CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C6 Corvette General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion-74/)
-   -   2011 Corvette Grand Sport, Worst Car Ever Driven? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion/2974480-2011-corvette-grand-sport-worst-car-ever-driven.html)

BluegrassMotorsport 12-30-2011 04:54 PM

2011 Corvette Grand Sport, Worst Car Ever Driven?

"The 2011 Corvette Grand Sport is the worst car I have driven." Sounds strange, right? Never in a million years would I think that someone would make such a statement about any Corvette. That is until Jason Udy, the Associate Online Editor from Motor Trend, made that bold statement only hours ago. In Motor Trend's "Best and Worst Cars Driven of 2011" article, each staff member posted their favorite and worst cars driven. Mr. Udy seems to have a vastly different answer than the rest of the staff.

Here is a link to the madness. His contribution is the last on the list.

http://wot.motortrend.com/mt-staff-p...comment-389463

I can certainly see why some would see shortcomings in the Corvette, and be disappointed with some aspects. But worst car driven in 2011? Surely there were a few worse than it. I would like to see the entire list of cars Mr. Udy has driven see see how he came to this conclusion.

CaryBob 12-30-2011 04:56 PM

He can't spell either. ("per say")

69L79 12-30-2011 05:00 PM

:crazy: :crazy2: :yesnod:

glenB 12-30-2011 05:05 PM

ten percenter

greengo 12-30-2011 05:06 PM

I recently drove a Nissan GT-R and when I got home I wanted to sell my Corvette.
Same can be said after driving my friends Cadillac CTS-V...

While my Corvette is really nice,
Its out of its league compared to these two

Ramblin On 12-30-2011 05:09 PM

I do not think the writer gave enough credit to the Corvette. Freedom of the press allows his comment. IF that is his honest opinion, so be it; but I have no respect this or any of his other automotive opinions.

Clearly I made a good decision to subscribe to other automotive magazines, but not this one.

Snakes & Arrows 12-30-2011 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by greengo (Post 1579604419)
I recently drove a Nissan GT-R and when I got home I wanted to sell my Corvette.

:lol: Did you even bother to look at the GTR? You have to be kidding. It looks like at least a dozen other cars from Asia. It may be fast and handle well. But looks account for something in most peoples world.

The CTS on the other hand is one good looking and uniquely styled vehicle.:thumbs:

As for the Corvette give a ZR1 a spin then come back and tell us all how superior the GTS is. WTF...:rofl:

peter pan 12-30-2011 05:28 PM

He is a moran, many vehicles out there quite a bit worse to drive than a Vette:rock:

Mrc100 12-30-2011 05:29 PM

His judgement is wacked. The vette is not the best car in the world but it is FAR cry from the worst.

For instance, i had my truck in the shop and they loaned me a nissan versa. Now that puppy is a contender for worst car of the year. It didn't even get good gas mileage. I suppose that was because i had to drive it at WOT to hit highway speed.

Who would choose, say a Versa over a C6? I bet he wouldn't if it really came down to that.

Mrc100 12-30-2011 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by peter pan (Post 1579604589)
He is a moran, many vehicles out there quite a bit worse to drive than a Vette:rock:

:iagree:

Snakes & Arrows 12-30-2011 05:31 PM

Google his name. It is clear where he is coming from.:ack:

ravill 12-30-2011 05:32 PM

Jacktard.

American Car Haters.

I have a spread of cars from all over the world, and I can CLEARLY appreciate how wonderful my 2010 GS.

Oh wait, I don't have a POS 2011 GS!!! I bet that THAT one REALLY sucked....please...

ALMS21 12-30-2011 05:33 PM

^^^^^^

While I think MT is way off base.....anybody see the irony in this comment:rofl:

Cyber Greg 12-30-2011 05:38 PM

His comments were thin and unsubstantiated and in polar opposition of the many glowing reviews the car has received since it's introduction 3 years ago. A car that has 428 ft/lbs of torque and puts down the kind of lap times it can is anything but soulless...silly.

DonOH 12-30-2011 05:38 PM

A new GT-R starts at $90K so yes that is a different league.
A CTS-V starts at $65K, closer to a new Vette but it is a newer design.

How many Nissans and Caddys from your car's year excite you?

I think the CTS-V is nice too but so are a lot of other cars.

Jawnathin 12-30-2011 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by ALMS21 (Post 1579604633)
^^^^^^

While I think MT is way off base.....anybody see the irony in this comment:rofl:

Yup. Maybe this is him? :lol:

http://0.tqn.com/d/politicalhumor/1/0/n/U/moran.jpg

simplegto 12-30-2011 05:48 PM

Most Corvette owners and drivers are pretty smart people so we don't need him bringing down the average IQ. Some people just belong in mini vans.

