

No matter what the global warming alarmists try to tell you or the climate gaters try to say there is only one absolute truth. Everything changes. The climate on this planet is no different. about 30-40 thousand years ago North America was completely covered by glaciers. As those glaciers melted they left behind a landscape similar to the bottom of the ocean. The land below those glaciers had been covered by 2 miles of ice for thousands of years. Nothing grew there. one particular area of what is now northern California was, when the glaciers melted away, a desert. Eventually grasses "migrated" north due to wind and animals and then pine trees took root. Eventually a huge pine forest covered the area. Then maple trees infiltrated for the same reasons. The maple tree's canopy was higher then the pine forest and blocked out most of the ligth so the pine forest died out leaving a huge maple forest. Eventually though, Oak's made their way into the maple forest. The Oaks grew taller then the Maple trees and the Oak canopy blocked most of the light from the maple forest so the maple forest died out. After many many years of an oak forest covering the area Redwood trees took over and the Giant redwood forest killed off the oak forest below its canopy. Thats the way the earth works. When man decided to try to manage the wildlife population in Yellowstone we killed off all the wolves and the deer population exploded screwing up the entire ecosystem. EVERY single time humans have tried purposely to involve themselves into the environment we have screwed it up. How about we leave the dang planet alone and stop screwing with it. George Carlin had it right, The planet has been here for billions of years. Its not going any where. We are. People aren't worried about the envorinment because of the environment. They are worried about the environment because it if changes to much it might inconvience them. Guess what, the environment changes and if it goes to far one way or the other it will correct itself. We might just have to be inconvienced for a while. to bad.

:iagree: Well said !

Sounds like maybe you took a class or two in Historical Geology :lol:

BTW - I'm a believer in the bible and this theory does not offend me. Core samples, petroleum geology, and formation strata support what you are saying.

BTW - WRT the part I quoted and made bold font - kinda reminds me an awesome Rush song. Might be time to turn on the Ipod.

:yesnod:

need-for-speed 01-06-2012 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by tuxnharley (Post 1579662957)
So when are YOU going to stop contributing to it? Until then, you're just parrotting the current "politically correct" rhetoric. Put you actions where your mouth is, start walking the walk, or we'll all know you're just talking the talk while doing the opposite.

Lets us know when YOU reduce YOUR contribution to greenhouse gasses and global warming. I think hot air counts........:rofl:

:iagree: :rofl:

hig4s 01-06-2012 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by Snakes & Arrows (Post 1579662189)
:iagree: This is what liberals do when they are cornered. They cannot debate on facts as liberalism is based on emotion. This is why they scare the kids with the Polar Bears dying because of global warming or use personal attacks to temper the debate.

first, you have no idea what a liberal is. You just call everyone you disagree with a liberal, because you believe yourself to be a conservative, which you are not. Both have been completely misrepresented by the media and by those claiming to be conservatives and liberals that aren't for the last 30 years.

second, those claiming to be liberals use scare tactics, because psychological studies have shown that people who are conservative base decisions on the emotion of fear.

need-for-speed 01-06-2012 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by Ozer (Post 1579664142)
I am sure there are various interest groups on both sides. But I hope you also realize there are obvious interest groups benefiting from less regulation on carbon emissions, EPA, etc., though :)

Heres's the difference:

Let's use energy companies as an example. They provide a needed product. Without it we would still be living in log cabins heated by buring logs, lit by candles, and hot as hell in the summer. I won't even mention how many paychecks come from the e industry.

A good portion of the Enviro regs are worthy and good. Nobody in their right mind would want oil companies to be able to drill wells without cementing off the fresh water aquifers. Nobody in their right mind would want them dumping into streams or open pits. That sort of pollution needed to be stopped.

And now that it has, the greenies would be out of work if they could not manufacture a crisis (hoax). Energy companies have to comply with these superflous regs and that adds cost to your electricity bill, fuel bill, and virtually everything you consume and do because the cost of energy affects everything. For the e companies, it's about cost avoidance. Not lining their pockets. If the enviro were lessened, energy would cost loss. Since e companies compete against each other, prices would fall. Now the price fixing nancies will say it's all a conspiracy. But the compettion is there.