OnPoint 12-30-2011 05:53 PM

Keep in mind he likes driving small displacement low torque engined cars.

Just like a lot of the writers. They spend the vast bulk of their time in cars will small engines. You can drive those cars all out a heck of a lot easier than driving a larger displacement high torque machine. With the latter, you have to actually "drive" or you'll get in trouble with it. The former is easier, more idiot proof etc.

c54u 12-30-2011 05:58 PM

he was dropped on his head

Boomer111 12-30-2011 05:59 PM

There are more nice cars than the Corvette, but it would be difficult to find anything better for the money based on performance and style.

I too like the GT-R and would by one if I had an extra 80 grand to spend. Over a GS for sure but probably not the ZO6.

Porsche turbo would be my first choice keeping it under $150,000.

This is all dreaming though so I will be happy with my LS3.

Cyber Greg 12-30-2011 06:08 PM

Motor Trend also listed the GS in their top 10 best handling cars. It ranked sixth along side the $400K LFA.

So, worst car of the year and top 10 best handling reveals a borderline personality/bi-polar nature of the reporting being done.

last901 12-30-2011 06:09 PM

Man, for a minute I thought I was on some forum for a video game. I don't know how much these goofballs are paid for their literary expertise and erudite opinions, but it does serve to remind me why I no longer subscribe to any of the US "buff" magazines. One has only to pick up a copy at the local supermarket and check to see who has the most advertisements - well, except for those male-enhancement drugs - to see what particular model or marque will get wonderful reviews in that issue.

I didn't read the article word-for-word. A couple of paragraphs were all I needed to realize my time might be better spent shopping for a new lawnmower on Craig's List. It would appear as though this whole article might have resulted from some English Comp teacher's assignment to write a critical paper on some subject and what subject is more attractive to young students and video gamers than to compare their preferences in cars they have probably never driven without a joystick.

I think I've already spent more time criticizing the matter than it really deserves. I didn't realize that Motor Trend was still in print.

'nuff said. ignore anything on this thread that wasn't offered by someone who can actually afford anything discussed.

michaelinmech 12-30-2011 06:14 PM

"Not Special - No Soul" - really Mr Udy . . . . . REALLY

Consumer Reports has an opening for reporting on Blenders . . . . .

What a JACKWAGON

Snakes & Arrows 12-30-2011 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by Gregory123 (Post 1579604940)
Motor Trend also listed the GS in their top 10 best handling cars. It ranked sixth along side the $400K LFA.

So, worst car of the year and top 10 best handling reveals a borderline personality/bi-polar nature of the reporting being done.

:iagree: Shows even many at MT think Mr. Udy is a idiot at best.

jackhall99 12-30-2011 06:30 PM

So guys, do what I just did! I contacted the Editor of MT and voiced my opinion of the writer's apparent lack of objectivity. One email will be read, and probably ignored. Hundreds or thousands may get someone's attention. :cheers:

Torchsport 12-30-2011 06:33 PM

Most print media have a special bond in its hate for all things Corvette. :skep:

Corvette ED 12-30-2011 06:38 PM

Every Corvette owner should call and cancel their subscription.

jb_va2001 12-30-2011 06:45 PM

The others name cheap econoboxes. Makes sense, I believe them. There are a lot of crappy cars out there and these guys drive them also. But a Corvette? Seriously. :crazy2: They must pay him waaaay too much.

CACTI 1 12-30-2011 06:46 PM

Wtf ???

Can somebody tell me what the hell is a

Moran ???

jackhall99 12-30-2011 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by Corvette ED (Post 1579605219)

:iagree: But let them know why. Then it registers to the bean-counters. :cheers:

jackhall99 12-30-2011 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by c6corvette (Post 1579605295)

Moran ???

I've ignored the typo, knowing he meant moron. :cheers:

Corvette ED 12-30-2011 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by Snakes & Arrows (Post 1579604611)
Google his name. It is clear where he is coming from.:ack:

I just did and it says he is an escaped mental patient suffering from breathing in too much foreign exhaust fumes!!!

If he is found place him in a Fiat 500C for two hours and let him listen to Boy George CD's

Cyber Greg 12-30-2011 06:55 PM

Moran ???

Moran, as in Erin Moran. She played Joni Cunningham on the long running sit/com Happy Days. But after her failed one season spin-off, Joni loves Chachi, was never heard from again.

So, to be a Moran is to have minimal talent, exploit it, be called out for it and then quickly fade away.

Don't be a Moran.

I'm pretty sure that's what he meant.

Garibaldi 12-30-2011 07:03 PM

I've got a 2011 GS. I used to have a 94 Lotus Esprit S4.

Car mag writers used to get woodies over the Esprit. Nice car but a total POS and a parts whore. Go figure.

This guy doesn't like the GS. So it goes.

GP

tuxnharley 12-30-2011 07:05 PM

Moran ???

I think it's the same thing as the oft derided "Maroon"............:D

tuxnharley 12-30-2011 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by jackhall99 (Post 1579605317)
I've ignored the typo, knowing he meant moron. :cheers:

Typo? I dunno, on my standard QWERTY keyboard the "o" and the "a" are about as far apart as is possible............ hard to make a "typo" like that............:lol:

greengo 12-30-2011 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by Snakes & Arrows (Post 1579604465)
:lol: Did you even bother to look at the GTR? You have to be kidding. It looks like at least a dozen other cars from Asia. It may be fast and handle well. But looks account for something in most peoples world.

The CTS on the other hand is one good looking and uniquely styled vehicle.:thumbs:

As for the Corvette give a ZR1 a spin then come back and tell us all how superior the GTS is. WTF...:rofl:

Yes I looked it over and unlike my C6 Corvette.....His A/C didnt go out after 3000 miles, he hasnt had to have 2 batteries in two years, the roof hasnt had to be replaced twice, he didnt have a rear seal leaking oil, his headlight didnt develope a crack........
Oh did I mention it will run circles around a Corvette...Unless of course you want to spend 150K for a ZR1

4thC4at60 12-30-2011 07:22 PM

You guys got your panties in a wad over this?

But, the biggest disappointment for me would have to be Chevrolet Corvette Grand Sport – surprising because I have always preferred the simplicity of American cars over exotics. Is the Grand Sport fast? YES! But, it just didn’t feel special, like it had no soul, which is a shame for a car with an uninterrupted nameplate dating back to 1953. Hopefully GM can improve the C7 Corvette and ignite some passion back into America’s sports car (and ditch the transverse mono-leaf suspension).

All he did was tell GM/Chevrolet to get its act together.

You're much much much too sensitive. Heaven forbid someone bash your car. :rofl:

Tour18 12-30-2011 07:22 PM

Motor Trend. That's the magazine that caters to Samsonite collectors and Honda powered garden appliances, right?

Give the guy a break. He probably rides a bus to work.

Mike Campbell 12-30-2011 07:27 PM

greengo:Yes I looked it over and unlike my C6 Corvette.....His A/C didnt go out after 3000 miles, he hasnt had to have 2 batteries in two years, the roof hasnt had to be replaced twice, he didnt have a rear seal leaking oil, his headlight didnt develope a crack........
Oh did I mention it will run circles around a Corvette...Unless of course you want to spend 150K for a ZR1

Has it ever occurred to you, Mr. Greengo ( maybe I should say Al Gore Jr) that YOU are the cause for all your problems?? I drove a GTR....and found it to be a large rattlely ass turd. Was way too fragile ( they blow trannies like Al Gore does BS) and was warned by the saleman not to break the car. :leaving: Perhaps, you should get off the Corvette forum and join the Nissan leagues. If you cannot say something positive...and love the GTR's go buy one. Betcha don't bitch when you blow the tranny and engine will ya??:smash:

fyreline 12-30-2011 07:46 PM

OK, OK . . . relax, guys. Articles such as these are written to elicit a response - and it's a pretty well-known fact in automotive journalism circles that NO ONE responds as vehemently to a slight of their chosen car as we Corvette owners do. We have a car we are justly proud of, that can (and does) represent itself well on both the street and the track, providing true world-class performance at Chevrolet prices. The numbers don't lie, the hack writers do. If you have to rely on any - or every - automotive writer to validate your choice of a Corvette, you will be frequently disappointed. I have enough confidence in my own judgement and in my C6 that I don't need someone else's opinion (and remember that's all it is) to tell me whether my choice passes his muster or not.

So while we may rail against the inequity and iniquity of what Mr. Udy wrote, beat our collective chests and declare "Them's fightin' words!", inform him his parents were never married, and collectively cancel our subsriptions to his rag of a mag (What WILL the birds use now?) . . . in the end, what he says shouldn't bother us as nearly as much as it does. We are not held captive by other people's opinions, or at least we shouldn't be. If Mr. Udy doesn't care for the C6 Corvette, that's his loss. I say bravo - it leaves one more Corvette available for one of the many thousands who have wanted one all their lives, and who will appreciate the exceptional driving experience and value it provides every time you start it. Guys like me. And you.