Now let's look at the greenies and third world countries. They are doing absolutely nothing other than collecting tolls and lining their pockets with "carbon credit" money. Third world countries and Europe are behind MMGW theory because it results in guilt dollars coming their way.

need-for-speed 01-06-2012 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by tdp1 (Post 1579664143)
This just in! Motortrend is the worst car magazine I've ever read!

Yeah !! MT sucks !!

need-for-speed 01-06-2012 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by hig4s (Post 1579664089)
Obviously the theory of relativity, radio telecommunications, and computers are all wrong or faked,,, as Einstein, Marconi, and Zuse believed in God.

I think he was being sarcastic and you just helped to make his point

;)

need-for-speed 01-06-2012 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by hig4s (Post 1579664195)
first, you have no idea what a liberal is. You just call everyone you disagree with a liberal, because you believe yourself to be a conservative, which you are not. Both have been completely misrepresented by the media and by those claiming to be conservatives and liberals that aren't for the last 30 years.

second, those claiming to be liberals use scare tactics, because psychological studies have shown that people who are conservative base decisions on the emotion of fear.

I am your eager pupil and ready to learn. Please educate me on what a Liberal is, what a Conservative is, and how they differ

As Ross Perot one said, I'm all :bigears

X25 01-06-2012 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by hig4s (Post 1579664195)

:iagree: I wanted to mention this as well, but felt that it would serve no purpose since no-one is listening. The base of conservatism, after all, is fear of "change".

In an ideal world, you should "fear" the change a bit (be a bit conservative), yet dare to question things that are wrong in our world (be a bit liberal) to adapt and evolve to a changing world. When you have both, you don't create the best policy, but it is still balanced and helps the country progress, which is the essence of democracy.

Since 2000s, I fear we've completely lost this sense of logic and equilibrium. I am personally ashamed by the dysfunction at our house of representatives. Our country has been waiting for the elections for more than a year now, while the rest of the world has been progressing on important issues. I'm very glad that at least our Fed is independent so we did not go back to another recession during this gridlock.

X25 01-06-2012 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by need-for-speed (Post 1579664286)
Heres's the difference:

Let's use energy companies as an example. They provide a needed product. Without it we would still be living in log cabins heated by buring logs, lit by candles, and hot as hell in the summer. I won't even mention how many paychecks come from the e industry.

A good portion of the Enviro regs are worthy and good. Nobody in their right mind would want oil companies to be able to drill wells without cementing off the fresh water aquifers. Nobody in their right mind would want them dumping into streams or open pits. That sort of pollution needed to be stopped.

And now that it has, the greenies would be out of work if they could not manufacture a crisis (hoax). Energy companies have to comply with these superflous regs and that adds cost to your electricity bill, fuel bill, and virtually everything you consume and do because the cost of energy affects everything. For the e companies, it's about cost avoidance. Not lining their pockets. If the enviro were lessened, energy would cost loss. Since e companies compete against each other, prices would fall. Now the price fixing nancies will say it's all a conspiracy. But the compettion is there.

Now let's look at the greenies and third world countries. They are doing absolutely nothing other than collecting tolls and lining their pockets with "carbon credit" money. Third world countries and Europe are behind MMGW theory because it results in guilt dollars coming their way.

I am sure you can create conspiracy theories to explain anything. Europe 'spends' a huge amount of money to balance its carbon print by investing in the third world countries by the way; they are not a financial beneficiary.

hig4s 01-06-2012 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by Ozer (Post 1579664353)
:iagree: I wanted to mention this as well, but felt that it would serve no purpose since no-one is listening. The base of conservatism, after all, is fear of "change".

In an ideal world, you should "fear" the change a bit (be a bit conservative), yet dare to question things that are wrong in our world (be a bit liberal) to adapt and evolve to a changing world. When you have both, you don't create the best policy, but it is still balanced and helps the country progress, which is the essence of democracy.