Not him. F__k him.

Now go for a drive . . . you'll feel better, and discover all over again just how wrong he was.

hiperfman 12-30-2011 07:47 PM

Feck Jason Udy the Associate Online Editor & Motor Trend magazine!!!

:ack:

GQMGT 12-30-2011 07:54 PM

Can't speak as to the GT-R, but my C6 will turn more heads and draw more praise than a CTS-V any day.....

Don-Vette 12-30-2011 07:56 PM

Motor Trend? LMAO!!!! nuff said. :lol::lol:

Tour18 12-30-2011 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by Mike Campbell (Post 1579605640)
I drove a GTR....and found it to be a large rattlely ass turd.

When I've been around at the end of the event and cars are ferried back from Motorsports Ranch, when there has been a GTR, everybody wanted to drive something else. Nobody ever said, "I've got the GTR"...

torquetube 12-30-2011 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by redvette77 (Post 1579604326)
"The 2011 Corvette Grand Sport is the worst car I have driven." Sounds strange, right? Never in a million years would I think that someone would make such a statement about any Corvette. That is until Jason Udy, the Associate Online Editor from Motor Trend, made that bold statement only hours ago.

That quotation appears nowhere in the article. You are misleading members of this forum by misrepresenting what he wrote, which was:
Trying to figure out the worst car I drove in 2011 is only slightly easier than deciding on the best car I drove all year. The TSX wagon comes to mind – nothing wrong with it per say, it just didn’t wow me. The VW Jetta TDI was equally disappointing. The power was nice and the DSG shifts insanely fast, but the stark interior with hard plastics wasn’t enough. The Fiat 500 Sport manual was much slower than I expected. But, the biggest disappointment for me would have to be Chevrolet Corvette Grand Sport – surprising because I have always preferred the simplicity of American cars over exotics. Is the Grand Sport fast? YES! But, it just didn’t feel special, like it had no soul, which is a shame for a car with an uninterrupted nameplate dating back to 1953. Hopefully GM can improve the C7 Corvette and ignite some passion back into America’s sports car (and ditch the transverse mono-leaf suspension).
So the guy doesn't share our taste in cars, and he's bought into a common misconception about the mono-leafs. This is much ado about nothing.

BluegrassMotorsport 12-30-2011 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by torquetube (Post 1579606160)
That quotation appears nowhere in the article. You are misleading members of this forum by misrepresenting what he wrote, which was:
Trying to figure out the worst car I drove in 2011 is only slightly easier than deciding on the best car I drove all year. The TSX wagon comes to mind – nothing wrong with it per say, it just didn’t wow me. The VW Jetta TDI was equally disappointing. The power was nice and the DSG shifts insanely fast, but the stark interior with hard plastics wasn’t enough. The Fiat 500 Sport manual was much slower than I expected. But, the biggest disappointment for me would have to be Chevrolet Corvette Grand Sport – surprising because I have always preferred the simplicity of American cars over exotics. Is the Grand Sport fast? YES! But, it just didn’t feel special, like it had no soul, which is a shame for a car with an uninterrupted nameplate dating back to 1953. Hopefully GM can improve the C7 Corvette and ignite some passion back into America’s sports car (and ditch the transverse mono-leaf suspension).
So the guy doesn't share our taste in cars, and he's bought into a common misconception about the mono-leafs. This is much ado about nothing.

His task, as an author in the thread, was to post the car he thought was the worst he had driven in 2011. That is the car he chose to post. He didn't have to say anything. He posted and wrote about the Grand Sport under a heading that reads "Worst Car", written in larger, bold font.

torquetube 12-30-2011 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by redvette77 (Post 1579606242)
His task, as an author in the thread, was to post the car he thought was the worst he had driven in 2011. That is the car he chose to post. He didn't have to say anything. He posted and wrote about the Grand Sport under a heading that reads "Worst Car", written in larger, bold font.

You put a paraphrase between quotation marks and attributed it to Jason Udy. That's dishonest. Especially when it's so misrepresentative of what was actually written.

RULEMKR 12-30-2011 09:19 PM

Originally Posted by fyreline (Post 1579605810)
OK, OK . . . relax, guys. Articles such as these are written to elicit a response - and it's a pretty well-known fact in automotive journalism circles that NO ONE responds as vehemently to a slight of their chosen car as we Corvette owners do. We have a car we are justly proud of, that can (and does) represent itself well on both the street and the track, providing true world-class performance at Chevrolet prices. The numbers don't lie, the hack writers do. If you have to rely on any - or every - automotive writer to validate your choice of a Corvette, you will be frequently disappointed. I have enough confidence in my own judgement and in my C6 that I don't need someone else's opinion (and remember that's all it is) to tell me whether my choice passes his muster or not.

So while we may rail against the inequity and iniquity of what Mr. Udy wrote, beat our collective chests and declare "Them's fightin' words!", inform him his parents were never married, and collectively cancel our subsriptions to his rag of a mag (What WILL the birds use now?) . . . in the end, what he says shouldn't bother us as nearly as much as it does. We are not held captive by other people's opinions, or at least we shouldn't be. If Mr. Udy doesn't care for the C6 Corvette, that's his loss. I say bravo - it leaves one more Corvette available for one of the many thousands who have wanted one all their lives, and who will appreciate the exceptional driving experience and value it provides every time you start it. Guys like me. And you.

Not him. F__k him.

Now go for a drive . . . you'll feel better, and discover all over again just how wrong he was.

As my college age son would say... !!! BOOM !!!.

Zogs2011 12-30-2011 09:27 PM

Now I remember why I don't subscribe to or buy motor trend:crazy2:

Raazor 12-30-2011 09:35 PM

He's allowed to his opinion. flush the sand out of your pussy and move on. :yesnod:

BluegrassMotorsport 12-30-2011 09:51 PM

Originally Posted by torquetube (Post 1579606576)
You put a paraphrase between quotation marks and attributed it to Jason Udy. That's dishonest. Especially when it's so misrepresentative of what was actually written.

It isn't misrepresentative at all. He was asked to post the worst car that he drove in 2011. He posted the Grand Sport. Period. It doesn't matter what he said in the article. If he wanted to talk about how disappointed he was with the Grand Sport, he could have created a new thread about it.

WestPalmCorvette 12-30-2011 09:52 PM

Originally Posted by Raazor (Post 1579606709)
He's allowed to his opinion. flush the sand out of your pussy and move on. :yesnod:

Agree
He's entitled to his opinion
Nothing to get bent out of shape about

BluegrassMotorsport 12-30-2011 09:55 PM

Originally Posted by WestPalmCorvette (Post 1579606829)
Agree
He's entitled to his opinion
Nothing to get bent out of shape about

No one is bent out of shape, or at least I'm not. I am just curious as to hoe he came to his conclusion. It certainly wasn't the response I was expecting.

laconiajack 12-30-2011 10:00 PM

Motor Trend rated the Corvette Z06 as number one for best handling car they drove in 2011, and the Grand Sport tied for sixth place. Pretty damn good showing I would say!

torquetube 12-30-2011 10:01 PM

Originally Posted by redvette77 (Post 1579606820)

Originally Posted by torquetube (Post 1579606576)

It isn't misrepresentative at all. He was asked to post the worst car that he drove in 2011. He posted the Grand Sport. Period. It doesn't matter what he said in the article. If he wanted to talk about how disappointed he was with the Grand Sport, he could have created a new thread about it.

The inflammatory paraphrase you wrote does not stipulate "in 2011," and even if it did, it would still be a paraphrase. An invented quotation.

It doesn't matter what you think of the author. It doesn't matter if the person being misquoted is Osama Bin Laden. A misquotation is a deception, and I don't like being lied to.

BluegrassMotorsport 12-30-2011 10:05 PM

Originally Posted by torquetube (Post 1579606896)
The inflammatory paraphrase you wrote does not stipulate "in 2011," and even if it did, it would still be a paraphrase. An invented quotation.

It doesn't matter what you think of the author. It doesn't matter if the person being misquoted is Osama Bin Laden. A misquotation is a deception, and I don't like being lied to.

Then save your clicks for another thread.

Torchsport 12-30-2011 10:24 PM

Originally Posted by laconiajack (Post 1579606895)
Motor Trend rated the Corvette Z06 as number one for best handling car they drove in 2011, and the Grand Sport tied for sixth place. Pretty damn good showing I would say!

Grow up.