Since 2000s, I fear we've completely lost this sense of logic and equilibrium. I am personally ashamed by the dysfunction at our house of representatives. Our country has been waiting for the elections for more than a year now, while the rest of the world has been progressing on important issues. I'm very glad that at least our Fed is independent so we did not go back to another recession during this gridlock.

I was asked to explain, but :iagree:

To possibly expound, read this. http://honpol.blogspot.com/2010/07/w...ifference.html

last901 01-06-2012 07:51 PM

Let me try to understand what is going on here:

Here's the original post:

"The 2011 Corvette Grand Sport is the worst car I have driven." Sounds strange, right? Never in a million years would I think that someone would make such a statement about any Corvette. That is until Jason Udy, the Associate Online Editor from Motor Trend, made that bold statement only hours ago. In Motor Trend's "Best and Worst Cars Driven of 2011" article, each staff member posted their favorite and worst cars driven. Mr. Udy seems to have a vastly different answer than the rest of the staff.

Here is a link to the madness. His contribution is the last on the list.

http://wot.motortrend.com/mt-staff-p...comment-389463

I can certainly see why some would see shortcomings in the Corvette, and be disappointed with some aspects. But worst car driven in 2011? Surely there were a few worse than it. I would like to see the entire list of cars Mr. Udy has driven see see how he came to this conclusion.

Here's one of the latest posts (from page 12):

God I love this forum - it is about Corvettes isn't it? :willy:

need-for-speed 01-06-2012 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by hig4s (Post 1579665350)
I was asked to explain, but :iagree:

To possibly expound, read this. http://honpol.blogspot.com/2010/07/w...ifference.html

Awe c'mon. Don't just post a link.

'splain it to me :bigears

need-for-speed 01-06-2012 09:31 PM

Originally Posted by Ozer (Post 1579664353)

Don't you get it? Everyone agrees with the part I highlighted in bold font.

Where everyone disagrees is with what changes should be made.

Where the difference lies is in the following:

Democrats figured out a long time ago that underachievers will always outnumber achievers. So to build their power base the Dem Libs sell class envy, and a hatred of corporations as well as a hatred of successful people (as long as they are not Hollywood rich people or self loathing limosine liberal rich people like Michael Moore).

They sell votes by giving free stuff to the slackers (using the tax money earned by the achivers) in exchange for their Democrat vote.

Man Made Global Warming theory is just another tool used in this endeavor.

need-for-speed 01-06-2012 09:34 PM

let me try to understand what is going on here:

Here's the original post:

"The 2011 Corvette Grand Sport is the worst car I have driven." Sounds strange, right? Never in a million years would I think that someone would make such a statement about any Corvette. That is until Jason Udy, the Associate Online Editor from Motor Trend, made that bold statement only hours ago. In Motor Trend's "Best and Worst Cars Driven of 2011" article, each staff member posted their favorite and worst cars driven. Mr. Udy seems to have a vastly different answer than the rest of the staff.

Here is a link to the madness. His contribution is the last on the list.

http://wot.motortrend.com/mt-staff-p...comment-389463

I can certainly see why some would see shortcomings in the Corvette, and be disappointed with some aspects. But worst car driven in 2011? Surely there were a few worse than it. I would like to see the entire list of cars Mr. Udy has driven see see how he came to this conclusion.

Here's one of the latest posts (from page 12):

God I love this forum - it is about Corvettes isn't it? :willy:
What I love the most is people who complain about how stupid this thread is and yet they keep coming back and posting in it.

Like a moth to a flame :rofl: :willy: :rofl:

need-for-speed 01-06-2012 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by Ozer (Post 1579664417)
I am sure you can create conspiracy theories to explain anything. Europe 'spends' a huge amount of money to balance its carbon print by investing in the third world countries by the way; they are not a financial beneficiary.

Conspiracy theory?

Like how the evil corporations want to pollute the air and water in order to line their pockets?

But to be honest, you have convinced me that MMGW is real. I want to help in the same way that you do.

What can I do to help?