TKgs2010 12-31-2011 12:40 AM

Originally Posted by Snakes & Arrows (Post 1579604465)

:eek:It's all subjective, it's HIS OPINION, nothing more.I've driven a few GTR's and CTS V's, and both are great cars, but I prefer my GS. I have the money to buy most any "toy", but the GS worked best for ME, so that's what I bought. In my mind neither of those cars is a direct competitor to the GS anyway. I take it from the source, he's in the vast minority, there are LOTS of very happy GS owners out there.:yesnod:

TKgs2010 12-31-2011 12:45 AM

:iagree:Google "Laguna Seca Hot Laps" it shows Pro driver Randy Pobst driving and commenting on each car. The fast group did laps in the mid 1:36 range, the ZO6 was in the LOW 1:34's. The timer doesn't lie, so good showing Corvette! If that's a bad car, I'm glad I own one.:yesnod:

rayk 12-31-2011 12:46 AM

:cheers:

Originally Posted by Torchsport (Post 1579607049)
Grow up.

TKgs2010 12-31-2011 12:50 AM

:iagree:Google "Laguna Seca Hot Laps" it shows Pro driver Randy Pobst driving and commenting on each car. The fast group did laps in the mid 1:36 range, the ZO6 was in the LOW 1:34's. The timer doesn't lie, so good showing Corvette! If that's a bad car, I'm glad I own one.:yesnod:

54greg 12-31-2011 01:02 AM

If you like ugly and foreign:ack:

lordofwar 12-31-2011 01:14 AM

looks,handling,horsepower,stopping.dolla r for dollar best sports car in the world bar none.only people who do not own a new one or get paid to knock them stay stupid **** about them period.

steve burns 12-31-2011 01:20 AM

Obviously he has never driven a grand sport on the track. I guess it's hard to get good help.

jimb100 12-31-2011 01:28 AM

Not to put words in the writers mouth but I think he meant that the GS was the most disappointing car he drove, certainly not the "worst".

In much the same way that some people here complain about the GTR being no fun to drive since its has so many electronic helpers.

OregonC6 12-31-2011 01:36 AM

It is surprising that the writer would come up with a "worst" rating. It has me wondering how he would have rated the ZR1.

The problem with the GS is that it's really the "base" narrow body LS3 C6 in a different suit of clothes. Yah, I know, it's wider ( has more rolling resistance and wind resistance than it's narrow body sibling ). Yah, I know you can get the engine hand assembled. Yah, I know it has the Z06 oiling system and brakes.

But, after all that's taken into account the GS is basically the narrow body ( standard ) C6 with a different body. Therefore, a "worst" rating on the GS upsets me no more than a "worst" rating on the standard narrow body LS3 model would. Neither would, IMO, deserve this.

Still, though, I'm left wondering how this writer would have scored the ZR1 given he was mighty impressed with the SC on that CTSV wagon.

last901 12-31-2011 01:44 AM

C'mon you people. This whole matter barely deserves a response from any of us. Anyone sending Email or letters to the publisher is only going to encourage them to tell their advertisers that they have a huge following.

I can't believe some of you actually feel the need to defend your favorite sports car to some - what is it, "morans"? - that only want to sell magazines.

I guess though that this is a forum so anything goes in terms of discussions, but anyone who feels some sort of need to defend their Corvette probably shouldn't own one in the first place.

I'm happy with mine and couldn't care less what some editor who probably never owned an example of whatever is being reviewed. I can't believe how upset a few of you have seemingly become over this whole thing.

Get a life... :(

Jawnathin 12-31-2011 01:48 AM

Originally Posted by last901 (Post 1579608174)
C'mon you people. This whole matter barely deserves a response from any of us. Anyone sending Email or letters to the publisher is only going to encourage them to tell their advertisers that they have a huge following.

I can't believe some of you actually feel the need to defend your favorite sports car to some - what is it, "morans"? - that only want to sell magazines.

I guess though that this is a forum so anything goes in terms of discussions, but anyone who feels some sort of need to defend their Corvette probably shouldn't own one in the first place.

I'm happy with mine and couldn't care less what some editor who probably never owned an example of whatever is being reviewed. I can't believe how upset a few of you have seemingly become over this whole thing.

Well said. The Corvette is a great car, but its not above criticism. The response and reaction from this group has been way over the top.

last901 12-31-2011 02:01 AM

Originally Posted by Jawnathin (Post 1579608184)
Well said. The Corvette is a great car, but its not above criticism. The response and reaction from this group has been way over the top.

:iagree: but this is a forum after all. I think we would be at a loss if we didn't respect and consider other opinions. Besides, it's better than watching reruns of Law & Order and not a bad way to spend yet another evening when we can't get a date and can't remember how to play solitaire.

phileaglesfan 12-31-2011 02:19 AM

I don't pay attention to magazine opinions. This guy is a real idiot. He writes a lot of articles withe the GT-R so he probably likes that car a lot. Personally I don't care how fast it goes, it is butt ugly. If an American company built it the mags would complain about its PS3 interior looks and its ugly exterior. Fortunately it is a care that blends in with the many other Japanese sports cars.

kemomek 12-31-2011 02:29 AM

What....???????

So wait, why hasn't Grand Am Rolex Racing Series posted their TV schedule yet......??????? Oh sorry, wrong thread.......... :lol:

Triumph Jerry 12-31-2011 03:44 AM

What are you waiting for?
Sell the vette already! :toetap:

msnbound 12-31-2011 04:43 AM

Originally Posted by GQMGT (Post 1579605874)
Can't speak as to the GT-R, but my C6 will turn more heads and draw more praise than a CTS-V any day.....

Maybe a zo6 or a zr1...

CrvtBB 12-31-2011 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by OregonC6 (Post 1579608146)

But, after all that's taken into account the GS is basically the narrow body ( standard ) C6 with a different body.

And after all that is taken into account, the only difference between Megan Fox and Rosanne Barr is a few dress sizes.

johnnybravothepimp 12-31-2011 08:54 AM

I would never buy another Nissan... They suck!

4GS7 12-31-2011 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by Jason Udy
But, the biggest disappointment for me would have to be Chevrolet Corvette Grand Sport – surprising because I have always preferred the simplicity of American cars over exotics. Is the Grand Sport fast? YES! But, it just didn’t feel special, like it had no soul, which is a shame for a car with an uninterrupted nameplate dating back to 1953. Hopefully GM can improve the C7 Corvette and ignite some passion back into America’s sports car (and ditch the transverse mono-leaf suspension).

Kid's a moron. Anyone who considers themselves an authority on cars, which is what these editors claim every month, would have done the most basic of research to find out that there is nothing wrong with the transverse leaf spring. There is no way he would be able to tell the difference between that and conventional setup. The rest is pure opinion and he's entitled to it, but when I got to the bit about the leaf spring, his credibility died.

Wayne O 12-31-2011 09:26 AM

Everyone's entitled to their biased opinion. Fortunately, we're allowed to disagree. I don't subscribe to Motor Trend and I don't concur with his assessment of the GS. I tend to think his opinion of the GS was set before he ever got behind the wheel. No matter...it's all good.

He's a Masai warrior??? I think you mean he's a moron (or a maroon as I prefer to say). :)

Triumph Jerry 12-31-2011 09:45 AM

I'll tell you one thing, .....the Japanese just love corvettes. We have some in our neighborhood and when they walk past my garage they always say....
"RAT REERY NICE CRAR!"
And they all say it every time they walk by. I let one young guy sit in the vette, and he was flipping out!

HarleyB 12-31-2011 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by CrvtBB (Post 1579608964)
And after all that is taken into account, the only difference between Megan Fox and Rosanne Barr is a few dress sizes.

Oh boy, I sure hope you're NOT saying:

Megan Fox = C6
Rosanne Barr = GS

...now we got a stirred pot!:rofl:

Nice Ride 12-31-2011 10:20 AM

Strange, Motor trend Magazine just did a test of "The 10 Best Handling Cars of 2011" and Corvette Z06 was No 1. Grand Sport did well also. They blew away the more expensive cars of Europe and Japan. Z06 rocks! Check it out.

jackhall99 12-31-2011 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by last901 (Post 1579608174)

Young people read Motor Trend. It's no wonder they don't care for the "worst" car (Corvette) when that label is used in car magazines. :cheers:

thirtythird 12-31-2011 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by 4thC4at60 (Post 1579605601)
You guys got your panties in a wad over this?

All he did was tell GM/Chevrolet to get its act together.

You're much much much too sensitive. Heaven forbid someone bash your car. :rofl:

The leaf spring setup goes back to Argus. How does that not give it some soul? It is a very compact and light design and does the job and the handling numbers prove that. There are other advantages.

Having said that, the car can easily be converted to a coil-over setup for the few owners that want it. The car is a great platform and has a huge amount of after market going for it. What's not to like?

Starting price is great also.

Don't take away features that work, are unique, and are part of the Corvette design and have a lineage just because.

Besides, what is "soul" when it comes to a car? Just seems like a way for someone to say "I don't like it, but I can't really quantify it."

jb_va2001 12-31-2011 11:26 AM

I'd have expected the "worst car" any MT editor to drive would be a cheap econobox, something any car over $25K would easily beat. "Worst car" was used by one person, Jason Udy, the Associate Online Editor. His opinion is his opinion, we're all entitled to them. "Soul" is a pretty ambiguous term. My bet, Udy picked Corvette to be controversial, nothing more.

Cheers,
JB

thirtythird 12-31-2011 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by OregonC6 (Post 1579608146)
It is surprising that the writer would come up with a "worst" rating. It has me wondering how he would have rated the ZR1.

The problem with the GS is that it's really the "base" narrow body LS3 C6 in a different suit of clothes. Yah, I know, it's wider ( has more rolling resistance and wind resistance than it's narrow body sibling ). Yah, I know you can get the engine hand assembled. Yah, I know it has the Z06 oiling system and brakes.

But, after all that's taken into account the GS is basically the narrow body ( standard ) C6 with a different body. Therefore, a "worst" rating on the GS upsets me no more than a "worst" rating on the standard narrow body LS3 model would. Neither would, IMO, deserve this.

Still, though, I'm left wondering how this writer would have scored the ZR1 given he was mighty impressed with the SC on that CTSV wagon.

If the GS was not tracked then he may as well have driven a base coupe.

thirtythird 12-31-2011 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by jb_va2001 (Post 1579610198)
I'd have expected the "worst car" any MT editor to drive would be a cheap econobox, something any car over $25K would easily beat. "Worst car" was used by one person, Jason Udy, the Associate Online Editor. His opinion is his opinion, we're all entitled to them. "Soul" is a pretty ambiguous term. My bet, Udy picked Corvette to be controversial, nothing more.

Cheers,
JB

Sounds about right. I bet those guys are high-fiving themselves based on reactions from Vette owners. It is a large audience compared to other performance cars.

Even so, this kind of thing is getting old. Why I don't subscribe to any car mags anymore.

JC7 12-31-2011 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by jackhall99 (Post 1579605142)
So guys, do what I just did! I contacted the Editor of MT and voiced my opinion of the writer's apparent lack of objectivity. One email will be read, and probably ignored. Hundreds or thousands may get someone's attention. :cheers:

Damn I love my 2011 GS Vert, he has a right for his 2 cents, now MT needs to can his a$$, he is in the wrong business...:smash:

PittMD1 12-31-2011 12:03 PM

If it did not look so bad ass and handle so good and give me goose bumps ever time I step on the gas I would not even consider getting one.

Really glad I dodged that bullet! I almost bought a 2011 :willy:

MO POWR 12-31-2011 12:15 PM

I sold my 2009 CTS-V so I could get the GS. As said, the Caddy was nice but it's not a sports car.

P0234 12-31-2011 12:26 PM

After reading the article it seems more like the author gets an F for not doing his assignment correctly. The article title is worst cars, but it seems like he wrote about the cars he was most disappointed in after driving them. I don't think he thinks the vette is the worst car, it seems he expected more and was let down.

jb_va2001 12-31-2011 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by P0234 (Post 1579610694)
After reading the article it seems more like the author gets an F for not doing his assignment correctly. The article title is worst cars, but it seems like he wrote about the cars he was most disappointed in after driving them. I don't think he thinks the vette is the worst car, it seems he expected more and was let down.

need-for-speed 12-31-2011 12:47 PM

^^^^^^

I know what you are pointing to, but believe it or not, here on the CForum, we actually mis-spell some words on purpose. Think of it as an abreviated Spoonerism.

some favorites here are:

moran
maroon
teh
pron

davidtcpa 12-31-2011 12:55 PM

BTW - It is MORON!!! :hide:

(and I am sure there will be 16 other threads about this in the next few days) :leaving:

davidtcpa 12-31-2011 12:58 PM

^^^^^^

just read this.. :lolg::lolg::lolg:

need-for-speed 12-31-2011 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by CrvtBB (Post 1579608964)

:lol::lol:

phileaglesfan 12-31-2011 01:31 PM

He watches too much Top Gear. That is where he gets his facts from. Too bad for him and Top Gear the transverse leaf spring setup is excellent on the track and in daily driving. BBC in the US didn't even show the ZR1 kicking the R8 V10s butt on the track. I don't even think the ZR1 is on their lap board. The Z06 already dusted off most cars on the board except the extreme exotics.

ATC399 12-31-2011 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by Raazor (Post 1579606709)

:iagree::rofl::rofl::rofl:

johnodrake 12-31-2011 01:59 PM

OK, so sell your Vette. Different strokes for different folks.

johnodrake 12-31-2011 02:00 PM

What's a "moran"? ;)

QUAKEJAKE 12-31-2011 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by Corvette ED (Post 1579605219)

Did that in 2008 with respect to the article titled GTR spanks Zo6.The key to its numerical rating system was it was to rate the GT even with the Vette in looks and it got a better rating in price points so that put it over the top.